Death of a Father

Sarah Reine

Sarah held her husband's hand to her lips, listening as the beeps from the muggle machine echoed steadily into the room. Once she had thought herself in love with him, after Avery was born. The birth had softened her for a time, had made her see that her once wild ways were destroying her and her forced family. It had been special, for a time. Walks to the park with her babes as her husband went away on business. Phone calls in the night, postcards with beautifully written words. She had loved him once. Until the day she had found out about his other life, his other love. The love whom he could never had told his parents nor his young bride. Ever.

Sarah had given up on magic, on her family, as the pain ate away at her. She tried to keep up the charade for years, convinced that the harder she tried, the more loving she became, that he would bestow all of his love upon her. Until the day he sat her down and told her he would live with his lover most of the year, coming home for the children. He would provide for them and not scandalize her family's good name by divorce. The smile had frozen on her lips, becoming brittle until he had left, flying out that night. That was the day that Sarah Singleton Reine had broken. Each day she woke up, and drank upon the dry sweet sherry until she was foxed before noon.

After many years she became a functioning drunk. None could tell when she was, as she was always in her cups. Yet she knew she was as beautiful as she was years ago; his money saw to that. Her lovers told her so as well. She hated him for so long until the day he came home and collapsed upon the new rug she had ordered the week prior. It was then that all of the good times and all of the bad came rushing to her as she sobbed into the phone. The ambulance came, she rode with him the entire way.

And now here it was she sat, waiting for him to wake, to open his eyes. He was the father of one of her children, her absent husband, yet she would not wish him ill. Not for all of her days.

His eyelids fluttered, his hand twitched within hers.

Bertram opened his eyes and stared confused around the room. The cold sterile atmosphere, along with the pain in his chest, brought fear to his cloudy eyes. Rolling his head on his pillow, he flexed his fingers and found himself staring into the wet eyes of his estranged wife. "Sarah," he whispered, frowning. Why was she crying? His hand left hers to touch fingers upon her cheeks, rubbing the salty stuff between them. "Tears for me wife?" His lips quirked, hand falling weakly to his side.

Sarah's laugh was wet, the tears she'd shed in worry dried quickly with a wipe of her hands across her cheeks. "You worried me, Bertram. Pulling such theatrics to get my attention?" Her grey eyes studied his sallow face, the lines deep grooves beside his mouth, his sunken eyes. His hair, once a deep sable in color, was liberally threaded with grey.

His chuckle became a dry, racking cough. Grimacing he laid back limply against the pillows plumped behind his head and shoulders. "Always the drama queen dear." His lips pulled back into a painful grin. "Where is Adam?" He knew how once the name had made her cringe and knew regret for the pain he caused her.

Sarah stood and carefully perched on the edge of the side of his hospital bed. Once more she gathered his hand to her. "He'll be here soon. His flight should land within the hour." Her thumb brushed over the back of his hand, the nail painted a rich red and perfectly manicured. "What about the boys?"

"I'll not have them see me like this. Besides I'll see them Christmas." Bertram coughed then grasped her hand tightly as the machine began to beep alarmingly. He began to shudder then to tremble. He was cold, so cold. The doctor and nurses rushed in and surrounded his bed. He was afraid. His hand clamped onto Sarah's, refusing to break his grasp.

Sarah held tight to his hand, glaring fiercely as the muggles tried to have her step back. She watched as they worked on him, pressing their machines to him. His body shook and jerked. His head fell to the side and as the light left his eyes, he mouthed to her two words. "I'm sorry." Her own chest shuddered with tears. Bertram, the father of Avery, was gone.

Sarah sat, dry eyed with a horrible cup of coffee as she penned a letter. Her hands shook, coffee spilled and she tore it in pieces. Whipping out her wand she set fire to the whole damned desk, watching it burn. The heat hit her from the flames though inside she remained cold. As she would remain. Gone with the tears were her caring. Flicking her wand, she ended the fire and whirled, her skirts falling about her knees. Avery was away as was Sumner. Cold eyed, hands steady, she left the house. Forever. It was her home no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back