Daydreaming in the Garden

Tabitha Theirin

OOC First Name
Sammy
Wand
Curved 10 1/2 Inch Sturdy Blackthorn Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Tabitha had decided to go explore the expansive property of Hogwarts rather then do her defense against the dark arts homework. After about 20 minutes of walking around Tabitha found the gardens. She decided this was the best place to take a walk. Her mom always talked about how she, and her father wanted a big house with an even bigger garden. One where they could grow flowers and their own food. Then her father had died, and her mom had to pack all those dreams away in order to care for her.

Tabitha had a hint of a smile while she walked through her garden. When she was younger she had often dreamed of what her life would be like had her father not died. She liked to think they would have moved into a big house on the outskirts of the city. Mom and dad could have her garden, and she would have lots of room to play. Now that she knew there was magic she was sure that her dad would have been so excited for her. Not like her mom who just seemed scared the whole time. In the middle of her day dream Tabitha looked up from her feet, and saw a girl standing in the graden just ahead of her. "Hi there!" Tabitha called out. There was no point in ignoring the girl, and she looked to be Tabitha's age. Maybe she could be her second ever friend at Hogwarts.

Esme shivered as she trudged away from the castle's courtyard and out onto the open lawn, a long, deep red scarf flying wildly behind her like living tendrils, the two arms whipping mercilessly in the cold, bitter breeze. It was still the tail-end of Winter, which was one of the unusual changes the girl had noticed, after moving from the Northern Hemisphere to the South. The lack of snow had been another strange aspect, though she was glad it wasn't necessary to pack on layer after layer of clothing just to go outdoors. A simple long sleeved top and a small coat was enough to suffice.

Even with the weather a grey and bleary as it was, Esme needed to take some time out in the fresh air. She'd experienced a heavy migraine the previous night and thought that perhaps being outside again would be healthy for her. Adjusting to new places had always been difficult, especially with the little interaction she had with her family on the outside, bar the infrequent holidays. Both her body and mind needed time to become familiar with her new home.

Esme slowed down as she entered the gardens, her fingers lightly brushing the few flowers that thrived where others had died during the Winter season. She couldn't quite understand why some plants wilted or blossomed depending on the season. Perhaps it was something she'd ask the Herbology professor in future. She continued along, weaving through some hedges until she came to a stop and took a rest in the crisp green grass, leaning her back against a solid shrub for support. Her cold hands disappeared into the bag at her side and withdrew a large orange tinted orb, a purchase from one of the shops along the village of Brightstone. Quietly, she placed her hand on its glassy surface and whispered, "Warmth."
The orb pulsated with a gentle, fiery light, casting an aura of heat around the immediate area and fighting back the prickling cold. Esme flexed her hands as her cool pale skin slowly regained its pinkish tinge, and leaned back against the shrub once more, closing her eyes and falling into a half-doze.

Perhaps a half hour later, the sound of approaching footsteps could be heard crunching through the garden nearby. Esme opened her eyes, unsure of her much time had passed and got to her feet. Was it late? Did I fall asleep? It couldn't have been that long. The sky was still cloudy and grey, and she wasn't able to discern the time. A voice grabbed her attention and she turned around slowly, a little disoriented. There, stood only another young girl, around her own age. She looked familiar, though only as a face she'd passed by between classes. "Oh, hello." she said uncertainly. She brought one hand up to comb down a few tangled stray hairs that had gotten caught in the shrubbery. If this other girl was still out and about, it couldn't have been too late in the evening.

As Tabitha looked closer it seemed that the girl had been asleep. Well this was a weird place for a nap especially when there was a nice warm castle just a few minutes away. She was definitely awake now though so there was no turning back. "Oh sorry if I woke you up, but at least now you wont catch a cold from sleeping outside!" Tabitha said while she bounded up to the girl.

She looked vaguely familiar. Didn't they have defense against the dark arts together? Emily or something. "My names Tabitha. Were in the same year right? Hey wait, whats that?" Tabitha asked pointing to the orange ball in the girls hand. She would have thought it was just a normal ball except now that she was closer to it it seemed to be radiating warmth. Was there fire in the ball? Could she cast fire magic? That would be so cool! They hadn't learned that in charms yet.

Esme shook her head. "You didn't wake me, I was just relaxing. Having some time to myself." she responded, having been at least semi aware whilst she was sitting there. The slightest noises had continously caught her attention and returned her thoughts to the present, only for them to eventually wander off again. Actually falling asleep in the middle of the grounds would have been embarrassing.

She finished smoothing her hair back down and let her hand drop back to join the other, clasped around the orb that the energetic girl had just inquired about. Esme's eyes flickered to the object, it's inner orange lightly gently pulsating, like a person's heartbeat. The burning glow reflected back in her eyes, lighting them up as she turned her attention back to Tabitha. "If you're a firstie too then yes, we are in the same year. And this." her nails drummed against the orb's surface, creating a sound like two glasses clinking together. "Is a Heat Orb. It creates a field of heat within a small area, so there's no chance I'd catch a cold out here." she smiled, happy to be able to show off one of her flashy new toys. "Bought it at one of the shops in Brightstone, I think. Anyway, I'm Esme. It's nice to meet someone new."

Tabitha nodded, but didn't really believe the girl when she said she hadn't been asleep. Heck if it were warmer out Tabitha could see herself falling asleep out here too. If she was embarrassed then she wouldn't say anything. That would just be mean. Tabitha listened while the girl explained the orange ball.

"That is so cool! I want one. At the next break you have to show me the store you bought it from!" Tabitha said while putting her hands all over the warm orb. Tabitha didn't even think about just imposing herself on someone else's school break. "Magic is so cool. I wish I had known about it sooner." she added wistfully.

Esme was a little taken aback when Tabitha expressed her want to be shown where the store the Heat Orb had come from was, as if it were something Esme had owed to her. "Well, I guess if I see you out and about at Brightstone I could show you, if I remember the way. Depends if-" she stopped, noticing the girl had literally just decided to start rubbing her hands all over the clean, glossy surface of her orb, which was still being held between her hands. What. She had no idea where the hell this girl's hands had even been. She could be the type to pick her nose or not wash her hands. Oh no, please, help yourself.

Esme's mouth opened and closed a few times, both eyebrows raised in a what-the-hell-do-you-think-you're-doing manner. She couldn't find any words, until Tabitha made a comment about not knowing about magic sooner. Esme's lips closed again. Oh. OH. she thought with a subtle shake of her head. She came from one of those backgrounds. "So you were uh, born from a muggle family, then?" she inquired with a tight lipped expression, gently pulling the orb back toward her chest.

"I'll make sure to look for you then." she told Esme. It shouldn't be that hard to find her on the weekend, and Tabitha really wanted some cool magic things she could show her mom over Christmas. Maybe she could even find her a present! Every other year she had made something at school, but now that she had money the school had lent to her she could actually buy her something.

Tabitha looked up when Esme pulled the orb closer to her, and asked about her family. "Yeah. My mom is a muggle anyways. My dad probably was too. At least thats what mom thinks. He died a long time ago." Tabitha told Esme. "The word muggle is so silly." she added after thinking about it for a few seconds. "I mean really how does anyone come up with a word like that? Muggle." the more she said it the funnier it sounded. Tabitha shook her head, and got back on track. "Are there any muggles in your family? Or all they all witches and wizards? It must have been awesome growing up around magic all the time. It would make life so much easier." she questioned Esme. Tabitha wondered if they would still be as poor as they were if her mother was a witch. Would she still be a waitress? No. She would have a really cool magical job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back