Expecting a Visitor

Josh continued to write down some notes. "You really need to get some real paper. Parchment is only used in the muggle world for fancy things like wedding invitations." He looked up with a devilish grin on his face. "Unless you are planning on getting married rather soon. Find yourself a lady duck?" Josh laughed, then looked back down. "There won't be any pictures on the paperwork I am getting, to protect who I am getting this for. If your father or Julian found out, you would not be the only one in trouble here." He took a more serious tone as he spoke. "Parker will leave enough details blank for me to fill in. He is good at procuring the proper documents and numbers.

Soon, Josh's phone began to ring. It played a rather popular muggle song from the mid 80s that Josh had an affinity for. "Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games..." He answered it, then snapped it shut quickly. "Be right back. Just gotta pop to Arizona for a moment and pick up the papers." Quickly, Josh stood and turned on the spot, disappearing with a pop.

Tristan rolled his eyes, although it was all in good nature. "I have a feeling there will not be any lady ducks anytime soon. And why is this paper so different from parchment? Aren't they the same thing?" He was unsure what muggles used, although he knew that it was his best bet to listen to his friend. He smirked. "No pictures are necessary- I don't want to scare anyone away with this thing," he retorted, pointing to his eye. Not only had he lost sight entirely in it, he felt that it detracted from his appearance quite a lot. He had a feeling that things would never be the same with the ladies again. "Do not worry- I do not wish to get anyone else in trouble." He raised an eyebrow. "Parker lives here? What state does he live in? Or what region, rather?" Tristan had been to only a few of the states, and mostly Northern for that matter.

He could not help jumping as raucous music filled his ears, although his smirk was broad as he listened to the lyrics. Nice song, he thought to himself, nodding to Josh as he disapparated. Very fitting. He looked about, wondering if the loud noise had awoken Erik.

Erik had rather reluctantly been put down for a nap by his father, as he was in a rather foul mood. He had been cranky before, but now, after sleeping, he was cheery again. Very unluckily for his parent he was also mischievious.

He sat up in his crib, humming loudly to himself as he hoped he would be let out soon. If he wasn't able to get out quick enough he would just have to yell out his father's name. Needing to preoccupy himself with something he was quite surprised as the crib door opened for him, not realizing that he had just performed a tiny bit of magic. Squealing in glee he raced to the door, quite jubilant to find that it was unlocked. He was soon running down the hallway, scooting down the stairs slowly on his bum. Before Tristan could do anything the little boy had scurried to the living room, having just heard the ring of the cell phone. "Whazzat?" he said out loud to his father, grinning broadly. He had not seen Josh disapparate and he asked, "Who talking to?"

Quick as he had disappeared, Josh was back with a small manilla envelope and a small plastic shopping bag. He had garnered the items to finish up the ID and papers from Parker before heading back. Parker had bought the information that he had fed him about needing the papers for himself and Blake to hide from Cloe. He set the items on the counter and turned back to his friend who was being spoken to by Erik.

"Hey buddy! You are up now! Come give me a hug!" he said to Erik, bending down with his arms open, braced for the attack that he was sure was going to follow.

Erik's eyes widened in delight as they trained upon the new arrival- he had not seen anyone apparate in weeks, finding it to be quite odd. "UNCA JOSH!" he howled, scuttling quickly towards him and trying to headbutt him in the stomach. Giggling, he wrapped his arms around the man's, having no idea if he had hurt him or not. Pointing at his father, he stated bluntly, "Trissy Poo." He gave the man a devilish grin.

"Hey there, Kiddo," Tristan said, "How did you get out of your-" His sentence was cut off as Josh apparated back with an envelope in hand, placing it on the counter. He watched as Erik attacked his best friend, frowning upon the name. "It's Daddy, or Dad if you prefer," he told Erik pointedly, smirking at Josh. "I am going to get you back for that one." Every once in a while his son would call him Trissy, and that did not sit well with him at all. Besides, he so blatantly hated the nickname.

Josh fell backwards with an oof as the little monster attacked him. "Whatever do you mean Trissy Poo? Get me for what?" He stuck his tongue out at the other man as he tried to untangle himself from the child that was atop of him. "I got the stuff. We just need to do a few things to finish them off, and you will be officially Ethan the Duck." Josh finally stood up, having untangled himself finally and moved to the counter.

He started to pull some items out and set them around. "Ok, this is your social security card and this is Erik's. You need this. It basically means you are registered with the government of the United States. Or rather that Ethan is." He shuffled a few more papers around. "This is your passport. We have to add a few more things to it, but this will get you going on establishing your identity. I need a picture for this one. We have you registered with a previous address out east somewhere." Shuffling a few more papers, he picked up another pair of sheets. "This is your birth certificate and this one is Erik's. He will need it while you are still muggles. All of these will help you to get an ID for Wisconsin. You have a driver's license in progress here for your 'old' address, and that will pave the way for you to get one here. Needs a picture and it is done." He picked up a muggle camera that took instant pictures. "Ok, lets find a good backdrop and get this under way. I need you to look your sexiest so we can do this Big Guy." Josh was joking, somewhat, with his friend.

Tristan could not help but smirk as Erik nearly toppled Josh over- it pleased him to know that his son would probably be reasonably strong when he was older. However, at this age, it was quite tiring. The little boy was a powerhouse and that made making him behave quite difficult. He responded to Josh's nickname with a discreet display of the finger, figuring that his friend would full well know it was being made jokingly.

He felt as if his head were spinning with everything that Josh pulled out, attempting miserably to memorize all of these things and what they were for. "I have a feeling I am going to be needing to study up on all of this stuff." He frowned a bit, although he could not help smirking at the sexy comment. "And you damn well know it. You want to take a picture? Where do you want me?" he stood, not sure where he was supposed to go. Come to think of it, he had not posed for a picture in a good number of years.

The little boy was detached from Josh's leg, but he decided not to pursue clutching it, his attention diverted to his father. His attention span was very short, and it was not long before he was scuttling into the kitchen, trying to jump for the bright colored envelope that Josh had brought with him. Whereas he would have made a mess, he was distracted for a moment. He had seen ducks the other day while going to a park with his father, a grin spreading wide on his face.

"Duckies go QUACK!" he stated as a matter of factly, flapping his arms a bit to show the two men what he knew. At this point in his life he was rather fascinated with animals- and pulling on their tails, too.

Josh moved to punch his friend for the gesture, then started to laugh hard as Erik started to quack and walk around the room like a duck. "You know, you are doing a pretty good imitation of your Daddy Duck there, little duckling." He kinda hoped that the new nickname would stick, as the old one could bust his friends cover pretty fast.

Looking around the room, he decided that the blank wall would work well for a picture. "How about you get over here and we can do this. Try to look a bit annoyed, well, look like yourself rather. You always look annoyed so that will work for the picture." He chuckled as he got the camera ready. "We will need to have one of Erik too. But you first. Show the little duckling how its done."

Tristan frowned at Josh, figuring that Daddy Duck was a better name than Trissy Poo, but it was bad all the same. "Don't encourage him," he told Josh, knowing that his friend would not listen to him all the same. "He already tried to go outside with his toy broomstick. We don't want the duckling to show the neighborhood he can fly now do we?" He looked pointedly at Erik, part of him envying the energy that the little boy had. Being just over the hill, as muggles would call it although wizards definitely lived longer, he found himself getting a lot tired quite more easily than usual.

He moved over to the wall as Josh instructed, crossing his arms in front of his broad chest. The ceiling was only about a foot above his head. Being used to larger spaces he was still getting accustomed to watch out so he didn't run into things. "Do you want me to smile?" he asked, standing still and very much looking like himself.

The little boy knew that he was amusing his father's friend, or Uncle Josh as he knew him, so he continued to quack and strut about the room. An idea suddenly popped into his head. "Ducky fly. Fly broom." He scuttled off, giggling as he knew he was supposed to stay with an adult, looking for his broom. His dad had taken to hiding it in high places.

Josh watched as the little one ran off looking for something. He looked back at Tristan, looking rather stern. "Well, maybe a little bit. You really don't want to look like you want to murder me in the picture - even if that is what you want to do." He thought for a second then spoke, "And maybe you should sit down so I have the angle right. You know you are unusually tall for a wizard, let alone a muggle." Josh moved to pull a stool over. "Glad you have a bit of furniture here."

Tristan grinned broadly. "Is it so easy to read my intentions?" A placid smile plastered to his face he watched as Erik scuttled off, wondering what the boy was muttering about. He had hidden the toy broomstick in one of the kitchen cupboards, a place the boy was not likely to look. In any case, he had locked all of the doors and windows twice over with magic so Erik did not really have anywhere except a rather empty house to run off to.

He took the stool from his friend, chuckling a bit. "I am going to need to pick up some more. This place is so empty." And on top of that it didn't feel lived in either. But perhaps he had just to get used to the absence of another adult in the place. Sitting down on the stool, he gave Josh a semi friendly smile, appearing not murderous but normal. As normal as a guy with an eye missing could look anyway.

Josh aimed the camera and took a picture. He looked at it on the screen, and was not satisfied. He raised the camera again and took another image. "Ok, I think that one will work. Yeah, you do need a bit more in here. We will work on that after we get you established completely here." He moved over to the counter and got to work with the printer. He was used to the speed of getting the picture to the right size and shape, so he quickly was able to print off a few copies and trim them to what he needed. With a quick motion, he finished up Ethan's passport and tossed it at Tristan. "Here. Check that out and make sure the details are right," he said, knowing they were. "Now we need that little tyke of yours to take a picture."

Tristan blinked a bit as Josh took the first picture, wondering how Josh was operating the thing. Even magical cameras he had not had much experience with. The next picture he did not blink and his friend seemed to be satisfied with it. Standing up, he moved over to grab the passport, his face scrunching up as he looked at the photo. "Damn, am I old," he muttered to himself, setting the document on the counter. He wondered how long it was going to be before he was established.

"Where is that little tyke anyways?" he murmured, hoping that Erik had not found a way to get outside. "Erik!" he yelled, knowing it would be silly to wish for his son to be obedient.

Josh laughed at his friend. "Yeah, you are. You have not aged as gracefully as my perfect face has." He moved about the kitchen, locating a glass and filling it from the sink with some water. "Buddy, you need some food in the place. Have you gone shopping at all yet?" He continued to flip through the cupboards and the fridge, looking to see what was actually there. "You really need help," he muttered as he started to make a list of groceries needed and stuff needed to make the place pass for being a muggle household. "You find the little monster yet?" he asked as he moved back to the counter where the papers were at.

"Watch what you're saying, smartass," Tristan warned sarcastically, "You're not that far from the hill yourself." He moved to one of the empty rooms, not seeing Erik anywhere. "Grocery shopping? I have picked up a few things, yes." He wasn't sure what was a significant enough stash of food however, trusting that Josh would help him with this. He hated feeling so needy but at the same time he was glad to have someone to guide him. Otherwise, he would be ultimately lost.

"Did I find him? No. I hope that he has not taken up a game of hide and seek- the little bugger's so small, he can squeeze in anywhere." Erik had worn him out countless times with these games, which Tristan had never had the idea to start. Last time, he had found the little boy hiding away in a closet in the bathroom, having schematically placed the towels in front of himself.

Erik had hidden under the counter, unable to surpress a little giggle. He grew bored of waiting for Tristan to find him however, opening the cupboard door. He grew confused as it hit someone's leg, and he looked up with wide blue eyes to see that it indeed was not his father. Giving Josh a rather mischievious grin he put a tiny finger to his lips. "No tell. Hide'nseek." Being only two and a half he trusted Josh not to betray his trust and to follow along with his game. Closing the door again he stayed in the small space, his interest reignited.

Josh laughed, then looked down as he felt the cupboard door hit his legs. "Sounds like a fun time there. Merlin's beard, he is small. Wonder where he could be at this time?" he said, his voice trying to alert Tristan to the child's whereabouts and his finger pointing to the cupboard below him. He walked away, speaking a bit loudly. "Now if that Erik would come out we could take his picture. I bet he loves to have his picture taken!" He hoped to be able to lure the child out without betraying him totally.

Tristan spun around as Josh's voice raised in volume, nodding as his friend pointed to the cupboard. "It is too bad that he is missing," the taller of the men stated deeply and rather loudly, "Considering that we were going to have cookies afterwards." He had picked up a box of odd looking black cookies with white filling that he was quite eager to try. It had taken Erik forever to stop pestering about it. The boy had quite a sweet tooth. He sighed heavily. "I guess that we are done taking pictures and we'll just have to eat all the cookies by ourselves." He winked at Josh, wondering if their ruses would bring the little boy out of his hiding place.

Erik snickered as Josh played along with him, hugging his legs as he put his head against the back of the cupboard wall. He was not familiar with taking pictures. While it made him curious it was not enough to keep him away from fooling his father. At the mention of cookies, however, his head snapped up and the cupboard door flung open. Moving quickly on little legs the little boy charged to the closest one nearby, clinging to Josh's leg tightly. "No! I here! My cookies too!" he proclaimed firmly. He was utterly fooled, shocked that anyone would dare to eat cookies without him. "Want cookies," he repeated, his bottom lip protruding in a pout.

Josh laughed loudly as the tyke attacked his leg. "Well. Cookies are a good idea, BUT you need to sit down for me and smile so I can take your picture. Think you can do that, buddy?" Josh moved a bit closer to the chair, well, as close as he could get with the child on his leg.

Erik's blue eyes brightened as he clung to the man's leg, basically piggybacking his way over to the chair. "Otay," he resolved, detaching himself and climbing onto the chair, his tiny bum situated on the end of it. Swinging his legs, he looked about, giving the man a toothy grin. "Want cookies," he repeated, wanting to get this show on the road. In any case, he wasn't going to sit still for very much longer; patience was not one of the little boy's many attributes.

Josh worked quickly, moving to set the little one up right. He bent down, and took aim with the camera and snapped a few quick images. "Ok buddy, all done. Go get a cookie from your Daddy now." He stood up and chuckled, moving to the counter to print out the picture and finish up Erik's passport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back