Change of Plans

Athena Zhefarovich

Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Widow
Wand
13 1/4" Cypress Wand with powdered serpent scale
Athena woke up with a groan as she staggered to the downstairs bathroom to up end her stomach for the third time in the past hour. The former Slytherin had only just made it in time, slamming her knees into the ground. She’d looked in the mirror after washing her mouth out to see the dark circles under her eyes, tears springing into them as she realized how horrible she looked. Already thin, Athena knew that she couldn’t really afford to not hold anything in her stomach, especially not anymore. The woman was beginning to suspect that she was pregnant, but she refused to get a test, refused to see a Healer, not wanting it to be true. If it was, her father was going to kill her. “No…Drakon” she whispered to her reflection, knowing that it was really the man, her boyfriend, who would be in terrible danger if it was in fact true. So, she believed that just pretending that she had a really bad stomach bug that affected her at about the same time, lunch time, each day was a better option. Dragging her way back to her couch, Athena fell onto it, reaching for the blanket that she’d been wrapped up in a moment before. The woman wanted desperately to speak to her sister about this and get some advice, but she knew that Kamaria was busy and she feared that her sister might go to their father. There was no reason for her to believe that, but her fatigue and discomfort had gotten the best of her, making her believe all sorts of irrational things.

Shooting up as another bout of nausea hit her, Athena ran for the bathroom again, a hand slapped to her mouth and stumbling as she went. The feeling went away almost as soon as she reached the bathroom and she slid down the wall just outside the room, her head in her hands. With a curse, Athena Zhefarovich struggled to get up, suddenly remembering that she’d forgotten to cancel her plans with Drakon for the day. She didn’t even know what time it was, but she knew that he’d be arriving soon. She’d shown him how to gain access to her house, so if she didn’t reach him before he arrived, he’d be inside before she knew it. And, she couldn’t let him see her like this. Athena had been cancelling things with him all week, coming up with silly excuses about why she couldn’t meet. Reaching her desk, Athena grabbed a piece of parchment and her quill and began to jot down a note.
Babe, I’m feeling like crap so don’t come over. I don’t want to get you sick. I’ll be ok in a few days. Don’t worry about me. XO, Athena
She put her head down on her desk, the coolness from the wood making her feel slightly better, and shut her eyes. Ok, just a few minutes and then I’ll send the letter , she thought to herself, shutting her eyes before she quickly fell asleep.

Drakon Katsaros could not be happier right now. He was going to be going to his girlfriend’s house. He thought that he looked really good, because he wanted to continue to impress her. It was only recently that the two got intimate. Drakon never thought it would have happened, but it did. The two had too much chemistry to ignore. Drakon felt that he was falling in love with her, which was something that he had never felt before. He wanted to have her within his life, since she made him better. He was a real jerk and never considered relationships to be for him, but then she came along and just placed him under her spell. He wanted to know how it was done, but for now, he was happy. Eventually, he settled on a casual outfit, while combing his hair. He tossed signature leather jacket to the side. He was giving up the bad boy look right now. Drakon already had the girl. He did not need to try luring her in with his bad boy appearance. Though he did like his leather jacket. He grabbed his black robe, throwing it over his outfit and turned on his heel to apparate out of his apartment to her own house. It was a lot more impressive than his.

Knocking on the front door, Drakon waited for someone to answer, or at least, the door to open. He waited for a moment before knocking again. Nothing. Concerned, Drakon decided to let himself inside. The door was locked. Drakon hissed to himself but then remembered how to get into the house. Doing what Athena told him in the past, eventually he found his way inside, but finding the living room completely deserted. Taking out his wand, Drakon walked around the house, before finding his way to the room where he found his lovely Athena, asleep on the desk. His brown eyes looked over her as he smiled, before he reached out to place a hand on her shoulder. His hand stopped in midair when his eyes caught to the note that she did not send to him. 'Athena's sick?' thought Drakon. Oh no, how was he supposed to help her? Should he carry her to her bed? Should he make some soup? He decided on the latter so he wouldn't disturb her. He hurried to the kitchen as quietly as he could, before searching the cupboards to find the ingredients for some chicken noodle soup.

Athena woke up to a small bang in her kitchen. She startled awake, her head rising from her arms as she realized that she’d been asleep for a lot longer than a minute. She cursed to herself, rising and tugging on the hem of her shirt as she headed for the kitchen. She wasn’t concerned about it having been a break-in because her father had performed the security spells on her house, and she didn’t doubt that whatever might happen during a break-in would have woken her right up. It would have been loud and probably quite dangerous. Since there had been nothing but that small bang that she’d heard, Athena was sure that it was someone that she knew in her kitchen. Of all the possibilities, there was only one she wanted to see right now. Kamaria. Really, only her sister could help her with this situation. She desperately hoped it was her and not the other few possibilities, each more disturbing than the last. One of her brothers, Drakon, her father. Athena wasn’t ready to see any of them. As she drifted closer to the kitchen, Athena caught a whiff of something cooking. Her stomach seemed to have settled down for the day and she hoped to keep it that way.

Entering her kitchen, Athena spotted Drakon with his back to her. She crossed her arms against her chest as she leaned against the doorway, watching him move around the kitchen as if it was something that he did often. Athena barely used her kitchen, and when she did, it was clear that she barely knew where things were. She’d never had the chance to send her note, and once he saw her, Athena was pretty certain it was going to be difficult to convince Drakon that she was truly sick. Still, she had to try. Faking a cough, Athena waited for him to look over at her. She gave him a weak smile, her gray eyes admiring his outfit choice for the day. “Drakon. I’m sorry. I meant to send you a message that I wasn’t feeling well. You really shouldn’t be here. You might catch what I’ve got” Fat chance of that, she thought to herself as she finished. She rubbed her arms as she watched him, hoping he wouldn’t come too close to her. Her stomach grumbled loudly, embarrassingly and she let her hand drift down until it almost touched her belly. Realizing what she’d almost done, Athena froze for a second before dropping her hand. She moved towards the table in the kitchen. “What did you make?” she asked, curiosity and hunger filling her. Athena was pleased that he’d gone through this trouble. She’d never seen this side of Drakon before, and she had to admit that it was a huge turn-on.

Drakon jumped back as he managed to drop the pot that he was going to use to boil the noodles. Oh crap, that probably woke her up. Drakon scrambled to pick it up, while he was stirring the broth. Wait a minute, he could have just used magic! He shook his head at how silly he could be. He continued to stir, and decided to put the noodles into the broth to soften them up that way, rather than cooking them separately. He just hoped that his cooking was something that he could do. Drakon remembered a time when he did have to fend for himself. His aunt and uncle were not very kind from time to time. Nothing he would consider abusive, though. He turned around as he heard footsteps. Oh wow, he did wake her up. But as he was looking at her, she surely did not look sick at all. She looked perfectly fine. Well, she did look a little tired, but that might have been from her sleeping on the desk. Drakon reached behind his head, and smirked as she coughed. That was cute. Drakon decided to play along, "I have one hell of an immune system. I doubt anything you have could get passed my wall."

The Scitorari heard the bubbling and turned to stir it real quick. Good, it was done. Athena asked what he was cooking, and for now, he remained quiet. He found a bowl, and poured the soup into it, retrieved a spoon and held it out to her. "Chicken noodle soup. I always ate it when I didn't feel good." Drakon may not have been the best cook, but he damn tried for someone like Athena. After all, he did care for her. He loved her. He just didn't express it vocally. He preferred if things were just implied. However, he did see through her sickness. Well, somewhat. Drakon could tell when someone was faking that. He did that a lot to get out of homework assignments. "So, what's going with you that was so bad that you didn't want me over here?" Drakon wanted to know so that he could maybe help her out. Maybe she had a stomach bug that was not possible to see just by looking.

Getting rid of him was beginning to seem like a more difficult task than she'd first anticipated. At least, it seemed like the worst of things had gone by. Athena wasnt usually sick the entire day, really only around the late morning to early afternoon. Her body clearly hadn't gotten the owl that it was called 'morning sickness.' As Athena waited for a reply, she watched Drakon work. Before long, a bowl was in front of her. At least, she actually liked chicken soup, and she reached for the spoon, a smile on her face as she thanked him. Unfortunately, it was way too hot to eat right away, so when his question came, Athena simply looked down at the bowl and stirred. She kept that up for a few seconds, contemplating what to say to him. She couldn't admit her suspicions. She wasn't ready to admit things to herself, let alone to him. If she was right, it would change everything, and Athena was scared of that. There were so many things about being a parent that freaked her out. Would it somehow make her go crazy like her mother? Would she know what to do? Would she be a good mother? Athena hadn't had a very good role model growing up, and these fears had made her decide long ago that she'd be alright if she never had a child. She knew that things had worked out for her siblings, but that didn't mean anything to her. And that wasn't even considering what Drakon might do. It was just too, too much. So she preferred to avoid it all.

Athena shrugged, her eyes getting that itchy feeling that they did when she wanted to cry. But she forced them back, her gaze still on her bowl as she replied. " I think I'm coming down with the flu. Maybe it's even Dragon pox. You never know. I was with my niece in the park a couple of days ago. The children there could have had anything. You really should go" her voice gaining urgency as she went on. Finally, as she finished, she spooned a bit of soup into her mouth. It scalded her mouth slightly, no less than what she deserved she knew. But, it was amazing. It even rivaled her father's soup. "Drakon...this is amazing" she added, taking another tentative spoonful. So far, her stomach wasn't betraying her.

Drakon clearly did not suspect that there was anything wrong with Athena. He didn't know what was wrong with her, but maybe it was something like cramps, which he had sisters a long time ago. He knew about those things. Not well, but he did. Drakon brushed his hands through his hair. He wondered if she would like the soup that he made for her anyway. Drakon watched as she stirred the soup. He leaned against the the counter, and wondered if it would be up to par. She said that she was coming down with the flu, or even the Dragon Pox. She was with her niece in the park a few days ago, which was where she could have gotten it from. Drakon raised an eyebrow, "I have a great immune system. You really cannot scare me away, Athena, no matter what you say." Drakon was sure that no matter what was going on with her body, she would not be scaring him away. Drakon was not about to start running unless Axel came through the door. Then Drakon really would definitely start running.

She said that it was amazing, and that made him blush slightly. He was not really good at cooking, so he thought, but apparently it was good to her. Drakon folded his arms across his chest, and he decided to be a little more serious as to why she didn't want him around. "Athena, we've been going together for a while, so I need you to be honest with me." Drakon thought for a moment on how to word it. Well, best to be as straight forward as ever. "Why do you really want me gone? Is there something that you aren't telling me?" Drakon felt as though she was not telling him something. And he needed to know.

Getting rid of Drakon obviously wasn’t going to happen. He seemed to think he was immune to everything, and she was becoming more and more sure each day that she really wasn’t sick in a way that he could catch something. Athena knew that she needed to go to St. Mungo’s, but she kept waking up each day hoping that she would feel more normal, that she could put off that healer’s visit. Finishing what she could, which wasn’t much at all, Athena pushed her bowl away and looked up as Drakon spoke again. It was as if he’d been waiting for her to finish, waiting for her to be free from distraction before he pounced. Athena kept her gaze on him, not wanting to look away and prove that he was right. She started to shake her head. “No, I’m -” she started to lie and say that she was fine, but then stopped herself. Could she really lie to him? Athena had always stressed being honest, and he had just asked her to be honest with him.

Looking down at the table, Athena played with her fingers, studying them as if they held the answers that she sought. “I… I…” she began, not knowing how to even say it. She knew that the best way would be to just come out with it as he’d asked her. Tell him that she suspected that she was pregnant. But, she couldn’t. Athena wasn’t ready to admit that to herself, let alone to Drakon. The woman sighed heavily. She would just tell him and hope for the best. “Drakon, please don’t be mad” she finally began, her silver eyes looking at his as she hoped that he wouldn’t be. “I think I’m…” the woman began, though she never got to finish the sentence as she was interrupted.

The door to Athena's home slammed open, as a tall figure barged in. The figure was the enraged Head of the Zhefarovich Family, also known as Athena's father, Axel. Just minutes ago, he was with Kalif, looking over the family tree while discussing possible arrangements including adding a change here and there for the marriages, before he noticed something was strange. There was a new addition, but it was one that he did not want to see. It was none other than Drakon's name, and a line extended down. That only meant that there was a child formed. Kalif only sighed, as Axel stormed out in a blind rage. He once attacked the kid, after the kid tried to punch him (but horribly failed). Then, his grandfather had to interrupt. His involvement in the family was complicated, seeing as he was raising Axel's younger half brother that was thrown out of the family due to a prediction about him. Axel felt as though he was justified by coming here, to Athena's home, albeit without proper notification. Axel normally would have sent an owl a few days in advance, but this time, he definitely had no time to waste. He didn't even stop to tell Ivy.

"You maggot!" Axel hissed in his icy tone, as he dashed into the kitchen and lifted the young man by his throat, into the air. He briefly looked to his daughter. Sure, she might love him, but he was not about to let her become pregnant without proof that this man could look after her and the child. He could not hear what Drakon was trying to say, but it seemed like he didn't even know. Axel tightened his grip a little, before he raised his voice a little above a whisper, which was dangerous enough, "You impregnated my daughter, ingrate!" He knew the boy was not smart. Knocking up a daughter of his, definitely not going to live through the night. Just to humor him, he loosened his grip a bit, and muttered. "Any last words before I snap your neck?"

Drakon listened as Athena tried to tell him what was going on, and thankful that she was not lying. She might be what? Drakon could not think of what it was before the door slammed open, and his eyes widened to see who it was. Axel. He was pale as a ghost, and in a rage. Drakon let out a small shout of fear before he was suddenly up in the air by the brute. His hands struggled to get him to let go. He could probably kick the man in a sensitive area, but he didn't want to die. Drakon didn't even know what he did wrong! He thought of his sister as he looked into those insane, black eyes. This was probably the scariest things he had ever seen. If he was in front of a boggart, it would take the form of Axel instead of his sister. This was just beyond him. He couldn't breathe! Drakon then heard the news, and understood why Axel was so furious. His eyes looked to Athene as he struggled to breathe, his face reddening before Axel finally let loose a little bit so that he could get some air in him.

Axel wouldn't be here if it wasn't true. Drakon was going to be a dad. Drakon finally uttered out, "I-I told myself... If I had any children with...your daughter, I'd... I'd want them named after you!" Drakon felt his hand loosen so much, that he was dropped right on his rear. Drakon held his throat, seeing as it was sore and likely to bruise. He coughed, and couldn't find the air once more, before he finally gained some sort of control. He sighed before he got up. He looked up at Axel, before saying, "It's true. I saw and heard stories about you. How great of a dad you are, and your accomplishments. If Athena and I marry, that was when I'd want a son named after you. If the kid is a daughter..." Drakon shrugged his shoulders, "Axelle maybe?" Drakon looked over to Athena, before smiling awkwardly like he normally did when he was afraid. Sure, being a dad scared him, but nothing scared him more than disappointing Axel. Mainly because he valued his life.

Athena had never seen her father this angry. Even the last time that he'd interrupted them paled in comparison to this as Axel lifted Drakon off the ground, his hand around her boyfriend's throat. Athena's own hands reached up to cover her mouth as he father yelled at the man, confirming what she'd feared. She was pregnant. A cold feeling of dread swept through the woman, though whether it was because her boyfriend might very well die in front of her face or her father was not at all pleased by the news, she wasn't sure. Finally, Athena sprung into action, moving towards the two. To do what? She wasn't sure. Her father towered over her and she was nearly six feet tall. And he was like a mountain. Still, she had to do something. Meeting Drakon's gaze, Athena knew that he was probably looking for confirmation. She gave him a curt nod, sagging in relief when her father eased up a little, though his words were ominous.

Drakon started speaking then, and Athena didn't know whether to be happy or if she should say her goodbyes. He never seemed to say the right thing in front of her father. He spoke of thinking of having children with Athena which put a smile on her face. She'd never known that he'd thought of that. Athena kneeled beside Drakon as her father unceremoniously dropped him, rubbing his back and asking if he was ok. She rose, standing right near him as he did. If her dad even thought about lunging for Drakon again, she hoped he would consider how close she was. Angry he might be, but Athena knew her father wouldn't want to harm her or her unborn child. Axelle was a terrible name. She'd have to talk Drakon out of that somehow. For now though it was more important to keep him alive. "Father. He didn't know. I...I wasn't sure so I hadn't said anything to him yet" Athena admitted. She straightened, upset that she even had to defend herself. "But, we're adults...and you didn't do this to Levi when he knocked up Ariah so stop it" she finished, not even realizing that Drakon would likely be the one punished for her attitude.

Either Drakon really valued his life and knew just way to say to make Axel lessen in anger, and drop him, or he was just talking out of his rear. Axel was a little surprised that he was thinking that far into the future with his daughter, but there was no mention of marriage. That was what he wanted to see. As he watched Athena venture a little too close for him to reach out and deal with Drakon on his own terms, Axel stiffened up before rolling his eyes. Axelle was only a good name for the ghost that Arnost was so enamored with. Axel reached into his pocket, grabbing his wand, but not pulling it out just yet. Athena's attitude didn't really help his anger at all. He narrowed his eyes and reminded, "They were married. And in an arranged marriage with one and another. That is law that they have a kid within a year of marriage." Axel didn't think he had to remind her of that, but perhaps he did. This was rather disappointing. He sighed, before deciding that he needed to actually accept Drakon now. If he left Athena, well, he wouldn't live single for long.

He released his wand, and walked over to the remnants of the soup. He tasted it, deeming it as satisfactory but definitely needed some improvements. If Axel really knew something, it was about food. He finally said, "Sit. Living room." He motioned for them to go to the living room before finding a seat himself. He raised an eyebrow, looking at Drakon in particular. However, his next words were obviously directed toward his daughter, "Be it son or daughter, it will have our surname." Axel still had his eyes on Drakon, to which he started speaking directly to, "So, what are you going to do now? If you leave my daughter, I will end you. If she leaves you, well, I'll end you for sport. Your blatant disrespect to authority will change. If you have an attitude with my father or older brother, well, let's just say that you will wish that you were murdered by me. I may be creative, but they are more so. Is that clear?"

Drakon really loved that Athena was taking his side, but paled a bit more when she had an attitude with her father. As soon as Axel revealed that Leviathan and Ariah were in an arranged marriage, which he assumed, his mind immediately dismissed the idea as medieval before he thought twice. Axel might be one of those Legilimens. He couldn't think too much negativity toward the Zhefarovich family. There was a reason why they survived as long as they did. Drakon watched his movements carefully, and ready to shove Athena to the side in case her father decided to kill him then and there. Drakon didn't want Athena hurt for something that he did. Drakon definitely moved a bit when Axel tried the soup that he made for Athena, and wanted to ask how he liked it, but decided to keep his mouth shut. Then the man barked orders. Drakon rushed into the living room, sitting on the couch and waited for Athena. Their kid was to have the Zhefarovich name, which was perfectly fine with him. People knew of the Zhefarovich name before his own. It was great, feared. It was perfect.

Then it was all on him. His face paled to a ghostly white when he heard about Axel's brother and father. 'Don't tell me that they get worse!' thought Drakon. Drakon folded his hands together before he cleared his throat to avoid from squeaking, "Yes, sir. As far as my plans, I intend to marry Athena one day. I would marry her tomorrow if she would have me. But it is ultimately up to her." Drakon sighed, before his eyes wondered to the ground. If she suddenly didn't want him anymore, Axel would kill him. Well, he couldn't imagine life without her and his future baby, so it wouldn't really bother him. "If you are afraid of me leaving her, don't be. I would kill for her if needed."

Athena crossed her arm, rolling her eyes like a sullen teenager as her father replied, explaining why she and Leviathan were different. Her father didn’t mention that it was probably because Levi was his son while she was his daughter, knowing that was probably a more accurate reason for the difference in their treatment. As her father ordered them into the living room, Athena narrowed her eyes which had grown darker as this conversation had worn on. She remained rooted in place, but then Drakon rushed into the living room. With a sigh, she followed, sitting herself as closely to Drakon as she could, her knee touching his as she placed her hand onto his knee, both to keep him in place and comfort him. The woman was making a statement to her father, that he had no control over this, her feelings towards this man.

As her father began, Athena kept her gaze down, listening but not fully prepared to challenge him again. She gave a curt nod, knowing that her child having her surname would present him or her with much better opportunities in life than having the Katsaros name. It wasn’t as known and certainly was not as feared. Her fingers tightened on Drakon as her father turned his attention, spewing threats to the man. Axel and Drakon had never had good interactions with each other, and she feared that this was how it was always going to be. She moved her hand back to her lap, listening to Drakon’s response, a small smile resting on her face at his words. Finally, she looked up to her father. “I’m not getting married tomorrow” she stated, the smile off of her face. She didn’t put it past her father to march them somewhere to make things official. “But, see, father? Everything is going to be fine” she added, her hand drifting to the hem of her shirt. She wasn’t entirely convinced of that yet, her own fears of being a mother still running amok in her mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back