Devastated

James Gardner

James walks out from the castle, in the middle of the day, the sun high and student's walking around. He smiles as he sees people walking around and then looks to see if he can see anywhere he can kick the red footy in his hand. He drops it onto his foot as he walks forward and it goes up into the air before he marks it. He keeps walking out onto the great lawn before seeing if anyone wanted to play. 'Gotta be someone who wants to play' feeling like a no friend little kid again it is going to be a little awkward.

He had heaps of friends in Australia but so far, none in New Zealand.

Jessame Rose felt sickened. She had explored the castle, read most of her books and given herself a tour of the grounds. It was all wrong. Most of the people she'd met were excited about magic, or just plain mean. She had yet to find anyone nice since arriving at Hogwarts. Her few encounters with people while doing her school shopping had actually fooled her into believing it might be an okay place, but there had been no sign of anyone she recognised once she got here. The 'welcoming party' she had attended against her better judgement had been a disaster and all she wanted to do was go home. Home where things were natural, normal, safe. She cringed, remembering seeing people fly on broomsticks on the quidditch pitch. She longed to be home. She'd heard there were cliffs nearby, but that they were off-limits to students, and Jessame Rose wasn't one to break rules, so she was wandering around the grounds looking for a tree to sit under and write.

She was considering making her way over to the lake when she saw a boy standing alone, kicking and bouncing what looked like a normal ball. She wasn't usually one for introducing herself, but she desparately wanted to talk to someone about something other than all this freakish magic. She approached him and asked, "Wanna play?" Her lack of social skills was truly astounding, but she could play sports with the best of them.

James smiled as someone came up to him as he caught the ball on his chest. He wasn't used to being by himself. Being one of the most popular at his old school. James knew that he wanted to play but the girl didn't look like an Aussie.

"Of Course, do you know how to play Aussie Footy?" James noticed that the girl looked like the shy type as he also saw that she didn't say much, so he got the conversation started. "The Name is James and yours is?" He then gave a quick little handball towards the girls chest.

Jess caught the ball in her small hands before it smacked her in the chest. "No, I know rugby, though, and touch." She was relieved he hadn't come out with a smart-arse comment like everyone else she'd met so far. She had nothing against Australians, they brought a fair bit of money to her hometown as tourists, but she hadn't a clue about Aussie Rules. She took a step backwards and chucked the ball back at him in a rugby pass, putting a bit of spin on it. "I'm Jessame Rose." She even smiled, then remembered the Australian guy she'd met in Obsidian Harbour all those months ago. He said he had a cousin at Hogwarts. "Do you have a cousin called Luke?"

James smiled as he listened to her say that she played Rugby, as she passed to back to him with a rugby pass. He caught it pretty easily, before answering her questions. He smiled before answering her question and just casually talking.

"Ahh, Rugby is pretty fun, Union or League? And no, I don't think I have a cousin Luke, well not that I know of." He gave a little laugh as he passed his red sherrin footy back. With a pretty bad rugby pass. He had only played a little in school. And being one of the best in his class didn't mean much. "So, Jessame, where are you from? Can I take a punt at New Zealand?"

Jessame Rose couldn't believe it! Someone was actually being nice to her! Thank goodness she'd decided to come outside, and taken the chance of approaching this guy. She could have been stuck inside all day thinking about how nasty everyone at Hogwarts was. "It's Jessame Rose, not just Jessame," she responded automatically. She didn't mind shortened versions of her name, just so long as people knew it was a shortened version they were calling her by. "Jessame Rose Trewelly. I know rugby union. League's not that big here. Yeah, I'm from here. Down south, a place called Hickory Bay in Canterbury." Jess was somewhat surprised at herself. She hadn't spoken this much in ages, and certainly not to a complete stranger. It must have been the shock of being treated nicely.

She passed the oval ball from hand to hand, then bounced it on the ground, getting the right angle so that it bounced back into her hands, and not awkwardly away. She passed it back to him and took a few more steps back so they could try some proper passes. "Where in Oz are you from?" she called as the distance between them widened.

James watched her as she talked to him, happy that he might have made a friend here at Hogwarts. He caught the ball before talking again "Mind if I call you Jess? And I from North East Victoria in a town named Wodonga." As he saw she made the distance wider, he decided to do a quick drop punt hitting her in the chest. 'Good Kick' he thought to himself.

"So what do you think of all these? What house are you in?"
James just realised he had asked two questions in a row. He talked to much.

Jessame Rose nodded that he he could call her Jess, then clasped her arms around the ball that had suddenly hit her in the chest. Good kick, she thought to herself. She tried a drop kick herself, but being used to soccer, her attempt at kicking an odd-shaped ball went a little awry, and the ball bounced off to the left of James.

"Sorry!" she called. "I think we're in the same house. Hufflepuff." Jeez, that sounds lame. Who calls a house Hufflepuff? she thought to herself. She had read the history and knew about Helga Hufflepuff, but crikey, who called a person Hufflepuff? In any case, she had purposefully avoided his question about how she liked Hogwarts. She wanted to throw a ball around, not be reminded of how miserable she was here. Partly because she didn't want to talk, and partly because she didn't really know how to talk to someone of her own age who wasn't Georgie, she didn't ask any more questions. She secretly hoped they would stop talking, and a bunch of other kids would join in, and they could just run around and play a game. Like normal kids. Not witches and wizards. Not freaks.

Jessame looked uncomfortable talking about Hufflepuff and Hogwarts but he thought he would put an end to the conversation. "I don't get this whole house thing. It's pretty pointless but life is life." He then runs to the side to grab his footy. He then handballed it up to himself then catching it. "Nice Kick." He said, trying to get her to laugh. "Have you ever kicked a ball like this one." He then looked up to the sky before thinking 'I wonder how high I can kick'. He then drops the ball onto his foot as he skies the ball and it becomes to come to the ground.

When James joked 'nice kick,' it almost knocked some sense into Jess. Well, maybe not sense, but it reminded her of playing about with her soccer team, or during P.E. at school. She automatically clicked over into that mode. She was nothing if not a master of disguises, and suddenly she laughed out loud.

Years ago, when Jessame Rose first started Primary school, she used to sit and watch the older kids play games at lunch time, when she was supposed to be acting the student in one of Georgie's games of "school," or the baby when they were playing "house." When she heard there was a local junior soccer team, she begged Tim to take her to watch the games, and again, she watched. Her mess of dark hair shielded her face, but her large green eyes looked on with wonder, drinking everything in, memorising the banter, the moves, the jargon. She dragged Tim out of bed every Saturday morning until the season ended. The following year, she was late home from school one day and when her parents started calling around, they found out she'd been down at the soccer field at her first practice, having signed herself up for the team. When she was on the field, she was just like any of the others on the team - mostly boys, all rowdy, all having fun. When she got home and showered, she returned to her normal quiet self.

It was the same when she discovered t-ball and netball, Brownies and Guides: she watched, learned all there was to know, then slipped into fray and looked as though she'd been there all along. Then she'd get home, change out of her uniform, and become the real Jessame Rose again.

"'Course I have, I said I played rugby and touch, didn't I?" her voice had the same edge that all 11 year old boys had when they were challenged, something she'd picked up from those on her team, though she meant nothing by it. "I mostly play soccer though. That was just a bad kick." She watched him look up once he had retrieved her wayward ball and knew it would be a good kick the moment he began the motions. Jess followed the red ball into the air with her eyes and began running towards it as it came back to earth, knowing exactly where it would land, allowing for the slight wind. Turns out it was going to arrive back at ground level just on the other side of James. She saw him turn to catch it and her competitive side decided she was gonna get that ball. She nimbly side-stepped around him and jumped up to catch the ball just before it fell into his waiting arms. Once it was in her hands, she raced off, calling over her shoulder "Too slow!" When she'd run a good thirty metres from where she'd been before, she turned and booted the ball back to James. Her feet were bare, but tough, and although she could have done better had she been wearing shoes, she had to admit she was pleased with the kick.

"Not bad, aye? You reckon we could get some teams together and play?"

James smiled as Jess ran in and stole the ball from him, she was good. He then watched as she swung around and kicked the ball back to him. He caught it about his head before punting it back quickly. "Great kick, but a mark that was just as good." He laughed and smiled as he said it. "I wish we could get a team together, but people here are just interested in Quidditch." He was sad about that, loving a lot of his sports as he smiled.

He loved playing sports and now he found someone he could play them with. It was great. "You're a natural at this."

Jessame Rose would have blushed if someone had complimented her at any other time, but now she was in sports mode, and she knew she was good. She just nodded at James' comment and called back "Quidditch? What a poor excuse for a sport! They don't even run! They just sit on those dumb brooms." To be honest, Jess knew very little about quidditch, other than it was a wizarding sport played on flying broomsticks. She'd seen some of the other first years gaze longingly at the sign-up sheet in the Hufflepuff common room and many older students had signed up for it, but she disliked it merely for the fact that it wasn't a muggle sport. It wasn't normal.

"There's a student club on the ground floor inside," she indicated the castle, "I saw a sign for a muggle sports club. It's run by the Head Girl. We could sign up for that." She ran a few steps to catch the ball in the air and kicked it back to James again. This felt good. It was the first time since arriving at Hogwarts that Jess had been able to forget everything about magic, stop thinking, and just play.

He enjoyed playing footy with someone, it gave him a sense of home, he didn't think that many people would know what they were doing when it came to a footy, like the one he just caught on his chest. He began to throw the ball between hands before handballing it high into the air, and nearly made the entire distance to Jess. "I haven't seen that, I hope it is still running." He truely did. "I also play tennis you know."

Jess ran forward a few steps to try to catch the ball, but James' throw was short. She didn't think anything of it, as she knew the boys at her school would have - they always seemed to have to make a big deal out of everything you didn't manage perfectly - she just followed the ball's bounce and caught it off the ground, a little awkwardly. "I saw a sign up sheet for this year. Some people's names were already on it. "

Jess didn't know much about tennis. She'd often stood outside on a summer evening and hit a tennis ball against the side of the house over and over again, but she'd never played for real. "I play netball and t-ball, too. 'Cept I can't play t-ball anymore cos you have to stop when you're ten. I might start softball. Do you swim? The lake over there looks good for swimming."

James laughed as his Handball feel shorts. "Oops Sorry about that one." He smiled as he waited for her to pass it back. "Well, I will sign up for it to myself. Also, I have played t-ball at school. Pretty fun, Netball is also fun to play. Good choice in sports." He then smiled waiting for the sherrin to be passed back to him. "I can swim a little, not to well, not to bad. It looks fun. I reckon I could swim in it, avoiding the squid of course." He smiled. Hoping she would know that it was a joke.

Jess tried an over-arm throw like the ones she'd seen in American movies in the sport where they all wore ridiculous amounts of shoulder padding. The throw was a good one, but it still fell short. She made a face to show she wasn't happy with it.

When James mentioned a squid, Jessame Rose laughed. "Why would you want to avoid the squid?" she joked, "squids give the best hugs; all those arms." Jess laughed and waved her arms about. She had no idea there actually was a (very) large squid in the lake. She liked this joking and playing, but Jess still felt empty somehow. It was always like that, no matter what she was doing. Some things made her happier than others. Some things made her feel light and airy, some made her feel weighed down, but no matter what, she never felt truly comfortable except with her foster parents.

James was tempted to sprint in and tackle her as he kicked it high into the air, after capturing her overarm throw off a bounce. The only reason he didn't, he wasn't sure how she would react. He laughed at her comment before smiling. "Well, I guess, but I made sure I left home to get away from my Mum smothering me." James laughed as he walked forward a little, waiting for her to mark the ball.

Jess decided to see how high she could kick this time. She dropped the ball on her bare foot and kicked with all her might. She watched the ball go up and up and up.

((Sorry, lame.))

And the ball came down and down and down before it hit James on the head. He fell to his back, his eyes a little glazed over. Musta been a high kick.

Jess yelped when the ball hit James on the head and he fell back. She'd been expecting him to catch it. What had she done? She stared for a moment, first at James, lying on the ground, then at the ball that had bounced a little and come to a stop a few feet away. She looked around. Plenty of people, but no-one was paying them any attention. In a way, Jess was glad, it meant no-one was looking at her, but at the same time she was half panicking and angry that no-one seemed to care about the knocked out first year on the ground in front of her.

She spotted a senior student not far away. Too scared to call out, Jess ran and picked up the ball and threw it at him with all her might. It hit him in the back and when he turned to look where it had come from, Jess pointed helplessly at the lump on the ground that was James. The older student came over with a menacing look in his eyes. "What do you think you're playing at, shrimp?" Scared, J.R. pointed again. "He's not getting up." She looked up at the older student with her big green eyes. He looked at James and his attitude changed. "What happened?" He knelt by James and then looked at the ball still in his own hands, and back at the tiny brown girl that was Jess.

"You knocked him out?" Jess nodded almost imperceptibly. Then the older boy laughed "Nothing to worry about, shrimp. We'll just take him up to the hospital wing. And you make sure you try out for beater when you're old enough for quidditch. In the mean time, best to leave muggle sports alone" He was joking, but Jessame Rose was terrified by his words. No more playing? No one would ever get her on a broomstick, so quidditch was out, but no more sports ever? She just nodded slightly at the boy, who pulled out his wand and levitated James. He 'carried' him in this manner to the hospital wing, where Jess stood helplessly on the fringes of the activity. James was brought around and checked out for any other injuries. The older boy left, punching her on the arm as he did, but she barely noticed. Before James could notice her and ask what had happened, she too slipped away, too scared to face him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back