Early in the morning...

Isobel Hills

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Isobel strolled down to the quidditch pitch, she was in a bad mood and it didn't help that she had slept badly the night before. However, being a morning girl, she had woken up and decided to come down to the quidditch pitch to do some running. As she arrived, she noticed with pleasure that she was the only one there. Pulling her sports bag off her shoulder, she rolled up the arms of her hoodie and started to run.

When she had done a lap of the pitch, she arrived back at the benches and took a swig of her water bottle before taking her hoodie off and tying it around her waist. Stretching her arms and legs, she tried to reason the argument that she had had with Alice. Alice had turned out to be right, like always. Isobel had felt humiliated and ashamed that she had been beaten in an argument between her cousin. Normally, she would have just hit her, but there had been other people wandering around the corridors at the same time and Isobel knew that she would come out of the whole problem worst off. Sighing, she wiggled her toes in her trainers, to warm them up and set off for another lap.

Ever since she had arrived at HNZ, she had made sure that she did enough running to keep up her sportiness for when she went home in the holidays. She played for the netball and hockey team in her home town and was the captain of both. She loved sport because it made her feel free. Her dad had agreed to let her come home in the holidays so that she could play the away games. Her friends thought that she had gone to a special sports college in New Zealand and she had to keep up this charade. Of course, they had no idea that she was really learning magic. Smirking at the idea of them finding out that she was better than them, she continued running.

When she was half way around the pitch, she stopped to stretch again. As she glanced around, she noticed a figure walking towards her bench. They looked too young to be a professor, so Isobel cut across the pitch, sprinting her way back to her bench. Drawing closer, she noticed that the girl wasn't in her year and she didn't remember her from the Slytherin table. Guessing that she wasn't in Slytherin, Isobel slowed down and started walking now, so she could gain her breath back before reaching the new visitor.

Kate was strolling.Where she didn't know.She had been sad and depressed since the first week.She hadn't been herself at all and she had been ignoring her friends as well. Her eyes that usually shone were now dead and so was every thing else in Kate's eyes.But today she had wanted some fresh air and excercise.She had become very thin from lack of food.She had never been this bad before but Stefan had struck a nerve that would never heal.

Walking in towards the pitch she saw someone.She thought of going back as she didn't want to talk to anyone but decided against it as the person a first year she guessed was busy doing her excercise.So she kept on walking till she got to a bench and sat down.She was not feeling well and she couldn't stand for a long time because she would faint.Sighing she looked up towards the sky and started humming a song to herself

Isobel walked over to the girl. She didn't look very well so Isobel bit her tongue and decided to not say the rude comment that was itching to come out. Swallowing her witty language, she decided to ask the obvious. "Hi. Im Isobel. Are you ok?" She asked, picking up her sports bag and throwing it on the floor so the girl could have some more space on the bench. "What are you humming?" She asked, curiously. She vaguely recognised the tune but wasn't sure what it was. Smiling at the girl for the first time, she wondered who she was and what had happened to get her up so early in the morning looking half-dead. Sitting down, she got out her bottle from her pink bag and took a swig.

Kate didn't notice the someone come up towards the bench so she did a little jump when they spoke.She looked up her face expressionless.She knew she most likely looked pale and sick."I'm grand"she muttered wanting some peace hoping the girl would go away.Then she asked what song she was humming Kate then decided she may as well interact with someone as she couldn't remember the last time she had talked to one of her friends.She did a small smile when Isobel smiled at her for some reason it made her feel better.She sat up a little straighter "I'm Kate and the song I was singing was Overboard ever heard of it"She said smiling a little.That was the her first smile in ages and she was glad to be happy again but she knew once she left here the feeling of hurt would come back but she decided she may as well try and be happy for a little while

Isobel smiled at the girl. "Sure you are, thats why you are down on the sporting pitch really early in the morning, looking like someone just died." She said, laughing at this girls attempt to be fine when she looked half dead. "Hi Kate." She replied shortly, "Oh, that song." She added, suddenly remembering. "So, whats up?" She asked, taking another swig of her drink. "You look sad." It was acceptable to say, that Isobel wasn't really very sympathetic and didn't know what to do in these situations. Normally, she would just tell the girl to stop groaning around and cheer up for good, but it didn't seem the right thing to say. From someone who had grown up with both parents living in different countries, and whose mum had died recently, she had never really let go to her feelings except anger and didn't understand why other people did. Her mum died, her dad hates the fact that she is magical, problems don't get much worse than that, Isobel had decided so she never really showed much sympathy to anyone. "Well, if you won't tell me, would you like to join me for a run?" She asked, jumping up from the bench. Isobel wasn't one to sit still for a while in silence, she just prefered to be doing something like running and, when your friends believe that you are training to be a professional sports person, you need to keep in shape. This meant that every second sat still, in Isobel's opinion, was a waste.

Kate smiled "Okay fine I'm not okay"She said not believing she was telling a total stranger her problem.Kate sighed she wasn't feeling well and all she wanted to do was just lye on the floor and forget everything but that wasn't going to happen "Well thats because I am sad"She said simply there was no point in denying it Isobel would now she was lying anyway.Kate hesitated at the offer to do a run.She had come down to excercise but she didn't know if she could stay up for long without fainting but she would give it a go and face the concequences later. "Sure"She said getting up shakily.She took a deep breath in and started to jog.She would see how this went and if it wasn't to bad she would maybe start running

Isobel smiled. She jogged easily next to Kate, and turned her head to talk to her. "So, why are you sad then?" She asked, unsure what would make a person look this bad. Steering the pair of them around the goalposts, they started on the straight run. Smiling as she ran alongside the girl, she turned her head to hear the answer. If it was boy troubles, Isobel's advice would be to play the game as they do. If it was family troubles, her advice would be to leave or at least threaten it. If it was an illness, Isobel would be quiet. Thinking these thoughts over in her head, she realised with a jolt that this was very unsympathetic and she shouldn't say these things. Although all of these tips worked for Isobel, she didn't get the feeling that Kate would appreciate them. Turning her thoughts back to Kate, she smiled again. It was in Isobel's thought process to sometimes spill secrets, but she thought that gossiping was below her and was a stupid attempt at gaining friends. Wondering what had come over her to be slightly nice, she felt a flow of anger fill her up for no reason. Swallowing the sharp comment that she was ready to make, she stopped running and stood there, waiting to here the problem.

Kate jogged slowly not wanting to push herself as she was already feeling a small bit dizzy.When Isobel asked her again what was the matter Kate took a breath in.She wasn't sure that she should tell a stranger they might gossip about it and anyway she would probably think its stupid that she was this bad over a boy and they had only kissed twice.But she decided it wasn't healthy to keep it all in.She then noticed Isobel had stopped.She walked back to her "Okay so you probably think this is a stupid thing to be like this for but in my first year I met a boy called Stefan.He was really different and quiet and almost mysterious.He had lots of scars and when I first met him he was really quiet.Then as we went through the school year we became closer friends and then the day he was going home we met and kissed."Kate paused after that it hurt her to think about this but sje had to keep going "We agreed to meet i the Great Hall on the first day back.So on the first day I went into the Hall and there he was a fresh bunch of cuts and bruises.But he also had his head down and didn't acknoeledge Willow,Sara and me.He just gave us cold glances and said rude and mean things.It just hurt me so much to see that anger had replaced the fear he had had and also he didn't think he deserved me.So I left crying and I haven't spoken to him since.I haven't been talking to anybody since"She said muttering out the last part.She sat down on th ground as she was feeling dizzy. "Well there you go that is why I am like this"She said yawning a bit

Isobel was lost in her thoughts as Kate started to talk, and had to jolt herself back to real time. Listening carefully now, she felt like laughing, but held it back. When Kate had finished, she found herself looking at the ground. Seeing Kate sitting on the ground, she joined her. "Ok, let me get this straight. Stefan, who has lots of scars. Became friends even though he was mysterious. Kissed, then arranged to meet. He wouldn't talk to you and pretended that you weren't there." She said, checking she had got the main points straight. Pulling her hand up to her chin dramatically, she stroked it, as if she had an imaginary beard. It didn't sound very serious to her, but she could tell that this girl was upset about it. "Right. 1, forget about him. He's not worth it." She said, giving her automatic response. Realising that this wasn't very thoughtful, she blabbed her way through her next few sentences. "Or, you could just ask him whats wrong." She said, another idea springing to her mind. "Hold on, hes not a werewolf is he? I read a murder mystery about this sort of thing." She said, laughing as she remembered the story. It wasn't that she was purposefully being mean, it was simply that she couldn't face the idea of actually standing up to her emotions, finding the whole problem with her mum too much for her to take issues seriously now.

Kate in a way felt grateful thst Isobel didn't laugh but she could see she was holding it back.Sighing she lay down on her back and listened to Isobel "Yup thats about it though we were good friends"She said She sighed when isobel gave the advice.What did she think Kate was trying do to get him back.No. She was trying to forget him but its just she was so hurt that his face kept on coming back to her.Kate again listened to Isobel's advice "Well I haven't really been talking to anyone lately but I know he won't answer me even though I kind of know what is going on I know he won't admit"She said quietly.Kate didn't smile or laugh when Isobel commented usually she would of but not in her mood

Isobel sighed. It seemed that Kate didn't need the advice given to her at the moment. "You must really care about him then, mustn't you." She said, wondering how it felt to feel about a boy like that. She had never been through that, only saw boys as part of the game of life. She would use them in the same way that they used her. She didn't care. Lying back on the grass like Kate, she stared up at the morning sky, watching a crowd of birds fly together. There was a single bird flying on behind and Isobel felt sad for it. It didn't seem to fit it, almost wanting to be on its own. Realising that it was like her, she shook her head and looked away, telling herself that she had friends. At her old school, she had been the bird in the middle. Good at sports, funny, unable to be hurt by words or actions. But now, she had been so busy trying to impress everyone, that she had ended up pushing away most of her close friends or people whom she could have got on with instead of be against now. Making a mental note to try and find some more friends, she turned her head sideways, to hear the end of what Kate was saying. Nodding as if she had heard all of it, she lay there, having a funny feeling in her stomach, telling her that she needed to offer more advice. "Im sorry, i don't really know what to offer any more. You have probably heard about me, a heartless, cold creature who uses boys for my own good, rather than for love." She said, sighing at a rumour that she had heard that was going around about her, spread by an arrogant 1st year. She had probably been seen like that by the girls as she had already kissed a boy to spite her cousin. Sitting up, she panicked that Kate would continue to spread the rumour. "But thats not true. I assure you. And, if i find that you have spread the stupid rumour further, then you will regret it." She said, a cold tone in her voice. She didn't mean it as a threat, just wanted to lay her boundaries down before she spilt anything about herself. Most conversations with Isobel ended this way, people spilling everything about themself and then going away, only really knowing basics about Isobel like her name and age. She had a strong talent for this, and there was only 1 person who knew her big secret at the school. Alice, her cousin.

(OOC: Sorry for the long post. It is random, sometimes, i seem to write more for Isobel than Alice, even though Alice is more developed and does more rps :p )

Kate thought about Isobel's question and realsied she really did like him and that was probably why this hurt so much.Its the fact he pushed her away without a second thought and that hurt Kate most.Suddenly she felt tears at her eyes.She wiped them away for Isobel's sake she didn't seem like the one that was good for sympathy and anyway Kate had been crying too much lately it was time for her to grow up and control her feelings.She almost missed what Isobel said "Its grand you tried and thats what mattered"She said a real smile coming.She did appreciate Isobel's advice but it wasn't much use to her.She frowned when Isobel talked abot a rumor Kate hadn't really been in a social mood for the past few days.But she thought it was unfair.Even if Isobel was like that it was just as mean and low to start a ruomer about it.But she suddenly remembered Ryan coming home angry one night because someone called Isobel had kissed him.She looked at Isobel and wondered how a girl being so nice to her could of done that.But Kate wouldn't hold it against the girl because a)she didn't have the heart and b)there was no point getting angry about what had happened because it happened so long ago and as long as Isobel didn't do it again to Ryan Kate was quite happy with Isobel's company.She jumped when Isobel sat up suddenly and spoke to her in a cold voice "Don't worry I'm not into gossip and anyway I wouldn't stoop that low"Kate said relaxing again.She had no interest in gossiping and she wouldn't like it if someone did it to her so she usually kept her mouth closed.She spoke suddenly "The boy you kissed to get at someone was a boy called Ryan wasn't it"She said her eyes still closed hoping Isobel wouldn't react badly as she meant nothing by it.She just wanted to know if Isobel would tell the truth

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry about the length!

Isobel smirked slightly. This girl seemed completely caught up in her own problems to realise anything else that was going on. She noticed as the girl let tears escape and looked the other way, not really caring much about why she was crying. Her sympathy and niceness seemed to have run out and she didn't care anymore. She felt an anger rising inside of her at Kate. What did she know of suffering? What did she know about how hard it was to truly have to forget about someone? What did she know about actual mental pain? Controlling her emotions was something that Isobel had only just mastered. Now able to hide her emotions from full view of anyone if she desired, she smiled and Kate, trying to be polite but inside, feeling like she needed to scream. "Oh, him. Yes, i did. Why do you know him?" She asked, taken aback slightly by the question. She hadn't been expecting it at all and hadn't even been thinking of him when she had commented.

Kate could see Isobel's patience was running out.Sighing she stopped crying and picked up some grass.She wondered what would happen in the next few weeks.Her life was a bit messed up in the next few minutes.She could see Isobel's surprise when she asked the question.She obviously hadn't been thinking about Ryan.Sighing she wondered what her reaction would be it "Am its just he is my brother"She said still picking at the grass hoping there wouldn't be an angry reaction.

Isobel raised her eyebrows. "Your brother?" She repeated, wondering if she had heard it right. "Well, i didn't know that. Just thought he was Danielle's boy friend and Alice's friend. Do you know Danielle? I bet you do." She said, wondering if there was anyone in this school who she could talk to about how much she hated Danielle and Alice. Of course, she couldn't say that she hated Ryan as well, but she did. "I didn't think he would be a Slytherin. I thought he was heading for Gryffindor. But obviously there is a side to him that i haven't seen yet." She debated with herself, realising that she was speaking out-loud.

"Yes my brother, younger one to be exact"She said smiling not sure why though.She wondered what she had against Alice and Danielle. "Well ya.What have they done to make you not like them"she asked not angry or annoyed.She wasn't in the mood and she was tired and also she guessed Isobel had a good reason not to like Danielle or Alice.Kate was confused at her next statement.It had been a complete surprise to Kate and the rest of the family but they didn't hold it against him.It wasn't exactly his fault.She could see Isobel didn't really like her brother "And it seems my brother has done something to anyone you too"She said picking up some more grass

Isobel smiled coldly. She was worried that Kate and Ryan were close, and for this reason she wouldn't tell Kate anything more about herself. So far, it seemed that Isobel had managed to get away with giving her name, her house, and a list of people she didn't like. At that moment, Isobel had the upper hand. Kate had told her all about her problems with her love-life, and Isobel knew quite a lot about her. Isobel wouldn't reveal anything more about herself even if Kate asked. She found that by pretending to be a caring friend, and a good listener, Isobel found out secrets and had people at her mercy, desperate for Isobel not to spill it. She wouldn't, but no one knew this yet, only her cousin Alice, which was another reason why she hated her. Tapping her nose, she smiled secretively again. "That is for me to know, and you to not find out." She said, laughing at how well she had played her game.

Kate smiled it wasn't a paticularly cold smile but it wasn't a nice one either.She now saw the side of Isobel Ryan had seen.But she couldn't be bothered about Isobel she had much bigger things on her plate.So what if she told anybody nearly everybody already knew something was wrong and if Isobel wanted to be the mean cunning person she was Kate couldn't care less.Right now Isobel was like a fly.Annoying.For some reason the very sight of Isobel now made the pit of Kate's stomach fill with annoyance. "Fine so not that I care"She said rolling her eyes.She was suddenly very disinterested.Sighing she got out her phone and started to look through it humming as she did.

Isobel shrugged. She didn't care what Hufflepuffs thought of her, the only opinion that really mattered was that of a Slytherin. Smirking as Kate got out her phone she peered over, confused. "That shouldn't work here. Magic messes with electrical items, meaning that they don't work. Even i know that." She said, laughing at the girls stupidity. It was funny really, not that Isobel had been bothered to read any of her books, she had found out from Alice, after overhearing a conversation in the dungeons. Laughing coldly, she stood up. Placing her hands on her hips, she raised her eyebrows at Kate. "Do you want to do 1 more lap?" She asked, wondering what was so wrong with the girl that she hadn't been able to make it halfway across the pitch without sitting down. It was the sort of weak behaviour that Isobel expected from Alice, not from anyone else. Realising that not everyone was as sporty as her, she found it hard to believe that Kate still wouldn't want to run. When Isobel had been put in a really hard time, one that made Kate's problem insignificant compared to Isobel's, Isobel had found her only comfort in life was her sport. To run, to be free, to be aggressive and take it out on sport.

Kate sighed her phone did work the music part anyway.She took out the headphones and turned the music on.She wasn't sure whether she liked Isobel or not.There was something about her that made Kate dislike her.She overheard ISobel's last question.She wasn't sure if her body could take it.Deciding it was worth a try.She got up unsteadily "Sure"She said after putting her phone and headphones away.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry its so short and could you also PM me the relationships form from Kates relationships.The link is in the siggie

Isobel raised her eyebrows and let the girl get up first before setting off in a hard run. Kate would either have to run fast and feel ill or stay back and look like pathetic compared to Isobel. It was really a no win situation for Kate and Isobel laughed quietly to herself as she wondered how she would react to it all. Reaching the goal posts, Isobel stopped and turned around, looking for Kate. "Come on slow coach." She said coldly. Her voice was littered with fake encouragement and Isobel smirked as she saw Kate finally start to run.

(OOC: No, mine's just as bad :p Please pm me if i forget to start the topics, i can't do it now after all :p )

Kate smirked at Isobel's ignorance.Running was a hobby of Kate's.She had lots of medals at home.She had come second in the All Ireland Finals cross country.She had started slow a0So Isbel would think she was slow and b)She wanted to see if she wouldn't faint.Satisfied she wouldn't get dizzy.Kate caught up with Isobel and ran beside her with ease.She wasn't close to panting yet.She felt a small thrill in her stomach.She forgot what it was like to feel the wind through her hair and the soft pounding of her feet on the hard ground. "When did you first start running"She asked enjoying herself.They were about half ways through and Kate still wasn't near panting yet.She started to speed up so that Isobel was a bit behind.She knew she would catch up but she felt her mood changing she suddenly felt very happy. "I forgot what it was like to run"She said happily.She hadn't been this happy in weeks

OOCOut of Character:
Ya sure!

Isobel shrugged and found herself slightly shocked at Kate. She hadn't been expecting this act of sudden change of character, especially from someone who had found it too hard to basically walk for a few metres before needing to sit down. Her shock over took her for a minute and when she finally cleared her senses, she noticed that Kate was in front. Running quickly, she caught up with her. "I started running when i was 5. It really helped me think. I took it up seriously when i was 7. I ran for school teams and ended up going to county and regional matches. I normally run in 4th position when im in a relay." She said, thinking about how much running had helped her through the hardest time of her life. She had used it as a relief, a way to escape. Her dad had got her running for a team, but she gave it up, not wanting to run for anything other than the pure enjoyment and thrill of it all. She carried on running next to Kate, when suddenly, Isobel took off, sprinting to the benches and beating Kate there by a few minutes. Smirking as she caught her breath back, she took another drink of water. By the time Kate reached her, she had got her breath back fully and had swung her bag onto her shoulder.

Kate smiled when she saw Isobel's shocked expression it amused her slightly though that wasn't really like her.Kate nodded as Isobel spoke "I started running with my school and then a started to like it so I took it up as a hobby"She said still going at a comfortable pace.She watched as Isobel sprinted.Kate wasn't going to push her look with the running she could already feel the familiar dizziness.So she slowed down and jogged over to Isobel. "Well done"She said smiling.Maybe she could like Isobel after all she wasn't sure yet but time would tell.She suddenly felt very dizzy everything started to go blurry and her head began to hurt.She could feel herself falling and then everything went black.

OOCOut of Character:
If you want Kate could wake in a few seconds if you want to carry on or you could just finish the topic now?

(OOC: Maybe they could go to the hospital wing..... then Kate could realise that Isobel is actually quite nice - in some ways :p . )

Isobel smiled gleefully as Kate congratulated her. She was pleased with her running today, especially since she hadn't really been out of breath, no matter how many laps she had done. She knew that her opposition wasn't feeling good so it was an easy race, but these positive points made her feel better about herself. She had dropped her water bottle out of her bag, so turned around to pick it up. When she had secured it safely in a compartment and zipped up the bag, she turned around to see Kate lying on the floor. Falling down onto her knees, she pushed her bag to the side and checked Kate's pulse. Once she was happy that Kate was alive and would soon revive, she got out her water bottle again and dribbled a little onto her cheek, in the right place so it wouldn't make her choke, but it would check that she was still ok. Wetting her hand, she laid it on Kate's forehead, trying to bring her around. Sometimes it helped to have an amazing uncle who was a doctor. She was glad that Kate was unconscious so that she wouldn't see Isobel's pale face as a flashback over took her of her own mothers death. No one knew about it, except Alice and she hoped that it would stay that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back