OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Wand
Straight 11 1/2 Inch Unyielding Mahogany Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Charlie made his way down from the Ravenclaw common room, his mind still racing with thoughts on the pink flower he had received from his girlfriend earlier that day. He half-expected a red one back from Rose since the two of them were dating now and the organiser had made it clear that red was for love and stuff, not crushes. Halfway down the stairwell, the boy buttoned his suit jacket and ran a hand through his hair one more time to make sure it stayed that way. He was a little nervous now to meet up with Rose because of the whole situation but figured that she would most likely have noticed the colour difference, too, as by now she would have received his flower as well. Charlie leaned against a nearby wall when he reached the entrance hall and waited quietly for Rose to arrive also, trying to stay as relaxed as possible.

Ever since she received Charlie's rose, Rose felt kind of terrible. He had sent her a red rose, while she had unthinkingly sent him a pink one. It hadn't been something she had consciously done, she simply had dismissed the red ones as being too serious. But they were dating, of course she should have sent him red. The girl had spent most of the day a little anxious about this, wondering how Charlie had taken the pink rose. Had he minded? Had he even noticed? Hopefully he would still want to go to the dance with her, and hopefully he wasn't mad. While getting ready, Rose had decided at the last minute to put the red rose Charlie had sent her in her hair. It had been surprisingly tricky, but now she was fairly sure it would stay in place. Hopefully, this would show him how much the rose had meant to her. She made her way downstairs and looked around for Charlie. When she spotted him, she waved and hurried over. "Hi." She said, stopping in front of him with a nervous smile. "I got your rose." She said, perhaps a bit unnecessarily as she gestured to the flower in her hair.

He watched as she approached him and waved back at Rose awkwardly. He wasn't sure how to react given the current situation but then he noticed she was wearing his rose in her hair. It was a nice gesture and he did really appreciate that she was wearing it, though it didn't help clear away his confusion at all. ''I... I can see that,'' the Ravenclaw said with a slight smile. Charlie remained silent for a moment, trying to come up with the words to express to Rose what he was thinking about the whole flower thing. He was about to say something but closed his mouth again, uncertain whether he should say what was on his mind or not. The teen gave it a moment's thought, convinced that talking about it would be the only way to clarify the situation. ''We... We should talk about this, right?'' He pointed at the red flower in his hair. ''Because I am really confused as to what we actually are right now. For the record, we are still dating and stuff... right?'' Charlie asked.

this is bad, sorry

Rose could tell there was some tension in the air as soon as she neared her boyfriend, but tried to keep her smile bright on her face. She hoped he would forgive the color of her rose because of the message she had attached to it, which had hopefully made it clear she was happy to be his girlfriend. Just as she thought that maybe they would just move on without mentioning it, Charlie said they had to talk about it. Rose sighed softly, a frown appearing on her face at his words. "I know we sent different colored flowers, but that doesn't mean you have to be so confused. It's just... a rose." She said with a shrug. "I even said in my message that we are dating, it shouldn't be such a big deal." She realized she was being defensive, and awkwardly adjusted the flower in her hair. "Look, I'm sorry. I just... felt like the red one was so serious and grown up. It's silly, but I always figured that was more something for the older students. I keep forgetting we are the older students now." She muttered. "Wait, do you still... want to be dating and stuff?" The thought occurred to her suddenly. What if he was trying to break up with her and she had misread his question? She glanced at him nervously, unsure what to expect.

He squinted his eyes as she was being defensive about the situation. He had been rather good at overthinking things but surely this wasn't one of those things, the Ravenclaw had the right to be confused about it since the two of them had been dating for almost a year now. He continued to listen to Rose and thought that her explanation made a lot of sense. They were no longer the youngest students at the school, even if it still felt like that sometimes. In two years from now they would graduate and leave the school for good - he could not believe how fast everything was going now. ''I'm sorry, too,'' Charlie replied. ''I guess I was... just overthinking things again. I should've just asked about it without being all confused.'' The Ravenclaw frowned at what she said next, only now realising that what he had told her moments ago might have sound as if he wanted to break up with the girl. Charlie leaned forward and kissed Rose on the lips. ''Of course, I still want to date and stuff.'' He said, pulling away from the kiss and looking at her. ''I'd be mad if I didn't.'' the boy added with a slight grin.

So far things with Charlie had gone pretty smoothly, so hitting this bump in the road, however small, made Rose uncomfortable. She kept fidgeting with the rose in her hair, her stomach fluttering unpleasantly. "It's okay. I get why you were confused." Rose said with a small sigh. "I'm... not good at anything serious." She said with a small shrug. "It's why my note was a joke too, I just don't know what else to say." Usually, she thought Charlie liked her joking outlook in life and her casual way with words, but maybe now she had taken things too lightly. Rose was relieved when Charlie seemed to be feeling okay about it and was glad he kissed her and told her he still wanted to date, but a small part of her was still troubled. She gave him a nervous smile and took his hand, deciding on one last apology. "Look, I know I can be a little immature at times." She said, hoping he wouldn't interrupt her to contradict her about this. "I didn't mean to hurt you, but I did and I'm glad you told me okay? If I do something else in the future, just let me know again." She sighed. Sometimes, she really did feel like she wasn't smart enough for Charlie. Even though she knew she was his first girlfriend, he just seemed to have a better grasp on what it was like to date someone. There were so many invisible rules around, and just like with chess, he simply seemed to know them better.

She took his hands and he looked down at them, listening attentively as she apologised a second time. He wanted to interrupt Rose, saying that she hadn't been immature at all with her note but something told him that perhaps now was not the time to do so, so continued to listen to his girlfriend. Charlie did not mind that she could be a little immature at times, on the contrary, it had actually helped him loosen up around her and stop being such a stickler for the rules. If she was apologising for being a little immature then perhaps he should apologise as well for being so serious a lot of the time. But those things made them a good fit for each other, at least that's what his father told him. Rose hadn't hurt him, it had just confused him. A lot. But he came to the conclusion that the reason why he was confused was that he was overthinking the situation, as he usually did. He did appreciate that she told him to just let her know whenever this would happen again, and he nodded to let her know that he would do so. Charlie looked back up at Rose, biting his lower lip and thinking about a response. ''I like that you can be a little immature. I also like that I can take things perhaps a bit too serious at times. And I think that's why I like you, you know.'' He wasn't sure if that made any sense but frankly did not care about it. ''I love you, Rose.'' the Ravenclaw said, smiling at the girl and not yet realising that this was the first time he actually said it out loud to his girlfriend. ''Let's forget about this for now and go dance, eh? I hear a really good song playing inside.'' Charlie said, grinning slightly.

Rose was glad things seemed to be smoothing over, and she was proud of herself for explaining her thoughts to Charlie. Maybe this had been a good thing for them, it had certainly made it more clear what their differences were, and in what way they could work together. She definitely wouldn't send him the wrong rose again, but maybe if she made some other mistake Charlie would understand it better. Rose smiled when he said he liked that she could be immature, and she was just about to say she liked that he was too serious sometimes. But before she could say that, Charlie said something else that made the words die on her tongue. Rose stared at him for a long moment, though he didn't even seem to have noticed what he said. But Rose did, and she was sure her stunned silence would make him notice it too. Too late, she realized she should say it back. But could she? She really liked him, but could she use a big word like that so casually? What if it wasn't the right time? What if she messed up more? But now she was messing up by being quiet! Panicked, Rose looked away from him, her heart racing. "I...." But she knew that she had already ruined the moment. Even if she said it now, he would know she had hesitated and been unsure. "Um, let's dance in a bit, I should check up on my sister first. She's only a firstie, she could be in some sort of trouble..." It was the weakest excuse ever, and she knew it. But she had absolutely no idea what to do now. Charlie was such a good boyfriend, and here she was, ruining it all again. She stepped back, starting to move away from him. Maybe she wouldn't have to see the disappointment on his face if she hurried. The stupid thing was that she was sure now that she should have said it, that she would have meant it. But now she didn't think it would still sound sincere. She needed to talk to someone, anyone, for advice.

It was once Rose didn't say anything that Charlie realised what he had just told her. And like her, Charlie didn't know what to say or what to do, he just stood there staring at the ground. His heart racing and mind on the verge of exploding with all the thoughts running through his head. Should he not have told her that he loved her? Would they be making their way inside the Great Hall if he had just shut up? He didn't think that right here, right now was the perfect moment to say it but it just... happened. Another worrying thought was that she didn't say it back to him. Of course she did not have to if she did not feel that way about him, yet, but he kind of expected Rose to say it back to him for some reason. Was it too late for him to take it back, or would that just make things worse? Why did he listen to his father and his stupid advice on love anyway? It had been ages ago since the man last dated someone. Urgh! And now Rose was moving away for him with the excuse of checking up on her sister first before they should go in and join the other students on the dance floor. He looked back up at the girl. ''We... We can check up on your sister together?'' the Ravenclaw asked, though didn't think that she would let him join her now. He remained silent after that to keep himself from screwing this up even more, even though it already felt like he had screwed up big time. Why did this have to be so complicated!

The panicked feeling Rose was feeling wasn't going away. It only intensified until she had the urge to run away. Charlie was clearly at a loss for words, and clearly just as uncertain as she was. She could see he was shocked, surprised, and maybe... disappointed. Well, of course he was disappointed. She had freaked out instead of saying it back, and then she hadn't even told him she was freaking out but instead come up with some stupid excuse. The Gryffindor faltered when he went along with it, asking if he could check up on her sister together. He must know she had made up the excuse, was it his way of telling her it was okay? Maybe it was his way of calling her out on her lie instead. She really couldn't tell anymore. "I..." She said uncertainly, not wanting to hurt him more but also not wanting to prolong the awkwardness. But lying wasn't her strong point, so instead she blurted out the truth. "I ruined the night." She said in a rush, taking another step back. "I.. I'm sorry." Her voice broke on the word and she turned and hurried away from him, feeling tears stinging in her eyes. She knew she had to talk to someone for advice, for a way to fix this, and the perfect person came to her as she dodged around a happy couple. Grace was at school, and she always knew what to do. Rose would just have to find her cousin and explain the entire situation, and she would help her find the perfect solution. Her heart twisted as she thought about Charlie left behind on his own, but she was at a loss for what to do.

Charlie remained silent after she left him in the entrance hall and stood there still looking at the spot she had been standing moments earlier. His hands in his pockets, the teen thought back at what she blurted out right before she hurried away from him. She hadn't ruined the night at all. It was him who had ruined it by telling Rose that he loved her. He wondered what would have happened instead if he hadn't said it and in his mind could see them happily dancing to that good song that had been playing inside a couple of minutes ago. Biting the insides of his cheeks, the teen realised that they had not been alone in the entrance hall but that there were a bunch of students standing there as well with their friends. He looked around and caught some of them staring at him and whispering. Great. Embarrassed and a little angered that people weren't minding their own business, the Ravenclaw looked at one couple in particular and said, ''What?!'' finding it really annoying to have people staring at him at the moment. There was no point in going to the dance now that he didn't have his date to dance with anymore, so made way up the stairs and back to the Ravenclaw common room, loosening his tie while doing so.

Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back