Autumn amongst the Flowers

Lady Helena the Brave

Ghost of Gryffindor House

Blood Status
Pure Blood
It was chilly outside not that Lady Helena could feel it as she drifted along the Garden looking at all the flowers that had died due to the cold air that Autumn brought with it. This was her favorite time to come out and walk amongst the flowers even though they were not a pretty looking as they were in the Springtime. It was however the time when she could almost feel them as she took in a deep breath remembering what a rose once smelled like, it was quite invigorating for her since she was always fearful that she would forget some of the joys she had when she was alive. Her hand moved through the roses slowly back in forth in an attempt to feel the soft velvet petals and perhaps even bring out the smell she had longed for in recent years. She wondered sometimes why life had been so unfair towards her, she had been a good woman and wife though everything had been taken away from her at such a young age it was almost unfair.

She took another deep breath however she didn't really have breath to take in, it was simply an attempt to allow the death to give her something different to think about. It had been her choice to stay and not move on, it was something every ghost had to go on with even if it didn't get easier as time moved on. In fact unlike most things being a ghost was something that got worse as time moved on. When you first die you have friends and families that are still around and for a few blissful years it's almost as if you were still alive. Eventually however they too move on and unlike you, they leave this world forever as you are forced to stay with memories and of course death. That was why Helena enjoyed living at the school so much, people came and went and she got to meet and enjoy them however they did not leave her like her family and friends had. The students would go off to live their lives and would be happy for many years to come. It was one of the few thoughts that placed a smile on Lady Helena's face as she continued to move throughout the garden.

Roze walked out to the garden. She wondered what the garden would look like now that most of the flowers were dead.

She stopped as she entered the garden. She was surrounded by falling, wilting flowers. Everywhere she looked was dead. It was actually sort of beautiful, in a strange way. The way they all fell. The bends, the curves, the lowness of it all. It made her feel taller, bigger, stronger. It made her feel more important. Along with those feelings came a feeling of endings and sadness. A beautiful ending. A beautiful sadness. But endings and sadness nonetheless.

Roze's feet began moving again as she gazed upon the falling leaves. Eventually, she was far into the middle of the garden, lost in the plants. This is where she liked it best. Hidden, but in the middle of it all.

As she sat in the cluster of plants, she saw a misty substance not far from her. It took a moment to place it. It was ghost. Roze froze. She hadn't encountered a ghost yet. Not like this, at least. Sure, she had seen them in the halls and such, but never so close. Never so alone.

"Oh, stop it. I'm sure all the ghosts are perfectly kind. It's not like they're going to hurt me or anything. And plus, mama always says that ghosts are just like people, but not..." Roze thought through her options. She could show herself, or she could stay hidden until it left. She stared at the misty figure as she weighed her options. It was a woman. A very beautiful woman from the looks of it. She seemed peaceful and kind. Roze decided there was no harm in speaking to her, so she did.

"Hello," she said, not leaving her bunch of flowers.

Doing what ghosts did best Lady Helena looked at the roses and contemplated both the past and the future while attempting to keep the present away from thought. Like most ghosts the thought of what was going on at the moment seemed painful to hold on too and so Lady Helena simply chose to think about something else. Her hand moved through one of the rose petals once more as she smiled, again almost feeling the petal against what should have been her skin. She enjoyed her moment alone however she didn't have too much longer to enjoy it as she heard a voice coming from nearby, slowly since she had all the time in the world she faced the girl. She was such a small thing full of life it was almost enjoyable to see her but perhaps it was simply the area that they were in. In any case despite the fact that her alone time had been interrupted, Helena felt some happiness in the girl's company. "Good afternoon" Lady Helena said in a kind voice.

With a low bow and curtsy Lady Helena smiled politely "I do not believe we have met before, I am Lady Helena the patron Ghost of the Gryffindor House" Lady Helena said as an introduction. Slowly she straightened herself and smiled at the little thing "and whom may I ask are you?" Lady Helena asked politely as the wind began to blow causing a few of the maroon petals to fly all around and through the dead woman. Lady Helena turned back towards the bush she had been admiring finding that most of the flowers were gone, Lady Helena frowned slightly. It seemed as though her time with the flowers would be short lived as it did every year. Lady Helena turned back towards the girl "isn't Autumn simply the most wonderful time of the year?" Lady Helena asked with a smile "Only nature can make death seem so beautiful" She added as an afterthought.

Roze waited in suspense as the lady turned, ever so slowly, to face her. She had a kind face and an even kinder voice.

"I am Roze Castro of the Gryffindor House. Nice to meat you. Roze subconsciously mimicked the ghost's introduction pattern. She watched as Lady Helena turned to the flowers she was view just before, then faced Roze once again, asking her a question.

"Yes, it is. It's my favorite." She smiled. It was true. There something about it that she just loved. Maybe it was the colors. Maybe it was the cool breeze at night. She didn't know what it was, but she knew she enjoyed it.

Lady Helena clasped her hands together as a look of joy appeared on her face, "A student from Gryffindor, I see more and more reasons to enjoy your company" Lady Helena said as the wind blew through her once more. The petals flew around and threw her causing more of the gardens to end up bare, it was a sad thing to see however meeting a young girl from her own house did bring some glimmer of joy. "I do apologize Miss Castro, since I have not been as present as I should be" Lady Helena said with a sigh "I fear that in the last couple of years I have neglected my duties" Lady Helena said a bit gloomily as she looked towards the ground. It was a sad thing to find someone in her own house that she did not know simply because she had been too involved with herself and her own thoughts, perhaps it was because she had been dead and alone for so long.

"I should be better for the students that represent the same House as I" Lady Helena said with a smile as she looked at the young girl with new found vigor that was rare with ghosts. While floating, Lady Helena sat down on the air and placed her hands on her lap as she looked at both the girl and the flowers that laid around her. "So, in order to be a better Patron Ghost I'm going to need your help" Lady Helena said with a smile as she looked over the girl more and more. "Please Miss Castro, I would like you to tell me a little about yourself and how your are fairing here at Hogwarts" Lady Helena said as she tried her best to give the young girl her full attention. She would have to visit the Gryffindor students more often and try harder in the future to get to know them, it reminded her of her life and how even though she lived in a higher station she still wanted to get to know the commoners. This was slightly different however since now she was lower than the people around her, beyond the grave lower but it still didn't change how she would treat the people around her.

Roze smiled, but it turned into a slight grimace as the wind blew, causing her to tighten the scarf around her neck.

"Oh, that's okay. I'm sure you have other things to do, too," she replied to Lady Helena's apology. Roze watched her sit on the air before continuing.

She was excited to help out the Patron Ghost of Gryffindor. She wondered how many people got to do that.

"Hmm... Well, she began as she, too, sat down. She tightened her scarf and coat again and continued.

"I'm a second year, about to be third, and I'm twelve. My birthday is October 31. I'm muggle born and I'm from a tiny village in Colombia, so this whole world is completely new to me. I love it. It's... magical." She said the last part with a slight giggle. "But I really miss my friends and family back home." She said with a sigh. "My favorite subject so far is definitely Defense Against the Dark Arts. I like Transfiguration, too. Hogwarts is great. The people, the magic, the secrets, the history. All of it. Music is my real passion, though. I love to sing and play guitar. I don't usually play around people because I'm really shy, but I'm working on that. I've played for several strangers now, so I have a lot more confidence than I did a few months ago. Roze stopped there and checked to make sure she wasn't boring Lady Helena with her babbling.

Lady Helena listened with great interest as she sat on the air, it was all rather interesting especially the part about the girl being muggleborn since Lady Helena herself had found herself learning a great amount about Muggles back when she was alive, helping them in their silly wars. She was also interested in the other things the girl had talked about, such as being shy and liking to play the guitar. The girl did not seem so shy to Lady Helena however perhaps it was because she was talking to the dead that helped the girl feel more open, Lady Helena had no reason to judge anyone since such things were not as important once everything had ended. She did know of course that not all ghosts felt that way, some were proud of the way their mortal lives had ended such as the members of the Headless Hunt. They were good for a laugh but in the end it didn't change the fact that their life had ended and that all they were doing was spending the rest of eternity doing something rather than nothing.

"I don't think your very shy" Lady Helena said with a laugh as she smiled at the young girl "especially since your in Gryffindor, everyone in our house has alot of potential" Lady Helena said as she stood back up while staying in the air. "The difference of course between us and Slytherins is that we have the courage to face our potential head on!" Lady Helena said with great pride. "I know that you'll become a great performer in time and when you do you'll be more than ready to show off your skills for everyone to see" Lady Helena said as she lowered herself so that she was closer to the girl's level however her feet were still off the ground. Lady Helena could see that even though it was more difficult for people like Miss. Castro to leave everything they knew to come to the magical world, that it would have a positive impact on her life, there was more to their world than simply the magic. Lady Helena smirked slightly before returning back to her normal calmness "I apologize, I should contain myself more" Lady Helena said with another slight bow.

"I don't know why I'm talking so much right now. I usually don't say much to people I don't know." Roze explained. She watched Lady Helena with admiration for her boldness.

"Thank you." Roze thanked her for having confidence in her abilities.

She giggled as Lady Helena apologized for her outburst.
"No, no! That's okay. I enjoy you're boldness and confidence."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back