Camping out under the stars.

Harriet Turner

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
(( Fm Static- Tonight. ))

The night outside was cold and crisp, the gardens looked magical under the illumination of the stars, Harri walked out of the castle clutching her sleeping bag, since Emmas death she had been up and down and now thanks to the help of her friends she had been able to acccept Emma's death. She smiled now, so grateful to those who helped her.
As she approached the gardens the aroma of flowers and trees hit her, she smelled the surroundings smiling it smelt beautiful! She walked for a while finding the perfect spot. After walking for a little while she found the right spot, she put down her sleeping bag and sat on it. Her comfy pyjama bottoms and her uncles thick hoodie were only just keeping her warm! She sat down smiling "Happy birthday Emma!" she said smiling, then she sung, she sung the song that Emma had loved and that reminded her of Emma a little too much. Fm Static- Tongiht.

"I remember the times we spent together
on those drives
We had a million questions
all about our lives
and when we got to New York
everything felt right
I wish you were here with me
tonight

I remember the days we spent together
were not enough
and it used to feel like dreamin'
except we always woke up
Never thought not having you
here now would hurt so much

Tonight I've fallen and I can't get up
I need your loving hands to come and pick me up
And every night I miss you
I can just look up
and know the stars are
holdin' you, holdin' you, holdin' you tonight

I remember the time you told me about when you were eight
And all those things you said that night that just couldn't wait
I remember the car you were last seen in
and the games we would play
All the times we spilled our coffees
and stayed out way too late
I remember the time you SAT AND told me about your Jesus
and how not to look back even if no one believes us
When it hurt so bad sometimes
not having you here...

I sing,
I can just look up
and know the stars are
holdin' you, holdin' you, holdin' you tonight

I sing,
I can just look up
and know the stars are
holdin' you, holdin' you, holdin' you tonight"

A small tear formed in her eye as she sang, but she was happy, she was happy with her memories and however much she missed Emma and wished she could have herback, she had made a pact with hereself to remember the memories and be content with the. She laid back on the ground staring up at the twinkling stars that shone so brightly. She looked up gazing at them. Stunningly silent. Silently stunning.

Kiera was walking inside when she heard singing. Kiera walked over to see who it was. Harri. She silently moved to sit down beside Harriet. She had a feeling this was about Emma. Kiera kept quiet and listened to the lovely song. Harri would speak to her when she was ready.

Harri smiled as Kiera sat down "Sorry about my terrible singing!" she said and laughed. A few weeks ago she wouldn't have been able to cope with this but now she knew she could, she felt like she could openly talk about Emma. "It's Emmas brithday tonight!" She said and smiled, tears still fell slowly but she smiled.

Kiera smiled. "Your singing's not so bad." she said truthfully. "How are you feeling?" Kiera asked. Harriet had been doing better over the last few weeks. Harri was allowed to cry on this occasion.

Harri smiled "Thanks." she whispered. "How am I feeling? Well, thats a good question!" she said and went into deep thought, when she finally snapped out of it she said "Well I'm happy that I can sit here and celebrate it without feeling like I'm going to have a depressive takeover. But!" she sighed "So sad that shes not here. It's her 12th birthday and she has already been taken." she whispered her eyes stinging "And I know saying it's not fair isn't going to bring her back. Nor are my silly tears!" she said indicating the tears dripping from her eyes "But I have to say it, becuase it isn't fair, shes too young and innocent!" she said and smiled weakly "Her life had only just began! I mean she was 11. 11!" Harri sighed. "But shes gone, and I have to remember her always but I have to move on!" she sighed sounding extremly confused. "And I'm confused about how I'm feeling and why I'm feeling it!" she added looking to Kiera as if she had all the answers.

Kiera listened thoughtfully as Harriet talked. She smiled happy that her friend was doing better. Kiera knew all the thoughts Harri was having were normal after such a death. It was part of the healing. "Harri, I am proud of you because you are not falling to pieces. You are going through the grieving process. All of your feelings are normal for dealing with death." Kiera said softly.

Harri smiled "Thanks!" she whispered and continued gazing up at the stars "Do you think she really is up there watching over me?" she asked finally breaking her gaze with the stars. Everyone kept telling her this but she wasn't sure if it was true or not.

Harri smiled her face still contorted with confusion "I don't know!" she said finally and shook her head "I mean I'd love to think so!"she paused and smiled before continuing "People tell me she is, but how can she be? Shes dead, shes not here any more!" she said weakly. "I want her to be, but she has much more important people in her life!" she said, she knew it probably sounded odd that she still spoke about Emmas life in present tense but she couldn't bring herself to speak of her best friend in past tense. Because Emma wasn't her past, she was Harri's present and always would be.

Cecily paused on her way to the castle from the Greenhouses. She saw faint movement from the Garden and went to check it out. She wondered if students were out of bed after curfew. Silently she walked up until she saw two first year girls appearing to be camping out. Oh dear. She was indecisive for a few moments, not wanting to ruin their fun but knowing she had to enforce the school rules for their safety. Especially with what had happened with Andromeda the last time a student had been out after hours.

"Good evening, ladies," she said softly.

Harri jumped slightly as she heard someone approach. She knew she wasn't supposed to be out after curfew but had assumed she would get away with it. She turned around her eyes beginning water from the thought of Emma "Erm Hi Professor Rambolt!" she said quietly, quickly trying to rid the tears from her face.

"I'm sorry to be a wet blanket, however curfew ended a while ago. You'll have to continue this in your common room." Her brow furrowed in concern as Miss Turner began crying. "Are you alright?"

"Erm okay!" Harri said and attempted a smile "Erm yeah, I'm fine. Just erm, erm." Harri stuttered standing up, hardly anyone knew about Emma and she wasn't sure if she wanted to share it with anyone else. "Happy Birthday Emma." she whispered, she was unsure whether anyone heard her or not.

Cecily reached into her robes pockets and came away with the packet of Wu Yi tea. She came forward and pressed it into the girl's hand gently. "Why don't you two return to your common room, brew some of this tea and spend a relaxing night in?" she said quietly, sensing the girl's grief. "It's late, no one should be up still hopefully."

Harri smiled gently "thanks Professor!"she said quielty "And sorry for being up after curfew." she stuttered.

"It's alright, no harm, no foul. I won't deduct points tonight, just a friendly warning," she said gently with a soft smile on her face. "Have a good night ladies," she said, turning to return to the castle, knowing they would be following. She wanted to get to her rooms herself to catch up on much needed sleep.

Kiera was about to reply to Harriet when someone walked towards them. She smiled at Professor Rambolt. She knew that they were out past curfew. Kiera nodded her head as a reply. Kiera saw that the Professor could see Harriet's grief. "Yes ma'am. Sorry for being out too late." she said to Professor Rambolt.

"Thanks Professor!" Harri said, glad they wouldn't be loosing any points. "Come on Kiera." Harri said pulling up her sleeping abg and othere belongings.

"Yes please!" Harri said and handed over some of the stuff "It was a silly idea to think I could have slept out here, it's freezing." she said feeling her tears turning icy on her cheeks.

Harri smiled "They are indeed!" she said, drying her face. "I'm glad we didn't get in trouble!" she said and shook the tea bags the Professor had given them.

Kiera grinned. "Me too! We got lucky it was Professor Rambolt who found us and not another Professor." she said. Kiera looked at the teabags. They smelled good. "Why dont we go back to the common room and brew that tea?" she asked.

"Sounds like a good idea!" she said, hugging her sleeping bag tight as they walked upto the castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back