Carlisle Bennet's Home

Carl Bennett

Carlisle was very worried as he opened his door once more, always scared to do this for over a month. Matters had been unsettling enough these past few weeks: attempting to explain why two officers had gone unconscious on a strange call to his house, repairing the things that had been obliterated by Tristan's arrival, and trying to keep his family as comfortable as possible. He worried about his niece every single day, hoping that she was okay.

He stared at the two men on his doorstep. Neither of them was Tristan, as he had feared. But both of them were definitely wizards, and seemed to be carrying a calm and peaceful air. "Hi. Who are you?" he inquired dryly of the older looking man, who was sporting an elaborately decorated cane.

"Hello. I'm Lucius Malfoy," the man replied with a warm air, which required a great force of acting on his part. "I take you to be Estrella's uncle? I'm Elizabeth's grandfather. I'm terribly worried about her. She hasn't written in a great while, and her father is wondering where she could have gone." He extended his hand to the muggle man, which was taken slowly and firmly. At least the filthy muggle has a good grip, he thought to himself. Turning his head to the man next to him, who had decided to sport muggle clothes and comb back his hair, contrary to Lucius, "And this is Garett. He is accompanying me on this journey. We've come from Britain."

Looking at the muggle man and waiting for him to reply, Lucius thought, It won't take too much to convince this man of anything. He could see that the man was very gullible, even though he appeared to be wary.

"Carlisle Bennett," Carlisle replied, a little more warmly this time. At least someone had cared to look around for both of the girls. "Can I invite you in for coffee or tea?" He opened his door, indicating the small kitchen. He smiled weakly as both men nodded. He noticed that one had attempted to look like a so-called muggle, but the old man seemed confident in his ways. As he ushered them in, he said, "I'm afraid they haven't been here for over a month. They flew away when Estrella's father came calling and I haven't heard from them since. I sent Estrella a letter, but I never got a reply. I wonder if they went back to Hogwarts?"
He sat down with the two men, noting uneasily the penetrating glance of Lucius Malfoy's eyes. But unlike Tristan, he didn't seem hostile. And neither did Garett, the much younger and somber looking man.

"I'll have tea, thank you," Lucius replied curtly, slightly offended at the americanized idea of coffee. As he listened to Carlisle's explanation and sipped tea, he nodded, having expected the answer that he was given. Elizabeth and Estrella, in any case, seemed too intelligent to return here. Instead, he stood up straight, looking Carlisle straight in the eye and appearing to be concerned. "I do hope they're okay. I wouldn't know what I would ever do if my granddaughter would be hurt. But yes, I suppose they could be at Hogwarts."

Garett declined anything to drink, and as he sat down, he barely listened to anything that was said. He had just come with Lucius as a precaution, in case the girls did happen to be here. But as they were not, and having not much to do, he stared at a speck of spagetti sauce on the floor, that had been made by the family baby and had been ignored for the moment. He noticed that others were in the room adjacent to them, but they were only muggles, staring fearfully at the newcomers. Probably scared of what happened with Tristan last time, he thought with a chuckle to himself.

His gaze was very vacant these days. Although no one close to him knew this, he was very upset about Liz. He was torn in two; part of him didn't blame her for leaving, and the other was angry that she had left and used him as a path of escape. He had no one to really talk to anymore, and he missed her quick wittedness and beautiful face very much. He had read the letter she had left him a million times over, although he was very careful not to let anyone else see it.

He was not planning to say anything throughout the whole conversation. His mind was still intent on thinking about Liz.

"I hope they're okay too," Carlisle replied, and he noticed his scared family lurking in the other room, his son or wife peeking around the entrance every once in a while. "Where else could they have gone? I believe school starts for them in a few days."

"Yes, it does," Lucius replied. "Estrella doesn't have any other family she could have gone to, does she?" His nostrils flared as he waited for a reply, hoping that it would be postive.

Carlisle shook his head. "No. I've called up everyone I could think of, and none of them have any idea where she could be. I had quite a time trying to explain how she could have disappeared to some of my realatives; most of them don't know that Estrella is a witch, you see."

Lucius sighed, but on the other hand, he hadn't been expecting much. "That's unfortunate. I really would like to know if my granddaughter is safe or not." Cocking his head slightly, he inquired warmly, "Would you tell me if either of them contacts you or returns here? I just want to know that they're secure."

Shrugging his shoulders, Carlisle said, "Sure. But how would I contact you?" At least someone in Estrella's world cares if her and her friend are alright, he thought to himself with relief.

Lucius stood, smiling, having sipped all his tea, which was simply plain, not the delicious, expensive drink that he was used to. Keeping a calm face and not allowing his sadistic victory to show, he said, "I appreciate it very much, Mr. Bennett. I will have my owl Salazar, he is a pretty big owl, you'll know its him, come around about this time every few days and see if you have any replies." He smiled as he pushed the cheap wooden chair up to the table, Garett doing suit.

"Thank you for your time. I'll keep in touch." Leaving with Garett hurriedly, desperate to be out of the house that reeked of muggle simplicity, he strutted back down the lane, Carlisle staring after him in the distance.

A few days later, Carlisle was not expecting the knock at his bedroom window. Jumping out of bed, he opened it to let Estrella's owl Harper in, who hooted at him hurriedly. He flinched at the sight of her beak, which hurt when it was jabbing into his hands. Hurriedly he opened the letter that the barn owl had been carrying, not having heard anything from his niece for a great period of time.
Carlisle,
I've arrived at Hogwarts. I know you must have been worried, but now I'm okay. I'm not going to tell you where I was, because I know it will stress you out even more.  Please understand; all that matters now is that I'm safe.

Certain things have come up.  I can only tell you that there are dangerous people in my world, and you would do your best not to anger them.  I don't know if my father will bother you again, but inform me if anyone from my world does.  I'm not sure if I will be coming over holiday break, or any breaks for that matter.  Things are just too dangerous, for both myself and our family.  I can;t put everyone else in a worse situation than I already have.
Wishing you well, and hoping that you are okay.
Love,
Estrella.

Please reply back! <3 <3 <3

P.S.: I know that this is a late reply for your question, but yes, Harper will bite at times.  Only if you don't send me letters.  She's very picky about that.  And if you want to give her a treat, I think I left a package of them hanging around my room.  Again, wishing you the best

Carlisle sighed in relief as he saw that Estrella was okay. He was a little worried about what had happened over the summer, and that she was reluctant to say anything. Like Estrella had encouraged, he went into her room, which his wife had tidied up long after Estrella had left. The packet of owl treats was sitting on her nightstand, and he took one out, giving it to the barn owl. Content with the gesture, Harper did not sabotage his hand to encourage speed with his reply.

Walking downstairs, he took a piece of notebook paper that was set aside the computer, and wrote a hurried letter. Giving it to the owl, he watched her as she flew away with a happy hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back