DETENTION

Lola Rowann

Wand
Birch Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Dragonstone
As the portkey transported the students from the lawn they found themselves in the middle of the Forbidden forest. Further than they had ever been before...
dark_forest-1.jpg

scroll-stock-5.jpg

Crispin stumbled upon landing, throwing out his unbound hand to find purchase with whatever he could. Until he felt it give way and realized what it was. Jerking his hand back from her chest, face flame red, he ran his hand through his messy hair, knocking the hood back. "S-sorry." He looked everywhere but at her then hurriedly unrolled the scroll. Then felt his face become even hotter. Merlin save me, why did it have to be so difficult? Sadistic professors. If the first item didn't kill him, collecting the third surely would. "Uh here." He thrust the scroll at her so Andy could read it too, then yanked his hood back up.

Andromeda had not choice but to fall as he did on landing, her body landing upon soft heath when Crispin's hand suddenly shot out as if to grope her.
"Hey!" she sat up immediately as he pulled his hand away and ran it through his hair. His hood falling back Andromeda tore her gaze away, she'd never be able to stop gazing at such perfection but had to get over herself and fast. She took the scroll he pushed into her hand and read it carefully.
"Um... are the professors trying to make some kind of love potion?" she knew enough now about herbs, plants and the like to know the willow was often used in love potions, whether they only wanted to start gathering mistletoe for Christmas she didn't know but the hair of a centaur "They're kidding me right? hair of a centaur? They don't exactly welcome me here with open arms".

She stood up slowly to look about, realizing how dark and dismal the spot they were in actually was.
"could do with a wand about now?" she sighed turning to look at him, "Ok so which way?" she was going to be mature about this no matter how much it would kill her to have to be linked to the boy who could barely stand her.

Crispin bounced back rather quickly from his embarrassment. His face no longer felt as though it would burst into flame. Hood firmly in place, he pointed toward a darkened part ahead of them. "We might find Mistletoe there." He wasn't keen on speaking, didn't want to speak, afraid something would come out the wrong way, or possibly the right way. She was someone else's girl now, not his; he'd do well to remember that fact. As he walked beside her, lost in thought, it didn't occur to him until she mentioned the Centaurs.

Curiously, he regarded her.
"Are they able to sense that you're lycanthrope?"

The mere mention of mistletoe had her head spinning until he mentioned lycanthrope. Stealing a glance at him she wished she could see his face but it was obscured by the hood and the dimness of the forest. With a sigh she continued to walk with him in the direction of where he had pointed. It had only been a matter of time she mused, no wonder he preferred to be with Lily. In the few instances they had been together there had never been any mention of what she was and now, now that she knew where his heart lay he seemed happy enough to finally speak about it. Even more so though, he could not even say the word werewolf.

"I don't know how it works, they have always seemed to show up at some point if I wander too far into the forest. Always totally steamed that I would venture in at all, it's not just them though. I have trouble with a fair few magical beings and creatures even in my care of magical creatures class. Even animals like cats and owls can't stand to have me around" she refused to sigh, refused to do anything but tilt her chin and not give in to any more of the self loathing and self pity that had plagued her that year. Bruin she thought had, had an issue with her being a werewolf as well until he had eventually reassured her that it had never been the case.
"So don't worry you're not a minority" she really did hope that no centaurs would jump out at them, they had no wands this time to defend themselves, "and we've got a good 8 or 9 hours before the moon's phase even begins to affect me".

Her fingers couldn't help but brush against his, as the bracelet kept them firmly strapped together. How often had she dreamt of this opportunity but now it was just all bad timing. The story of her life it would seem. As they walked she staggered backwards, her hair having become knotted in a branch.
"Great" she muttered reaching up with her free hand to try to pull it free when something on the next branch caught her eye, still she tried to tug her own free though it hurt like crazy, "I think we might be in luck. They never did specify whether they wanted the hair on or off the centaur, did they?"
She released her hand from her tangled hair and pointed to the other branch with the strands of mahongany tresses dangling from it.
"Obviously a centaur got tangled up like me, can you reach it while I try and get myself out of this mess?"
it was highly unlikely that she would ever be able to extricate herself from the mess she had found herself in with Crispin but at least getting her hair free was a start and the tears that pricked her eyes from her constant tugging elleviated the ones that had seriously wanted to fall earlier by his calling her a lycanthrope.

Crispin tried to listen to her speak with an open mind. It wasn't that hard, considering what he knew of her affliction and of her as a person. Yet his mouth hardened when she tried to neatly fit him into a box. He'd known prejudice in his life, none to her scale he was sure, and it made him angry that anyone could be closed minded with her. "I wasn't worried Andromeda," he bit off. It didn't occur to him that he only used her given name when feelings were running high, whatever they might be. "I know we both wouldn't be so foolish as to not get you back to the castle for your safety." He stressed the word, your, as it wasn't his safety he was concerned with. Fool that he was, he would give all of himself for her. And she would never know it.

His frustration only seemed to grow as their fingers touched, each time feeling more electrified. It didn't help that her skin smelled of the roses he'd come to associate with her, nor did it help that there was something else mixed with it, something that made him want to get closer to her. His steps quickened, wanting nothing more than to find what they were after and leave this accursed place. When she brought them up short, he jerked in her direction, a scathing comment on his lips. He didn't know what was wrong with him, why he was feeling so edgy. This wasn't like him.

Slowly his head came back, spied the centaur hair, then his chin came back down. Mismatched eyes met golden as he deliberately stepped closer to her. He didn't speak, didn't feel the need to. He brought his free hand up and his bound one, careful not to overstretch her arm. Silently he worked at the hair, eyes flicking to hers and then dropping to her lips. As it slid free from the branch, he stepped back. Reaching above them, he unwound the centaur hair and stuffed it in a pocket.
"Two to go. Let's go."

So he wasn't worried, she eyed him once again wearily. Wasn't he even the slightest bit scared for himself in this situation at all though? She wanted to say more but as he came to help her untangle her own hair first, they were so close it was crazy and then the strangest feeling overcame her. She knew from the many books she had read over the years that her hormones went crazy the day before and the day after the full moon, her senses today of all days would become severely heightened too. It hadn't been so bad before as she had always made sure she spent this day alone, but now... with Crispin so close. It was as if she could feel the very blood pulsing through his veins, the surge in his heartbeat as he stood close to her and his scent. She looked into his eyes noticing how they moved to her mouth and tempted beyond reason to lean forward and kiss him she held back... just.

Andromeda didn't know whether to sigh with relief or scream when he untangled her hair then turned away to get the centaurs hair.
"Sure" she mumbled it like it pained her to move away from him, though they were still very much tied to one another via the magical bracelets. She had recognised or thought she had the look in his eyes, he had wanted to kiss her too. She was utterly confused around him and that bothered her no end. They continued walking in the direction he had previously indicatated.
"So you're seriously not afraid of being in a dark part of the forest alone with a... lycan" if he wasn't going to refer to her as a werewolf then she'd oblige him, "on a day of the full moon. Trust me you won't want to be around me when I get hungry."
She had meant it as a joke but she knew deep down it wasn't a pleasant sight, she craved raw meat and would eat it greedily. Apparantly some rather beautiful side effects of the wolfsbane.

Crispin tread silently beside her, unaware that his hands had clenched into fists. There was violence brewing inside him, something that disturbed him greatly. He knew it wasn't something intended to harm another, oh no. He now knew what caused it. It was her. Andy. By some thread of self control did he manage not to simply turn and drag her with him from the forest. He didn't fear her, could never fear her, for her condition. He did not laugh at her joke, nor acknowledge her until he stopped.

His head lowered, the hood hiding him completely from her. When he spoke, it was low, almost too low. Yet he knew she would hear.
"I don't fear you Andy. I stopped being afraid the day my grandfather died." It flashed before him, and caused him sick satisfaction, when the old man died in front of him. It was his own darkness he should fear, yet he did not. What happened, happened. Just as she had chosen another, not him, who loved her more than breathing.

Tilting his head back,hood falling back to reveal him, he spotted the mistletoe that had wound its way around the trees surrounding them. Turning to her, his hands caught at hers gently, calloused fingers entwining with hers. Her scent wove around him, drawing him in, until he knew he would go mad if he didn't taste her. His head lowered, mouth parted and meshed with hers. It was different from the kisses they had shared before.

"I don't fear you Andy. I stopped being afraid the day my grandfather died."
She heard the words but thought him foolish for thinking them, she was evil. She was a bloody werewolf. Being afraid of his grandfather was one thing but this was something different. Turning to look at him as his hood fell from his face, she gasped slightly. Her hands wanted nothing more than to reach out for him but that was wrong, he wanted Lily now and it was just another of those things she would have to accept in life. No matter how much it pained her to. She followed where his eyes looked and saw the mistletoe. Feeling the tug on her hands she quickly looked up at him, seconds it took before their mouths connected, locked and held. She wanted to simply stay within the safety net that was him but couldn't this was wrong, this was all wrong.

He would hate himself once they left the forest realizing what he had done, it was only close proximity to her that had pushed him to kiss her. How had the books described it, an animalistic attraction or magnetism. He couldn't help himself but she could. She pushed him back.
"I am nothing that you think I am. Hate me if you want, I don't care but this... this is wrong"

Crispin's breath rasped from him, deep heavy pants, chest heaving from the effort as though he'd run a marathon around the lake. Hate her? How could he hate her? His free hand came up, warm hand cupping her cheek, thumb brushing her mouth. His eyes followed its movement, mesmerized, before flicking to tormented golden eyes. "Hate you? I don't hate you Andy." Rationally he should have stepped back, closed himself off at what was surely rejection from her. Yet he couldn't. This wasn't rational, what was gripping him. Yet it was all him, everything he felt, inhibitions lowered.

"You're everything I think you are." He could no more stop what he did next than stop existing. His lips brushed her forehead. "Strong. Beautiful. Giving. Brave." With each word he murmured, his lips touched upon her face. He couldn't think, didn't want to think. "How could this be wrong?" he whispered against her lips, once more claiming them.

He did not hate her. She should have been thrilled but when at one time his request from her had been for her heart and now he was merely craving her form, Andromeda merely cast saddened eyes up to his. Then as he began to kiss her, he punctuated each brush of his mouth with words like strong, beautiful, giving and brave. She felt her insides ignite, whatever pheromone was at work on him, her own teenage werewolf hormones were also in chaos. Knowing she would have probably been strongly attracted to any boy around her at that moment, the fact that it was Crispin made the feelings raging in her doubly strong.

Desperately she wanted to do the right thing, after messing up with just about everyone already this school year, she sincerely didn't want to mess up with him. Andromeda wanted to do the right thing no matter how much it hurt her. She had her chance and had blown it. As his lips claimed hers again, she moaned in agony and pleasure of the situation. Visions of him being with Lily came unbidden to her thoughts. Her mouth hungrily kissed him back, a tear sliding down her face, as images of her with Crispin came too. She stepped back to look up at him as all these visuals bombarded her and she was left with one conclusion. She was some hidden forbidden desire of his, some undisclosed desire that he could not and would not share with his friends or in public. Every time they had kissed, had been any way intimate it had been far away from prying eyes; the restricted section of the library, the prefects bathroom, late evening by the lake and now here in the dark depths of the forest. Whereas with Lily he had been happy to let everyone at the school see them together, hands all over one another. A stark contrast to how he had danced with her, rigid and obviously unable to wait for it to end. Holding her hand as he walked her to Gryffindor House had merely been chivalry as he had been in too much of a rush to get back to Lily.

"You'll regret this" she told him and had to stifle a sob as she recalled herself saying similar words to Bruin at the Borely. He had turned into a bear to get away from her, when Crispin realized it was just a lunar phase, her lycan lure casting it's net about him, he would hate her then. He may not think he did now, but he would.
"Time is passing Crispin, we need to get the mistletoe and willow leaves and get out of here" the less he was distracted by her the better, her amber eyes tore from his as she looked at the mistletoe. It was as if every magical influence was against her, was it tradition, superstition or a love charm interwoven that made people want to kiss one another underneath it. The impulse was too strong and yet she tried her hardest to fight it - she couldn't have him hate her.
"Please Crispin".

Crispin gave in, reveling in her returning his kiss. He was oblivious to the world, even to how she was reacting to him. It wasn't until he felt the tear on her cheek wet his and see the tortured look in her golden eyes as she backed away that he was able to come to himself. Stepping back, he nodded, ashamed that he had upset her. Confusion warred with the need for her and he wanted to hide his shame from her. Pale fingers grasped the hood of his jacket, his face once more darkened to nothing. Her pleas tore at him, ripping to his insides like a rabid crow.

"I forgot myself. I apologize." Words, stiffly spoken in a low voice, pushed through his constricted throat. He hastily gathered a hand full of sprigs, stuffed them into the other pocket in his jacket. "I'm unsure where the willow would be."

Andromeda wanted only now to pull his hood back and embrace him, tell him it was for his own good but she couldn't. Yet even then her fingers brushed against his as if to reassure him that none of it was his fault. Her voice soft and tender spoke clearly through the emptiness that surrounded them.
"I don't think they would have sent us to an area where we couldn't find any. Maybe we should look in that direction instead" she indicated with her free hand but as she did so almost turned in towards him again, constantly forgetting that they were bound together. For a moment she could not look at him, kept her gaze down until she could not bare it any longer and slowly lifted her eyes to meet his mismatched ones. His voice had been laboured almost as it had been when he had danced with her.
"You have no need to apologize when I'm the one at fault".

Crispin would have been content to follow her, as content as he could be when his heart still beat painfully within his chest. Anything to get out of this horrible situation. He was not an angry person, nor impulsive. What he was, was sometimes painfully blunt in his honesty. "Andy," he his eyes speared into hers, "I'm a grown man, responsible for my actions. When will you stop blaming yourself for something you can't help?" His voice softened, lost its hard edge slightly. "I'm not comparing my past to yours. But do you think I blame myself for the punch that blew my pupil?" His eyes made him something different, set apart from others. Not to the extent ever of what she experienced but he knew what it was like to be labeled a freak.

His hand balled in his hem, lifting, baring his scarred and marked abdomen and chest. It wasn't a pretty sight.
"I know who's to blame for what happened to me. I didn't put these on me just as surely as you didn't cause what happened to you. " He bit off what he was about to say, turning his face away. "Look, I'm sorry, let's just get the hell out of here."

Vico had been alerted by some of his fellow tribesmen that a young witch, and a young wizard, were wandering about deep in the Forbidden Forest and they were not exactly being quiet about it, either. Acting quickly Vico gathered small band of hunters, mostly trained bowmen but also a swordsman as well, wanting to be entirely sure that their run-in with the wizards would go in their favour. The group tore through the forest without mercy and in extreme haste, their weapons drawn and their destination being where the duo had been reportedly seen. As they neared the sport Vico called to his band to slow their pace, not wanting to make their presence too known to the wizards, and whatever else hid in the darkness, until the situation could be fully assessed.

Now able to see the two wizardfolk Vico ordered his men to stop where they were, he'd seen the girl before - or been told of her, at least. She was the one he'd been warned of. She was the werewolf the Ministry had informed his people would be in the school. Shaking his head in astounding disbelief he drew his bow. Tonight, he knew, was a full moon. Indicating for the rest of his group to circle around the area where the pair stood Vico looked up to the few visible stars through the trees. Centaurs had a knack for reading the stars, they understood the universe and the future that the universe sang of tonight was unclear. Not at all reassured by the cloudiness of this reading Vico slipped a single arrow in to his bow and pulled it back, aiming it toward the ground as he galloped toward the pair, knowing they had nowhere to run, and entirely prepared to confront them, then do whatever it took to ensure his own safety, and the safety of his tribe.

Andromeda's pale features looked almost transparent, almost glimmering in the dimness of the forest. She sighed gently as she looked up at him, a calmness she didn't know she possessed stole over her. Her face contorted as she looked upon the scars he showed her, reaching out a hand tentatively to touch them but retracted it at the last minute incase she offended him. She kept silent processing everything he had said and turned slowly checking to make sure she still had the scroll in her pocket wanting now only to do exactly as he had said. Get the hell out of there before she made a complete ass of herself.

Barely a step was taken when an arrow shot to the ground at their feet as the sound of hooves galloping towards them echoed about. Andromeda looked hastily about her, her hand that was bound with the magical bracelet grasped his instinctively. It was almost instinctual for her to stand as if to block him as well from what approached, but the noise let her know it wasn't just one centaur, it was many. How much time had passed? Had they been in too long already? Andromeda cursed the professors for being so damn foolhardy, she glanced down at the arrow briefly before looking in the direction it had come from.
"I think that decision has been taken from us" she whispered.

Crispin tensed, muscles tightening near painfully as the centaurs rode up to surround them. He felt Andy's hand grasp his; he squeezed her hand. He did not think of himself, his thoughts only for her safety. Steeling himself for the grim encounter, he spoke calmly, careful to keep his hands away from his body. "We're students from the school. We don't mean you any harm, please let us return." He felt an odd calmness fall over him. He could very well be facing death. Please don't let them harm her.

Vico stood in front of the pair, his bow aimed at the girl he knew to be a werewolf and listened to the boy speak. He shook his head purposefully when the boy finished speaking and tightened his grip on his bow, gazing at the band of centaurs he'd brought with him to ensure they were all in position. "Hold your tongue." Vico commanded, gazing harshly at the boy. "Wizards. Too arrogant for their own good. You seriously think you, an unarmed boy of maybe seventeen could hurt us? Vico nearly scoffed, turning his focus from the boy to the werewolf. "No, child. It is not you that we've reacted in this way about, it is the girl you are attached to." Vico made his point abundantly clear as he drew two paces closer to Crispin and Andromeda, his bow always aimed at Andromeda.

He was still out of arms reach from them as he began to speak in a low, gruff, tone. "It is a full moon tonight, werewolf. You know that, and yet you wander in to our land and risk our safety - and your own, for what good? Why do you invade our home tonight of all nights, and with this arrogant boy who, if he truly knew what you were capable of, would be running back to the school like the little child he is." Vico stated all these things plainly, his cold, uncaring eyes gazed down at the girl in near disgust.

Claphore had been awaiting a call from Vico for the longest time and now at last it had come. Intent on proofing himself to their leader, Claphore strapped his long broadsword to his side and tightened the strap on his arrow bag. His longbow was stretched taunt across his chest as he raced through the forest with the others. The hunt was always good but this was different. This was damn near glorious and as he rode up into the clearing opposite end to Vico, he could only chuckle as he saw who it was they had come to take care of. The She-Wolf and a wizard. Claphore said nothing but stomped his forelegs loudly so as to make his presence known. Unhooking his broadsword he left it sheathed while removing his bow and slotting an arrow in it's place. His glance went swiftly to Vico to await orders.

Up until now they had been tolerant of her but just barely, now though it would be a different matter. She was here on a day of the full moon. Patiently he watched the humans reactions, a sneer donning his face as his leader spoke to her imparticular.

Andromeda wanted nothing more than to get Crispin to safety but she knew they were surrounded. Knew they were lost without their wands. The centaur that appeared to be their leader moved forward, ever closer with the tip of his arrow trained on her. She neither flinched nor buckled under the weight of the inevitable.
"I assure you if I could have helped it, I would not be here now and neither would he. We are serving a detention that is all. My professors who know what I am, as does my friend would not have sent me in here without believing we would make it out in time. We have a list to collect, three items. We had only one left to get and then we would be gone. I mean no disrespect to you or your tribe and I would never intentionally endanger any of you. I am no danger even now ... once I stay under cover when the moon shines... we'll all be safe". Andromeda had no intention of being in the forest that long at all.

"If you detain us further we won't get out in time".

Crispin's jaw firmed. The centaur was certainly plain spoken and not one to pull punches. Why should he, Crispin thought, when it was their land they had trespassed into? He was no child, had not been one even before he turned seventeen. He refused to dwell on the barbed words, keeping his goal in focus. Keeping them both alive and getting Andy out of the forest unharmed. Hopefully everyone would stay calm and level headed. He shook his head slightly. "What she says is true, we were nearly done when you came upon us. Please," Crispin never pleaded for anything, yet it crept into his voice, "let her go."

Vico listened to the werewolf's words, thinking each one through in its time and trying to decide what he would do with the pair. They certainly weren't showing him any particular respect, and he wasn't appreciating the nonchalant way they'd handled the fact that they were, indeed, encroaching upon the territory of his herd. Prepared to make a decision on the matter, Vico opened his mouth to speak but was quickly cut off by the boy. Turning his head sharply toward him he spoke cruelly, "I told you to hold your tongue." He started firmly, motioning now to the swordsman he'd brought along, "Break that bond and hold the boy still. Ensure he can't speak another word." Vico ordered, indicating the enchanted bracelet with a point of his bow before taking aim back toward the 'she-wolf'

"Now, while your imbecile friend is taught what holding his tongue truly entails I can assure you that you will be leaving this forest tonight. Two dead students, werewolf or not, would not assist our desire for the forest to be left to us, without any wizards. I can also assure you that your task will be left incomplete. You will not be finishing the collection of anything you were to find, and you'll be leaving all you've taken where you're standing. My herd will escort you the the edge of the woods, then you will leave us with a message for your professors." Vico relaxed the string of his bow slightly, but kept it aimed at the girl lest she should try something funny while he friend was taken from her. He wanted to ensure she understood what he was saying and was agreeable to it before he told her the message and issued the orders to move the pair back to the school. He was sure some of the elders of his tribe would disagree with this decision, but he was confident that the strength fighters with him and his own honour would be enough to convince the tribe that the proper decision had been made, and that their position in the forest was more secure because of it. He had no intention of losing his position over his herd because some fools who truly, and arrogantly, believed themselves to be the most intelligent beings on the planet were spared.

Crispin damned himself for putting Andy into this situation. If he hadn't agreed with Lily to make Blake jealous at the feast, then maybe she would not be here now. The situation had just turned dangerous. He did not know what they would do to him, fighting not to flinch as the centaurs the leader had ordered approached him.

With a swift nod of his head Claphore returned his bow and arrow to their place and pulled out the long blade of his broadsword. With a gleeful smile he trotted close to the pair of humans and holding the blade directly above the bracelet, sliced it in half then placed the tip of the blade at the base of the boys neck. One swipe and that ridiculous human head would be clean off its shoulders.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion, from Crispin asking to let her go which had been pure folly but she loved him for it to the leader of the group ordering his capture for speaking again to him. Andromeda turned abruptly to see the centaur she had dealings with before and shuddered as the large sword came crashing down slicing their bracelets and severing the magical bond. She screamed 'no' of course, was certain she had and looked at the tip of the blade was pushed to the back of his neck. Spinning around she knew herself there was a bond between the two that didn't require a stupid bracelet, she looked at the leader as he spoke to her. She listened to what he said and as he mentioned the list remembered one detail that up till now had been forgotten. The scroll was a portkey, all she had to do was say the words 'Job is Done' to it and once she held Crispins hand, they would get transported back.

But she knew she couldn't risk his life, if the sword came down before she reached out to him all would be lost and more than that the centaurs would most likely take their anger out on any other students in the forest. All her other friends. She took a deep breath then slowly bowed her head, Crispin had the mistletoe and centaur hair in his pockets so he would at least get a chance to relief himself of these.

"We agree to your terms and I am sorry. I didn't realize how far we were, how deep we were" if needs be she would grovel on the ground providing that Crispin got out of this alive. She fervently wished she knew what time it actually was. Surely it was only near lunch time, she was ravenous having had no breakfast, so the centaurs would know she was no real threat ... yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back