Catching up

Canoc Taggart

Canoc thumped his staff as he walked painfully through the woods. He'd gotten an owl requesting to tutor young Miss Weasley. He sat down on a stump and wiped the sweat from his forehead before patting his pockets in search of a potion. He uncorked it, threw it back and swallowed before steam came out of his ears. His chuckled rang through the field and into the forest. He felt moderately better. He closed his eyes and leaned against his staff awaiting the arrival of his student.

After having send word to Professor Canoc about tutoring, he had sent her an owl back telling her to meet him in the forbidden forest at a specific time. She walked through the forest, not too far in, and she finally saw the professor.

"Hello professor, I'm really happy that you found the time to tutor me!" She exclaimed just as she had reached him.

"G'day lass. I always have time fer those that want ta learn." He thumped his staff for good measure. "Today's session ye'll be about two woodland creatures today. The first is a very mischievious being of low intellect although they’re comely little things.” He led them to a small break in the woods where tiny creatures with wings flew about.

“Fairies. Woodsprites. They have many names but are the same creature. You’ll notice their wings.” He pointed upwards with a square tipped finger. “Those ones there have translucent wings, those there are more colorful. They’re not very large. Largest ones are five inches, smallest are about one inch in height.”

"Now Miss Weasley, what d'ye think of the Fairies?" He turned to Zoe-Hope, wondering if the lass would fancy the little creatures.

Zoe followed Professor Taggart, and smiled when she saw the fairies flying about. She thought that they were sort of a girlie type of creature, and remembered reading a story about them when she was younger.

"I think they're kind of girly. Fluttering about and such." She said. "What sort of magical powers do they have?" She asked, only knowing what was probably fictional, that she had learned in fairytales.

"Good question." Professor Taggart rumbled. "Ye see, their magic is weak at best. Only really good against predators."

Zoe got slightly confused at this, what sort of creature would attack a harmless little fairy? "What sort of predators do fairies have?" The only one she could think of, were kids that said they didn't believe in fairies, which was only a myth.

"Large birds of prey mostly." He coughed into a handkerchief for a moment. "Pard'n me." He put it away and leaned on his walking staff. "We'll call it a day," he said. "Tomorrow after yuir lessons, come to me classroom and we'll go over dangerous beasts I canna wrangle."

Zoe listened carefully, and tried to picture vultures chasing after fairies. She cracked a smile, it just didn't look right.

She then turned to the professor, and responded, "Alright, tomorrow it is!" And she made her way back up to the castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back