Class Session is Over

Valerius Matthias gave a quick look to the clock and noticed that it was almost time to dismiss the students. Most were adults, and paid good money to be taught here at the college in the state of New York. Valerius hoped to teach in a private college one day, but for now, he enjoyed taking what he could get. "Well then, class dismissed. Remember, your papers are due next week. Be sure to read chapter fifteen as well." Valerius had been in this country for so long, it was a wonder that his Russian accent was barely detectable unless someone caught him off guard, talking about what he remembered of Russia. Valerius let out a sigh and took off his jacket, revealing a button up shirt and his tie. He loosened it, knowing that he did not have another class to teach after this. It was well into the evening, and he did not have anything to do but to grade. He had a few homework problems, and he was lucky that he had an assistant that helped him out. She was great in Chemistry, from what he understood. However, she was a mere muggle. A muggle could not clean like he could.

He lived as a muggle, but he often used his magic when no one was around to clean up the lab messes and to take care of things in a healthier way. After all, why use the drain for some chemicals when he can just make them vanish without having the worry of the sewer or something like that? Valerius looked over his paperwork before he looked to his assistant that was still around after class. "Hey, would you mind taking this and making some copies, enough for the class, before you leave? It would be appreciated." The young woman was gorgeous, but she was also a muggle, and a student of his class. Valerius refused to allow anyone like that inside of his life. He did not like muggles that much. He made sure to keep his muggle life and magical life separated. It worked out for the best. He was far away from his family as well. As the oldest, he should have settled down and had a family first, but he didn't seem to want anything more than his career. Troxa managed to find a girl, and have a baby. Valerius was an uncle again, with Terence being the first to have a son. But for now, he did have one love: chemistry.

Although Chemistry had always been a favorite subject of Fox's, today her might just wasn't grasping the concept of what the Professor was trying to teach the class today. "This all looks like nothing but spycode to me." Fox rubbed at her temples before she wrote down another section of notes that was thrown onto the board while she was attempting to understand what the hell this man was talking about. Before she even knew it, class was over with and they were dismissed with a warning of their papers that were due by next week, along with some reading. Fox sighed and took a glance down at her notes. As much as Fox hated to ask for help because Professor Matthias seemed to hold her in high regards with her grades and her brains, she knew that she'd only suffer later if she tried to pretend what was going on. Fox waited for most of the other students to clear the room before she gathered her books and headed towards the front of the room, where Professor Matthias' desk was located. Fox moved to open her mouth to ask him for help, but he cut her off by asking if she would make him copies.

Fox suddenly came up with a compromise. "I'll make you copies, but if it's not too much trouble, I need a little bit of help with what we went over today." Fox pulled out her notebook and flipped to the day's notes, just to prove that she had been paying attention rather than just slacking off. "I took some notes and tried my best, but I just didn't understand it. I'd rather get help now so I don't have an issue with the upcoming test." Although she was his assistant, Fox knew very little about the Professor other than the fact that he had a PhD in Chemistry and that he was Russian to some extent, his accent was unmistakable, Fox had a grandfather that had lived in Russia for years and he had the same exact accent. Fox excused herself for a moment and ran off to make some copies as requested. It took no more than twenty minutes, and when she returned she handed the neat stack of papers to the Professor and waited to see if he would agree to helping her not that she had done what he had asked of her.

Valerius peered at the woman once more before he heard that she was going to negotiate with him. That was interesting, most of his former assistants throughout the years didn't ever strike a deal with him. He gave her a small smile, before he nodded, "Sure thing, Fox. I'll looked over the notes you took as you go make copies." Valerius watched her as she left the classroom to go make some copies. Good, now he can use a little bit of magic to get this place cleaned up. The chemicals were bad enough in the sewers. He waved his hand and stacks of papers gathered themselves onto the desk, and then got out his wand. He waved it, and the power in the room flickered crazily as the chemicals disposed of themselves without causing any harm. He held his wand at his side, as he took off the lab coat that he was wearing, revealing a dark blue suit that fit nicely on his form. He could hear footsteps enter the classroom and he quickly put his wand away. The electricity finally stopped flickering with the use of magic, but everything was cleaned up. That wasn't the first time that Valerius was almost busted with his careless use of magic.

"Uh, thanks so much, Fox. About the lights, I asked them so many times to replace the breaker or the bulbs, but they never seem to listen to me," explained Valerius as he covered up his use of magic with yet another lie. Thing was, Valerius was never a good liar, and he wasn't about to start learning. He hated lying but he loved to teach chemistry since he graduated from Durmstrang. He left the family to find his own path, and found himself in New York. He earned his degree with haste, and managed to end up here. So, he went over to the notes that Fox handed him and looked them over, and couldn't see what she was having issues with. The notes were perfect, down to the symbols. Why was she having trouble? Did she just not understand the material? Valerius inquired, "So, what is it about the lesson that you don't understand?" His tone was warm and welcoming, the fear of being caught doing magic left the voice completely. When he could talk about chemistry to someone, then he could definitely focus on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back