Exploring

Clarabella Mayfleet

OOC First Name
Jo-Jo [main] ღ
It was Saturday, twenty past eleven, and Clarabella, or Clara, Bella...she was boiling. She loved the old country, but she liked New Zealand. She was supposed to be attending Hogwarts New Zealand in a few months and she was bursting with excitement. It was her birthday tomorrow and she wanted some alone time before she was showered with relatives.

In a park and lying on the grass, she noticed a girl, and looked at her with caution.

Jasmine was in a park near her home in Wellington. She was bored of the constant arguing going on and so she decided to leave the house for a bit and escape. It seemed that when they argued, her elder brother would always blame her for something and not being strong enough to stand up to him, she would just have to accept her fate. Sighing, she scuffed her feet along the grass and found a nearby bench where she could sit down. As she did so, she looked around, admiring the nature and the scene that greeted her. Swinging her legs because they didn't quite touch the ground, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, letting the smell of the freshly cut lawn tease her senses. A little time passed and she watched the public wander by, enjoying the lovely day and letting their kids play near the pond. Watching with a quiet amusement, she found herself getting the feeling that she was being watched. Slowly looking around, her dark eyes located a blonde girl who looked about her age, lying on the grass watching her. Turning back to face the park edge, she sighed. If she had even the tiniest bit more courage, she would go up and speak to the girl, but the thought scared her slightly and she knew better than to make conversation with strangers, whatever their age. No, she decided she would wait for the other girl to come over and talk to her if she was so interested. After all, Jasmine wasn't the one looking at the girl first. Happy about her decision, she carried on people-watching, her favourite hobby of things to do when there was no hope with her family.

Clarabella noticed the girl had just ignored her. She found this quite insulting...but being the shy little girl she was she decided to stay put. She looked at her again with shy, desperate eyes. She walked cautiously towards her. "Um hello. Sorry I was staring." she realized she had spoken in French. "Sorry, French is my native tongue" she murmured. "I'm Clarabella." she said in an even smaller voice, looking at her shoes.

Jasmine looked up as the girl approached and a look of shock passed over her face. She smiled shyly and weakly, honestly surprised but pleased that they girl had made the effort to come over and talk to her. A frown passed over her face though and replaced the smile as the girl began speaking in a foreign language. Recognising it as French, she tried to translate, but her small french failed her. Shaking her head hopelessly she smiled in a confused manner. She had understood the first few words, but the fluency of the sentences put together baffled her and she just shrugged. "Thats ok." She muttered, her voice but a whisper in the breeze. "Im Jasmine." She smiled, curling her legs up on the bench to under her knees in case the girl wanted to take the vacant seat next to her. There was an awkward silence that rose up between them, Jaz waiting for the other girl to make the conversation. She had never been confident, and her shyness meant that she didn't make an effort in progressing the conversation until the other participant showed that they wanted to really talk rather than just being polite. Smiling faintly at the girl, she patted the seat next to her. "You can sit down if you want." She said, hoping that her attempt to talk wouldn't be shoved in her face. At the end of the day, it was good for her.

Clarabella was acting a bit shy. "Thankyou, Jaz. I can all you Jaz right? Im a bit poor at English so please correct me." she sat down next to Jasmine. She seemed shy, like herself, but Clara had seen potential in the girl. "You like draw? You enjoy art?" she asked the girl. She wanted to be friend with the girl and Ja seemed like a lovely girl.

A strange feeling went through Jaz at the mention of her nick name. No one called her that because no one had asked before and Jasmine felt happy yet confused that this girl had asked. At first, the girl had seemed quiet and shy, but Jaz guessed that this was just the original issue of talking to someone new. Clarabella seemed around her own age and Jaz wondered whether she too was going to Hogwarts New Zealand. But, there was no way of finding out without asking her plainly. However, being in a non magical area, Jaz guessed that she would just have to wait until sorting happened to find out. Shrugging the thought away, she raised her eyebrows at the next question. It seemed that after all, this girl had decided to delve into further conversation and therefore Jaz decided that there might be a good chance that they will become friends later in life. That is if they met again. Focussing now on answering the question, she smiled and shook her head. "I like art yes, but i can't draw very well." She admitted, trying to find a way to continue the conversation. "Why? Do you?" She asked, feeling slightly rude, but not sure how better to phrase it. After all, if the girl's English was as bad as she claimed, it wouldn't help if all of Jaz's words were fancied up instead of the plain truth that she meant.

Clara found Jaz nice and quiet. "I like draw too, but I can not draw well." she said, swallowing her words. Clara looked at Jaz and wondered if she was a witch. "Are you muggle?" she asked, knowing a muggle would say Wht is a muggle! but a witch or wizard would say Not I!. "I'm not a muggle. If you wonder how I know of muggles, I shall explain." she said to Jaz, nervousness racking through her. Oh Clara wished she was a witch with all her heart. Clara needed a friend. She thought that she needed to ask Poppy...

Jasmine nodded at the response, happy that she hadn't found someone who not only spoke two languages but could also draw perfectly and probably play every instrument under the sun and play quidditch well enough for a professional team. Those perfect so-and-sos did her head in, bragging about their greatness whilst Jaz could never find the right sort of courage to tell them to shove off and brag to someone else. Laughing inwardly as he thoughts strayed wildly to random memories of these people, she turned back to the girl to only hear the last 2 words in the question. Frowning as the girl obviously worded the question that Jaz herself was wondering, she looked around nervously. Seeing that there was no one else in sight she breathed a sigh of relief, glad that Clara - as she thought of her now - hadn't been overheard. "No im not a muggle." She whispered, her tone quieter and more than ever like a whisper in fear of the risk of asking. It was true, muggles didn't know what the word meant, but most of them were pushy and would nag for an answer and it never was good to tell someone about the secret magical talents that so many people owned. "Are you going to Hogwarts New Zealand this year?" She asked, gradually building up the courage to begin to ask a question now for herself, one that wasn't really a simple response to a question that the other girl made. No, now it was her making her own conversation, a sign that she wanted to be friends, was just unsure of the way to go about it.

Clara smiled when Jasmine said no to being a muggle. Jasmine hadn't seemed to be one and Clara always saw potential when people had it. She nodded to Jasmines question. Clara was very excited for HNZ. It seemed a very nice place to be. She could get away from her grandfather and her father and er mother and learn more about the wizarding world, a place her Squib of a mother refused for her to be taught. "My dads a muggle, mums a Squib, grandparents witches and wizards though. I guess that makes me muggle-born." she whispered. She didn't care about all that Purebloods are better, mudblood's suck...everyone was human. "What house you what to be in? What house do you think you'll be in?"

Frowning slightly at this girls easy manner that made her happy to expose her secret to the world, Jaz smiled faintly. Listening to the description, she frowned again. "If you're French, won't you go to Beauxbatons?" She asked, wondering if there was a special reason as to why this friendly girl was going to go to the school in New Zealand. "I don't think that makes you a muggle-born, probably a half-blood because squibs are still magical." She suggested, feeling a squirm run through her at the mention of a 'squib'. For ages, since she had been little, her brothers had always teased her, telling her that she was a squib because she never stood up for herself and didn't ever attempt to do magic. Shaking the thought away as the wind blew past her face, she shrugged lightly. "I don't know." Admitting this was big for Jasmine, because although she had been convinced that she was a squib, she was still unsure as to whether she would be accepted in the magical school or not. Her shyness restricted her and she just hoped with all her heart that she would be able to learn now. Her brothers were both home-schooled and that left her as the only one to go to the school, what with her elder sister going to beauxbatons. The relief of getting away from them was what Jaz lived for now, the thought making her smile.

Nodding at the answer about Beauxbatons and HNZ, Jasmine smiled, wondering the history behind this girl and how her parents had met in New Zealand and then moved to France. Jasmine, who had lived in New Zealand all of her life, couldn't see any attraction to moving out. No, there was no reason why Jasmine would want to, and this probably coincided with the fact that she had never really been abroad. Watching the girl frown, Jaz held her breath, trying to think if she had done anything wrong. Hopefully, if she could explain, the girl wouldn't leave her as Jasmine feared she would. Wondering whether Clara's parents had told her about it all or not, Jaz found it was her turn to frown now. "How did your parents meet at Hogwarts New Zealand if your dad is a muggle and your mum is a squib?" She asked, confused as to why the last sentences contradicted themselves so very much. It didn't make sense. But, now turning to explaining about squibs, she smiled faintly as if apologetic. "Well they come from magical families and can see the same things as we are, and they aren't muggles. I was taught that it was just like they had a strong limit as to what magic they can do. Thats why they don't go to magical schools." She explained, feeling her confidence grow slightly. She didn't want to add what her brothers always said, about squibs being a waste of space, because Jaz herself didn't believe this and it would pass down as disrespectful.

Clary frowned. "Oh, no, I'm very muddled." she took a deep breath. "My motor is a Squib, but she could still go to Hogwarts, but we always counted her as a muggle. My father is a muggle-born, so he is still counted as a muggle so that makes me muggle-born."

Jasmine frowned again at the confusion but quickly picked up what had happened. "How did your mother go to HNZ? I didn't think that squibs could learn magic?" She asked, her tone polite because she wasn't being rude, she was just interested and wanted to know. It confused her and she didn't want to be on off terms with the girl just after they had met. Squirming in her seat for a second, she found a comfortable position, before turning back to hear the rest of the girl's story. It was nice to let the girl talk, because Jaz herself didn't enjoy doing all the chatting, but preferred to listen. Wishing that she could speak better French so Clara could be more comfortable talking, Jasmine smiled at this girl again, replacing the frown with the pretty smile that framed her delicate face. Her long hair that was loosely tied back, blew around in her face and she pushed it behind her ears as the breeze teased it out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back