DETENTION

Lola Rowann

Wand
Birch Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Dragonstone
As the portkey transported the students from the lawn they found themselves in the middle of the Forbidden forest. Further than they had ever been before...
forest1.jpg

scroll-stock-1.jpg

Lily landed on her feet, then yanked the scroll out from Kat's hand. She didn't care if she gave the Gryffindor a papercut or not. She simply wanted to get this done and over with so she could go back to the Tower and relax. She opened the scroll, then did a double take. "Merlin's saggy left....are they serious? This is just, wow."

"Ugh, so much for playing nice," Kat mumbled as she looked down at the papercut that the girl had given her which bled slightly. She looked at Lily and thought about wiping on her perfect little jacket, but thought better of it instead wiping it on her pant leg. Looking over the other girl's shoulder she saw what it was they were supposed to be accomplishing. "Mad...they've gone mad. How the hell are we supposed to find a centaur hair that isn't still attached," she said out loud, not so much to Lily, but just fuming that they'd given them something so stupid to do.

Lily did her best to ignore the girl next to her. She may have to be stuck out her with her, but she wanted no part of her. She started to walk around, looking at the different trees for a sign of the trees they needed. She didn't respond to the question that Kat posed about the hair, instead simply ignoring her. For the first time in her life, Lily kept her mouth shut tight.

And so they wandered in silence. It was just like she figured it would be, but if it started getting any quieter in there Kat was going to go bonkers. They wandered for a good half hour with no luck of finding anything that was on their list...she was beginning to think that they'd been set up for failure. There were two questions gnawing her inside out, but she wasn't sure if she wanted the answer to it or not. They wandered further into the forest, joined at the wrist looking around hoping to find at least one item on the list.

"How long," she asked in a hushed tone, fighting back the lump in her throat before continuing, "and why?"

The forest was quiet. Too quiet. Lily hated it and wished she was able to talk to her friend, but that was not going to happen. She wanted badly to explain that things were not what she thought between her and Sumner, but was afraid they would get into a huge blowout over this.

Walking along, she was surprised to hear Kat start to speak. "How long what? How long have Sumner and I been helping each other put the pieces of our lives back together?" She knew what Kat was trying to insinuate but she was not going to go there. The things that Kat accused them of the night before just were not totally true. Yes, they had almost had that one time in his dorm, but they were stopped before things had gotten out of hand.

"If that's what you want to call it," she started shakily. "Lily the exact words from his mouth were 'What I'm doing with Lily is no one's business, but ours'...I just want to know how long it's been going on and I want to know why?" Kat wanted to hear that everything had been a misunderstanding, but the words from Sumner rang in her head every day, buzzing like a fly that just wouldn't go away. He had found the one way to hurt her that she couldn't possibly forget...he'd picked her friend to mess around with and now that was the one thing she couldn't get out of her mind. First Kat had lost Sumner, then Andy, Chace was the next to go, and now she didn't have Lily. Her small close knit circle of friends had faltered to about two people that she could trust or that trusted her.

Just as she was about to say something when out of the corner of her eye she saw it. A bundle of mistletoe, but there was no way they'd be able to reach it, especially not bound together. "Well hell. How are we supposed to get anything without a wand? They screwed us," she said seething, hating the professors right now for disarming them and placing them into the middle of the forest alone.

Lily took a deep breath in. Dammit I am gonna make Sumner pay later. What is his issue telling her we are doing anything? Thought we were supposed to be keeping that between us. She took a moment to make sure that she was not inciting her former friend to attack.

"Fine. I would say it started the day that you and Chace joined us in the broom closet. Sumner found me bawling on the floor of the hallway and heard a number of students coming our way, so he picked me up and pulled me into the closet so I could pull myself together. A few days later, Blake and I had a run in. I went to Sumner's room to talk to him since he and I could relate to each other and things just happened. We have been snogging on and off since. Its like a drug. It takes away the pain. There's no emotions involved. He has become my best friend these last few weeks." She wasn't sure if what she said would make Kat feel better or not, but it was the truth. "We have never screwed as you so eloquently put it last night."

She then noticed where Kat had noticed the mistletoe. "We have to be able to reach it somehow."

Kat listened quietly without a word to everything that Lily said to her. Snogging. That was it...that was all they'd been doing? That son of a b1tch made her think that he'd been screwing Lily ever since the two of them had broken up. "That *******...he planted that seed in my head and it's been eating at me," she fumed under her breath, trying to make sense of why he'd done that to her. Then Kat felt bad...she'd blurted out to Blake that Sumner and Lily's relationship had been more physical than it actually was. "I had just wanted to know why...I asked him why he could look past what you had done to Blake when it was the exact same thing that I'd done...I just wanted to know what made you any better than me...I just wanted to know why he couldn't love me again and he told me..." Her voice trailed off and she was pissed as hell. Sumner was a mean son of a b1tch, she'd known that since the day she'd met him, but he had just taken things to a whole new level. It had been bad enough that he'd made her think that they would possibly get back together, but then to make her think that he and Lily were...well doing the nasty.

"I'm sorry for that...more so I'm sorry I said it in front of everyone," Kat took a deep breath before continuing, "I should have come to you in private and worked things out that way. I hate that Blake had to hear it...if I'd known the truth then I wouldn't have said anything." She was ashamed of herself for what she'd done to her once friend, but more so she hated herself for making Blake think that the love of his life was screwing someone else.

Sighing heavily Kat turned her gaze back to the mistletoe. "Well if they didn't have us bound together then I'd say I'd give you a boost up, but these damned things are going to make that impossible." Kat looked around and found a small fallen tree limb. "Hmm," she mused out loud as she picked it up. "How about if we both hold this with both hands and try to knock it down that way?" It wasn't the best idea and it would have been easier if they had wands, but it was something and she was praying it worked.

Lily listened as she told her side of the situation. "Yeah, I kinda guessed that he misrepresented to you somehow. I knew you two had it out in Brightstone but he managed to gloss over that little detail. I will have to give him a beat down later for that one." She narrowed her eyes as she thought about it, faking anger at Sumner. Oh, she would give him a good tongue lashing later for that little slip, but just not the kind that Kat might think. "Appology accepted. And I want to appologize for what I said to you too. I really have no plans on making Sumner a daddy any time soon, or even giving him that opportunity. That was just me trying in any way I could to get to you and I am sorry."

Looking at the branch that Kat pointed out, she assessed it and thought that maybe it would work. "I think we should give the branch a try. Looks like it would work." She moved to pick it up, then stopped. "Did you say anything to Blake before this whole thing started last night about me and Sumner? I am just trying to figure out what set him off other than my dancing. I know for a fact that my dancing with Sumner couldn't have been the catalyst."

"I really thought we might have gotten back together, but...that doesn't matter anymore and I know that is never going to be a possibility ever again so...just yeah," Kat said in a hushed tone, refusing to cry knowing that it would get back to Sumner and that was not a satisfaction she was willing to give him. "Apology accepted...though you and Sumner would make cute kids," she started before realizing what had just come out of her mouth and then said, "sh1t, I can't believe I just said that...I just...wow." Kat clamped her mouth shut before she could say anything else stupid.

Just as they were about to pick up the branch Lily stopped them. "I swear on my life that I didn't say anything to Blake before all of that happened. Actually, we weren't even going to go together up until he asked me the night before. I didn't say anything," Kat said with sincerity in her eyes, letting Lily know that she was dead serious. "If he's anything like Sumner then the littlest thing could set him off...Sumner flips his lid really easily," she stated bowing her head to look at the ground. "But then again you know him better than I do anymore so I didn't really have to tell you that."

"You know, I thought you would be able to work past it. Then again, who am I to think. I thought Blake and I would be able to work through things too. I gave up on that happening when he left me in the tower." Lily turned to face Kat, glad they were working things out. "And don't worry, I am not going to give anyone kids anytime soon. I want to play quidditch so badly and having a kid now? That would really mess things up for me."

She nodded as Kat explained things further. "Ok. I believe you. I just, I just wish I knew how he knew about Ford. Blake was screaming about me and Ford having sex before Sumner plowed his fist into his face." She gave Kat a confused look. "Man this is such a mess." She then started to pick up the branch again, hoping they would reach the mistletoe easily.

"I guess I thought I was...apparently I failed miserably at that though," Kat said in regards to working past wanting to be with Sumner. "Just...the only thing is...if you ever do, well, you know...with Sumner, can you make sure I don't find out? Like make sure he keeps that big mouth of his shut. In some cases ignorance is bliss and this is definitely one of them," she said in a sort of pleading manner. Kat knew that it was probably going to happen...especially now that the idea had been put in Sumner's head, but she didn't need to know about it...she didn't want to know about it.

"Sex? With Ford? I forgot about that part...how much truth is there to that? Nevermind, you don't have to answer," she said, feeling bad for Lily...so many rumors circulating all at once and all revolving around her having sex with someone.

"I couldn't agree with you more. I wish we had a time machine...just so the two of us could go back to the exact point where we messed everything up and fix it. Never making the stupid mistakes that we made," she uttered in a quiet voice as they grabbed the limb and attempted to knock the mistletoe from the tree.

As they were knocking the branch down, Lily spoke. "I have no plans to do that with Sumner. Honest. I really don't. Besides," she said a bit conspiratorily, "There is some truth to the rumors about me and Ford. We did have sex last weekend in Brightstone. He had a room at the Broomsticks and when we met up so I could sign the papers on our apartment and get my key." She then laughed. "Oh, and I am moving into an apartment with Ford. Courtney and Kale will be living there too. Its five bedrooms and just outside of Obsidian." Lily smiled at her friend, happy to share with someone that she was moving forward with her life. "I agreed when Courtney owled me and I knew that Blake and I were over."

"Oh," was all Kat could muster when her friend said that the part about Ford was true. She knew people had sex...she wasn't that naive, but she'd never actually known anyone that close to her to have done so. Just then the lump of mistletoe fell to the ground in front of them. Grinning Kat bent over and picked it up, holing it in front of her before looking curiously at Lily and asking without thinking it through, "What's it like?"

She couldn't believe she'd really just asked her that. Something must have slapped her upside the back of her head and made her stupid or something. "Well that's one down. The bag of leaves or whatnot shouldn't be that hard, but how in the hell are we going to get close enough to a centaur's ass without getting killed?"

Lily smiled as they got the mistletoe finally and dropped the stick. Pulling out the list again, she read what was left to get. At Kat's question her head snapped up. "What?" she asked a bit dumbfoundedly. Looking at her friend, she added "Do you really want to know?" She wasn't sure if it was something that Kat actually was asking or was just trying to make conversation with her.

She started them walking along, looking for the willow leaves or any strands of hair that were left around. "I hope we don't need to be on the ass-end of a centaur. Let's hope we can just find some hair on a branch or something."

Kat's face flushed deep pink when Lily asked her if she really wanted to know. "I mean, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. It's just that...well, before everything happened, well, I'd been thinking about it, you know, with Sumner. I wanted to and I just, well, I guess now that I'm not going to get that chance back...ah heck, I don't know. I guess I'm just curious is all," she managed to stammer out, sounding like a complete idiot.

"Does it look like horse hair," Kat asked her friend about the centaur hair that they were supposed to collect. She'd only ever seen a centaur up close once before and at that particular time she had been focused on getting out of the forest alive that she'd not really been focused on looking at it's hind side.

"Yeah, I think it looks pretty close to horse hair if its from the tail. I think the hair off the head is like ours," Lily replied. Looking at Kat, she spoke softly.

"Well, if you listen to Ford, sex is like riding an M1-A1 Abrahams tank through Valhalla whilst a herald of valkyries play none other than the Ride of the Valkyries as you mow down Nazis and Roman Legions across the halls of Asgard. Oh, and Chewbacca drives the darn thing and you're dressed as the Wolverine (from the comics, early 90s era) and Clint Eastwood mans the gun and Jason Bourne is the engineer. The sheer awesomeness would make you explode OH! How could I forget? Freddie Mercury is standing on the main gun brandishing his guitar and a claymore shouting battle calls." Lily was barely able to get the words all out before busting out in laughter.

"Ok," she continued after regaining control of herself, "Sorry. I have spent a bit too much time talking with Ford as of late he is rubbing off on me. I guess the best way to describe it is that its, well, at least I thought it was pretty good. Ford was different from Blake, but there really isn't one that was better than the other. It's odd." Lily looked at Kat again, then straight ahead. "It's odd that there can be such a difference, but still be amazing, you know?" She wasn't sure if she was explaining it well, but the whole sex thing was confusing to her. Yes, she had been with two very different guys, and had two very different experiences, but she really couldn't understand how she couldn't say one was better than the other.

Kat's mouth gaped open as she tried to make any sense of what Lily was saying and failing miserably. She was just about to ask what a Chewbacca was when her friend finally gave her an actual answer. "Amazing," she said thinking about how it might have been being with Sumner that way. "Does it...well I've heard that it like, hurts sometimes," she more so asked rather thatn stated, she still couldn't believe she was talking about sex so openly like this.

She stopped and looked at something that glistened on the tree limb, but as she looked closer she saw it was merely a spiders web. "Damn," she mumbled under her breath.

Lily blushed a bit as Kat asked her question. "Well, yeah. The first time did but as long as the guy is careful, its not so bad." She didn't want to scare her off from it, but be realistic about it. She knew that when the time was right for her friend it would happen. "Whatever you do, make sure your first time is with someone you really love. I am glad that mine was with Blake, even with all thats happened since. Despite everything Kat, I do love him. I wish I didn't. It would be easier if there was a switch I could flip. The fight last night, the whole mess we are all in, is because I needed to know he still cared about me. That he gave a damn anymore." Lily stopped walking and closed her eyes. "I really miss him, Kat. My actions may say otherwise, but I really do."

Kat nodded, feeling the fire in her face grow hotter as she thought about the same thing that she'd thought about for months, even before she and Sumner had broken up. She had always thought that her first time would have been with him...she had wanted it to be with him because she had loved him at one point and try as she might she just couldn't help but still loving him though she'd lie straight faced to anyone who asked, but she had a feeling that Lily would most likely see right through any act she tried to put on...after all they were pretty much one in the same. "Someone I love...not sure if I even know what that is or feels like anymore. Actually, I'm not even sure if I knew what that ever felt like," she said absentmindedly before looking at her friend. "I know you do. It's practically written all over you actually...kind of like that sad puppy dog who's lost his owner look. Maybe one day he'll see past it all Lily. Forget it you know," Kat said slowly, letting her own words sink through to herself more than her friend. Maybe one day she thought to herself, feeling that shattered place in her chest beginning to throb once more.

"I don't think he will ever forget it. He might forgive, but Blake will never forget it. He is too stuborn," Lily said. "So, let's change topics since this one is depressing me all to hell." She started to laugh as she wiped away a few stray tears from her cheeks. "Did I tell you that I finally got things in line for once I graduate? I haven't decided which team, but I am going to play pro. Oh, and I have an apartment lined up too! I signed the papers and got my keys and stuff in Brightstone." She smiled wide, excited at the prospect of setting up her room over break.

"Stubborn...sounds like someone else I know," Kat said with a slight smirk and then Lily ventured for a change of subject which suited her just fine since it was getting depressing. "Really? That sounds awesome. So the apartment is in New Zealand then," she asked full of curiosity now. She too wished that she was going to be able to graduate this year and just leave this miserable place behind her, but sadly she still had another year under her belt left to go. "Who are you going to be living with?"

"The place is just outside of Obsidian Harbour," Lily said with a smile. "We have a 5 bedroom place, so there is a spare room if someone wants to come visit." She started to lift her right hand to poke at Kat, then realized her motion was about to make her smack her own face and stopped, dropping her hand fast. Not able to hold back laughter, she stopped walking while she tried to compose herself. "Sorry, I forget that we are tied together."

Taking in a deep breath, she continued to speak. "I haven't been there yet, but the apartment is on the shore. I get my own suite of sorts too, so I have my own room and bathroom and everything! You will have to come visit sometime." She tried to avoid the roommate topic for a bit, not quite sure how Kat would react.

Kat laughed when Lily nearly smacked herself in the face, forgetting the two of them were bound together at the wrist. "Wow! Five bedrooms? That place must be huge," she said interested now. "Geez, much better than the accommodations here at school. Even with the prefects bathroom we don't have that much privacy here so having your own bathroom is going to be like a dream come true," Kat exclaimed, feeling a little envious, but more so excited for Lily. "Heck, I'll be there like every break we have," she said jokingly, wondering if Lily would be inviting Sumner to visit as well, but pushed that thought and him out of her mind. "So who else is going to be living there? Anyone else I know?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back