Contemplation

Aroha Jennings

Wand
Coconut Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Star Dust
Aroha stared over the edge of the cliff, thinking. The way she was staring, and the expression on her face, would probably be enough to make someone go get a teacher, but Aroha wasn't going to jump. She wasn't that stupid. Or was she?

Aroha sighed, it had been a long, hard day. She was finding Hogwarts way tougher than she had expected. Tears came to her eyes as she thought about her home in Kurow, and all the stuff that she could have been doing with her friends. A cold wind blew her hair loose from the ponytail. Never mind. It was about to fall out anyway she thought. Aroha had a few friends at Hogwarts, but with 2/3 of them (she had 3 friends) she had only talked to once. Shivering, Aroha stuck her hands in her pocket, and found a battered piece of parchment. She pulled it out and looked at it- it was her photo, her most prized possesion. Aroha watched her parents smiling and waving, and a single tear-drop fell on them. If only her wish could be granted... but no. There was no magic to bring back the dead.

((will be away for a few days, but will view the topic asap. Feel free to reply!! Btw I'm not actually that depressed. Its just a story :lol: ))

Matteo was exercising on the stairs going up the cliffs. It was one of the only places he could do it without people gawking at her work ethic. He had to be in shape for breakdancing of course. He sprinted her way up the stairs, taking them by twos, and rested, hands on his knees, as he reached the top. He was about to turn around to do lunges back down, but as he turned, he saw a girl standing at the edge of the cliff. He was mesmerized by the sight. This was something he only saw in TV shows that he watched back home, all cozy and safe on his sofa. He didn’t know if the girl wanted to jump or not. She looked a bit familiar, and Matteo realized he’d seen the girl in his classes a few times. A Gryffindor. Shuddering, Matteo drew closer to her, not wanting to surprise her, in case she did fall over.

As he got within a few yards of her, he saw that the girl was holding a photograph of two people. Perhaps her parents. The girl was crying, Matteo realized with a jolt. He didn’t have much experience with comforting people, but he could sure try. Holding out a tentative hand, as if ready to catch the girl if she fell, Matteo spoke. “Hey, you okay there?”

Aroha began to think about her lessons. It wasn't fair that every class had to have something to do with the dark arts. Even Herbology. There was definately something creepy about her Herbology Professor. She stepped closer to the edge and blinked. She could see the bottom of the cliff now.

Suddenly there was a rustling noise. Aroha jumped. She hadn't expected anyone to come up. When asked if she was OK, Aroha had a serious think. "I, I think so," she said, shivering. It was ridiculously cold, and Aroha wished she'd brought her cloak. What a humiliating sight, she thought. She stuffed her photo in her pocket and wiped her eyes. "Its j-just been a lo-long d-day."

Aroha wondered how she could get out of having a conversation. Run away? Make an excuse? Or... fall down the cliff? No, yes? She stayed put but stepped further back towards the edge. Think of the good things she thought urgently. Don't do this again.

Aroha hadn't been this distressed since she was younger. Whats happening to me?? she asked herself worriedly.

((mucked up in previous post... have 4 friends :p))

As Bridget was walking to the cliffs she saw a girl about her age who was also a Gryffindor, she seemed to have been crying she was steping back away from a boy little by little and seemed to be getting closer to the edge inch by inch Bridget didn't know what the situation was but she was not gonna let someone hurt themself, she walked over to the girl and boy and flat out asked "If your thinking about going over the edge dont thats not the way to solve things," Bridget said in a gentel voice but still with enough firmness in her voice to show she ment what she said.

"Don't say that. I've done it before." replied Aroha in a flat voice. She could try, couldn't she??

As the girl relpied shed done it before Bridget had no idea what she ment but responded with "You've jumped over a cliff before? i don't think so or you wouldn't be here, now get away from the edge of that cliff right now!" Bridget was extremly conserd about the girl and what she would do.

"Of course I haven't jumped over a cliff before. I fell." Aroha smiled sarcastically. "Trust me, with my life, I've been in way worse situations than this." Aroha was getting carried away and comments were just flying out of her mouth. She shuffled backwards a little more, her heart beating. Aroha was past crying. Past complaining about her stupid life. It was time to get over it, or at least over the cliff.

((you arent too worried about my sanity, are you???))

Lily had been sitting at the cliffs, again, with her legs swinging over the edge. She loved the peace the cliffs had. She went there everyday. There wasn't one where she hadn't been. With a smile Lily looked out to the lake. Voices not too far from where Lily sat, drew her attention away from what she was doing, one she recognized. By the boy who'd thought friend were important and then two others. Two girls, she didn't know. Lily stood up and looked over to them. One of the girls looked like the were about to jump. Lily couldn't help but let out a laugh. Lily was in Heels and at the same place as the girl who liked she was about to jump and the other two people looked more worried than if the girl was hanging by a finger. Lily pushed down her skirt and walked over to the two others.

"If the girl wants to jump, let her jump. This school is so rubbish anyway." Lily said, to the two, in her usual soft, cold tone.

Aroha heard laughter, and a girl saying she should jump. "Very nice, arent you." She said in a low, awful sarcastic voice. "You know, its people like you that make me want to jump."

Aroha looked around for comfirmation that everyone hated her.

Because, she knew everyone did.

"No I'm not gonna let her jump!" Bridget snarled at the new commer not taking her eyes off the girl shuffling closer to the edge. "Yeah well I've had a hard life to but that dosen't make me want to end it," Bridget said focasing her attention to the girl at the cliffs edge agian ignoring the other girl. "Come over her away from the edge and we can talk ok," Bridget said in a stern but reasoning voice. The boy was being very quite Bridget was getting the impression he didn't know what to do, Bridget hoped he'd step in and back her up about having the girl back away from the cliff.

(no i read that you said it was all fake)

Aroha stayed silent, thinking over her options. She could jump, or she could wait, or she could come away from the cliff and... who knows.

Why are they here? I just want to be left alone to my miserable death.
thought Aroha placidly, her first clear thought in ages. She drew her thin arms into her feeble body, a result of not eating, and thought some more, ignoring the efforts made to get her to come down. She felt a gust of wind, and steadied her footing. Aroha coughed at the sudden chill. She was getting sick.

((I'm hoping to drag this on a bit... maybe a teacher might come up??? She would freak if a teacher came :shifty: I'm so mean to my characters.))

Kiera was jogging around the lawn. She was dressed in a workout top and shorts with Nike running shoes. It was training season for her, well technically her season never ended. It was her goal to make it to the Olympics next year but she knew it was going to be tough to do since she was missing several months of practice. Thank god she was already ahead of the competition.

As she neared the cliffs, Kiera saw that there were several young students very near the edge. One girl in particular looked like she was right on the edge. The cliffs were supposed to be off limits though she had been known to break that rule. Kiera sighed. Duty called. Kiera jogged towards the small group. "Back away from the edge." she said in an authoritative voice. "You know you really shouldn't be out here." she said with a kind smile.

A voice. Kindness. How long since that had happened? Of course it must be all an act. No-one likes Aroha.

Aroha looked down. She hated to disobey anyone, but the will to jump was still there. She turned around to look over the scenery. Sympathy? Ha. she thought stupidly.

The wind continued to blow, getting stronger...

Kiera frowned as the young girl ignored her. Why wasn't she addressing Kiera since she had clearly spoken to the girl? Was it Kiera's imagination or did the girl seem like she wanted to jump? She shook her head. "Please come away from the edge." she said with a smile. "You know it's not smart to ignore the Head Girl." she hinted. There was humor in her last sentence but she was still serious.

"Thats what I've been trying to tell her," Bridget said to another girl approching who she reconzed as the head girl, Bridget hoped shed be able to do something to get the girl away from the edge Bridget was trying but the girl seemed to be determind. "She want's to jump, i've been trying to get her away from the edge to come and talk to me about whats going on and why she wants to jump and the nasty comments of encourgment arn't helping, please do something use a spell something we can't let her jump," Bridget was loosing it her mother had actully taken her life in a simalar way to this and Bridget couldn't have stopped it then, but this time she'd do whatever she could to stop it, she wasn't going to let it happen agian.

(not true about the mom part just thought id let you know aroha, didn't want you to freak or think you'd hit a sensitve area or something k)

Kiera's eyes widened as another girl said that the girl on the ledge was wanting to jump. What was with the first years this term? She had already broken up a very bloody fight. Kiera whipped out her wand. She would not let this girl get hurt. She didn't want to have to use a spell on the girl but she would if it came down to that. Kiera shook her head. "I don't want to charm you but I will if I have to." she said, meaning it. "Why would you want to jump? What's upsetting you?" she asked, trying to understand so she could talk her out of it.

Sam trudged up the worn path towards the cliffs, feeling the wind dash against his face as he neared the edge. He often came here now in contemplation. First it had been the lake, but after the time he had spent with Jessame there, it felt as though the place had become a touch spiritual to him. It was cold and occasionally his cheeks were spattered with sea water from the rushing waves against the rocks. The closer he got, the more he began to notice a shadow on the edge. It seems that someone was there before him; or rather, many people. His new sanctuary had been disturbed. Sam continued on his way, frowning in puzzlement. What on earth could have caused such a gathering of people?

As he neared the group, he realised that there weren’t quite so many people as he had thought There were about four, standing slightly back from another girl who was dangerously close to the edge. Now, Sam was very shy and so had nothing better to do than observe when he was not being talked to. As such, he was very interested in people and care about everyone greatly, even those who weren’t particularly nice to others. He recognised the girl by the edge immediately; Aroha Jennings, a first year Gryffindor. Sam had no idea that he was the only one here who knew her name.

“Aroha!” he said softly, barely being heard over the coaxing of the others. The wind whipped his voice to her though, and shock in his voice carried. He had no idea that she was thinking of jumping, and so naively he called out. “Why, you must be freezing!” It was thoughtfully said and meant, and Sam stepped forward right to the edge next to her. “Look here, didn’t you bring a jacket?”. He barely noticed the other people. “Do you want mine?” he said, smiling kindly at her.

(( Don't worry, I've been told that I can be here, thank goodness x) ))

Aroha heard the voices behind her chattering. Head girl, jump, charm, upset, want.

Jacket... Aroha heard a familiar voice. She turned around, shivering, and recognised Sam, one of Sephora's friends.

She turned back to face the cliff, shaking uncontrollably. Just then, a strong gust of wind came and blew her frail body over. Aroha felt her head crack on a rock, and sensed that she was right next to the edge. She didn't know it, but she was extremely lucky not to fall over the cliff. Aroha gave a soft sigh and went out of conciousness.

((Ha. Just in case you're wondering, Aroha is friends with Sephora. We are a very dramatic bunch :p. Who'd believe that the quiet school-librarians would actually do scenes like this on hnz??? Oh, btw Bridget, don't panic 'bout it :p))

Sam’s heart stopped as Aroha fell forward, buffeted by the wind. She hadn’t even thrown her hands out to stop herself, and the real reason of her being there hit him. Before he could react, she was down and unconscious. It seemed she had hit a rock.

With a cry of alarm, Sam fell to his knees and planted both hands on the other side of her body lest she roll again, this time into the waves. What had pushed this normally sweet girl to such heights and danger? Now Sam recognised her properly. This was one of Sephora’s friends, someone he had seen chatting to her on a few occasions. “Aroha,” he said, still shocked. Forgetting the other students, Sam shrugged off his jacket and bundled it around her as he picked her up. He stumbled back precariously away from the edge as the rock crumbled slightly beneath his feet. “Dammit,” he said softly. That was probably the worst profanity one could get out of Sam.

He turned helplessly to the others in the silence, broken only by the howling wind. “Which way is it to the Hospital Wing, then?”

Kiera smiled as a boy named Sam made his way through the crowd. She had met Sam in the hospital wing when he had been fretting over Sephora. Kiera knew his true feelings towards the Hufflepuff girl but she wouldn't ever tell a soul. Suddenly, a wind whipped through her honey brown curls. Kiera gasped as the fragile looking girl was blown over by the wind. She was lucky that she didn't fall over the edge. Kiera would have saved her of course, her wand was already out and pointed at the girl.

Sam, reacted before Kiera could levitate the girl off of the ground. He had the girl in his arms. What was with these first years? Did they all enjoy the hospital wing? Kiera shook her head. "Sam, I can levitate her there." she said pointing out the obvious. "But if you would like to carry her," she said, walking to where the boy was, Kiera pointed her wand at the girl. She muttered the featherlight spell. "Then this should help." Kiera said with a smile. All of the girl's weight was gone. It would be as if Sam carried a feather in his arms.

"Alright, lets go to the Hospital wing then." Kiera said, aware of how ridiculous she was going to look in her workout clothes in the school.

(( Sure, if you'd like!
What do you think, Ki-chan?
(I'll be in two places at once, tee hee! No wait...one place...at the same time as the other me, who is looking after Sephora o_O) ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back