Double Dares and Other Shenanigans

Rory tried to listen to Hayley's defence of the pineapple pizza monstrosity without screwing up her face in sceptical disgust, and thought she'd managed to control her expression quite well really. At least, she hoped so. "I don't know what it is, it's just the... the juice makes it soggy, and, the... the fruit-ness, okay, it's just yuck." She probably wasn't convincing Hayley at all, but Rory at least felt like she was defending the honour of every person who had hated pineapple on a pizza ever. "Also, no one puts actual tomatoes on pizza. It's okay if it's just in the sauce." Although, she vastly preferred barbeque sauce herself. She guessed she was just a meatlovers pizza person through and through.

Pleased to note Hayley's grumpy expression at having the list taken from her, Rory took the moment to relish in her success. Annoying the other girl was still a definite source of entertainment, despite the steps they seemed to have made tonight towards actually being able to tolerate each other. Hayley didn't remain put out for very long though, and Rory watched curiously as the other girl darted towards one of the items they'd discovered earlier. She was simultaneously surprised, and not surprised, at the suggestion to use the Flame Feast as a sandwich ingredient, and Rory attempted to grin at the prospect. "Just as long as I don't have to eat it," she managed to get out. Maybe she'd just have to dare the other girls to do so before a similar idea entered their own heads. In regards to her own sandwich though... "There's got to be other weird stuff in this place as well though, surely." Rory marched back over to the cooling boxes and opened the door with what she liked to think was a dramatic flourish. "I think if I can't tell what it is, it's going in the sandwich." She could tell already that this wasn't going to be too hard - there seemed to be all sorts of jars of sauces in here, as well as a few mystery containers she couldn't see into.

Hayley stifled a laugh at Rory's poorly controlled response to pineapple on pizza. Her reaction wasn't exactly subtle either, but at least it was better controlled than Rory's. She hoped. She shook her head. "I don't get you at all. Pineapple is yummy. On pizza it's still yummy." Why was this an issue? Why were they even wasting time discussing this? She supposed it was really just an issue of personal taste, which was pointless to argue about. She couldn't let the inaccuracy of that last comment slide, though. Not when pulling Rory up on it would annoy her so much. "Actually, I meant the sauce. All pizzas have tomato sauce on them, doesn't mean it's not made from tomatoes. And technically you're wrong on both points, actual slices of tomato on pizza is also a thing people do." Hayley wouldn't do that, but that was beside the point.

"Of course you don't have to eat it. You've already tried that, ah, taste sensation. Of fire." Hayley grinned wickedly. "Actually, I was thinking we could give it to Harley without warning her." She followed Rory to the fridges (were magic fridges still called fridges? screw it, never mind). "With some milk on hand, of course. We're not evil." Now, what else did her Flame Feast Surprise (that was definitely going to be its name) need to have in it? Something innocuous, but that would still seem weird for a sandwich. Hayley glimpsed a block of cheese, and reached past Rory to pull it out. Cheese was always a good start. "Oh, hey, wasn't one of the things on the list something you can't tell what it is? Or something along those lines?"

Rory absolutely had to get the last word on the subject, it was just something she needed to do. "Pineapple on pizza is disgusting, end of story," she said, though she mumbled it under her breath and hoped Hayley wouldn't hear her. Rory was sure it was the only way she would be able to win the argument, or the other girl would just keep opposing whatever she said, happy to annoy her on purpose. Rory would bet her life on it, particularly as that was exactly what Hayley was doing right now. "Yeah, but it's not actual tomatoes is it; it's sauce, so it doesn't count. And good try, but I've never seen anyone put tomato on a pizza, so I wasn't wrong about that either." Rory smiled smugly at the other girl, folding her arms across her chest as she did so. It always felt so good to prove Hayley wrong.

At hearing that she wouldn't be expected to try the fire sauce of death again, Rory let out a breath she didn't know she'd been holding. Hayley's true plan, however, wasn't much more comforting. "Oh man, that's horrible," said Rory, pausing for a brief moment. "We should do it." Her mind was already caught up in imagining how big the stream of fire would be. It could be considered kind of a mean trick to play on their friend, but it would also be really funny - and Hayley was right; as long as they had milk, Harley would be fine. Moving aside to give the other girl better access to the cooling box, Rory began pulling out every jar and bottle she could hold, as well as a couple of the containers. "Hey, yeah," she said in response to Hayley's question. Dumping her haul on the nearest bench, she immediately began prying the lids off the containers, eager to see what she was working with. One held several thick slices of some sort of meat, but the other held a weird squishy-solid substance that was pale in colour and kind of gross to touch. So gross, actually, that she found it a bit difficult to stop. "Okay, do you know what this is?" she said to Hayley, finally managing to quench her curiousity and holding the container out for the other girl to inspect.

Hayley heard Rory mutter something, and had a feeling she knew exactly what it was. "Pineapple on pizza is great, end of story," she said aloud. It was just petty at this stage. That didn't mean she was going to stop. Getting one up on Rory was just too much fun. "It is actual tomatoes, it's just squished actual tomatoes. And I have definitely seen actual sliced tomatoes put on pizza. Either way, your argument is invalid." Hayley stuck her tongue out at Rory behind her back. That wasn't part of the argument, it just felt good.

Hayley chuckled evilly. "Yesss. It's the best plan." But how could she disguise it? For this to work, her sandwich had to be visibly weird without knowing about the hot sauce, but not weird enough that Harley wouldn't try it. She stared blankly into the cooling box, looking for inspiration. It seemed even the house elves didn't stock that. Damn shame, a nibble of inspiration every now and then would be very useful. Did wizards have ways of making edible abstract concepts? That seemed like the sort of wacky thing they would do. No, she was just getting distracted. She was further distracted by Rory's query. Hayley came over to look at the container the Gryffindor was holding out to her. Hayley took it, and screwed her face up seeing the finger marks Rory had made in it. "Umm, I'm not sure. Might be fat? Either way, you shouldn't be sticking your fingers in it like that."

"Disgusting," Rory retorted back immediately. It wasn't even about the actual subject of the argument anymore; she was sure she could wear Hayley down eventually. "It's probably not even really tomatoes though. They just tell you that and then it's only, like, one percent actual tomato, or something. And you don't have any proof of this slices of tomato stuff - I'm not just going to believe you. So your argument is invalid." She wasn't sure if her logic was good enough to even convince herself, but continuing to argue would definitely annoy the other girl and therefore was an extremely worthy pursuit in itself. This, at least, Rory could always excel at.

She was a bit put out that Hayley seemed to recognise the squishy substance - that meant they couldn't use it for the unknown item. She also wasn't too enamoured with exactly what Hayley had identified it as. "Ugh," she said, grimacing at the traces of probably-fat on her finger. Wiping it off on the table, Rory pushed that particular container aside and began examining the labels on the bottles she had grabbed. None of them were as exciting as the Flame Feast. There was a peanut something, something calling itself chutney (what the heck was chutney?) some fancy-sounding dressing, and a jar of what she had thought were pickles but said 'gherkin' on the side. Gesturing at it all, Rory looked up at Hayley. "Any of this take your fancy?" She already knew where she was starting, and pulled the container of meat slices towards her. About to lift one out, she suddenly realised they were missing a crucial ingredient. "Hey, was there any bread in the pantry while you were in there before?"

"Delicious." This wasn't even an argument any more, just a series of meaningless contradictions. That didn't mean Hayley was going to stop, though. "You do know that 'I don't believe you' isn't a valid argument, right? Just because I don't happen to have a pizza with me to show you complete with slices of tomato doesn't mean they don't exist." Hayley paused, wishing she did have a pizza with her, even if it had slices of tomato. "Damnit, now I want pizza." Actually, that was probably why Harley had put that item on the list, just to troll them into being hungry for pizza.

Hayley looked over the haphazard pile of ingredients Rory had spread on the table. "Uuuuhhh . . ." She wasn't sure what gherkins were, but she felt like she'd heard they went well with cheese, so she grabbed that jar. Her gaze fell on the pretty apple. Actually, yeah; cheese, apple, and something she didn't know about would make a convincing weird sandwich. Hayley grabbed another apple from the fruitbowl, and cast about for a knife to slice it with. But then Rory paused with her hand millimetres away from a slice of meat, asking about bread, and Hayley burst out laughing. "Oh poop," she managed between giggles, "we really missed something there." More seriously, she added, "And no, I didn't see any. Time for a bread hunt?" Who would have thought that that would be a difficulty?

"Disgusting." Rory could keep this up all day. Night. Longer than Hayley at least, she was sure of it. "And just saying they exist doesn't make them exist, either." She smirked, enjoying the back and forth between them. If there was one thing she was truly beginning to appreciate about Hayley, it was that the other girl never seemed to get bored of picking tiny, meaningless fights. And tiny, meaningless fights with Hayley were quickly becoming one of Rory's favourite activities. The other girl's next words brought her up short though, and she groaned immediately. "Now I want it too. Why'd you have to say that?" She wasn't hungry, exactly (after all she had just eaten that apple), but that meant nothing when thinking of delicious meat and melted cheese.

Hayley took the gherkins-not-pickles for her sandwich, leaving Rory with the rest. Good enough. Noticing the other girl rummaging in the fruit bowl she made a mental note to add banana, and then Marmite if she could find it. Mystery meat, chutney, peanut something, banana and Marmite. It sounded perfect. Well, perfectly disgusting... and weirdly intriguing. If it came down to another dare where she had to choose between her creation or Hayley's flaming sandwich of death, Rory definitely knew which one she would pick. But they had to find the bread first. Her first stop was the pantry, where she did a quick look-through just to make sure there really wasn't any bread in there. The search turned up empty though, which was slightly disappointing - she would have loved to have triumphantly pulled out some bread and proved Hayley wrong. Letting the loss go, Rory shrugged and turned back towards the other girl. "It might be in another cooling box then. The one the milk was in wasn't cold enough."

((That's the sweetest thing Rory's ever not said to Hayley))

"Delicious." Hayley could keep this up all day. Night. Longer than Rory at least, she was sure of it. "It seems we are at a stalemate, Miss Night. I can't prove they exist, you can't prove they can't." Hayley smirked at Rory's groan. While that hadn't exactly been the reaction she'd intended to provoke (for once she hadn't actually intended to provoke a reaction, just express the craving that had come into her head), it was certainly satisfying. Now she could irritate Rory without even meaning to. That was definitely a point to Hayley, at least in her own nonexistent scoreboard that had just occurred to her as a concept now and would probably be discarded almost immediately. "Maybe we could get one. The house elves must pre-make food, right?" Surely they couldn't produce the enormous volumes of it served at meals on the spot, even with magic. "What if there's pizza around here somewhere?"

Hayley began opening cupboards at random, searching for bread. There must be some here - industrial quantities judging by what was served at breakfast. Unless they had a separate pantry somewhere? Oh, no, that would make this whole thing much more complicated. Now Hayley thought about it, there didn't seem to be the sheer quantity of anything she'd expect from cooking at this scale. Did they just have one of everything and multiply them magically? What would it do if she and Rory took some of those things away? But there had been multiples of the same fruit in the fruitbowl . . . Hayley gave up. Magical cooking made no sense. She came across an enormous knife block and grabbed one from it. "Well, I haven't found any bread yet, but I've got this." She held it up dramatically and stabbed it into her apple.

"Disgusting." Hayley seemed determined to continue trying to prove that... what were they even arguing about again? Oh yes, pineapple on pizza. Nope, definitely disgusting, Rory would have to keep this up for a while yet. She couldn't let Hayley win - especially not after her next remark, which Rory just stuck her tongue out at. For all she knew the other girl was totally making up her alleged claim that people put actual tomato slices on pizza - what kind of idiot did she think Rory was? It would be all mushy and warm and... yuck. Just yuck. Rory resolved not to let Hayley anyway near any meal plans she might be partaking in in the future. Which made the other girl's suggestion to look for normal (well, she assumed it would be normal) pizza way more conflicting than the suggestion to eat pizza ever should be. Why did it always feel like Hayley was winning... something. What exactly, Rory couldn't say, but even she had to admit that fighting the other girl on this one was a bit dumb.

Still, she couldn't just outright agree with Hayley (sensible and easy though it might have been), so instead she smirked at her and said, "If you can find one, I'll let you have more slices than me." The generosity of the offer showed how much she had really come in her opinion of Hayley since the beginning of the night. The other girl was already searching for the bread, maybe she'd manage to stumble across some pizza as well. Over on her side of the kitchen Rory quickly opened another cooling box for a look around, but there wasn't any bread in this one either - and as she shut the door she suddenly groaned. "Merlin, they probably bake all the bread every morning so it's fresh." House-elves were over-achievers like that, she'd noticed. Which brought to mind something else that could be pressing... "How long have we been here, anyway? What's the time?" If they did actually bake all that bread... how early would they come in to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back