Cheap Entertainment

Dittany Belrose

daddy's girl; duelling enthusiast; prefect <3
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
For much of her first semester at Hogwarts, Dittany had behaved herself. She'd had the odd moment of insolence, but on the whole, she'd kept quiet in class, done her homework, and stayed out of trouble. And she'd never been more bored in her life. Where was the fun in sticking to all of the rules? It appeased her professors, and her family, but it did little to inspire the Gryffindor, who, in behaving so well, had yet to make any fun or interesting friends. There was Oceanus, but Dittany hardly saw him around - which was odd, considering they were in the same house. There was only one thing for it. It was time to have a little fun.

Figuring she should start small, Dittany snuck a jar of bubotuber pus into her robe pocket and headed outside, down the grounds and towards the Herbology greenhouses. She'd picked her time and place carefully: it was midday, and most of the staff and students were at lunch, far, far out of sight from the mischief she was about to cause. When she arrived at the first greenhouse, she glanced over her shoulder, and, satisfied nobody nearby was watching, unscrewed the lid of the bubotuber pus and used an old paint brush to apply a generous coating to the greenhouse door handle. One down, seven to go, she thought, with a smirk. Then again, why stop at all the greenhouse doors? Why not get to work inside the castle, too? The sky was the limit. Maybe she'd even get lucky enough to watch someone touch one of the handles and break out in boils. Now that would be funny.

A professor has already asked to bust this later on ;D

Asphodel's apathy toward generalized schooling only became more apparent the more often she skipped her classes. The young Slytherin wanted nothing more than to return home where she had friends, and a niche group she was comfortable with - but she knew it wasn't going to happen until West thought she'd spent enough time trying out the new school. Lunch didn't seem appetizing for Asphodel, whom had gorged on a large breakfast of sweet foods and then had an upset stomach most of the rest of the day, even now into lunch. The ginger haired student instead chose a stroll, hoping she could walk off some of the meal and feel less bloated in the end.

The summer weather was so warm and beautiful, and the native New Zealander knew better than to dress warm. Instead she made it a point to wear shorts and a tank top. The grounds were lovely, and slowly her upset stomach was relieved by a gentle breeze and sunlight. It wasn't until Pho was near the green houses that she even found something to catch her attention, and spotted a girl painting door-handles. "What are ye having a giggle about?" Asked the girl, hands on her waist of her jeans, eyes curious and suspicious.

The jar of bubotuber pus nearly went flying as Dittany jumped out of her skin. Either the girl who had approached was extremely light on her feet, or Dittany had been having too much fun to remember to pay attention to anybody who might be watching. The Gryffindor, composing herself, smiled. "Zis," she said, holding up the dark green jar. "Do you know what zis is? It is bubotuber pus. If you touch it, it is bad on the skin. You will get boils." Dittany moved away from the door handle already bedaubed in the sticky substance and began work on the next one. "I am bored. I zought zis would be fun."

Asphodel felt a smile touch her pink lips and then she chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm not a professor." She remarked, watching the door handle ooze slightly. The girls joke was interesting. "Is it painful?" She asked, hoping the student before her didn't want to cause harm to people. A prank was a prank but Pho knew better than to intentionally hurt someone if they weren't hurting someone in return. Asphodel followed her for a moment. It seemed such an inconvenient way to do this, especially considering she was all alone in doing it. Pho, having a curious nature and wondering how well the potions ingredient worked, couldn't help herself. "Want some help?" She asked, her flat tone not giving way to any specific way she was feeling, her eyes genuine though as she watched the girl for an answer.

Dittany smirked, relieved to get the sense the girl wasn't about to run off and tell a professor what she'd done. Truth be told, she didn't know whether or not it was painful; she'd never touched bubotuber pus before. "Maybe a little. But it is easily cured," she said, which she was sure was true. At the offer of help, the Gryffindor hesitated for a moment before handing the girl the jar and paint brush. "OK. We will take it in turns. I will watch zis time. If anybody is coming, drop ze jar and run." Dittany folded her arms and leaned against the greenhouse, looking out across the lawn. "I 'eff seen you in my classes, but I do not know your name. I am Dittany." She rolled her eyes. "And I 'eff 'eard every joke before, so do not waste your energy."

Asphodel nodded, satisfied with the answer that it would be cured easily. Most things in the magical world would be. Truth be told perhaps Asphodel should have known more, her dad always talked about copious potion ingredients and their effects. Sometimes though the young ginger couldn't help but tune him out. Asphodel held her hand out and carefully took the jar, not wanting a single drop on her freckled skin. The Slytherin began painting carefully, sure to get every inch of the door handle. The girl with the Parisian accent spoke up and Pho glanced over her shoulder as she started the next door. "Yeah, I'm a slytherin though. And trust me, no flower jokes here." She said, her English accent a bit of contrast to her new friend's. "I'm Asphodel. What house are you? You got an attitude like my house." She complimented, hoping that it sounded like a compliment. "What made you choose to do this?" She asked, holding up the brush and jar to refer to the painting of the handles.

Dittany's eyes widened when Asphodel revealed her name. "No," she said, starting to laugh. "Zat is awesome. I 'eff never met an Asphodel." So, she and the Slytherin had something in common already - as well as a willingness to coat greenhouse doors in bubotuber pus. She smirked at the compliment, shrugging and looking up towards the castle. "I told you; I was bored. So what do you do in your free time? You are good at zis. If zere is enough pus, we should do all ze professeur's office doors, too."

Asphodel didn't agree that her name was awesome. Her parents named her after a potions ingredient because it was their passion. It was going to follow her forever though. "Call me Pho please." She said now that the real introductions were out of the way, preferring to be known by her nickname. Asphodel chuckled at the suggestion. "I think it would be fun to do the headmasters door. She seems like she needs some excitement." Asphodel remarked. "I like to sleep and eat." She said. Asphodel was low maintenance and generally just went with the flow, it was one of the things that made her so popular in her muggle school. After a few doorknobs the ginger haired girl looked behind her. "Wanna trade I'll keep look for a couple?" She asked, offering her the pail.

"Hah - OK," Dittany agreed. "I wish zat my name could be made shorter. I do not zink I want to be called Dit." The Gryffindor grinned at how ready Pho was to risk her lunch times for the sake of lubricating Alicastell's doorknob. She gasped. "And if we get caught, we can say it was Vex!" Nobody would doubt that, right? The poltergeist was always playing silly little pranks like that. "Oui." Dittany took the jar of pus and got to work, trusting her new friend to be vigilant in her lookout duties. "I zink we 'eff nearly done all of zem. Where are we going to 'ide to - uh - to watch?"

Olive was doing the usual rounds of patrolling the grounds, but while she may have looked present her mind was astray. Things were tense with her relationships and while she was pleased with the progress bee students were making, it didn't stop her thinking that maybe she needed to do more in her own projects, perhaps take after Professor Pendleton a little more. Considering that it may have been an idea to find out what else the Professors did around the school, Olive was side tracked from her thoughts when she heard a small voice talking about the headmaster door. With a lack of context Olive could only assume the worse, and turning her head in the direction of the voices she moved across to see two young students in the process of slicking up the knobs of the doors with some sort of goop. Olive did not want to think too much about what exactly that was, and moved quietly into a position where she could watch the students discussing their plans. Crossing her arms over her chest, she eventually cleared her throat, waiting for them to notice her. The younger students were always the most difficult, and Olive would never under appreciate the fact she had bagged the elder set of year groups to teach.

Asphodel let her pink lips upturn and shrugged. "I sort of like Ditt." She teased. She glanced around looking for a place to hide, and was nearly going to point at a bush when a throat clearing noise came from beside them. Slowly the ginger shifted her gaze to a Professor. "F***." Said the pre-teen, before looking st her friend. "Run go!." She urges. She would take the trouble. After all she had failed to be a good look out. Otherwise the professor would never have seen them. She knew her father would hear about this, and he was going to be disappointed ted in her, but at least Asphodel could get Dittany out of trouble. Or so she hoped.

Dittany pulled a face. She definitely did not want to be called Ditt - though she supposed it was better than Ditz. The Gryffindor was oblivious to Professor Layton's arrival until her new friend suddenly swore, prompting her to turn around. Crap. Dittany rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She couldn't run away; she'd still have points taken away, if not more for trying to evade punishment. Instead, she blushed, embarrassed for being caught - she was usually sneakier than this - and waited to hear how many weeks' detention her prank had been worth.

Olive remained in place as the students realised she was standing there, although it barely registered that one of them swore. Too much time around her sister had desensitised her to the words, and instead the Potions professor raised her eyebrows simply in silent question as to what they were doing. Taking a few steps towards the students, she eyed up the situation, glancing between the brush and door handles. Moving across to take a closer look at their handy work, she frowned at irregularly placed goo. "Give me that," she said without looking at either of them, her hand out behind her as she waited for the brush. "If you're going to place a trap for someone then I don't suggest you just slap it on where everyone can see it," Olive spoke as she neatened up the mess they'd made so that the majority was on the underside of the handle, therefore much less easy to be found.

Suddenly clearing her throat, as though she realised what she was doing, she took out her wand and quickly cleaned away both the substance from the door and her brush before turning to face the students. "However, while I may have been just like you once myself, all good witches grow out of such habits. I suggest you do the same." she finished, peering between them both. Now she was going to have to go round and un-goop each and every door they'd managed to infect. By the looks of it, they'd been painting Bubotuber Pus although Olive was curious how they'd managed to get hold on that. "I hope that's not from Professor Pendleton's classroom?" she asked. Pranking students was one thing, but stealing wouldn't go unpunished.

Asphodel couldn't believe that Dittany hadn't ran away. She watched as the professor took the brush and urged her friend with a look to leave the trouble to her. The ginger haired girl didn't want her new friend to get in trouble. After all it was her fault the professor had spotted them. It seemed though this strange woman was going to give her advice rather than get them in trouble. She watched in shock and confusion when this woman cleaned up the handle except the underneath. Couldn't she get in trouble for this? "What the..." Asphodel murmured. However her thoughts of getting out of trouble were sent flying at the next question "no. I have my own greenhouse in the dungeons. The mini kind. It's mine. Just curing acne one person at a time." She spoke rolling her eyes, arms crushed over her chest.

Dittany's mouth fell open. Professor Layton was... helping them? That was how it appeared, just for a moment, before sadly she withdrew her wand and cleaned up the putrid substance from the greenhouse door handle. The Gryffindor resisted the temptation to roll her eyes; though it looked as if they might dodge detention, she didn't want to encourage one by being insolent. Asphodel, on the other hand, didn't seem to care. Dittany smirked at the Slytherin's response, raising a hand to cover her mouth. The best thing to do, for now, was probably to keep quiet. Anything Dittany said was only going to dig them a deeper hole - and anyway, she wanted to see how Professor Layton responded to sarcasm.

Olive sighed as one of the girls proceeded to resort to sarcasm to convey her excuses. She didn't need this. She'd taken enough students to their Heads of Houses for one year and adding to the pile of things they had to deal with wasn't going to make their lives any easier. "Fine. That will cost you ten house points each, although I do suggest you apologise to Professor Pendleton on your next trip down to the dungeons." she lowered her head, opening out a hand for the bucket. They needed to learn the importance and rarity of some ingredients, and theft wasn't flying under her radar. An eye roll from the red head didn't go unnoticed, and while she reminded her of Leda, Olive didn't plan on giving her an easy way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back