Alternate RP Complexities of Life

This is a roleplay outside of the site's canon.
Corvin blushed and looked away, biting his lip. "It's okay, you don't have to," He tried to placate his twin, stepping closer into Cory's side. He listened to his brother talking about everything, frowning as his brother mentioned missing Christmas. "Oh, that reminds me." Corvin reached into his pocket and pulled out a small wrapped box. He had a bunch of others at home on Cory's bed. He offered the little box out to his brother, with its silver bow and blue wrapping. "I got this for you," He murmured. It was a small silver pendant of Cory's favorite animal.

Corentin decided he would still speak to them but wouldn't maybe mention it to Corvin. He took the present and began wearing it whenever he could. But time passed, and he grew older. His parent's letters to him were odd, constantly mentioning things that didn't matter, rarely mentioning anything positive and always left Corentin feeling like he was a bad son for remaining at his education in russia when they had arranged it. In the end, he'd told this to one of his school friends, the girl who'd been around him since the beginning and she'd invited him to her for the break. Cory had sent a quick note to his parents and a separate one to his twin, in which he lied about having gotten the opportunity to spend more time on the magical sport over the break. Not wanting to admit that in part it was because he didn't particularly want to come home. He made sure to send a gift to Corvin, a little pendant like the one he'd been given with a rune, one of protection.

Corvin missed Cory more and more the longer they were apart. He'd started doing work wherever he could find it, mostly gardening and caring for the lawns of every house on the street, just so he could buy plane tickets so Cory could come home for Christmas. Corvin had just returned home, covered in dirt. He walked into their room- he knew it was a bit neglected, he'd been so busy he hadn't had time to pick up properly in a little while.

Corvin lit up as he saw the note and the little gift box on the desk, not hearing his parents coming up the hall as he rushed for the paper and picked it up. His smile faltered as he read over the words, his heart twisting and dropping through the floor, almost as if someone had snipped his heartstrings and his heart had just gone free falling without him.

Corvin melted into the chair, one hand covering his mouth as he tried to process the disappointment and hurt. He should be proud, right? Cory was going to a sports camp or something, that was great! Cory could spend time doing something he loved and was probably good at. Before Corvin could process his emotions, his mothers voice broke into his thoughts, commenting that she wouldn't want to come home either if this was what her room looked like. Before he could respond, she had left, and tears sprang into Corvins eyes. Was this his fault? Was he not doing enough?

Corvin almost forgot the gift, spending the next three days deep cleaning the entire house. He barely slept or ate, he was so focused on making the house and yard so spotless it looked like an ad for a commercial strength cleaner. Eventually, he trudged back to his room, exhausted.

It was then that he remembered the gift, and he couldn't help but smile warmly as he opened it. Corvin made sure to always wear the pendant after that, always having it either on him or close by. Corvin spent all of his free time working, maintaining the yards in the neighborhood and setting the money he made into a bit of a trust fund for Corentin. When he wasn't working or studying for school, he was cleaning the house, or taking cooking classes at the local community center.

Still, it never seemed to be enough for his parents. The passive comments never seemed to stop, dismissing anything he did and comparing him to his brothers' successes. Corvin tried to ignore it, but the more that time went on without his brother with him, the further and further apart they seemed. Corentin was perfect. He was strong, intelligent, handsome, talented. And Corvin... well, Corvin wasn't.

Corentin remained in Russia as his school progressed, his letters home got shorter and less frequent, the ones from his parents were factual in nature and the response almost always thrown in the nearest fire without a second glance. He didn't understand why they seemed so bitter in their letters about him being away, when they had been the ones to send him away. Corentin was therefore surprised to receive the letter, when he was just shy of seventeen that his parents had passed. He had used his girlfriend's family portkey to be able to travel back without having to go to the airport. He turned up the day before the funeral, having not wanted to spend a moment longer at the house than he needed to. He was nervous about see Corvin. It had been years since they'd last seen each other. Corentin in that time had grown tall, he'd filled out while remain a touch lean. He wore a suit that his girlfriend had bought for him, he wore the necklace from Corvin as well as a few rings. He was pale from the lack of sunlight, his hair kept short and the beginnings of a teen beard. He held himself tall even though he didn't feel like it. Corentin knocked on the door of his old family home, waiting for Corvin to answer.

Life had been... difficult for Corvin. He'd struggled in school, but had spent countless nights staying up into the wee hours of the morning trying to study. His grades had been nearly perfect, but he couldn't help but feel like it wasn't enough. He'd grown a lot since Cory had left. His hair was long and shaggy, his clothes were almost too big on him. Corvin had struggled to really eat anything for years, leaving him scrawny. He had grown even more timid as he'd grown older. The constant apathy of his parents had worn him down. He felt like they blamed him for Cory's absence, and honestly, Corvin blamed himself, too. If he had been a better brother, been stronger, smarter, maybe Cory would have come home.

Corvin had been taking care of his parents for the last few years, struggling to balance his home and school life. He rarely slept more than a few hours, and he felt more like a shadow than a person. He missed Cory deeply, and wore the necklace his brother had given him almost constantly. Some days, Corvin felt like it was all he had left.

When their parents had finally passed, Corvin had sent a shaky letter to Cory to let him know, and then had almost immediately started cleaning the house. He'd deep cleaned every inch of it, until the entire house smelled of cleaner. It was damn near sparkling, and Corvin had spent the last few hours making a very complicated Russian meal his parents had insisted was Cory's favorite.

Corvin had been pacing restlessly for almost twenty minutes. Was he wrong? Was Cory not coming? Corvin wouldn't blame him. What would Cory have to return to? Him? Corvin stilled, his stomach twisting uncomfortably as he twisted his thin, boney hands. What if Cory didn't come back at all? Cory didn't need him. He'd left Corvin behind so long ago. His lip quivered, but before his watery eyes could spill over, there was a knock on the door.

Startled, Corvin fell back and tripped, landing hard on his rear. He scrambled up quickly, dashing for the door. For a moment, he struggled to open it, but eventually he managed to yank it out of the way. Corvin stood there a moment, forgetting to breath, before slowly reaching out a shaking hand to his brother. "C-cory?" His voice was small, shaky. He almost expected his hand to pass through his twin, thinking perhaps it was just a projection of his grief and longing for the person he longed for the most.

Corentin looked at the door as it opened and had to admit he was a little surprised by how Corvin looked. Had they been struggling financially? He hadn't been receiving money and hadn't come home so it wasn't like he'd been costing them. But it didn't really matter now, their parents were dead. He reached out and wrapped his arms around his brother in greeting, he'd always missed Corvin the most, he hadn't missed his parents but he'd missed his twin deeply, he shoudl've never agreed to go it had been silly. He wrapped his arms around him and held his brother tightly. The first tears over his parents finally escaping his eyes and he embraced his brother for the first time in too many years.

Corvin almost yelped when Cory pulled him into a hug, startled by the action. The grief he'd been holding in spilled over, and he burst into tears. Corvin buried his face in Cory's neck, sobbing, clinging to his brother tightly. "I-i-i," Corvin stuttered, struggling to speak through his tears. "I miss you so much," he managed, holding onto Cory so tightly his knuckles were white. He babbled his brothers name, trying to burrow impossibly closer. He didn't want to let go, suddenly terrified Corentin would vanish if he did.

Corentin could feel the waves of his own emotions, everything he had pushed down in the journey to here, the grief and distance that was now present. He held his brother tightly, not quite able to express his emotions as Corvin was doing but very much feeling the same way. He let the connection, the hold remain tight unwilling to let go himself, doing this until he felt he should probably step inside. He pulled away slightly, but kept a hand on Corvin. "Shall we go inside?" he asked motioning to the house, the place was no longer his home having lived in russia with his girlfriend and her family, a home that his parents had mostly cast him out of, even if they'd never said it.

Corvin nodded as his brother pulled back, taking Cory's hand and pulling him back inside. Corvin hesitated as they walked into the living room, hanging too close to his brother and not wanting to break the contact they had. Corvin lingered, trying to piece his thoughts together. "I-i-i-i, um, I- I've been c-cleaning the house for- um, f-f-for days," Corvin pushed out, hating the way he stuttered but unable to force the words from his lips otherwise. "A-a-and I- I made um, y-y-your f-favorite dinner," He offered gently. "M-mom- um, mom and dad, t-t-t-they- they told me- um, they s-s-said- always said it w-was... my fault," His tears welled up again and his grip tightened on his brother.

"I-i-i'm... I'm really sorry," He managed, looking to his brother with all the years of hurt and loneliness and regret in his eyes. "I-I'll be- b-better, I can, I'll do b-better, you d-don't- um, you don't h-h-have to go again," He pleaded gently. Corvin was terrified if Cory walked out the door again he would never return.

When Corentin pulled away he let Corvin take his hand, but once they got to the living room, started to let go. They weren't children anymore, they didn't need to hold hands. He watched his brother push through a sentence and couldn't mind his stutter being so bad, but he himself didn't feel too good about anything, their parents dying was just bad. He frowned at the last words. "What are you talking about? I never came back because they didn't want me here," he told him with a confused expression, tripping up over the unfamiliar english words. "They sent me away, and then had the aduacity in every letter to complain to say I was a bad son for doing what they said, their letters were always negative," he said, and he knew that he'd confirm corvin's worst fears, "And I'm sorry Corvin, but after the funeral, I'm going back to Russia, my girlfriend, and my education, I have to finish it. But it's not because of you that'll leave, there's just nothing here for me,"

Corvins brow furrowed at Corys words, and he quickly shook his head. "What? I-i-i- n-no, they- they always, um- a-always told me, er, that you w-wouldn't, um, wouldn't come back b-because-" Corvin couldn't help the tears that sprung back to his eyes. "I-i-it... they said it w-was my fault," He pushed out. "Y-you didn't... didn't come back- because of me?" He tried to sound sure, but it came out more like a question.

His heart sunk to the soles of his feet when Cory spoke again, and unthinkingly Corvin took a small step back. "Nothing?" He asked, his voice very small. He hadn't known what to expect, but he felt utterly defeated. He looked down at his bare feet. "A-are... are you leaving m-me... behind again?" He managed, very quietly. Corvin should have expected as much. Corentin didn't need him anymore. Corvin sniffled. He didn't know what he was supposed to do now. He just felt alone, and lost, and very, very small.

Corentin gave a roll of his eyes thinking of his now dead parents and how awful they had turned out to be. He didn't get it either, they had been so eager for him to go away and loved them both so much and suddenly, he'd followed what they'd wanted and they'd done a 180. He couldn't believe they would act like that, be like that and now they were gone, and he knew it had effected Corvin a lot. "You're my brother, why would I not want to see you," he told him plainly but he shrugged at the statement. "We have our own lives, I've settled in Russia, I have a girlfriend, important exams, friends, a job possibly," Corentin said. There was not much he could say, "I don't have anything here, and me being away doesn't stop us being brothers, but....my life is in Russia," he told him. he felt bad for saying all of it, but it was the truth of the matter.

Corvin's heart twisted in his chest. He wasn't sure what he had been expecting. He sighed, folding his arms over his chest. "You have a life," He corrected quietly. "I-i... they pulled me out of... of school. I just... take c-care of... the house," he motioned vaguely. "N-no... no one needs me," He rubbed his arm. Corvin realized he'd been wanting Cory to come home, to give him a purpose, some sort of reason. Some kind of support. But with a sinking feeling he realized Cory would most likely not have time for him. "I-i-i... I made dinner," He motioned vaguely. "C-can we... um... can we j-just... eat a bit... a-and um... talk?" He asked, peeking up to his brother.

Corentin frowned at him, "Well, they shouldn't have done that, you should've told them, told someone," he countered, he hated that as Corvin spoke that in the midst of everything else, he was being blamed for this, he was sure that Corvin didn't mean it like that but it was how it felt. They were still kids but Corentin had had to grow up at school and alone in a new country and Corvin alone with his parents. "Corvin don't," he said, "No one needs anyone, you have to rely on yourself," he told him, since he had had to rely on himself, he had a bit of help now with his girlfriend, but that was only recently. "Just....you should've told me what was happenning, you're my brother and you didn't think I'd want to hear about how mum and dad were sh1t," he said. he waved his hands, knowing that if there any been any doubt in his heart about remaining in New Zealand was gone. "Let's just eat then," he said with a shrug.

Corvin walked into the kitchen, moving to serve them dinner. He set the plates on the table, and sighed. "Cory?" He spoke softly, then looked up to his brother. "I... I'm sorry... I d-don't know, um... know w-why... I'm just..." He sighed, sitting and rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't r-r-really know, um... know what to d-d-do now," He managed slowly. "I-i-i-i... don't want t-t-to stay, um... stay here," He poked at his food. "B-b-but I... I don't... know if, um... if I should... go with you." Corvin sighed, looking to his brother. "I'm just... I'm scared, Corentin," He admitted softly.

Corentin couldn't help how he felt immediately bad about all he had said. He was right, but it wasn't like he'd been here, he couldn't know what it was like and couldn't now do anything to change it. He frowned a little at Corvin's ask. It made logical sense in a way. If he wasn't intending to come back to New Zealand then his brother could follow him to Russia but the problem was he didn't have a house, he didn't have money and what would his brother do. he didn't know if Corvin had been keeping up with his russian. "What would you do in Russia Corvin? I'm still at school most of the year? I wouldn't be there," he said, "At least not for another year," he sighed. "It's okay to be scared, but we're basically adults now and we don't need parents at all, we can manage ourselves," he didn't want to outright say no, but there was nothing for his brother in Russia, just as there was nothing for him here. "They've left us money right...and the house?"

Cory sighed, feeling dejected despite having already known there was no room for him in Russia. Unthinkingly, Corvin reached up, taking hold of the charm around his neck and rubbing it gently between his fingers. "I'm still- um, s-still fluent, in um- Russian," he offered, though he knew it didn't matter. He bit his lip. "Um, y-yes," he agreed, nodding at Cory's question. "I... we could... sell the, um, the house?" He offered gently, biting his lip a little harder. He knew there was nothing for him here. "I... I do landscaping, um, i-i-in the neighborhood," He spoke slowly. "I-i-i-i, um... I... used to... think of, um, of opening a f-f-f-flower shop," He stuttered, before wincing and looking away. "F-f-father... said it was, um... a s-stupid idea," He grimaced.

As Corvin explained what he could do, that he did some landscaping and flowers. "He was an idiot, our father," Corentin said to him firmly. "You should do it, and remain here in New Zealand, if you've already got some potential clients in this area, that would be a good client base. You can have the money I would've been owed from the house sale. YOu can have all of it, I don't need it," he told him. He just wanted his brother to be set up. He had prospects and chances in RUssia, so he would be fine, but Corvin might not be and that might help him out quite a bit. He didn't mind that being the case either.

Corvin bit his lip, considering what the man said, nodding slowly. "I... alright," he agreed softly. "I-is there, um, there a-a-anything you want, ah, want f-f-f-from the house?" He asked, poking at his food. Corvin was still a sucker for his brother- doing anything Cory told him to. Carefully, Corvin offered out his hand. "W-w-will, um... will you come back?" He asked softly. "I-i-i-i, um... my Russian is, um, is still g-g-good, I can c-come visit too?" He offered gently. He didn't want to lose Corentin again.

Corentin glanced around himself at the house and shook his head. He reached to his neck and pulled out the charm that Corvin had got him. "I've got everything I would need," Corentin told him. He nodded at it. "Yes, I'll come back, my work when I start will have me travelling, so I'll come back as often as I can," He wouldn't say it for certain, he would not promise but he would assure him. "Come let's just eat,"

Corvin relaxed visibly at Cory's words. He could do that. The fact that his brother would come back to see him was enough for him. He smiled shyly and turned his attention to the food.

Time seemed to pass quickly after that. Cory stayed the night with Corvin, then left again for Russia the next day. They'd stayed up most of the night talking, before falling asleep in the early hours of the morning. They'd gone to the funeral the next day, then Corvin had seen his brother off again. The house sold a few months later, and Corvin used the money to buy a two story building. He used the rest of his inheritance to remodel the building, turning the ground floor into a storefront and the upper floor into a two bedroom apartment.

Within a month he'd gotten the flower shop up and running. It wasn't the most popular business in town, but Corvin did well enough on his own that he could pay his bills. He settled quickly into his new life. He settled into a routine, and before he knew it ten years had passed. Corvin hadn't seen his brother since their parents death. If he let himself linger on it, he would get upset. Not being invited to his brothers wedding had really hurt. But time went on, and eventually Corvin just settled into his solitude. Perhaps he deserved to be alone.

So, of course, it was a bit of a surprise when he heard a frantic knocking on his front door. Bleary eyed, Corvin peeked at the bedside clock. Who would be here at three in the morning? Yawning, Corvin got out of bed. His hair a mess, he slipped into a robe and slippers, and holding the robe closed with an arm around his torso, he padded downstairs and opened the door, still blinking sleep from his eyes.

Last edited:
Life had changed a lot for Corentin in the years between his parent's death and now. He was twenty-six and hadn't been back in ten years or so. He had been working with his wife's father's company, working himself to the bone to try and be worthy of anything from him, though it had never been enough. He'd been distant from his wife and then his son who had been born not a year before. But his wife had died, been dead less than a month, and the family had turned on him so quickly. His father-in-law who had always disliked his muggle background had been quick to cast him out. Take the home he and his wife had shared, fire and leave him with nothing. He'd tried his child, and with nothing else left, Corentin hadn't let that be the case. He'd let him take everything else, but left with the child. He had no where to go, apart from his brother. He'd kept in occasional contact but admittedly hadn't seen him in all of the years since their parents. He felt bad, it was early, and were it not for Amais' crying he would've just waited until a morning hour. He knocked frantically, knowing that even with his quietning spell, it would not keep his son's screaming quiet for long. The door swung open and he was greeted by the familiar sight of his brother.

"Corvin, I know it's been a while, that it's late, but we've no where else to go, and my son...please can we come in?" Corentin's english was heavily accented, he'd not spoken a word of it in ten years, he couldn't help the accent on it. His son was held on his hip, the boys tearfilled, snot filled face leaning against his shoulder. Corentin had wrapped him in a blanket but the toddler was visibly cold and his big eyes were visibly exhausted. Corentin was holding him an arm keeping him on his hip and the other, gently trying to soothe him.

Corvin was a bit taken aback to find his brother standing on the doorstep with a crying child. Corvin yawned, and in very soft Russian, he replied. "Of course, you have a room already." Corvin reached out, gently taking the boy from his brother. Corvin held the child, padding back upstairs. He walked to the spare room, laying the boy in bed and tucking him in. Corvin rubbed his back, and as the boy warmed up, he settled, and soon he was fast asleep. Corvin yawned again, rubbing his eyes, and padded out into the hall with his brother. "Do you want something to drink?" Corvin asked, his voice very quiet. "You can take my bed if you'd like, the couch is comfortable enough."

Corentin was surprised with how easily Corvin seemed to take him and his son in. He allowed Corvin to take his son, casting the non-verbal warming charm on him as he walked away with him. He followed Corvin up to the bedroom for his son. He hmmed lightly as Corvin was helping his son to sleep. It had a been a difficult few days for him, and hopefully a warm bed would allowed him to sleep easily. He followed him out the room once he was asleep. "Let's get a drink first," he said with a sigh, "It's been a long few days," he needed just a bit to drink and then he could sleep. "But it's fine, I'll take the couch," he said.

Corvin nodded, walking to his small kitchen and taking out a few glasses. "Liquor or coffee?" He asked. "I h-have some, um, some cocoa," He poured them both the drink his brother chose, before moving to sit them on the table. "You've been through e-e-enough, just um, just take the bed." Corvin yawned, so tired his stutter wasn't as severe. He cradled his cup, looking over to his twin. "What happened, Cory?" Corvin asked gently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back