Beach Day

Sydney Kirkland

OOC First Name
!Mimi!
Wand
15" Ebony Wand With Essence of Phoenix Tallon
Sydney was happy that it was finally getting warmer. What did that mean? Well, she could finally go to the beach again. For as long as she could remember, the beach was her favorite place to be. It was where she would escape to when her brother was being mean, or she had a fight with a friend. No matter what she would always find herself back there. In fact, when she was fourteen, Sydney had actually spent a night at the beach. Sure, her mum was upset with her when she came back home, but it was worth it. Something about the waves was just so relaxing. Her mother let her take a break from school for a little bit. Why? Apparently, Sydney was working too hard. Now she would argue that, but she wouldn't turn down a free break! Now she was just enjoying the warm air and felt the ocean braze her toes as the tide got further out. The girl was totally, utterly, at peace. At the same time she had a feeling that something would happen today. Not anything that big, but still something.

Jack ran carelessly along the beach. He didn't really know where he was, just knew that he was in Oceania somewhere. His school were on a week break for the older students and the moment he had been out of the school grounds, he apparated to somewhere far away, somewhere to clear his mind and just think. He carried on running and glanced around at the surroundings. The sun was shining and the weather was warm enough to be out there. It was spring and it was slowly beginning to warm up. His tanned body glinted with the water from where he had just been swimming. He ran up the beach again and when he got to the end, turned around and did it again. Each lap was about half a mile and after 6 laps, he felt he needed a break. Jogging carelessly over to his bag which held his water bottle, he noticed a pretty girl near his stuff. He stopped running and walked to his bag. Pulling out his towel, he took a wild guess that she was a witch, seeing as she was so very close to the magical border. He smiled at her and wiped his hair. Flicking it to the side, he took out his bottle and had a long drink of the cool, refreshing water. It trickled down his throat, so refreshing that it made his throat go numb. Once he had taken enough to be able to talk properly, he turned his attention back to the girl for a minute or so, before replacing his bottle in his bag.

Sydney looked at the man a little carelessly. Another plus was that at the beach, there were men like Jack to look at and maybe make friends with. She usually wasn't one to hang out with girls, even if she was a very feminine person. Boys just had less drama and were a lot more relaxed. It was getting even warmer as time progressed, and Sydney (in complete desperation) took off her dress and tossed it aside, burying her feet in the sand and enjoying the fact that she could so easily relax in the swimsuit. Though in honesty she was surprised when the man jogged over; she hadn't even seen his things close to her. Well, possibly she had, but if she did she probably ignored it. She gave him a dorky, comical smile and then turned her attention back to the sea as he drank. After all staring at someone re-hydrating was a little awkward. Okay maybe not a little, very awkward. The waves were crashing and Sydney was actually regretting not bringing her surfboard with her. Well surfing wasn't that fun without her brother, it was entertaining to watch him try (and fail) over and over. Call her a little bit of a sadist, but it was one of her favorite things to do with him. That was how they bonded after all. Curiously, she looked back at the man after a little while, smiling shyly. "Nice weather, right?"

Jack smiled at the girl again. She brought up a small piece of general conversation and Jack smiled to himself. It was either that she was English, or that she didn't know what to say. As it happened, Jack also found himself with little to say suddenly. He smiled and nodded. "Yeh. S'ok." He added, as another awkward silence came up between the 2 of them. He stood there, looking out to the sea and smiled as the waves broke carelessly on top of each other, the froth pearly white and the whole effect one of fallen emeralds. He smiled and realised that he was probably becoming a little too poetic for his own liking. He turned again, planning to break the awkward silence. "Im Jack." He said, holding out his hand and having to laugh out loud at the formalness of the whole event. After another pause he smirked at the thought of how stupid he must look. "Sorry. Its not you. Promise. Im not use to discussing the weather." He said, realising how stupid he must sound. What he meant was that with the whole world topics out there, he always found it strange that people felt the need to discuss the weather around new people. In Jack's opinion, he couldn't think of anything more boring. It wasn't the girls fault, because normally the guy should speak first, but he still felt bad about laughing.

Sydney snorted softly and fixed her hair. It was clear that the other didn't have much to say, or that he wasn't very social at all. Either way it was sort of funny, and she was trying not to laugh. In honesty she felt like a dork for asking about the weather, but she never was good at starting conversations at all. It was something that her family hated, considering that they all were so outgoing an charismatic. As a small child she would be the one sibling that hung onto her father and didn't talk to people unless spoken to first. It was a bad habit, but a habit none the less. After going to school she had gotten better at it, but she still wasn't that good at initiating conversations with people. It was like a gift from heaven when he broke the silence for her, "I'm Sydney." She smiled and shook his hand, then smiled as he laughed. She didn't even care that he could be laughing at her, it was just funny that he laughed at shaking hands with someone. "Yeah, well I'm not very good at small talk for that matter." She laughed a little, rubbing her head out of embarrassment. Jack probably could've thought of a better starter for conversation, at least that was what she thought. It was just funny that it was so awkward between the two of them. Though it was nice to be in the company of someone.

Jack smiled again. He listened as she introduced herself. "Thats a nice name." He said, smiling as he told the truth. Normally, Jack wasn't one for complimenting people but today was different and he felt in a happier, lighter mood. So he smiled and payed her the compliment that she deserved. "Don't worry about the small talk. Neither am i." He said with a small laugh. Standing there, he looked out at the sea again and smiled, thinking how good his day had been so far. To top it all off, now he had the company of a pretty girl who seemed to have a nice character so far. "Do you live around here? Or are you on holiday?" He asked, his tone pleasant still as he tried to steer away from the small talk going but not into big conversations that would get them all stuck. He was ok with long talk and when people had a lot to say, but he wouldn't normally delve straight into a long conversation unless the other person did. He preferred to listen. Trying to think of nice, general questions that could get someone talking, he stood there and waited for her answer.

(OOC: Sorry, my muse is rubbish today :jesse: )

( OOC: Oh it's okay. ^_^ I can relate. )

Sydney smiled back at him, "Thanks, I like your name too." She was also relieved that he wasn't good at small talk either. After all it made her feel a little better about not being able to do it herself. His company was slowly becoming more enjoyable. And it was nice that he seemed to be a listener, which was refreshing to see in a guy. Usually the ones she hung out with would just talk and talk and talk, and Sydney would never get a single word into the conversation. Sure, it was okay to feel like people liked to talk to you, but they would talk at her. "Yeah, I go to boarding school.. My mom pulled me out for a little bit to wind down. But I do live near here too." She smiled fondly, "I have a house in Victoria, and then one in Sicily." She wasn't very fluent in Italian, but just enough so that she could carry on conversations with her extended family and then her brother if they needed to speak privately. Though doing that was terribly rude, so she often avoided doing that at any cost.

(OOC: Thanks :p )

Jack smiled and dipped his head quickly as an acknowledgement of the compliment. Although it followed his one and it was just the polite thing to do, Jack felt that he was more grateful for the time filler rather than just the compliment. He understood straight away that this girl would take coaxing to come out of her shell, but he wasn't really one to sweet talk the ladies if they were like that. "Oh right. What boarding school do you go to? And what year are you in?" He asked, trying to work out these answers as well as bring more to the conversation. He got the impression that she, or her family was quite rich to have a house in Oceania and Victoria and Sicily. Smiling, because he understood this, he thought about his family. They owned a string of muggle hotels in different places around the world. They ran it with his aunty and uncle as well but most of their money went to his cousin. And although Jack wouldn't ever tell Amy, he also occasionally topped up her gringotts account to make sure she had enough.

( OOC: Everyone has those days. xD )

"Beauxbatons, sixth year." Sydney felt unwise at that moment. Hopefully Jack was a wizard, otherwise a whole bunch of questions would follow her. Though something in her gut told her that he was in fact a magical being, maybe even part-veela. She did have a knack for telling that about someone. She always scanned the people she met, even if it caused annoyance or the person to be uncomfortable. "Where do you go to school? You don't exactly seem to be from around here." She had no idea if this was true, but guessed. After all not many people went to this beach and she hadn't ever seen him there. Everyone knew everyone. For example, the elderly lady sunbathing was named Lucille and she had five cats, two canaries, and that was all she would ever talk about. Sydney of course would be polite and listen, nod every so often, but she really could care less. At the same time it was interesting to hear how one of the cats actually escaped her house and ended up in Paris, but frankly it was tiring to hear that five times in the same hour.

Jack smiled at her response. To anyone else sitting around the area, there was a high chance that they didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Smirking slightly at the memory of the last time someone had told him that, and Jack had responded like any muggle would. 'where's that?' he would ask, watching as their faces froze with panic for revealing the hidden magical world. "No, im not from around here. I live in France and like you, i came here on a weekend/holiday. I go to Durmstrang and im in my 7th year. Its a long weekend and ever since i learnt to apparate, i have to escape, to get out of the country and continent." He said, stopping here for fear of spilling his life story to the poor girl and then boring her. She seemed very pretty, and someone who would be a good friend so hopefully, they would get along. He looked around the beach, wondering the exact whereabouts of where they were. He knew the basics, he was on a beach in Oceania, but the exact placing was unknown to Jack. That was the problem with apparating, he chose a destination by sight and not real knowledge.

How peculiar. The fact that Jack actually had something that he wanted to escape from something was almost humorous to Sydney. It wasn't that she just assumed things about him, but he did (as she observed) seem happy at first. What could a guy like that have going wrong for him? He was attractive, and also seemed funny and kind. People like that just never seemed to have a problem. They were always perfect, and their lives would always stay perfectly happy. "France?" She mused, smiling as she remembered a summer spent there as a child. The scenery was beautiful, and wherever her parents took her just seemed to dazzle in it's own special way. "It's so beautiful there. I love Paris and Normandy. And Durmstrang? My brother's girlfriend goes there." Her face melted into one of a soft distaste. It wasn't that she disliked the girl by any means, in fact it was the opposite. She couldn't comprehend why Amanda had ever found her brother worthy of the relationship at all. But, maybe that was just a typical thing thought by siblings.

Jack smiled and nodded. "Yeh, i love it there too..." He started, his voice trailing away as he tried to think of a reasonable excuse why he came to the beach here. Unable to think of one at the current moment, he stood there, looking out at the beach and the sea. "Oh yeh? What year is she in? And who is she?" He asked, his brain now going off to think about who the unknown girl could be. And why, if the guy was in his schooling years and had a girlfriend in Durmstrang, why he didn't go there as well. Durmstrang was best known for their intelligent students who were eager to learn the dark arts, and normally, if a relationship occurred between the 2 schools, the boy went to Durmstrang. However, there was always an odd one out, and always an exception so why did Jack find this strange?

(OOC: Sorry for the lame post :jesse: )

(OOC: It's okay~ ^_^ )

Sydney smiled and tilted her head back sightly, enjoying the waves and sun rays hitting her neck. It was a nice sensation, one both comforting and inviting to anyone that set foot on the beach and welcomed it in. "Amanda Finnigan?" The girl paused, thinking about her for a moment. What year had Austin said she was in? "I think she's in sixth or seventh year.. But my brother is homeschooled so it's a weird situation." She gave a light shrug to the boy and her signature smile returned. "I don't get what she sees in him at all. He's kind of a jerk, and don't even get me started on how he acts at home-" Sydney cut herself off with a nervous laugh. "Sorry.. I don't mean to ramble at all." Well, it was official, she was not good with people at all. She might as well just have crawled under a rock and spent the rest of her life there.

Jack smiled and frowned slightly. "No, i don't know her. She must be a 6th year or a quiet 7th year because i know everyone in my year. Well, most people anyway." He said, thinking of just how many people he had met recently that he hadn't ever even heard of. "Why do you say that? And you can talk about home life, i've heard it all before and im happy to listen." He said, placing an irresistible smile on his face. He knew most of people's stories, or the basics anyway, so he didn't mind about other people talking. He found it interesting, not to be nosey, but to hear people's perspectives on different situations, how different parts of the story affected different people. "Don't worry." He added, not thinking at all that she was talking too much, because in general, he found that he didn't talk that much, preferring to listen unless someone caught him out on a bad day. Smiling up at the sun, he turned back to hear what she had to say about it all.

"Then you must be popular." Sydney smiled at him and laughed a little, not at him, but at how different she seemed from him. At school she was quiet, reserved, didn't like to talk much unless there was something going on that sparked her interest. At home she was, however, extremely loud and outgoing. One would have to be with two older, and much bigger, twin half-brothers. "Well... It's just.. He leaves his clothes all over the place, makes me cook for him, and fights with Kobi, my other brother, all the time. It's so annoying." Sydney would've stopped at that if it hadn't been for the other's smile. "And then he thinks everyone should just... worship his feet or something! People like that make me so angry! If anything they should be the ones to follow better people's examples." Her temper flared at the thought, but then she retracted once more. Her hand tensed into a ball, gripping some sand. "Anyway... I've been doing most of the talking.. Sorry. Anything about you I should know about?"

(OOC: I am sooooo sorry :jesse: I COMPLETELY forgot about this topic :( sorry :( )

Jack laughed lightly and shrugged. "I don't know about that." He debated, trying to work out whether he was popular or not. It seemed that because of his looks, people did like him, and he had his own group of friends, but that didn't make him popular. To be honest, he had never really thought about it much so decided to let the comment pass. Listening to her talk about her brother, Jack found himself being grateful for being an only child. He watched as her temper flared and then died down, realising that he hadn't really seen much of this girl, it was like there was a whole other person beneath the girl he had just met. "Um, i don't know. I guess the only thing that is needed to be known at the moment is that im way too overprotective of my cousin, as everyone tells me, and i can't be responsible for the consequences of my worst temper." He added, shrugging at the last statement he made. He didn't really know why he was telling her this, but he was and she needed to know the truth for a reason that he couldn't quite work out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back