Open Daring!

"Of course you think it's 'just fun'" She said, resisting the urge to poke her tongue out and Ajax's excitement about skateboarding. "You probably think something bungie jumping is just fun sport or something," She accused, lowering herself off the monkey bars after Ajax. "Okay, but no hills or anything," She said firmly, looking around for Ajax's skateboard. She didn't want him to think she was a baby or something and too scared to try it, but she wasn't about to get hurt just to show off. "And you do it first." Nicole added quickly. A demonstration would make her feel a lot better, she hoped.

Ajaccio laughed loudly at her statement, and though he did think that bungie jumping looked like a fun sport, he’d not yet been allowed to yet, being not quite old enough to allow himself to. ”I’m not allowed to yet,” the boy pouted a little, ”Most places have a minimum age to do it,” he told her as he grabbed the hat he’d discarded and then bounded over to his rucksack where the skateboard was tucked underneath. He removed it and placed it down on the ground. He easily stood on it and moved a little closer with it to where Nicole was. ”I’ll show you how it’s done,” but rather than actually skateboarding, since she would sitting down on the skateboard and being pulled along by him, he figured he should show her that. If only to show her that it was okay to start at this level. So with a knowing grin he sat down on the skateboard, with his legs crossed in front of him and then held a hand out to Nicole, ”Drag me along!”

Nicole shook her head in disbelief, mouthing 'not old enough yet' and laughing. "You're kinda crazy, you know that, right?" Nicole thought she would probably die if someone tried to get her to jump off anything, bungie cord or not.
She eyed the skateboard warily as Ajax pulled it out, he certainly made it look easy and Nicole wondered how often he practiced. She could ride a bike, but she didn't think her balance was that good. Rolling her eyes, she grabbed Ajax's hand, tugging him behind her as she tried to lean into a slow jog. It was harder than she'd expected, but the pair was able to get some momentum going, Nicole even laughing when one of the wheels caught on a rock and nearly dislodged her grip. "Okay, okay, my turn," She gasped, letting them roll to stop as she caught her breath. "I think I'm doing all the hard work I want to sit."

Ajaccio smiled easily as she pulled him along, it was a little interesting to be pulled along in such a way, not what he was normally used to and he had to resist the urge to just stand and do it himself. But he let himself be tugged until the skateboard got caught and she was yanked from his grip. Ajax rolled a little further before he got up from the skateboard, pushing it lightly with his feet until both he and it rejoined Nicole. ”Okay, I can do all of the hard work now,” he said, ”Sitting on a skateboard is really easy, if you sit legs crossed it’ll be the best way to balance. If you want to stop just yell stop and if you feel like you’ll fall off try to not put your hands out, it’ll just scrape your palms, which can hurt a lot,” Ajaccio gave her a few bits of advice, hoping that any nervousness she might feel about it would be squashed. He would do his best to go slow and make sure she felt safe and comfortable. He didn’t at any point want her to not feel safe. He felt comfortable and at ease on the skateboard, but she maybe didn’t. He waited for her to be ready and then held out his hand to her.

"If I die, I'm going to haunt you," She said primly as she made her way back over to Ajax for her go. Trying to brace her hand on the ground as she sat awkwardly on the skateboard, feeling it wobble back and forth a bit as she shifted her weight. It was tricky to get settled without the dang thing rolling away, but she managed to get both her legs onto the board, folding them slowly like Ajax suggested. "Okay... but if I yell stop, you better stop," She said, leveling Ajax with a look she usually reserved for her little brother to convey how serious she was. It was nerve-wracking not to have her hands or feet ready to stop the board, so she was trusting him not to do anything too crazy. Taking a deep breath, she grabbed Ajax's hand tightly and scrunching her eyes closed preemptively. "Okay, go!"

Ajax laughed loudly at her comment, ”Okay, if you do, you have my permission to haunt me for the rest of my life,” he told her still laughing lightly as he spoke. He watched as she got on to the skateboard and got herself settled before grabbing his hand, gripping it tightly and he watched as she scrunched her eyes closed. He didn’t want her to have a bad experience, so he began moving slowly, tugging her along as he went. Making sure that she wasn’t tipping over and that it was gently being guided along the ground he did it slowly enough too that she wasn’t moving that quickly. He moved a little quicker after a moment and kept his gaze on her, ”let me know if this is too fast,” the boy told her, he didn’t want her to not be safe or not feel like she was perfectly safe. He would keep going likely until she said she wanted to stop, ”You’re doing real good Nicole, maybe soon you can be stood up on the board,” he added with as much encouragement as he could put into his tone.

Peeking her eyes open as Ajax pulled, Nicole let out a little whoop as they rolled around the playground. It wasn't so bad and Nicole figured she might actually be enjoying herself. Then Ajax mentioned standing up and Nicole felt her stomach twist up. "Shouldn't you be wearing a helmet or something if you're going to stand up," She said hesitantly. Nicole didn't want Ajax to think she was boring, but she knew it wasn't very smart to skateboard or anything without a helmet. "We don't all have big poofy hair to project us, you know," She added, hoping her own hair wasn't a mess from all the running around. "Okay, we can stop, please," She said, suddenly paranoid that she must look silly doing all this. When Ajax brought them a halt, she scrambled ungracefully off the board, letting it roll over to him. "Can you stand up on it then? Do you know any tricks?" Watching someone do skateboard tricks, even without a helmet, was probably a lot cooler looking than scooting around on it like a little kid.

Ajaccio went slowly, only picking up the pace a little as he felt she got comfortable. He shrugged at her statement, but laughed when she commented on his hair, ”It really does protect me,” The boy said. The moment she asked to stop, he reduced the speed and came to a stand still. He turned around to her as she stood up and he stopped the skateboard from rolling too far away from him. At the question he stood up on the board and balanced easily, only moving a little. He’d spent a lot of time on a skateboard, he felt comfortable and at ease just stood on it like he was. ”I can do a few tricks, but it’s more difficult in a park like this,” he commented glancing around but, he pushed off with one foot and he was easily able to skate around the park, weaving in and out of the different park attractions. He did a little jump with the board, something it was clear Ajaccio had done before. He was at ease on the board, a faint smile on his features and the air blowing back the thick curls, eventually he stopped in front of her and smiled, ”It’s pretty easy after a while,” Ajax said. ”Do you have the time? I need to probably get going soon,”

Nicole crossed her arms, ready to let Ajax try and impress her with his tricks. He'd said it would be hard in the park, but he didn't seem to have too much trouble navigating the park, even able to jump with the board. Nicole once again lamented her lack of balance, giving Ajax some brief applause when he was done. She'd never look that cool.

"Oh no, I don't, but it is getting a bit late. My Dad's probably wondering where I am too," She said, trying not to wince at how lame that sounded. She didn't want to make it weird if Ajax had to leave, but why'd she have to mention her dad and sound like a kid. "But I'll see you around school, right?" She asked hopefully. Nicole was looking forward to starting school with a lot of friends, and she was definitely hoping to include Ajax on that list.

Ajax gave a little bow when she applauded before lifting the skateboard, ”Yeah, I should head back to my mother’s place, it was real good to meet you Nicole!” he gave her a warm smile as he slipped the hat back on his head and grabbed his rucksack. He swung it on to his shoulders and adjusted the weight. ”Definitely see you at school!” he told her back with an eager expression, he was quite pleased that he’d met someone who could be a friend for school. He was sure in the back of his mind that in the months between now and school she’d meet others and become better friends with them, forgetting all about Ajax. He put the skateboard back down and gave her one last wide and friendly smile, ”I also won’t forget my promise, I’ll take you to France one day,” he grinned easily and then began skating out of the park, offering one last wave to her as he headed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back