Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
too young
Wand
too young
Opehlia's choice to come to beauxbatons had been a few years in the making. She enjoyed what she was learning at Hogwarts and it was nice, but she'd decided it was time to explore the other schools, she knew her cousins in New Zealand had both gone to Hogwarts down there, but both were older than her and thus she had no incentive to try to get into there. But she could try her hand at beauxbatons, which had been her mother's school. The part-veela had to admit some things about it were already very fun, it was pretty, the uniforms were very formal comparatively to what she was used to and the lack of houses made it easier to interact with people. The girl had come to one of the social rooms, and was sitting with her books in front of her. Her french was fine, certainly she needed to work on parts of her written, but her spoken was fine. She had her french english dictionary and was referring to it at every occasion that she needed to. She'd yet to meet anyone interesting but perhaps time would tell with it.

Gemma couldn't believe it was her last year at Beauxbatons. It felt like she had been at school forever and could hardly remember what life was like away from it. But she couldn't help but feel ready for what came next. In some ways it felt like the next few months ahead of her were simply in the way and she just needed to get through them. That wasn't entirely true though. She still had exams, quidditch, and her writing for the school paper to keep up with but it all felt so easy and she was ready for more. But that didn't mean she didn't have work to do and was about to get started on some when she recognized one of the new girls on the quidditch team and she decided to join her. "Hi, mind if I join you?" she asked with a warm smile and caught sight of the dictionary on the table and quickly switched to English. "Having some trouble?" Gemma asked. "It can be a bit hard when you have to make the switch all at once." she added sympathetically. She had grown up speaking both and had lived in France for a few months before starting school which had helped immensely with her language skills.

Ophelia glanced up as one of the girls from the quidditch team joined her. Ophelia gave a little nod and then gave a little laugh, flicking her hair slightly as she put her hand on the dictionary that she had. "It's the spellings that are getting me," Ophelia explained. Her french had never been that bad, but just not up to the standard it needed to be at for her being at this school. "I grew up speaking french, I just never had to....use it all of the time," Ophelia explained with a little shrug. The part-veela knew she didn't need to go into much more detail than that. "How come you speak english?" Ophelia asked the girl, since this could also be a good opportunity to get to know the people around her.

Gemma laughed at the girl's answer but not in an unkind way. “I know.” she said with another laugh. “What’s with all those extra letters? If we don’t have to pronounce it, why is it there?” she said playfully and listened to Ophelia explain her problem. It was understandable. It was one thing to know a language in theory but to be immersed and use it every day was another. But she brightened when the other girl asked about how she knew English. “I was actually born in London and my dad is English.” she explained simply. “I grew up there but my mother is French and I grew up with both languages at home. And we visited my grandparents in Bordeaux a lot.” she added. “I think my parents always expected me to go to Beauxbatons like my mom so they would always give me books in French to help me practice.” Gemma leaned back in her chair and gave the other girl an inquisitive look. “Where are you from?” she asked, knowing she had transferred but nothing more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back