Alternate RP Complexities of Life

This is a roleplay outside of the site's canon.

Corentin Driscoll

father; masquerades; adrift

OOC First Name
emzies
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Widow
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Wand
Straight 13 1/2" Sturdy Fir Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
This thread will be short snapshots of Corentin and Corvin's life up until they're 26.

Corentin loved playing outside, he was newly nine years old and the sun was shining. He loved playing with his brother int he garden. He loved being in the garden, especially when the sun was out. Who didn't. He couldn't imagine staying indoors, though he did like being around his parents but he could see his dad watching him vaguely from the window. Cory waved excitedly to him and then turned back to Corvin who was playing near him. "Shall we make a mud pie or maybe play some rugby?" he had a high pitched and excited tone, a broad kiwi accent and an excited smile. He had technically decided the last game they played so it was technically Corvin's turn to pick something but Cory was always the first between them to suggest anything. He waited to see what his brother might say.

Corvin loved playing games with his brother. He liked the flowers in the garden, and he was busy looking through them when he heard Cory speak. He looked up excitedly. "Let's make pies! You always win rugby," He told him brother, moving over to a mud patch and sitting down. "We can make grass sprinkles," He nodded seriously. "How many should we make?" He asked, curious as he started forming his first pie.

Corentin smiled and nodded eagerly in agreement. He knew that he tended to win the rugby games but he tried to avoid it. Tried to be nice about it. Tried to let Corvin win but he was just quicker at sports. That was just what he was good at. Maths and sports. That's what his teachers always said. "Okay, let's make four, one for each of us," he suggested. "Do you think mum is still mad about that dish I broke?" he asked leaning in to whisper quietly. He hadn't meant to break the dish and even wasn't sure how he'd managed it. It had been in his hand and he'd gotten annoyed and suddenyly the dish had smashed apart. It was odd, but not the first odd thing that had happened with Corentin, the first of a few since he'd turned eight.

Corvin smiled as Cory agreed, reaching out for his brothers hand. "That sounds like a great idea, lets go," Corvin walked over to the mud patch in the back yard and sat in it. He looked up to his brother with wide eyes and shook his head. "Of course not! It was an accident! And it was just a plate, she won't still be mad at you," He reassured his twin, before setting to work and building his mud pies. He hadn't even finished the first one when an owl flew over his head, He let out a startled cry and jumped forward, falling to the ground and getting a face full of mud. He pushed up, startled, trying to wipe the mud out of his face.

Corentin was mostly reassured by Corvin. Corvin wouldn't lie to him, and wouldn't just say things to make him feel better. Of course not. So he believe him, just perhaps wasn't certain himself. He let the thought slide and just focused on playing. He spotted the owl just because it startled Corvin and watched it with fascination. "Owls aren't usually out in the middle of the day...that was cool," he said before approaching his twin to help him stand back up. He offered him an unused but crumbled up and not very together paper handkey so he could at least try to clean himself up. "You okay?"

Corvin was too busy getting the mud out of his eyes to think about how cool seeing the owl was. He'd only glimpsed it anyway. "Will you help me to the kitchen?" He asked. "I think I need to wash my face." He pouted, taking the offered hankie to try and get a bit more of the mud out of his face. He stood slowly, wobbling a little and sneezing, leaving a string of muddy snot on his chin. "Oh, ewwwww," He groaned. "Corryyyy," He whined, blindly trying to feel for his brother.

Corentin nodded, "Okay Corv," he said, he watched him try to use the hankie, but yeah, admittedly it wasn't going to do much. He laughed a little as his brother sneezed, and it was fairly gross. He reached out and took his brother's arm, guiding him to be supported by him. He rolled down his sleeve. "Hold steady, I'll get rid of the snot," and he used his sleeve to wipe it away before wiping the sleeve on his trousers. He guided Corvin back to the house. "DAD! Corvin fell in the mud!" he yelled out, so at least a parent would know why they were trapsing in mud into the house.

A few years had passed since they'd seen the owl, and the twins were in the middle of a party. It wasn't their birthday, but because of their good grades at school their parents had agreed to have a bunch of the twins friends over. Mostly they were Cory's friends. But still, Corvin was having fun, shadowing his brother a bit as they all played games. They were in the middle of watching the new transformers movie when their parents came in, taking Cory away to talk. Corvin tried to get up and go with them, but they wouldn't let him. He was gone for most of the party, leaving Corvin to worry and fret.

That night, he lay in bed, staring up at the wall with an uneasy feeling in his gut. He slept in the bottom bunk, Cory the top. Eventually, Corvin crawled out of bed, standing on the edge of his bed to peek over the bars into Cory's bed. "Cory? Can I come up?" He asked softly in case his brother was sleeping.

Last edited:
Corentin's whole life had just shifted in path. He had known for a while that something was off about him, that he wasn't like his brother or his parents, odd things happened around him, and it was more and more difficult to deny that they weren't due to something about him, even if no one, until now, knew what. Corentin had been enjoying the party, hanging out with friends and his brother, but Corentin had been fetched by his mother, and an oddly dress man had been at the door. As it turned out, he had magic..he was magical. Corentin hadn't believed it at first, but then the man had done magic, then he had asked about the unexplainable things he'd done.

After that there had just been so many questions about the who and what. His mother had spoken up during this, and asked if there were other magical schools he could go to, and when the man had listed russia in amongst them, Corentin had seen that spark. Their mother had left russia behind, but there was still a desire to keep it a little. The magical man had left for a moment and then returned with the confirmation for his new school and the information his parents needed. All Cory could think about was that he was going to need to learn more russian. He'd asked about Corvin, but it seemed it was just him, but at the very least he could tell him.

Corentin hadn't gone back to the party, too stunned about all of it, and too worried about what having to go to school in Russia of all places would mean. He'd never been away from home more than a night and he was going to be thousands of miles away for a whole year. he was curled up on his bed facing the wall. He heard Corvin's question and nodded. "Yeah," he replied softly. He was going to need to tell him...his parents would do it poorly and it need to come from him.

Corvin smiled as Cory spoke, and without bothering to respond he climbed up into the bed and crawled over, getting under the blankets and laying down next to his brother. "Cory?" Corvin whispered, reaching out to touch his brothers shoulder. "What's wrong?" He asked. He didn't need to know what had happened to know that something had happened. They were twins, after all, and he knew his brother better than anyone.

Corentin felt his touch and then turned in his bed to face him. "I'm going to Russia.....," he told him softly. He sighed. "You know how odd things keep happening around me?" Cory prompted, he would need to tell him. they were twins, there was no way he wasn't going to tell him. He just thought it was probably going to be rather disappointing to him too like it was for him. He hoped that he wouldn't be too jealous of it.

Corvin had thought of a lot of options, but Corentin leaving hadn't been one of them. His jaw dropped, and tears filled his eyes. He fought them back, wanting to let his brother finish before he broke down. He nodded, unable to speak past the lump in his throat. Cory was leaving. Without him. Corvin reached out, grabbing hold of his brothers sleeve tightly.

Corentin closed his eyes for a moment and let out a long breath. "I have magic...that's why things happen around me...some wizard appeared to invite me to this school to learn magic...," he told him. "Then mum asked if there was a russian school and then they were able to get my place at the russian school...so I can connect to her...old country...," he said speaking quickly. "So, I'm going to have to work on my russian and then come September I'll go to Russia, and....learn magic...," he barely took a breath as he spoke, since he knew this was both a good thing for him, to have this magic, but also be bad in that he would be away from his family, from his brother and it wasn't something he could share with him either.

Corvin's eyes widened and the color drained from his face as Cory explained what was going on. A million questions flooded through his mind. Magic was real? Why wasn't he magic? Could he still get magic? Maybe if he tried really hard he could find it. "I-i-i-i can um, can h-help you," He stuttered, trying to sound supportive, but it all became too much and he burst out in tears. He just started sobbing, and buried his face in the pillow to try and hide it at least a little.

Corentin watched Corvin, seeing how upset he was, and he couldn't be surprised when he started crying. Cory just reached out and put a hand on his brother's shoulders. He pushed down his own feelings about it. Shoving it all away, he couldn't afford to be upset, he couldn't be, if he was upset that would make Corvin more upset and it wouldn't change what he had to do. He just kept his hand there. "It's okay, I'll visit over the winter...and bring you stuff back from Russia," his voice was heavy with emotions but he refused to cry.

Corvin shook his head and shifted closer, burying his face in his brothers neck and crying. "I- I'm really going to miss you," he sobbed, trying to burrow into his brother, almost as if Corvin could just cuddle him into staying. "What's wrong with me?" Corvin managed, hiccupping and shaking. "I always knew you were better, smarter, just- better, but- am I really so messed up- I can't- I can't even-" Corvin sobbed. What was wrong with him?

Corentin didn't want to cry, but almost did. He stopped short as Corvin spoke of himself. He knew he was in part upset about it, but, he felt almost a little stung that Corvin was now making it about him. He shook it off and then shrugged, "I asked the wizard, but he said it isn't like that, magic just appears in some people and not in others," Corentin told him. "There's nothing either of us could've done, that wouldn't have had this outcome," Corentin didn't want Corvin to feel bad about not being magic, it had seemed fate had chosen this and there was no changing fate. "Let's just go to sleep. I'm real tired,"

Corvin couldn't fight the crushing feeling that he was losing his brother, and that it was all his fault. He sniffled, trying to calm himself down, and nodded, cuddling closer to Cory. He fell into a fitful sleep, waking up several times through the night and cuddling closer and closer each time.

Corvin slept in the top bunk with Cory every night after that, helping him study his Russian during the day and eventually helping him pack. Before he knew what was happening, it was time to go to the airport. Their parents had only been able to afford the ticket for Cory and their father to fly to meet the train that would take Cory away to school. Corvin was clinging tightly to his brothers arm as they walked into the airport, staying closer than he needed to and doing his best not to cry. "You're going to write to me, right?" Corvin asked, looking up to his brother through his shaggy bangs and biting his lip.

The next few months had passed all too quickly, he wasa glad to have Corvin there, helping get his russian up and spending time with him but all too soon he was heading away. He knew it would be a whole year or close enough to a whole year before he would see his brother again and after sharing a room with him for his entire life up until this moment he didn't know how he would manage. He sighed slightly and nodded. "Whenever I have a moment," he then reached out to wrap his arms around Corvin in a hug. He would allow himself this and then he would need to get going or he knew he'd never say goodbye.

Corvin bit his lip harder, hugging Cory tightly and burying his face in his brothers hair. Corvin didn't want to let go. He needed Cory. After that first night, Corvin had refused to cry, doing his best to ask as many questions and offer as much support as he could for his brother. Corvin tried to be strong, to keep a stiff upper lip, and be the best brother he could be. Eventually he pulled away, trying his hardest to smile and waving until his brother was out of sight. After that Corvin kept waving... and waving... before finally the tears started to fall. Corvin crumbled, crying hard enough that his mother had to carry him out of the airport. He clung to her, sobbing inconsolably into her neck. Part of him knew better, but Corvin couldn't help but feel like he had just lost him best friend in the entire world, forever.

Corentin had left for school after that hug, it had been a steep learning curve getting with the programme of magic he had to learn, but at least his russian was much more up to par. He managed to make some friends, even become very friendly with a small group of purebloods who accepted him in easily. Corentin had changed slightly, he was taller than when he left, had begun doing a lot of sports, was away from screens and other muggle distractions. He wore his hair shorter, with one of his friends cutting it far too short. He had worked exceedingly hard at all of the magic he had learned and wrote to home at a minimum once a week. Though it had been harder to do during the exam periods. It had been horrible to not come home for Christmas and instead spend it almost virtually alone at the school. But at least the huge amounts of snow had been nice. But finally, the year had ended, he had perfect grades and he was getting off the plane and after making his way through the airport, and through baggage collection with his heavy suitcase filled with a bunch of magical items, he walked out to the terminal and immediately spotted his brother. He rushed over to him, only letting go of the case right at him to immediately then wrap his arms around his twin and hold him in a tight hug. It was most difficult to be away from him and he couldn’t believe a year had passed.

Corvin had really had a terrible year. He missed his brother deeply. His absence had meant that the school bullies had started targeting Corvin again. Now alone, his grades had slipped, and while Corvin had taken on a lot of the household chores, his parents had done nothing but sing Cory's praises, always comparing Corvin to his twin. When the final report cards had been given, Corvin had been asked why he couldn't be more like his brother.

But in spite of it all, Corvin still loved his brother deeply. He had eagerly written to his brother every week. He knew he'd spent most of the letters gushing over Cory's schooling and focusing on his life in Russia. He'd kept up with a few of Cory's friends and passed on the school gossip to his brother. He had been on edge all morning, staring at the clock and running around the house trying to make sure everything was ready.

Finally, finally, it was time to get to the airport. Corvin was bouncing on his feet, standing on tiptoe and trying to see over the crowd. Eventually, he spotted the familiar features of his twin and shot forward, ducking and running through the airport until Corvin had slammed into his brother, hugging him tightly. Corvin didn't say a word, instead clinging to the other boy and hiding his face in his brothers neck.

Corvin eventually leaned back, looking at his brother. Cory was taller than him now, though only by a little bit, and Corvin couldn't help but reach up to touch his hair. It was shorter now, while Corvins was shaggy and almost to his shoulders, hiding his face and eyes. He could tell Cory was more muscular as well. Corvin was still soft, though lean. He couldn't help but smile shyly at his twin. "Hi," he whispered.

Corentin wrapped his arms around Corvin as soon as he could. He held him tightly, having not really realised untiil he was holding him how much he had missed his twin. He pulled away eventually and then looked at him. He wasn't sure why but as Corvin reached for his hair, he did the same for his brother's "I'm surprised mum and dad let you keep it this long," his english was a little jilted, he hadn't spoke it since he'd left. "I missed you, tell me everything,"

He smiled shyly as Cory touched his hair, sighing and leaning into the touch. "I don't think they're paying attention," He admitted softly. He looked to their parents, who were hanging back to give the boy space. "I really miss you," He told Cory softly, peeking back up at him. "I'm getting bullied at school. Mom and dad just... keep asking why I'm not more like you," He sighed and shook his head before scooting closer. "Let's just talk about you, tell me about school," He asked, reaching to lace his hand through his brothers.

Corentin wasn't particularly happy to hear about the fact that their parents weren't paying attention, that Corvin was being bullied and their parents were only comparing them. He frowned. "I'm going to speak to them Corvin, mum and dad can't spend the whole time I'm away comparing you to me, it's not fair," Corentin told him firmly. He couldn't believe it. he'd been sent away and his brother was being compared to him when there was nothing to compare. "School was good, made some friends, worked hard, was alone over christmas, let one of the girls in my class cut my hair," he summed up quickly, still annoyed and half glaring at his parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back