Best Friend Birthdays

Leia Evans

OOC First Name
Elphaba
Wand
Myrtle Wand, 15 1/2", Tail of Charmed Newt
[Okay so we're going to pretend it's still the end of November. :p ]

Leia woke up on November 30, 2022 knowing very well that it was her birthday, but most importantly, today was one of her best friend's birthdays as well, Noah Esquire. She didn't remember how they had gotten into the subject of birthdays but ever since she had found out that they had the same birthday, she knew she'd never ever forget his birthday. Normally Leia spent her free time studying or practicing or something for her extra-curriculars, however this morning the first year Hufflepuff could be found in the kitchens making mini-cupcakes for the special celebration. Leia was only officially twelve, so she didn't know how to bake so in reality, the house elves had done all the work though she had begged them to let her put the frosting on them (her favorite part) that way she could feel like she had at least done something. Since she was a Hufflepuff and he (as well as all her other best friends) was a Ravenclaw, she had made half the cupcakes with yellow frosting and the other half with blue frosting.

Once she was finally done, Leia carefully placed the mini-cupcakes in a certain order on a large plate and when she stepped back "Happy Birthday Noah" was written clearly across the cupcakes, one letter on each mini-cupcake while little hearts and stars decorated the leftover cupcakes surrounding it. She thanked the house elves about a million times for helping her out and rushed up to her dorm room to shower and get dressed into a green dress. She left her hair hanging down loosely into their natural curls, she didn't have time to mess with it and was thankful that no matter what she did it always seemed to look nice, radiant and shiny. She knew it was lunch time so Noah should be going into the Great Hall that day so she grabbed the tray of mini-cupcakes and headed out to Ravenclaw table and set them down as she waited for him. In her purse was a small box wrapped in gold wrapping paper, his birthday gift.

Noah was in no way an earlybird. It was unusual for him to be awake early, and he usually had to jump up and run off to breakfast in the mornings. But today, he had too much on his mind to sleep for long. Firstly, it was his 12th birthday. His third year of double figures, and just one year until he was a teenager. He'd always loved birthdays, so this was going to be a cool day. Also, it was Leia's birthday. Noah had taken the time to get her a really nice gift, something that he hoped she would like. He also planned on asking her to the Yule Ball.

Because of all of these things, Noah couldn't sleep very deeply. After lying in bed for what felt like forever, he was extremely thankful when the sun finally rose. Trying to get ready without disturbing his still-sleeping dormmates, Noah grabbed his glasses. He couldn't be bothered wearing contacts today, it wasn't like he would be running around or whatever. After getting ready in a green v-neck and dark skinny jeans, he went back over to his bed. Pulling open the top drawer, Noah lifted out a small black box, tied with a silver bow. He ran a hand over it quickly, making sure it wasn't dusty or anything. After adjusting the bow about a million times, he turned swiftly, and headed out the door.

With the box still in his hands, Noah wandered aimlessly through the halls. He wasn't hungry just yet, so he'd be skipping breakfast. There was always time to eat at lunch and dinner. Maybe he could search for Leia, and give her the present? No.. he had to prepare himself first. He always got awkward around her, so he would need time to practise what he was going to say. It would be embarassing, definitely, but something he had to do. If Noah didn't ask Leia to the Yule Ball, and watched her go off with some other guy.. and then maybe go out with that guy, and even possibly marry that guy.. then.. well, let's just say that Noah would regret it deeply, for many years to come. Okay, maybe that was all a silly thought.. but he had always had a mind like that.

Making his way through the hall and out to the gardens, he sat down on a bench. Closing his eyes, Noah felt the sun on his face. Writing a little song in his head, he let his mind wander. He thought about anything and everything, although it mostly lead back to Leia. Thinking was his favourite way to kill time, and it was a good form of meditation. Although some found it odd, Noah was always a hippy at heart. After walking around a bit more, and doing a few other random tasks, it was finally time for lunch.

Pushing through the doors back into the castle, Noah made his way through to the Great Hall. He was a bit hungry now, especially after skipping breakfast. His eyes moved over to the Ravenclaw table, searching for a free seat. As he took a step towards a seat next to a dark-haired girl, he noticed that she had a large tray in front of her. Not trying to be nosy, Noah couldn't help but look at what the letters on top of them said. Happy Birthday.. Noah? he thought, wondering if they were meant for some other Noah. It was a strange coincedence though. He didn't really know many people well, especially girls, so he doubted anyone would go to the trouble of making them for him. Yep, must be a different Noah.

Stepping closer to the girl, he cleared his throat quietly. "Excuse me, is this seat ta-" he began, turning so that he could actually see her face now. "Leia!" Noah grinned, over-enthusiastically as always. "Happy birthday!! You look- like an awesome person!" he blurted, just stopping himself from saying 'you look very pretty'. "And plus you look very pretty!" he finished, mentally slapping himself. "Umm.. this is for you," Noah said with a smaller smile, trying to regain his cool. He held the black box out to her, taking a seat on the bench.

(( Don't open it until the end of the thread, remember :p ))

Leia had only been sitting at the Ravenclaw table for a few minutes, ignoring the weird stares she was getting, probably from the fact that she wasn't in their house and she was sitting at their table but Leia tried not to mind them, she was so used to the staring back in New York, she hardly even noticed it anymore. The Hufflepuff rummaged through her purse for Noah's present and had only just pulled it out when she heard someone addressing her beside her. She turned to reply to the person before she realized it was Noah, right as he realized it was her. "Noah!" she cried out, getting up from her seat and hugging him excitedly. "Happy birthday!" she said in her musical voice, giggling a little at the crazy coincidence of their birthdays being on the same day.

Leia smiled and said, "Thanks," when Noah said she looked awesome, and pretty. "You don't look so bad yourself," she teased. When Noah held out a small box for her, a pink tint rose on the Veela girl's cheeks as she muttered a "thanks." "This is for you," she replied, holding out a small gold box for him. She was afraid to open his gift just because she thought hers was rather lame and she didn't want him to think she didn't care enough to buy him something cool. She bit her lip momentarily before saying, "I made you cupcakes!" just so she could stall on opening their gifts for a little while longer. "Well, not just me, I had help," she admitted with a soft chuckle.

Noah was slightly taken aback when Leia hugged him, but he smile and hugged her back anyway. Sure, she hugged him pretty much every time they saw each other, but he still wasn't used to it. Back home everyone was so standoffish.. and he was still really surprised by the warmth he received at Hogwarts. Yeah, there were a couple of nasty people.. but the majority were great, especially Leia. "Ha! Isn't it creepy that our birthdays are the same day?" Noah said, thinking that it was a really cool coincidence. He obviously would never forget her birthday.

As he handed Leia the present, he noticed her turn pink. So as not to embarass her, he didn't say anything. But funnily enough, Noah did the same thing when she gave him a gift in return. "Aw, you didn't have to get me anything," he said with a bright smile. "But thanks, that's nice of you.." he took the box gently, and placed it in front of him on the table. He'd open it in a few minutes, not just yet.

Noah grinned as Leia told him about the cupcakes. It was such a nice thing to do for someone, and it made him happy to know that the someone, was him. "Oh, those are for me too? Thanks! I had thought it was some other Noah.. that happened to have the same birthday," Noah laughed appreciatively, his smile widening even more.. if that was physically possible. He hadn't expected anyone to go to the trouble of getting him a gift, and making him cupcakes.. and he was genuinely surprised. Maybe twisted self-esteem was something that ran in family.. or he'd picked it up since moving in with his cousin.. Either way, what Leia had done had totally made his otherwise boring day.

Leia laughed lightly as she brushed her bangs out of her face and said, "No not creepy, cool!" and stuck her tongue out at him playfully. When he said he thought the cupcakes were for another Noah with the same birthday she raised her eyebrows in disbelief and replied, "Really, you really think there would be another Noah with the same birthday who happens to be in Ravenclaw?" she teased him as she gave him a light push on his arm. "Maybe I should've added an 'E' for 'Esquire'," Leia added in jest, holding her gift from him carefully in her hands. "Which reminds me!" she said excitedly as she took a seat again, "Guess what?" she asked rhetorically. "I know who your cousin is," she continued without waiting for him to reply, a smug look on her face. She remembered the time they were at the lake sitting in a tree and she had told him she'd figure out who his older cousin was without his help, and she actually had.

"Yeah, cool!" Noah agreed, laughing happily. So far, this was turning out to be a really nice birthday. Sure, he hadn't heard a word from his father, and only a quickly written card from his mother, but everything else was pretty awesome. He laughed again when she teased him about the cupcake thing, and turned a little red with embarassment.

"Cousin? Oh right, her," Noah said, shaking his head slightly. For a moment, he'd forgotten that there were actually other people alive. "Um yeah.. she's in your band, or something, isn't she?" he said, trying to place his finger on it. Band, team, one of those things. The talk of his cousin reminded Noah of something else.. The Yule Ball. Vivienne had been harping on about it for ages: 'oh it's so pretty, with all this snow and ice and stuff. But guess what? It's not cold! Ha, it's awesome- OMG you have to ask someone to be your date! What about that Leia girl you told me about? She seems nice! Ask her, okay?' etc etc.

But to be honest, he'd been thinking about it far before Vivienne brought it up. Noah had wanted to ask Leia long ago, actually. However, he could never muster up the courage to spit it out. But now, seemed like the perfect opportunity. Should he just ask her straight out? No.. Noah thought it would be much more sensible to throw it casually into the conversation, and see where it headed. "So.. um.. have you.. are you looking forward to the Ball thing? The Yule.. Ball thing?" he said awkwardly, before giving a slight cough into his arm.

"Yeah we're in the same band," Leia said with a bright smile, still glad that she had made the band. Noah had also started his own band and part of her wished she would've joined his instead, but she liked being in Sam's band so she was just completely fine.

When Noah brought up the Yule Ball, Leia giggled and her smile grew wider. Of course she had been thinking about it, since Halloween in fact! "Yeah I'm looking forward to it!" she replied. "My mother already sent me one of her dresses, it's sooo pretty but now I just need to find the shoes to go with it! And I don't know what I'm going to do with my hair, I want to put it up but my mom always says it doesn't look good so maybe I shouldn't, and then there's the concept of dates," she rambled, then faltered when it came to dates. She didn't have one yet, and was still hoping that Kaleb would ask her. The two were supposed to go on a date once previously though he had stood her up again. As Kaleb was, he charmed his way out of it and Leia fell for it once again. "Are you planning on going?" she asked Noah, completely oblivious to his nervousness in bringing the subject up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back