Cons and Congeniality

OOC First Name
Claire
There was nothing particularly unordinary about the street on which The Hippogriff's Head stood. To Muggles, the rustic wizarding tavern appeared to be little more than a disused old house between two shops. Nobody ever seemed to notice it was there, nor question its derelict structure, which was probably because it was charmed to be that way. There were many pubs like these scattered around the state of New York, but only this one saw Nathaniel Lagowski as a regular visitor. He was greeted with familiar smiles as he apparated into the dimly lit corner with a sharp 'crack'. Both the staff and fellow frequenters knew his face well, though he rarely conversed with the shadier folk who hung around in the booths near the back door.

The pub was fairly quiet today, which Nathaniel assumed had something to do with the approaching school term - that or the Quidditch game being held a few cities away. Smaller games were often wagered on by hopeful witches and wizards from neighbouring states, and it didn't do well to trust someone else to correctly relay the results. As such, what customers the bar lacked, the nearby Quidditch pitch was undoubtedly making up for.

Nathaniel sat himself down between two empty stools and ordered himself a butterbeer. Usually he might have opted for something stronger, but rumour had it that his brother Rick was in trouble with the Muggle press, and Nathan wouldn't have been surprised if Stella turned up on his doorstep at any minute for an indefinite stay. He sighed into his glass, but then smiled at the thought of seeing his twins again. Those terrors. He sure had missed them.

Adam couldn't really say why but he just felt like his time as a New York city police officer was over. He had spent ten years in the muggle world, enforcing its laws and protecting its people, it was a decision he hadn't regretted for the majority of his time on the job. The last couple of years had been different however, ever since his wife found out what he was, what their daughter was she had been quick to end their relationship. He had been a fool to think he could hide it from her for so long. Ever since she left he didn't enjoy his life in the muggle world anymore and with Diane growing up so fast it felt like time to move on.

The move out of New York was imminent, New Zealand felt like the most likely place to go as it was where Diane would be going to school. He had no job waiting for him on the other side of the world but he had no doubt he would be able to find work soon enough. Before he said good by to the city he once loved and to the country that had been his home since leaving school Adam decided to pop in on one of his old drinking places. It was hard to slip away to a wizard pub especially one out of the city when he had been married to a muggle so it had been a while. He slipped into the pub and headed straight to the bar. "Firewhisky please,"

Nathaniel glanced up at man who'd approached the bar, noticing the familiar lines of a tired Father etched into his forehead. He smiled - mainly to himself - and turned his attention to the bartender. "On me," he said affably, indicating to the firewhisky the man had just ordered. The Lagowskis certainly weren't made of money, but their business about the farm had been doing particularly well that season, and Nathaniel felt it only fair to distribute the good (if very small) fortune. All he could hope was that Mrs Lagowski's feelings were mutual when she heard how much he'd spent that evening. Nathan grimaced and grinned a little, steeling himself in advance for the certain berating. "Raylee's going to have to buy her school supplies from a yard sale!" he heard her cry, which only widened his knowing grin, for he had secretly been putting aside three galleons a week to surprise his daughter with brand new school robes at the beginning of term.

The Father of five took another sip of his butterbeer and licked the foam from his lips. He wondered if he was right about the man at his side being a Dad, or if his sixth sense for spotting parenthood was beginning to falter. There was only one way to find out. Luckily for Nathaniel, conversations came readily and without fear. "I've not seen you around here before," he said. "New to the area?"

Adam was not expecting such kindness from a stranger but he graciously accepted and hoped he would get chance to return the favour with another round. The man took the drink and sipped at it. The burn in the back of his throat was a welcome sensation. Soon his whole life would change so he wanted to savour the moment. "Thank you," He raised his glass to the man before drinking a little more. Adam found it rather strange that the man would buy him a drink when he barely knew him, perhaps he had spent so much time among muggles that he had forgotten how generous wizards could be.

He was asked if he was new to the area, Adam gently shook his head,"Soon to be leaving actually, my daughter starts school at Hogwarts in New Zealand in the fall so I'm moving us out there, it'll be a big change but I'd rather she be as close to her new school as possible," Adam downed the rest of his firewhisky and placed the empty glass upside down on the bar. "I've mostly kept to muggle bars the last few years, going with my work colleagues and what not," Adam was aware he was rambling but he hadn't spoken to a wizard in so long it all seemed to be spilling out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back