Familiar Art

Samuel Sykes

Sam sighed as he sat down on a park bench at the back of one of the stores. There was a tiny grove here that was open to the public, but few people came down there as you had to meander your way through a tiny alley that was slightly dodgy. It was almost like an alcove with overhanging willow branches and tiny sparrows flittering about. In fact, he recognised one of those sparrows.

"Well hello, Scoot."
he greeted the tiny brown feathered bird. It was one of the sparrow friends that he had made one the day that he had kissed Sephora. Sam smiled at the memory. It had been a perfect moment, for when their lips touched the birds started to twitter to themselves in delight. It was like a movie... but Sam sobered a little as he remembered that Sephora was in the Hospital Wing. What a fight she had gotten into with Maria. It was too much for him that day. Not a moment after he had walked out to the cliffs to get some time off had he encountered a group of people coaxing a girl away from the edge. Poor Aroha, Sephora's friend, had been considering suicide. Luckily she had fallen back away from the edge instead, but her head had struck a rock. Now there were two girls in the Hospital Wing under his charge. It had been such a long day.

In the end he had skipped the idea of staying in Hogwarts and gone for a walk in Brightstone. Now he sat on the park bench, and his exhaustion had him drifting off into slumber as the little sparrow sat on his shoulder. Little rays of sunshine spilled on his face, warming him as he slipped into a doze.

It was term time, that meant most of the interesting people Candice drew were at school now. She decided to make her way down to Brightstone, completely bored, to look for someone interesting. Maybe a school child had snuck out or a teacher getting drunk, something interesting.

As she walked, Candice heard a voice from behind a store. She turned and saw a boy, he looked familiar. Candice studies his features, drawing him as she did. She couldn't for the life of her figure out who he was. It took a while but she finished her drawing enough to see his features and for it to look alot like him.

Candice still couldn't tell who he was or why he was so familiar. She decided to ask him. The red head approached the boy, her shadow covering him in a menacing manner. "Who are you?" Her voice contrasted with her stance, ruining the effect with it's childish like quality.

Sam was startled awake by an entirely unfamiliar voice. No, that wasn't right. It sounded vaguely like someone he knew but couldn't place. "Oh, excuse me!" he said politely, thinking that he had taken her seat. But no, she had asked him who he was. He was instantly shy and wary but too accommodating to strangers to just brush her off. Looking at her curiously, he replied "I'm Sam. What's your name?" politely.

Observant as ever, Sam noticed the drawing in her hand and was drawn to it before realising that it was of him. Slowly his cheeks began to go pink. Had she been drawing him the whole time since he was asleep? How embarrassing. Despite being weirded out, he had to admit that it was very well done.

He looked at her with furrowed brows, trying to place where he had seen her before. He only knew one or two other people with red hair, so that didn't give it away. He could only conclude that this was a sort of persistent deja vu when he obviously had never met this girl.

Candice took a step back. His name was Sam. Like your baby brother She shook the thought out of her head. Candice hated thinking of family, she didn't know why though.

Candice had blocked out all memories of her family, she couldn't even remember her parents names. Everyone who knew this, a very select few ioncluding herself, assumed it was something to do with an accident she was in when she was eleven. They assumed she had memory loss and would remember eventually, no-one knew they had died.

Candice replied, her childish voice clightly colder than it normally was. "Candice. Torres." Her surname had come from the people who had takwen her in after the incident, after people were unable to identify her and find her parents. "Why are you familiar to me?"

Far from wanting to run like a normal person would do, Sam was instinctively worried for her. She seemed very naive (although he was one to speak) and had him confused with someone else. After all, he didn't know any women that looked her age. The only people he could remember were a few boys from the orphanage, his usual friends in the muggle school, his Aunt Lola and now his friends at Hogwarts.

"I'm not sure. Maybe I just have one of those faces, you know?" He meant one of those all-rounder type faces that you couldn't seem to remember because they looked a little like everyone somehow. No, Sam did not have one of those sorts of faces, but that was all he could think of.

Just for something to say, Sam continued. "I'm sorry if I was interrupting your art." It didn't really mean much in this sort of situation. His brow was still knitted together in thought as he studied her face. No, he couldn't possibly know her.

Candice shook her head, she didn't like people with one of those faces. She didn't draw people with one of those faces. She tried to think about it but could only think of her brother, the only member of her family she remembered.

He was one when they last saw each other, just growing into his blonde hair. She remembered he got that from their dad, but she couldn't remember him. She remembered his big blue eyes, so sweet, and his fair skin. Now that she thought about it, this Sam looked alot like a bigger version of her sam. "Little Sammy Vincent." She mumbled, that was his name. Samuel Vincent.

"What on earth..." Sam stared at her for long moment before remembering that is was rude to stare. Even so, he was still completely bewildered. "B-" he began. "Ah... who are you?" asked Sam, flabbergasted. It was obvious by the look on his face that Samuel Vincent was indeed his name. "Where are you from?" He was thinking from Mars at this point. How had she known?

The only explanation that he could come up with was that she was a stalker of some kind. He didn't want to cast aspersions on her character, nor make assumptions, but how else could she possibly know his name? That and the fact that she had been drawing him. But then, why had she asked who he was? It just didn't make sense.

Candice was startled by the fuss he made. "Wha, what's wrong? I only said a name." She was looking quite worried, in case this boy had seen something or mishear her. She didn't get why her brothers name had effected him. Unless, he was just mad she had got his name wrong or something.

"I'm Candice Torres, I told you that." Her voice went higher and she began to shake, looking extremely freaked out by the boy. "Umm." She didn't know the answer to his last question. "I don't know."

He could see she was getting alarmed by his fright, and his heart began to thump. Furiously he calmed himself down. Look, you're scaring her. Explain! Sam looked at her apologetically. "Sorry, it's just..." It was probably just a coincidence. Maybe she was thinking of someone else. Oh come on Sam, how many people would have your name just like that in Obsidian? "I didn't mean to flip out. I was just a little shocked. My name is Samuel Vincent Sykes, you see." Why was he telling her this?

But what did she mean that she didn't know where she was from? Didn't everyone? Perhaps she meant originally. She may have been an orphan like him, but... But that would be too crazy, he told himself.

Candice shook her head. He looked like an older Sammy and now he had the same name. She looked at him nevously, thinking about it. It would make sense in a weird way. She hadn't seen him since he was one, so he wouldn't recognise her, she didn't look much like him except face shape and eyes and she hadn't been around, whether he had stayed with their parents (she assumed they were still alive) or not.

Candice narrowed her eyes. There was one thing she wanted to know, if he was her baby brother, wich she now assumed he was, there was a chance he had grown p with their parents. If that was so then there was they question how come they didn't come to find her. "You're adopted." She said it as a statement, but not totally condfidant about it. "Or an orphan. Or something like that."

He felt the shock of recognition run through him as what she said was true. "Both..." he said softly in answer to her question. Even though Sam could see the dawn of comprehension of her face, he was getting more and more confused by the minute. How could she possibly know these things? He only had one living relative, or so he'd been told, and they'd lived together for the past seven years.

Perhaps she was a seer of some sort! Yes, that would have to be it. Although, thought Sam cryptically as he looked at her. She doesn't look like much of a seer. He shook his head to himself, still not able to understand. "How do you know these things about me?"

A smile lit up Candice' face when he said he was orphaned, that meant he didn't grow up with their parents either. She smiled more when he asked how she knew about him.

Candcie wondered what to say. She couldn't just turn around to him and say she thought he was her baby brother. If he had grown up an orphan then he might be sensitive about the topic of family, maybe even think she was joking. She didn't know if she could handle loosing her brother a second time. "My baby brother is called Samuel Vincent. There was an accident, I lost him"

"Oh, that's very sad. I'm sorry!" said Sam earnestly (if a bit ignorantly). Some was niggling at him in the back of his mind. "I'm sorry, I must have reminded you of him somehow-" But she didn't say that her baby brother wasn't alive anymore; she had said that she had lost him. It seemed like a very strange coincidence to him and one that he couldn't ignore.

"Um...if you don't mind me asking, how old do you think your brother would b- er, is?"

He could tell that she thought that he might be her little brother, but that was ridiculous. He didn't have a family. Well, perhaps he never knew if he did or not, but that wouldn't make any sense just to... truth to be told, Sam didn't know what to think at this point. Did she really think that he was her brother? Did he?

Candice shrugged, she tried to remember her brothers' birthday. "Umm, around eleven or twelvew I think. I can't remember. He was one when I lost contact." She sniffled, lowering herself to the ground to sit. She always got slightly emotional when talking about little Sammy. The topic of parents was fine, she didn't remember them so couldn't miss them, but Sammy she knew.

Sam almost gulped when she got his age correct. Should he say something about it? He opened his mouth to tell her, but noticed that she was getting a little upset. Oh no, thought Sam sadly. She must be missing her brother. If I'm wrong, it will just make it more painful for her. I should say nothing. Besides, he thought logically. If I had any siblings, Aunt Lola would have told me so. Unless she didn't know of course. Right?

Without thinking, Sam lay a hand onto her shoulder comfortingly. "He's about my age, then. Perhaps I could ask around at Hogwarts!" There was only one Samuel Vincent at Hogwarts, and the thought made his stomach tremble.

Candice shrugged. "I dunno, If you want." She put her drawing of Sam on the ground and reached into her shorts pocket, pulling out a crumpled picture of a small boy. The boy was about one.

Candice placed the photo next to her drawing. "Tell me, do you think they look alike" They did, the face shape was the same and they had the same sort of feel about the person.

Sam blinked slowly at the two pictures, putting them together in his mind. From an artist's perspective, she was perfectly right. The little baby and the picture of the sleeping Sam looked very similar in face shape, hair colour...it just sort of seemed to be him. His heart couldn't accept it though. Not even my aunt had baby photos of me, he thought, shaking his head in confusion. This wasn't possible.

"Yeah," he replied slowly. "They do look alike." There was no denying it. This girl was his sister. She knew his name, his face and even had a baby photo to prove it. He was the right age and looked just right to be her baby brother. "So you..." Sam didn't even know how to finish this sentence.

Candice looked up at him. "Your eyes have changed. They were greyer before." She took in his appearance, her emotions welling up inside her. This was her little Sammy, she could feel it.

Candcice stood up, taking both pictures with her, and sat next to Sam. "You're my Sammy?" She looked into his eyes, her own glistening with hope and wonder.

Sorry for epic lameness.

Sam sat back down onto the bench beside her, staring at the ground. All of a sudden, he couldn't stop looking at Candice. He swallowed heavily and fought back the barrage of tears that were threatening to overtake him at this moment. "I have a family," he murmured softly. "You, you're-" You're my family. Sam couldn't help but reach up to touch her hair briefly, still in utter awe of this situation.

"My sister..." he said finally. He had an older sister. He just couldn't help it. Sam leaned forward to hug her. It was a desperate hug, born of both shock and joy that he couldn't contain.

You gotta admit, that's a bit lamer. But boy, is it is ever cute!

Candice grinned and pulled him further into a bear hug. This was her little brother, the only family she could remember. All she could do was chant 'my little Sammy. My sammy vincent' over and over.

Candice had tears falling over her eyes when she pulled away. "Tell me how you've been." She needed to know how he had survived since she lost him.

Sam was beaming at her; he couldn't help it. He pulled out a white handkerchief and carefully wiped the tears from Candice' eyes, although he didn't want to move out of that hug. As soon as they had embraced, he knew it for certain. This woman was his older sister, and he had a family now. But when she asked him what how he'd been, Sam didn't quite know what to say.

"Well," he began cautiously. "I spent the first five years of my life in an orphanage in Australia, one for muggles. Then it was discovered that I had a living relative, my Aunt Lola. She must be your aunt, too!" he realised, laughing. "You have to meet her! She's a dear,"

Sam was excited to tell her that she still had some family left, but unbeknownst to him, Aunt Lola was nothing of the sort. Someone had obliviated her as he was soon to find out.

Candice nodded at his story, it didn't sound too bad. He had a roof over his head at all times and, it seemed, he found some family before she managed it. "So you've been okay?" She had to make sure. Candice couldn't live with herself if Sam had come to any harm.

For some reason, Candice couldn't for the life of her remember having an aunt, let alone an aunt Lola. She vaguely remembered having at least one uncle, but never an aunt. She could remember bits about her family when she tried, like her daddy having blonde hair, and her mother liking shopping, small traits. She jst couldn't remember facts, like names or ages.

Sam nodded earnestly that he was perfectly fine. What it lie it would turn out to be. In the end, the only thing that was bothering him was his school friend and some sort of persistent cough that he'd had for a week. But what did that matter? He had a sister now, sod the rest!

"But please," he said honestly. "What about you? I don't know anything about you! Did you go to Hogwarts? Where do you live?" The question he really wanted to ask what where was she living before. After all, he's lived in Appleby, just past Obsidian, for almost his entire life. Surely they should have encountered each other before now if she had always been here... right?

Sam did notice her confusion at the name of Aunt Lola. Apparently she didn't remember her, although by the looks of her age, she ought to have. Strange... wondered Sam to himself.

Candice shrugger. "Well, when I was nine there was an accident. I don't remember much about it, or much before it, but i got lost from my parents, our parents, and you. I got taken in by a small family who lived in a flat together and they brought me up, giving me the surname Torres." She smiled fondly at the thought of them, they had three boys around her age too.

"They legally adopted me, a year after the accident and we moved to france so I could get used to the area i would be going to school at." She smiled at her memoried of beauxbatons. The other boys had gone there too. "When I graduated i moved here, to new zealand, and decided to get used to the area and maybe get a job. I got kicked out of my old flat a few weeks ago and got a new one closer to obsidian last week." Candice smailed again, she had met a few nice people since she had moved, and the landlord seemed much nicer than her last.

Sam shook his head in wonder. "You were very lucky," he said, glad that at least one person he knew wasn't doing too badly in life. In hindsight, he probably got the raw edge of the deal after spending some time in an orphanage before being adopted out to an elderly woman with no children. Even so, he was glad that she had done well for herself and had grown up with a family.

He wished that he too could just strike out on his own without worry. Of course she was much older than him, and for a moment he wondered at the age gap. Had they had other siblings? Had he been the youngest? Either way, he was still trying to comprehend how this had happened and how fortunate he was to meet her. Where are we going from here? he thought. Sam distracted himself with her artwork that was still lying next to his baby photo. The boy in the sketch looked tired and a bit sad. The little boy in the photo gurgled up at him, waving its tiny fists at the camera. It looked happy.

"You draw like I do," he murmured to Candice as he traced the picture with his fingertip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back