Burning the Midnight Oil (Third Years Only!)

Brian Getathorn XIX

OOC First Name
Brian
Wand
Ebony Wand 15" Essence of Phoenix Talon
It was late and Brian was a bit tired but had skipped dinner to work on his transfiguration essay and would not be able to get a wink of sleep unless he got something to eat. So he set out to do something that he'd never done before, sneak out of the Ravenclaw Dorm and get some food from the kitchens. As he made his way out of the commonroom he scolded the fact that it appeared the House Elves had already arrived and cleaned up the area, he'd wished he could've found one since they would've been more than willing to just bring him up something. Walking towards the door in his slippers and blue shirt and sweat pants Brian tried to be as silent as he could. "Lumos" Brian whispered as he made his way into the depths of Hogwarts, it was days like today he wished he was a Hufflepuff since they were located closest to the Kitchens, even the Slytherins had it easy being in the dungeons.

It seemed like Gryffindor's and Ravenclaw's had to prove their worth as they were located farther away. Brian made his way towards the Kitchens his stomach growling slightly overtaking his normal sense of rightness as he told a nearby painting to hush. Ignoring the local paintings and their grumbling Brian moved silently as a cat hoping not to run into any of the Professors. After what felt like a century he finally saw what was the outline of the kitchens "yes!" Brian whispered jubilantly as he made his way towards the doors, more than ready to beg the local elves for something to eat whatever it may be.

Andrew woke up rubbing his eyes.It was about half past eleven in the night.He remembered to have fallen asleep doing his homework for Astronomy.Suddenly he realised how hungry he felt.He had not eaten anything since twenty four hours.He had last eaten yesterday night and skipped today's lunch because he was not hungry and now he realised that how weak he felt due to that fact.

He put on a cloak and washed his face.Tucking his wand into his pocket he walked out of teh Slytherin common room like maybe every three nights when he wandered around the castle.He was so used to dark that he could see clearly without the need of any lights.He knew each and every corner of the dungeons, the path to the great hall, as well as the kitchens.

The little strength he head carried him to the kitchens and he entred it.Seeing many houseeleves whose heads turned to him, he smiled a sleepy smile.He walked to one of them who had helped him three days ago when he was having the same situation as today."Um hi, I need to eat, Can you get me something?"he asked politely.

"Of course, dear sir, what a privilage it is for me."he said and with a pop he made food appear that filled all the space he had around him."Anything else sir?"the elf asked with a bow.

"No,thankyou."Andrew replied and took a spoon of the baked potatoes.It was delicious.Just than he saw someone else entering the kitchens. He didn't care about any detentions, he was more than willing to get punishment as long as it gave him something to do.He was curious to know who it was.

Rubbing her eyes, Violet snuck out of bed and out of the common room, padding along the floor in a pair of old purple bed socks. It was hard sharing a dorm with two prefects sometimes...she was sure she would've been reprimanded even though her roommates, Lemina and Rhyspa, were both really nice people. As a prefect herself, she was expected to keep to the rules. But tonight, she just couldn't sleep. And she was hungry. Normally she would've taken a stash of chocolates and cookies to school after a break. However, she only had brownies that she had been owled for her birthday, and she'd already finished those (after sharing them at her mini party with Andy, Angus, Rhyspa and Lemina). Her mother had made Violet her winter project, of course. There was the hair dye, the gym sessions, the wardrobe change...as her mother had said, "Violet, you're about to turn fourteen, I think you need to look more grown up. And you need to stop eating so much." Certainly, she had managed to lose a lot of weight recently. But having to study Arithmancy tonight meant that she'd only had a small amount of dinner. And despite all her mother's warnings about moderation and the like, she was still hungry.
So, for reasons unknown to her, Violet was making her way down to the kitchens, to see if she could grab something to eat. It was times like these she wished she knew invisibility spells.
As she approached the entrance to the kitchens (Angus had told her where they were), she heard someone whisper something. Violet suppressed a gasp. Someone else? she thought, worried. Maybe it was a wayward first or second year, and she'd pretend she was on patrol and give them a telling off before sending them back to their dorm. "Ahem," she said, quietly, as she shone the torchlight of her wand towards where the sound was coming from.

Brian thought he hear the sound of the elves coming from inside the kitchens, he was thankful for this since it meant that he wouldn't be waking them up. Brian was hungry but would've felt very bad if he interrupted someone's sleep, even if they were elves. Brian was a moment away from entering the sanctuary of delights when he heard something that made his heart groan as well as his stomach. Someone was behind him, Brian didn't want to turn around as he felt frozen onto the spot. He'd been caught and now would get into trouble, something he knew wasn't fair at all. Pleanty of other students had snuck around the school late at night and of course the one night he decides to do it Bam! Caught by the Man! If Brian wasn't full of instictive dread he'd felt annoyed by this little fact. Turning around Brian was a bit shocked to see that it was the man at all, it was a girl he had classes with; Violet.

Brian had never had any problems with Violet before but then again he didn't know her too well either which meant that he really couldn't count out that she would let him go. "Hi, Violet" Brian said a bit sheepishly "bit late huh? Transfiguration homework made me skip out on dinner so thought I'd just grab a quick bite before bed, how are you?" Brian asked trying to see if she would be willing to have a conversation and forget that they were both out late at night, he wondered if Prefects were allowed out of bed this late at night? Not that he would judge but perhaps she was simply trying to do what he was doing, lot's of students got hungry at night wasnt' really a crime to satisfy a basic need after all they were all growing up and that took alot of energy and food.

It seemed to Andrew that the kitchen door was open and he heard someone talk.Means there were two or more people out there.Andrew thought that it would be appropriate to sit here and wait for whoever it was to come in.

Violet was rather shocked to see Brian - she hadn't seen him around much lately, excepting of course classes. "Oh, ummm, hi Brian," she responded, her voice a whisper. This was hard. On one hand, there was her duty as a prefect to tell him off. But on the other hand, Brian was a classmate...and plus, he was smart. He would realise that by telling him off, she would be a hypocrite. "Um, well, to tell you the truth, it's the same here...but with Arithmancy homework," she explained, grinning sheepishly. "You, um, haven't seen anyone else around, have you?" she asked, a little worried, hoping she wouldn't be caught. ESPECIALLY not by a professor. "And yeah, I'm pretty good. But hungry, as you can guess," she laughed. "How are you?"

Brian was a bit relieved to see that she wasn't telling him off, he would have to be nicer to Violet in the future. He was even more relieved to know that she was in the same boat he was and that things were getting harder not just for him but for other students as well. "I haven't seen anyone" Brian said a bit sheepishly himself, if he had seen anyone else he probably wouldn't have had the nerve to make it this far. She made the comment about being hungry which made Brian laugh a bit as his stomach gave another groan for some reason he liked Violet's laugh and wondered why he didn't hang out with her more often. It had been three years and they barely spoke it was kind've sad when you thought about it but also made sense. They simply hung out with other people or else never found themselve in a situation outside classes where they would talk to each other.

Brian looked back at the kitchens "do you wanna join me in a snack?" Brian asked trying to be polite but also wanting to get somewhere with a bit more cover before anyone else decided to show up. He didn't care too much if it was another student, well as long as it wasn't a Slytherin they'd probably just try and set Violet and him up to get a detention and since Violet was a Prefect she would get it worse. Brian opened the door and was more than a bit shocked for the second time to discover that someone else was around besides the busy little elves.

"Now, you know I ought to report you for this...but I won't, as long as you don't tell," she whispered, suppressing a laugh while attempting to play the role of prefect. She knew she wouldn't make a good prefect. She could set a decent example for younger students most of the time...but she wasn't usually willing to tell anybody off. Although, at this time of night, any wayward 1st or 2nd years would have had reason to fear, she felt.

Violet smiled as Brian offered for her to join. "Sure thing," she said with a grin, as she peeked inside the kitchen door...and was very surprised to see Andrew. "What is this, a party of third years?" she asked very quietly, eyebrows raised in incredulity. She knew they'd be in for it big time if they were caught. She just hoped that no Professors would get hungry.

Andrew saw Violet and Brian enter the kitchens.He raised an eyebrow questioning to himself if they were dating each other because no other reason made sense to him for them to be wandering alone at this time of night.

He knew Violet was a prefect but wasn't scared of it because he was sure if he had been in Violet's place he wouldn't hand her in and so would she.Afterall they also worked in the same store."Hey Violet, Hi Brian.The kitchen seems a hangout for third years dosent it?"he asked with a grin.

"You guys wanna eat, I am pretty hungry myself but unfortunately Zuka's tower is too high for her to accompany me here"he said suddnely remembering that it hadn't been a good thing to mention her infront of Brian, maybe she wouldn't have liked that.

Brian was a bit shocked to see Andrew but decided that satisfying his hunger was more important than being annoyed that Slytherin of the Year Andrew was around, Brian honestly didn't know what Zazuka saw in him but had decided that it was her choice even if he knew she would regret it. He didn't really care too much who she dated but it would've been nice if she'd gone for a nice Hufflepuff or maybe even a Gryffindor. A house elf came by smiling at the three "ooo! a party!?" the Elf asked in a squeky tone yet it also seemed to be excited at the prospect of throwing a midnight party. "Uh... no, we just came down for a little snack this is just a coincident" Brian tried to explain as the look of joy slithly withered on the elf, Brian noticed that another elf in the back had brought out a few streamers and party hats and could tell he was disheartened more by the lack of jubilation.

Brian decided to make a mental note that elves were weird but also wanted something to eat "do you have any leftovers from dinner?" Brian asked the elf politely. "Of course not!" the elf said shocked "but don't worry young master we'll have something fresh for you in no time!" the Elf said as it bolted away leaving the three of them in a kinda silent atmosphere that Brian couldn't really stand even though he was with people he didn't really know "so how's classes going?" Brian said out loud but it was mostly towards Violet as he really didn't care to much which classes Andrew was probably cheating in.

Andromeda was no stranger to the kitchens, the professors had never minded the fact that she felt compelled to go late at night. Always putting it down to her more basic 'animal' nature, whatever it was she really didn't care. It meant she got to go in peace down to the kitchens when others were shut up in bed. The elves were well used to her, at least they had been before she got taken out of school the year before. As she approached the entry way to the kitchen she heard a noise, voices. Rolling her eyes, she wondered if she would have to use her prefect status just to clear whoever it was out so she could tuck in but when she entered the kitchen and saw some fellow third years she merely smiled.
"Now do I have to use my badge of power and sent you lot packing or is it ok to join you?" she yawned goodnaturedly. The house elf who accompanied her to the cavern on her changes stepped forward and bowed his head to her.

"Same as usual Miss"

"Warthon its ok, I can fend for myself" she yawned again but she knew it made no difference as he set off to make her a very rare steak sandwich with a glass of milk. Andromeda sat at one of the stools at the trestle table and rubbed her eyes.
"So you're all feeling hungry at this ungodly hour, is it just a third year thing then?"

Violet nodded, a little overwhelmed. "Classes are good...stressful, though," she explained, in response to Brian. "This late night expedition will teach me to take four electives," she sighed, rolling her eyes. As far as she knew, Zazuka was the only other person doing her ridiculously heavy course load - except she was taking Care of Magical Creatures instead of Muggle Studies. "I'm guessing we're all pretty stressed out, am I right?" she asked, taking a seat at the trestle table and noting the awkwardness and hostility between Brian and Andrew. She wasn't exactly sure why - although she knew Brian did seem to take the house divisions very seriously, and because of that probably very much disliked Slytherins. As for Violet, her brother was a Slytherin, and Andrew worked at Madam Malkin's with her, so she didn't really mind. Violet shrugged, and then almost burst out laughing as Andy walked in, having to quickly slap her hands over her mouth to contain the noise. "Oh my," she muttered, shaking with suppressed laughter. "Is there some sort of third year party, or something?" she asked with a raised eyebrow, extremely amused. "Perhaps they charmed us to feel hungry at the exact same time of night?" she suggested as a joke. "But we are in for it bad if they catch us," she giggled, now desperately hoping that no Professors would get hungry.

Andrew wasn't a bit suprised from the way Brian reacted towards him, he had actually expected it to be worse.Maybe if Andrew had been in Brian's place he wouldn't have ignored Zuka's crush on him."Violet how many electives did you take?"he asked her out of curiosity.

Than out of no where Andy arrived.This had to be somekind of plan maybe in which Andrew had just stumbled across.But when Andy said it was just hunger at the same time Andrew was suprised at the coincidence. "I surely hope they do, I am bored. I didn't have any detentions since I joined hogwarts"Andrew complained laughing at the joke at the same it was the truth. He wouldn't mind a third year detention, only if the rest would agree.

"you want detention?" Brian said in a shocked voice "let me guess, you also want us all to cost our house some points. That's what's gonna happen if we're caught down here late at night specially Hufflepuff and Gryffindor" Brian said to Andrew sizing him up to be some sort've nutter. To his surprise the Elves were back in a flash with all types of different delights that resembled a mini feast, Brian wondered if the smell might attract any wondering Professors into coming in for a bite but at the loud sound of his stomach decided it would be best to worry about that later.

"It is a bit of a coincident, that a member of each house is down here and that we're all in the same year. There's no way a professor would believe that this wasn't planned" Brian said as he began eating part of a turkey leg. The thought was indeed true and would probably cause Violet to panic, Brian was a bit worried since she had never gotten into trouble before. Andy was the definition of late night trouble and Andrew.... well Andrew was a Slytherin which meant that if someone didn't get maimed at the end of the day, he was being a good boy. "I say we eat and return to our common rooms before we're busted, Andrew you go right ahead and get caught!" Brian added with a bit of sarcasim.

"Four electives," she said in response to Andrew. "Everything but Care of Magical Creatures." She grabbed a drink of pumpkin juice and sipped it, smiling at the assembled group behind her glass. Unfortunately, she ought to have expected tension between Brian and Andrew. She knew Brian hated Slytherins - which is why she was glad he hadn't met her brother - but didn't expect anything like this to happen. "I can't believe you would want a detention. I haven't had a detention and I certainly do not plan on starting now," she muttered, but stopped, biting her lip. If I hadn't wanted to get in trouble, I shouldn't have come down here. She gazed at her feet, not saying anything else, but not moving, either. If they get in trouble, then I should most certainly get in trouble too. I deserve it more, I'm a prefect, I should have done something to prevent this. She scowled slightly at Brian's reactions to Andrew, but didn't say anything. She didn't want this to end in a fight. It would be bad enough if it ended in detentions.

Andromeda was tired and extremely hungry, her temperment did not improve when those about her were beginning to snap. She looked wearily from Brian to Andrew, sizing up the situation before rolling her eyes skyward. Smiling at Warthon as he placed a large glass of milk and her steak sandwich infront of her and then disappearing, Andromeda turned once more to the others. She wouldn't get into much trouble at all for being here but the fact that she was here with three other students might be seen in a different light.
"Could the two of you go back to your corners and wait for the bell before coming out fighting, please" she smiled weakly, "Just eat your grub and head back as quick as you can or if you're really worried just take whatever food is here back to your dorms right now. No one has been caught yet, so we all still have a chance."
She couldn't help but wink at Violet though.
"Detention isn't so bad really at least not the kind I used to get here".

Andrew frowned at Brian for his coward reply of being scared of detentions.One could always earn house points if they really knew how to do it, than it wouldn't matter if they lost some."Thats a lot of subjects.How do you keep up?"he asked Violet ignoring Brian's comments.

"When did you used to get detentions, Andy?"he asked her wondering.She must have gotten them in first year as she wasnt here in her second, he thought trying to remember if he had anything such.

Andromeda laughed at Andrews surprise.
"In first year I was a bit of a tearaway, well not really but I had this mad passion for flying and couldn't resist going out one night and ended up getting caught. It was really gas. Professor King was an absolute ace about it and all I had to do in the end was an entire days work with Groundskeeper Willie. Don't get me wrong it was hard slog but I was used to working like that after living on a farm all my life" she smiled over at Brian before turning to the others, "Brian has always been competitive about house points, so don't take it personally or anything, I think if we get caught the ones they'll come down hard and heavy on will be the prefects here".
She didn't want to tell them that she was more or less allowed these night time tristes of hers, her appetitie around this time of the month was insatiable.

Mike couldnt sleep.He didnt know why, but after an hour or so of lying there Mike got up. Mike lef tthe dormitory, and done something that he shouldnt of. He left the common room after curfew. Mike was going to go to the prefects Common room, but decided against it. Instead he wandered down to the lower floors, and clasped eyes on the kitchen. Mike apporached the door with caution, incase of any teachers lurking by. Mike was shocked to hear voices, and so was about to sneak back upstairs, but he recognised Andy's voice. Mike opened the doorm to see Andy, and 2 other lads and Violet. He handn't really got to know, of course they were in his lessons, but he hadn't really met them outside of lessons. "Hey guys"Mike said smiling. "Hope Im not intruding?" He asked.

Violet tightly pressed her hands against her mouth, trying to suppress her laughter. She took a seat, her body shaking with the effort. "Oh, my God," she spluttered. "This is so weird," she added, once she'd calmed down a little. "Three prefects and we're still breaking the rules," she explained, in acknowledgement of Mike. She quickly grabbed a drink to try and look more calm and collected. The side of her that wanted to stick to the rules wanted to leave right away, but the Hufflepuff side of her was going to stay and get in trouble (or, hopefully not) with the others. That was what a friend would do, right?

Brian took a large bite of his Turkey sandwhich and said hello to Mike as he entered "The more the merrier as long as you know how to keep a secret" Brian said with a slight glance at Andrew realising that as a Slytherin he was most likely going to try and auction off any secretes he could to the highest bidder, Slytherins were evil plain and simple. Sometimes Brian didn't know what other people were thinking when they hung out with the future Ministry's Most Wanted group. Brian was very much hungry though and continued taking bites enjoying the House Elves wonderfull work making sure to thank them as the popped in and out with other things.

"Sure I can" Mike said to Brian and "Andy and Violet Im shocked fellow prefects breaking the rules" Mike said jokingly. Mike went over helping himself to some pumpkin juice. "So how long have you guys been in here?" Mike said hoping that a Professor wouldn't catch them anytime soon. How embarrassing would that be, they have given me responsibilty when making me prefect and now Im breaking the rules. Although they might always take into acocunt, I haven't been in trouble before Mike said to himself.

"Believe me, Mike, you aren't as shocked as me," Violet drawled, reaching for an apple. "Um...we haven't been here that long, have we?" she asked innocently, looking around at the others. "Probably too long but hopefully not." She snorted with laughter. "Guess we should go back soon, hey?" she asked calmly, despite her slight panic. I absolutely refuse to get caught!

"Hmm we could go back, soon, but whats the point in that, really?" I mean we may aswell stay a little longer" Mike said not really not knowing to say back" so he helped himself to a custard slice. "Have you ever been in trouble before?" he asked her.

Violet shook her head. "Never. I have a spotless record...both here and at my muggle primary school," she admitted, with a mixture of pride and self-consciousness. "I certainly don't plan on tarnishing that record," she added, taking another bite out of her apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back