Clearing the air...

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
It was the final weekend before exams and Bruin was finished with studying. In fact, he was finished with just about everything school related at the moment feeling more tired and unsure of stuff than ever before. To clear his head, Bruin had decided to throw on some comfortable muggle clothes and head down to the pitch with his knapsack and broom, unsure of whether he'd read under a tree in the warm sunshine after a quick flight around the pitch.

Bruin had entered his fourth year feeling on top of the world with success in school, a promising Quidditch team, a strong core group of friends, and a wealth of young and enthusiastic Gryffindors to help his house recapture the House Cup. Unfortunately, the year hadn't exactly gone as planned. Lessons had still gone alright, but some of them had seemed a bit of a chore and he'd had to work harder than ever while trying to get used to a new wand that still didn't exactly feel right despite its obvious power. Similarly, Gryffindor had risen to the challenge and appeared poised to be the first house to win a second House Championship, but even this didn't really seem to raise Bruin's spirits. It was the rest of the year's happening that were weighing on him

Bruin looked around the empty Quidditch Pitch and sighed. This should have been the place where his Gryffindor team showed their skills against the other houses. His team had worked hard at developing their individual talents and teamwork, but had found no competition from the other houses with which to test themselves and ultimately, the season came and went without a game being arranged. Bruin hoped that his teammates didn't lose their enthusiasm for the sport and that something could be done to establish a proper league next year.

As for next year, Bruin wondered what friends would remain at the school and how many would fail to return as had happened in other years. Bruin snorted a little at the thought of friends, wondering just how many he actually had after his fight at the Yule Ball and the virtual dissolution of the Brotherhood. Lots of people seemed comfortable talking to Bruin and he knew that there were lots of good people around, but he seemed to spend so much time on lessons and trying to solve the silly little problems that he got himself into that he rarely had time for fun with friends anymore. Maybe next year would be different he lamented as he tossed his knapsack on the ground and prepared to mount his broom.

As he did so, Bruin felt something in the pocket of his jeans and withdrew an envelope with familiar writing on it. The letter from Sophia that he had received the night in the owlery when he first began trying to deal with his wart problem lay unopened in his hand. He had promised Sophia that he would read it and reply, but here it was almost two weeks later and he hadn't even read it yet. Some friend I am, he thought to himself as he sat down on the grass and began to read.

Bruin,

Firstly I want to apologize for not writing to you sooner.  I received your apology, but was unsure as to how to respond.  The events that occurred at the Yule Ball hurt me very badly.  For some time I was bitter about what had happened to me and refused to believe that I had a hand in it.  However now I see that I was just as much, if not more, at fault.  I should not have led you on like I did, and most certainly not in front of Ford.  Your letter of apology was nice, but I did not deserve it.  I should be apologizing to you, so, now, I am.

I am sure that my avoiding you has done you no good, but I did not know what else to do.  As I imagine you have heard, Ford and I have gotten back together.  Despite everything I have put him through and all the times I have hurt him, Ford has taken me back.  I want to make Ford happy.  The past has taught me that I cannot make Ford happy with you so close by.

Do not misunderstand me, I love being your friend.  Your friendship is something I was led to believe I had never had in my life, and it helped me a lot.  I know about Shane.  I do not blame you for not telling me, it was not your secret to tell.  I was desperate to know and I was angry with you and myself and I am sorry.  Professor King removed the charm on my memory and now I am more conflicted than ever.  I know why it was so nice to be your friend, why I was so drawn to you.  You are very much like Shane, and now that I remember him, you remind me of him.

I would very much like to talk to you about Shane, but, I do not know how.  I am with Ford, and I want to make him happy and give him the relationship he has deserved from the start.  I am not sure if I can be your friend and be the best girlfriend I can be for Ford.  I would love to have both, but I do not yet know if it is possible.

Bruin, I am so, so very sorry for everything I have done.  The pain I have caused you is entirely my fault and I wish there was something I could do to fix it.  If there is ever anything I can do to repair the damage I have done, please let me know.  Anything that is within my power to do, I will do it for you, I promise.  You have been nothing but a good friend to me and I want to do that in return for you.

My sincerest apologies,
Sophia

Bruin stared at the letter for a few moments and then re-read it a second time to be certain of what it had said. It appeared that Sophia wasn't mad at him, but simply confused as to how and be a friend to Bruin and a girlfriend to Ford. It was true that it hadn't worked out well before and Bruin found himself thinking on what he could do to be a better friend to both Sophia and Ford. The past few months had not been fun, practically ignoring each other at every turn and Bruin knew that things would have to improve in this and other areas or there would be really no point in him returning to school. He tucked the note into his bag and jumped on his broom, hoping that some time flying would provide him with some inspiration into how to clear the air.[/color]

After circling the skies for a half hour or so, Bruin began to feel a little better about things and returned to the soft turf of the Quidditch Pitch. He tossed his broom down on the ground and rummaged through his knapsack for a pen and paper. Bruin found that he was resorting to his old muggle ways more and more frequently lately and was almost wavering on which world he would like to spend the remainder of his days in...the magical or the muggle...

He put pen to paper and jotted out a quick note.

Sophia,

Thank you for your letter and sorry for the long delay in responding.  This time of year is crazy and I have only just got back and caught up when I found your note.  I'm glad to hear that you know about Shane now, he seems like a real nice guy and I am really excited that you will hopefully get to know a family member who treats you well.

I noticed that you and Ford were back together and I hope that things work out for you.  You are both good people and I'm sorry that we've never figured out how to get along properly when the two of you are together.  Don't worry about any pain that you think you may have caused me...what's done is done and I'm a big boy, I can take care of myself. 

I'll be leaving to head home shortly after exams, but should be around for a day or two putting in a couple of shifts at Gladrags and stuff.  Let me know what your up to for the summer.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Your friend,

Bruin

Bruin folded the note up and then gathered up his stuff. He'd slip by the Owlery on his way back to Gryffindor and have Legend deliver the note to Sophia. Bruin was glad to be leaving soon and that the problems with Sophia had been resolved before he left for the break.[/color]

*** Later that afternoon ***

Bruin sprinted back to the Quidditch Pitch, realizing that he had left his broom laying in the grass. In his confusion earlier, Bruin had inadvertently grabbed his knapsack but left his Scarlet Streak behind. It had better be there! Bruin thought to himself, panicking a little. He had already broken a wand this year, losing a valuable broom, even one he'd put his own unique Marking Charm on was not the way he hoped to start his summer holidays.

A sense of relief flooded over him as he saw that his broom was still there, although he was startled as an owl swooped down on him just as he bent over to pick it up. Bruin took the note, gave the owl one of Legend's treats, asked for it to wait for a moment, and then opened the envelope.

Bruin,

I will be spending this summer as I spent my last and will spend the next two at Drage Herrogard.  Valcan has demanded that it be that way and he will not take no for an answer.  I am to be picked up immediately after the train arrives and will not be dropped off again until the train is to leave for school in September.  I saw last summer what running away will get me, and that is not something I plan on trying again.  I suppose you will be spending the summer with your family?  How are they?

I am also excited about Shane, but I am very nervous as well.  I have yet to contact him and am very unsure of what to do.  If my father finds out that I know about Shane things will not be pleasant, especially for Shane.  I do not want to cause him trouble, but I so want to see him again.  I am so conflicted.  Nothing seems like the right answer.

I would not call myself a good person.  Perhaps I used to be, before, but I am a Slytherin for a reason, as is Ford.  I will not fool myself into thinking anything different.  I truly believe that I deserve Ford, and he deserves me and my full attention.  If it were meant to be any other way, it would be.  The question now is, what becomes of us?  I have always enjoyed being your friend, even though it did not always seem like it.  The summer I spent with you was my happiest summer since I came to New Zealand, and I do not know if I am ready to give that up just yet.  Yet again I am conflicted.  It seems like nothing makes sense in my life right now.  Not my family, nor my friends, nor even myself.  I do not know if I can just ignore you to be with Ford.  I want to be with Ford, but I want you as my friend.  Is that so selfish?  Is it really not possible for us all three to get along harmoniously.

I know I said I was prepared to leave you alone, but I am not sure anymore.  I need to know what your thoughts and feelings are on the situation.  I would like to meet with you before I leave, but a letter will suffice if that is call you can give me.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Sophia

Bruin read the note quickly and pulled a pen and paper out of his knapsack. He quickly scrawled out the following.
Hey Sophia,

I don't know if there are any right answers to the questions you have.  Maybe it's just about making the best decisions under the circumstances.  I'm going to grab one final butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks after my shift at Gladrags.  I'll be there just after 8 tonight if you want to meet, although I understand if you can't.  If I don't see you, have as good a summer as possible and I'll see you in the fall.

Bruin

Bruin attached the note to the owl's leg and watched as it flew away. As difficult and strange as it sometimes was, Bruin still considered Sophia to be a friend and felt bad that she was so mixed up about things. Bruin had some questions of his own, but it had always easier for him to push his to the side and focus on someone elses. He checked his watch and realized how late it was getting. He was going to be a little late for work if he didn't hustle, so he mounted his broom and flew back up to the castle.
[/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back