Branching Out

Veronica Willows

OOC First Name
Kathy
Wand
Polished 9 1/2 Inch Swishy Dogwood Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
After her bout of sickness last semester Veronica's parents had made her promise them something that might have seemed kind of silly for any other child to make sure they did once in a while, but for Veronica would probably amount to a bit of a challenge with her scattered and ever-changing focus - going outside to breathe in the fresh air. She knew it wasn't really a method of keeping her healthy, but she did recognise that some sunshine might be good for her now and again (as long as it wasn't the kind that would get her burnt). Truthfully, she was sure her parents had hoped she wouldn't bring all her books and papers out with her as well, but that aspect of things was just slightly too hard for Veronica to commit to all the way. She had compromised though, and had only brought out one book - a fantasy one, the latest in one of the series she greatly enjoyed. She was sure her parents couldn't have brought themselves to be too unhappy about it if they had known.

She wasn't quite sure where she wanted to sit to read this book, though. Veronica's excursions outside always seemed to paired with her friend Phoebe, either heading to lessons or carrying out some experiment that the other girl had decided she needed to try the very moment she had thought of it. Veronica supposed she wanted somewhere quiet, somewhere shaded - but as she wandered along, she caught sight of someone else she recognised. Sara looked up just in time for the two to make eye-contact, and with a smile Veronica waved to the other girl. "Hello!" She picked her way over to sit beside Sara and placed the book on her lap, though she kept it closed. "Are you busy? I was just going to read my book, so I wouldn't be too much bother if you are." Veronica tilted the cover towards the other girl slightly. "Look, it's not even a textbook, or non-fiction at all - it kind of feels weird for me to not be studying yet." Her attempt at humour was enough to make herself chuckle softly, but she wasn't sure if it was enough to be funny for Sara. Jokes had never really been Veronica's thing.

Sara had organised her schedule as soon as she saw what her school timetable was going to be like. She needed to do well and prove to her parents what a great scholar she could be. It wasn't that her parents didn't believe in her true potential or that they didn't encourage the young Slytherin, because Sara received a lot of support from home, it was more the fact that she had promised to show them that the wizarding world wasn't actually so bad or difficult to get used to. Despite the Spanish-Italian already being in her third year, she was still getting the 'talk' about whether she felt like she belonged. Sara had made friends and she was determined not to give up on them, or the world she was growing very fond of.

Therefore the Slytherin had ultimately decided that she would read in her favourite place today - outside. Or well, rather than being on the grounds like she always tried to be, the courtyard didn't seem to be too overcrowded and it was outside enough for the girl to spend her time. Her free time. Sara glanced up as in the corner of her eye she spotted a moving figure and as soon as she saw who it was her face brightened and she waved Veronica over, making some sure there was enough space for the Ravenclaw to sit next to her. "Hey, no I'm not! You're not bothering me. I'm glad about the company, actually." She closed the book and as her new friend continued to speak she eyed the book she was holding, curious. She laughed at Veronica's last few words. "I've been taking it easy today, though I did promise my parents I'll try harder. What book is that?" she asked, indicating to the novel that wasn't her own.

Veronica was glad to see that Sara wasn't bothered by her barely announced arrival and her smile widened from its previous shy status. "Oh, it's... um, have you heard of the Willowstone series? It's the newest one - I'm not very far in, but I like it so far." She smiled down at the book and tapped her fingers lightly across the front, then turned back to Sara. "Is yours good? I probably shouldn't distract myself with more books, but..." Veronica tucked an escaped strand of hair back with a small shrug. "I like studying, it's just I'd forgotten how nice it is to read without stopping to take notes every second." She didn't even just do this with studying lately, she had begun taking notes relating to her experiments with new invention projects. She paused for a moment. "Are you excited about your electives? Which ones did you choose?" The new classes were sort of strange for Veronica, mostly because for the first time she and Phoebe were going to be split up because of their different choices. It would be nice to see if Sara was taking any of the same ones.

When Veronica mentioned the title of the book series she was reading, Sara raised an eyebrow, before she hesitantly and regretfully shook her head. As much as the girl loved to read, she didn't have the knowledge of all the books in the world, unfortunately. "I have not, actually. What's it about?" The third year was always willing to read new stuff, despite her hardly having read any fantasy - if that was what the Willowstone series even were. She nodded at the Ravenclaw‘s question. "Yep," she said, popping the ‘p‘. "I‘m reading mystery. It‘s an Agatha Christie book. She‘s a really good writer." She chuckled, thinking it funny how much in common her and Veronica actually had. She was like that too, when it came to studying. "I know right? I feel like my head will explode any moment with how much information is in here," she grinned, tapping the side of her forehead with her index finger. "I guess so," she replied when she was asked about her electives. "I chose Transfiguration, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. You take Potions as well, don't you?" Because now that Sara thought about it she remembered her friend taking Pendleton‘s class as well. It would kind of be awkward if Veronica didn't take Potions and Sara had assumed so with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back