Certain Matters

Sammael had been sipping his water when the question was asked of him. He swallowed his drink and set the glass back on the table. "An excellent question Far. I believe no, at least not completely. She seemed quite confused last I spoke with her. I am still waiting for a report back from that Green girl."

"As well she would be," Valcan said, shaking his head. "That Green girl is a joke, I must say. I will have Lief contact her once more. Has the Green girl tried to contact either of you?"

"The Green girl?" Tristan snorted. "I am sorry, Far, but I can't see what she has done to help anything. She stole a few letters that weren't really worth anything, and her reports have come back as anything but sufficient." His eyes narrowed. "No, I have never met her. But why would I wish to? I don't believe in children being Death Eaters, to tell you the truth." His tone was slightly harsh; he had never brought up his opinions on Elizabeth to his father before.

"Nor do I, Far," Sammael said firmly. It was odd to be agreeing with Tristan in front of Valcan like that. "But as for contact, she had contacted me before asking to meet me, but I declined. I did send her a letter asking her to spy on Sophia. Most of what she gave me back was useless or something I already knew. She is either ridiculously stupid, as she says she would rather torture people, or she is saying what she believes we want to hear. I dislike it."

Valcan smirked knowingly; of course, there was one part of the prophecy that these two knew absolutely nothing about, and he was going to keep it that way.

"If you happen to be referring to Elizabeth, I was simply doing something for our best interests." He waved to the both of them with a large hand, indicating that 'our' was referring to all in the room. "If I am correct, we have practically eliminated Elizabeth from the prophecy. I would not worry if I were you two; it's not as if she can do much anyway. She cannot perform magic in any case."

"As for the Green girl," he snorted, "I agree on her uselessness, but spies are not expendable. She needs to be checked up on in any case." He sat back, looking from one to the other. It was a rare occasion that both of his sons agreed about something openly against him.

"Maybe the Green girl has overspent her use?" Tristan suggested coldly. "I daresay that we do not need a spy that can't come up with some valid information; Estrella has even contacted me. I am awaiting a reply from her as we speak."

"The Green girl stays where she is," Valcan demanded firmly, a little bit haughtily. He was always in control of conversations, that was the norm, but it was not the case right now. It seemed as if Sammael and Tristan were the ones with more control.

"Your daughter has contacted you?" Valcan exclaimed, raising his eyebrow. "About what? Although I must say that you cannot suppose that she would tell you everything that a spy would."

He turned to Sammael. "Has your daughter made any contact with you as well?"

((Holler at me if I'm being redundant.))

"No, she would not tell me everything that a spy would," Tristan agreed. "But at least I'm making progress with it, aren't I?" He smirked. "She didn't owl me about anything in particular. It was a few sentences of randomness, mostly about Erik and then one saying she didn't know why she was writing to me. Damned indecisive, if you ask me." He leaned back in his chair, sipping at his lemonade.

"So both shall be staying here for the entirety of the break," Valcan mused quietly. "How do either of you suppose that you shall bring them here? Would you pick them up at school? I would rather that no one would have to use force. It would make things so much easier."

"Yeah, right, Far," Tristan snorted, sipping at his lemonade. "Me go to the school? After last year, not a snowball's chance in hell. I'm not going near there in any case. Hell, I can't even go to Hogsmeade in New Zealand without looking over my shoulder every five seconds."

He smirked. "You're going to have to use your own machinations, Far, as far as her getting here. She doesn't trust me in one bit. Maybe pick her up at Carlisle's or wherever the heck else she's going? I'm not doing it. Unless you want to ruin your whole deception thing."

"I can attempt to pick Sophia up from the school. The Headmistress seemed to trust me when I was there last. The question is if Sophia trusts me."

Valcan first turned to Tristan, his expression a mite irritated. "Well, you're about as helpful as a thorn in the side." He looked at his son darkly, his eyes as cold as the ice hue they were, his intimidating gaze lingering on him for a moment and then shifting to Sammael.

"If the Headmistress should trust you, then you might have some better luck in convincing your daughter. I don't know how helpful it would be, but I would suggest writing to her to try to get through."

His stomach was growling as a plate of chicken and steamed rice appeared in front of the three of them, and he picked up his fork delicately, but wasting no time in digging in. After he had eaten a considerable amount, he dabbed at the corners of his mouth with a napkin, and resumed speaking, his never-satisfied stomach quiet for the time being. He looked at the both of his sons for a moment; sad, what was going to happen to one or the other in time, but on the other hand, it was for the good of all.

"I shall converse with this Carlisle once more. You, Tristan, try finding out where Estrella's going, what she's going to do, and all that. If she has a job, find out what it is, and possibly seek her out there, if you would find that a wise move."

He turned back to Sammael. "Sam, Estrella may be beyond help as far as trust goes, but Sophia is not a lost case. Try getting through to her, and try to find out what is going through her head with this whole situation. You have been father to her her whole life; she will at least have to respect you enough to listen to what you have to say. Or write, whichever."

He smirked. "And if either of you have to play dirty to reach any aforementioned goals, then so be it."

He set his fork down, taking a swig of his drink and finally saying, "I will do my part when the time comes. I shall attempt my best to convince the girls that I am on their side, even if their fathers seem not to be. Is everything in order with what I have said?"

"Sounds good to me," Tristan said, shrugging and digging into his food. As always, it was delicious. "I can't promise you much though, as far as progress with Estrella. I think she inherited stubborness through you."

Valcan rolled his eyes. "Don't even start talking to me about being stubborn, Tristan." He smirked. "I'd consider looking a little closer in the family tree if I were you."

He set down his napkin. "If all is in order, then the both of you are free to leave, and do as you wish, although keep in mind what I have told you." His expression was cold and distant as always. Even toward Sammael, he had never been a particularly warm person.

Tristan smirked, shaking his head at his father's prior comment. "Well, I shall be off then," he announced, finishing the majority of what was on his plate and setting it down for one of the house elves to clean up. "Sam, Far," he smirked even more broadly, nodding to each of them in turn, his expression semi-jovial, "I bid the both of you good day." With a rather irritating salute that resembled that of the Nazis, he disapparated with a loud pop.

Valcan glared at the spot where Tristan had disapparated, unimpressed and irritated by his Nazi-esque salute. It was rather an insult to be saluted like the Austrian idiot himself.

He smirked weakly at Sammael. "Have you and Edvard found a place yet?" His plate emptied, a house elf came to make the rounds, clearing the table of the empty plates. "I am also trying to think of ways to make the girls see me in a good light. Do you know what would do so for Sophia?"

Sammael had become slightly irritated and had been simply eating in silence as Tristan and Valcan had their exchange. He now was forced to turn to Valcan, as it was only the two of them. Swallowing the rest of his bite he set down his fork.

"Yes, Edvard and I have found a place near Auckland. As for Sophia, Far, I am not sure why you would think I have even a clue as to how to get her to trust anyone, let alone you."

Valcan shrugged. "I thought you might have some ideas, seeing as she is your daughter."

"Ah, New Zealand," he said, "Charming island, is it not?" He smirked. "Was your dinner less than satisfactory, Sammael? You seem upset." He had noticed that Sammael was irritated, and was calling him on it.

"Yes, New Zealand is rather charming. A bit bright for my tastes, but our apartment is not too bad. Dinner was quite acceptable Far, I am simply tired and a mite frustrated. Yes, Sophia is my daughter, but I do not know how to gain her trust. I am trying, and if I make any discoveries I will let you know.

"Now, if you will please excuse me Far, I am supposed to help Edvard decorate the apartment." Without waiting for an answer Sammael stood, took a step away from the table, and disapparated with a pop.
<i></i>

Valcan could only nod, allowing Sammael to indulge in his own life, although he was a little taken aback by his abruptness. Leaving the house elves to clean the table, he stepped out of the dining room to go pursue his own interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back