Color me curious

Saffron Ironsong

OOC First Name
Ana,na,na
Wand
Birch Wand 14 1/4 essence of dragonstone
Saffron was out in the garden again but this time she wasn't identifying plants no much as collecting them for her own records. She was half tempted to join the Wild Patch club but Saffron had never been much of a gardener. That was reserved for her cousin Cassandra. When she wasn't setting something ablaze that was. Saffron wondered as she plucked a toadstool that she was going to dry before pressing how her cousins where behaving for her mother. They would have gone with their own parents but they where helping out at home. Especially Cassandra's parents who where both Pyromancers. Saffron was sure whatever the pair threw at her mother the woman would be able to sort it out. She had after all taken care of seven before them. As Saffron's mind went into thoughts of her gentile but strict mother she found something rather odd for a garden. A locket with a ruby encrusted in the front and swirled patterns coming from the gem hidden among the nettle plants. She assumed that someone had been working among the plants and had lost it but it still held some curiosity to her.

Saffron sat on her legs and turned it over. There was no engraving giving a clue to what it was. She tried to open it but it wouldn't give. She tried to force it a bit harder only to 'bitten' by the locket. Saffron hissed and sucked on her finger while looking at the locket. She had a clue to what could be happening here but she needed to be sure. Saffron took out a small file like object from her book bag and started to slide into the opening grooves of the locket when her light was blocked by someone's shadow.

With his hands in his pockets, Daniel took a walk around the garden. He was curious, as he was never in this part of the castle. He didn't like it, not at all. Too much color, too much-.. cheerfulness. Rabbits and their decorations.. As if they're trying to hide away the fat and ugly truth, with a bunch of nice-looking flowers. Nevertheless, Daniel looked around. As much as he didn't like the scenery, he was curious in the same measure. After maybe a minute of walking, he saw the girl with the funny-colored hair messing about with something. He stood there for a second, looking at her, as the locket 'showed it's teeth.'

'What the heck. Might as well.', he thought to himself, as he started walking towards the girl. He didn't want to leave a bad impression, but he didn't really care, so he just went along with it. As he reached her from behind, he stood there silently, staring at what she's doing blankly.

"What'cha got there?"

The file pick, as expected, hissed and melted as soon as it touched the inside of the locket. Who ever it belonged to it certainly didn't want it open. She looked up at the boy that had spoken. "This. I found it among the nettle. Curious that it doesn't want to be opened." She said throwing it up and catching it in her hand. She strange yellow eyes scanned the boy that stood over her now from her spot on the ground. She tilted her head. He seemed normal but something about him made her internal danger bar twitch just a little bit. Her face was an emotionless mask though like always. "Who might you be then?" She asked in an attempt to try and make conversation something that she had been forced to do since she got here. She slipped the melted pick into her book bag and started to sort through the potions plants that she had gathered while waiting for the boy to answer.

Daniel smirked, shoving his hands deeper into his pockets, as he started walking around, aimlessly, yet still pretty close to the girl.

"Oh, you know-.. Just your random someone.", he answered. He didn't really feel like revealing too much about him, and the whole teasing aspect was quite appealing to him, so he decided to play it that way. He remained silent, for a couple of seconds, before standing still, and turning towards the girl. He observed her appearance, before speaking:

"Why do you want to open the lock so bad? It's merely a thing. Worthless."

Saffron followed the boy out of the corner of her eye while started to wrap the plants in papers that she had in her bag, each group carefully separate from the others. Slowly and inconspicuously she placed her wand next to her work space ready for whatever she may need it for. "It's a thing that has been closed by magic. I want to know what kind and for what reason. What could be in it that someone wanted to guard so fearcly. I also want to know the spell used so I can replicate it and keep somethings of my own closed in such a way. Information like that is vastly useful in the long run." She said. Her voice was flat almost bored drone. She kept her neat and ordered work until she reached the toad stool. She then stood up and stood in front of the boy.

"Like this. It's red with white spots on the top. If you read 1001 magical herbs and fungi get to know the effects of this particular mushroom. Or you can eat it find out that way but you can only do that couple of times before you bump into something truly nasty. Information and knowledge can mean the difference between life and death." She droned carelessly. Her wand was gone from the ground now and in her cloak pocket. The movement that she used to pick it up was so slight that it would have been nearly impossible to see. She held the mushroom out to the boy studying his reaction.

"It's a thing that has been closed by magic. I want to know what kind and for what reason. What could be in it that someone wanted to guard so fearcly. I also want to know the spell-......-blah blah blah.'

That's all he heard, really. He lost interest, but he nodded along, and smiled. He didn't really know if he was being polite, or just couldn't be bother to start an argument. But in the end, he gave in to the conversation, and soaked up some of it.

"So you want to break into something someone wanted to protect? Something someone might want later, and it could mean life and death. You're basically probablly killing someone like now.", he said, as he smirked, remaining in silence. After a couple of seconds, he spoke.

"I like it."

Saffron tucked the toodstool away turning from him. "Somehow I knew you would." Was all the young girl replied. She pulled up her hood though the sun was pail and the grounds chilled. "I remember you know, from sorting and a few classes. Crawford I believe is your sir name. Funny you read like something my father would study yet you're a student here." She said not caring if she was being polite at the moment. There was something about him, his eyes or his mannerisms that made her wonder why he had been admitted into the school in the first place. Not that Saffron cared really. She had her own agenda to worry about whether that been the best marks or doing some studying on other branches of magic. She put everything she was working with away having been done with it. "Care to walk with me? I believe I have come across a bigger enigma than the locket." She said slinging her bookbag over her shoulder.

"Right.. Crawford. Why do we even have names? That stuff's ridicilous.", he said, followed by a raised eyebrow, staring at Saffron. He saw something in her that he did not really like, something that compelled him. It was her hard-work, and her well-being. Stuff like that just can't be fu**ed with.

As she slinged her backpack, he smirked, answering to her question.

"Sure. Might aswell."

"My name's Saffron if makes any difference." She said as she started down the path down to castle, her steps light upon the earth even if her bag did add about ten pounds to her over all weight. "Ridiculous it maybe but I believe some sort of identification is necessary. Whether it be of a person, an essence or a corps." She answered to the complainant about names. Her own sirname had a bit of a history behind it but she doubted that he would ask. He seemed lost in his own head. Not in the same sense of other people who liked to daydream or liked to become engrossed in the work that they liked more like in the sense that there was a part of himself that he was fighting. Saffron decided that it was worth getting to know the boy if anything to keep his name in the back of her mind. "What brought you to the gardens? I know not everyone is into practical learning or learning in general for that matter." She said her head down so that her hood cast shadows over her face.

"Saffron", he whispered after she's said it, just to rememeber it for later. He walked with a smirk, and hands in his pockets. He was always confident, and always had everything in his control, so there's no problem. He just followed along, and played her little game. As she started explaining, he listened.

"Indetification? Definetly not something I've ever needed.." He remembered how his last name never meant anything to him. Both of his parents dead before he knew it, he didn't have an identity anymore. He was just one of the mining town four. Funny how things turned out. That one kid, the agressive one, the one to always pick a fight, to be a wizard. That's a heck of an achievement for someone who's slaughtered a ward of rabbits during the age of 8.

"What brought me here? Curiosity. Oh, well, there's this other reason aswell, but I'd rather keep it to myself, just for shits and giggles.", he grinned, as they walked.

Saffron kept her stride slow and steady, one foot in front of the other as if walking a line. It was just something she wanted to do now that her mind wasn't focused on the plants that she wanted to press and label. "Really? Would have though you like at least know who those hands itch to wrap around." She her eyes shifting to the side. She had finally pegged what she had been observing though it had taken her a while. Her eldest brother would have scoffed at how slow she was. Then again her eldest brother had also been a child prodigy with the mind of a super computer. She would at one point outstrip his achievements but for now she recognized that he was her superior.

A half smirk appeared on her stone like face. "You're funny." She commented to his need to keep the reason he was in the gardens a secret from her. As if to tease her curious nature though most that knew her knew that she in fact cared very little about people unless it suited her needs. Her room mates where a nice back up should anything go wrong, those that she talked to where because she had been in the same place at the same time and they thought it a good idea to talk to her. She kept one hand on the strap of her bag while the other was tucked in her cloak to keep it warm against the lingering winter chill.

Daniel kept walking in a slow, relaxed pace. His expressions were blanky, as he seemed to often doze off, not paying attention, but he was there, listening.

"Really? Would have though you like at least know who those hands itch to wrap around." Daniel just smirked, looking at her for second, before looking back to the path. He didn't comment. He thought a smirk was enough.

And then she said something that surprised him. "You're funny."

"Funny?!...-Well, that's the last thing I'd expect someone to say. Funny..". It was then when he completely dozed off, thinking about something that seemed important.

It was true. She had found found him funny. "Up to you in sense of the word I mean." The crazy part was showing now because she knew that she had lost his attention for the moment though she could only guess what he was thinking about. She took out the locket again studying carefully. Saffron decided that it was best to turn it into Professor Styx as a lost item, he was after all the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and would know what was keeping it locked tight. The trick would be talking him into telling her. Saffron decided that maybe another professor would be more understanding of her inquisitive nature. She kicked a stone out of her way which happened to roll in the direction of the boy she was currently talking to.

Daniel thought about a lot of things, but mostly about himself, and his 'true' self. As much as he wasn't paying attention, he was still very aware of their sourroundings. He took his hands out of his pockets, and took his cap off to fix his hair, before putting it back on.

That's when the rock landed in front of him. He had a feeling he should kick it, just to keep it rolling, but the other side of him told him not to. It made no sense to kick a rock around.

Just as his feet reached the rock, he kicked it. Not the way he expected it though. For some reason, he used full force, and the rock as sent flying, quite a long way off the path. Daniel shoved his hands back into his pockets, and smirked, as he let the cap make a shadow over his eyes.

"So-.. Where exactly are we going?"

Saffron followed the path of the rock with her eyes. At least the boy didn't trip on it. That told her more about him then talking did. He was able to be inside his own head while still being aware of some of his surroundings. A skill some of her room mates had yet to master. She wanted to hate her, she really did but the girl was too helpless, in Saffron's eyes, to really hate. "Back to the castle. You looked a bit uncomfortable in the school gardens even through there was a lot to learn." She said shifting her bag a bit. She herself would not have bothered with it had the garden been all flowers and glamour. To her nothing had merit unless it had a use. She had to be this way because her parents had taught her to be as such. This was the same reason she owned no muggle clothes. They served no function and wizarding clothes would work just as well.

"Yeah.. Not really into colors, and flowers, and happiness and all that bullshit..", he simply replied, as he looked around, not exactly focused on anything, just scanning the area. He thought he saw something out of the corner of his eyes, but that became normal to him. He's always been seeing the figures, and it wasn't bothering him anymore.

"Uhm.. So, besides risking someone's lifes by cracking open secret items, what do you do in free time?"

"Happiness is relative to who is present. For example I am most happy when I've got a book in my hands and learning something new. My cousin Cassandra is most happy when she's burning something down." She said. If she meant this as a complement to her cousin or an insult one would never tell because her voice never lost the flat if not somewhat bored drone that came natural to the young girl. "You can see my opinion on color." She said. Her forest green bangs dripped from her hood as if the fact that her cloak of black and silver was not enough of a marker of who was under it. "I learn, explore and every once in a while acknowledge that I'm not alone in any given room."

"About that cousin of yours... Does she burn something, or someone down.. Because that sounds rather interesting.", he replied, as he heard her mention her cousin.

As she talked, he mumbled something ocasionally, a word or two. It would seem as he was talking to himself, almost having an argument. But that wouldn't be noticable if you didn't give it a good listen and/or look.

Nevertheless, he replied once again. "I explore a lot myself-.. Again, out of a reason I refuse to share. Happiness isn't something I want or need, not something I would desire. I only find pleasure in one thing. And that is human su-.." He'd stop there, as it would seem he changed his mind on about if he would reveal the thing or not.

Daniel continued walking in silence.

Saffron looked to the side as she thought of her baby cousin. "She's seven years old so I don't think it quite matters to her at the moment. My mother is working with her on curving her passion for the flame." She explained. For someone like Cassandra it was necessary to adjust her behavior because she comes from a line that could lose control at the drop of a hat. Saffron through of her duties that where to come when her cousins came to Hogwarts. It would become her job to look after them when the time came. For now Saffron was alone with those she didn't know but so far she could not complain.

She noticed though she said nothing about his behavior. Crawford was her case study at the moment if anything else. "I know" was all she said on the respect of him enjoying what he was about to say. It took someone that was observant and half way trained into noticing the signs that he was displaying. For what reason Saffron had been worked with no noticing aspects of human behavior was something that she would never tell. For now if anyone asked she would just say that she had eyes and knew how to use them.

"Fair enough.", was all he said. He didn't want to question her further. As mentioned earlier, she was one of those people. They had that something in them, that flame, and he coudln't stand it. He wasn't in control, and he didn't like it.

"Say, ever had that feeling when you just wanted to grab a knife, and stab somebody? Out of no reason, just because you felt like it?"

It wasn't clear if he was joking, or if he was serious, because he was grinning from ear to ear the whole time.

Saffron's stride was lighter now though the change would take a particularly watchful person. She watched him out of the corner of her eye again, her yellow gaze piercing though somehow still somewhat flat. "In order for me to feel such a thing I would have to feel in the first place." She said simply. She could see the stone stares now but didn't change the relaxed and comfortable place that they where walking in.

"Oh, that's rather interesting. Anger and hatred run on feeling, it runs on emotion.. You don't happen to have such a thing-.. I like that. You see, I need people like that, people who can handle a lot of poop. Just stick around, okay?"

Daniel stopped, expecting her to stop aswell, as he looked around for a bit. He took his cap off, and ran his fingers through his hair, before putting it on again.

"Welp, I gotta run. Things to do, rabbits to slaughter. I'll see you around?"

"Before you go." She said as she put her hand in another half of her bag and took out a rather thick book. "I think you might like this. It's on the human autonomy. I'm finished with it and my father won't be expecting it back until the end of the semester. If anything you might like the pictures." She said handing the young Hufflepuff the book then turning towards the castle. With the softest rustle of her cloak she was gone, the comment about the rabbits seeming to fall on deaf ears.

Daniel grinned, as he took the boke, and commented on it. "Don't worry, I know where to cut. Much appriciated though."

He then stuffed it under his hand, and went on his way towards the Hufflepuff boys dorm. He thought he might cause some trouble there.

OOCOut of Character:
That was a fun roleplay. Looking forward to more ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back