Winnie Calida

Queen Bee

Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
It's Complicated
Wand
Curved 17 Inch Unyielding Laurel Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Winnie Calida had another professor to see, of her classes that semester she also had Astronomy. Winnie had no real interest in Astronomy, but she knew that she did still need to do well in it, so, she had made her way up all of the steps to the astronomy classroom, where she hoped to find the professor. She made sure that her hair was still perfectly in place and she went to the correct office door, to the correct professor that she would have. Winnie knocked on the door and then waited.

Adorah was feeling okay about starting another year. She still had her old lesson plans, but she was able to modify them to include some things she'd learned the past year student teaching. The former Ravenclaw was most concerned about her classroom management strategies, but she could only do so much until she met the first and second years. There were sure to be some characters within each group.

As she sat at her desk sipping on an iced coffee, she heard a rap on the door. The professor got up and opened the door to an unfamiliar student. "Hi, can I help you?" she asked.

Winnie smiled at the professor who opened the door. She was one of the younger professors, for sure, though not the youngest — she thought. "Hi, I'm Winnie, ma'am, I'll be one of your first years this semester. I just wanted to introduce myself," Winnie said. "I also just wanted to take a moment of your time, as I'd like to put my best foot forward in your class, so, are there any specific books you recommend me reading ahead of class, or any ways to ensure I can maximize my time within your class, ma'am?"

Adorah felt odd being called ma'am, not once, but twice. She didn't feel nearly old enough to be a "ma'am," but she figured the girl just meant to be respectful. "Why don't you come on it and take a seat?" she asked, stepping aside to let the first year into her office. There was a comfy lavender chair in front of her desk for students and guests to sit in. She never wanted her office to feel unwelcoming. "So, for the first two years, we don't have a formal book. I'll give you anything that you might want to read. We use charts and maps and look at the sky," she added, taking a sip of her coffee. "But since our class can be in the evening, the most important thing is figuring out sleep and studying. It can be hard for a lot of first years." Adorah remembered struggling with that even though she adored the subject. "You said your name is Winnie? What's your last name? I'll make a note for myself in case I think of anything that might be of interest to you. I also liked to read ahead," she said with a smile.

Winnie gave a little nod, and followed the professor into the office. The room was a little more informal than she would've expected. The chair that she was being offered was lavender in colour and looked comfortable. She sat down, her posture perfect, not slouching in the chair, though she was sure it would be a comfortable chair to do it. She took out a little notebook from her robes pocket and a little pencil, ready to take little notes from what the professor was saying. She knew the classes were in the evening, she'd seen the schedule, but surely it wouldn't be that hard. Winnie took a little note that there wasn't a book for the next two years, which felt a little absurd. "Winnie Calida, ma'am," Winnie replied. "And please, if that isn't too much effort. Astronomy is a subject of great interest to me, and I'd love to do well in it," Winnie told her, though she was lying about it being a subject of great interest to her.

Adorah paused for a moment when Winnie shared her last name. She had seen that Minnie was now a professor, and it had been quite a blast from the past, but she was starting to connect the dots. She was also surprised to hear that such a young student was interested in Astronomy, as many of the students struggled with the subject since there wasn't any "magic" in their curriculum. "I sometimes find interesting news when new stars or solar systems are discovered that I share with interested students. I can add you to that list," she said, knowing that there were only about 2 other students who had expressed any interest. But 2 or 3 were better than none. "Are you by any chance related to Professor Calida, Winnie?" she asked curiously, writing down Winnie's name and putting a star next to it.

Winnie gave a nod at the offer. "Please, I would love that," Winnie replied. She doubted she would ever actually want to engage with that information, but if it helped endear her to the professor, of course she would agree. "I'm really looking forward to seeing the night sky here properly. I live in a very light polluted town, I've seen the Southern Cross of course, but I've never managed to see the Magellanic Clouds," She had done a bit of pre-reading before meeting with all of the professors. But at the question she frowned, it was a coincidence, she wasn't related to a professor at the school, if she was she'd be using that to her advantage to get introductions and not doing them herself. "No, I'm an only child, and my parents are too," she said, deciding not to add anything about Calida being a common surname. "I won't take up more of your time, Professor, thank you so much,"

Adorah was surprised to hear Winnie know anything regarding constellations, but if she grew up in a wizarding family or even a muggle one who had interest in such things, it might not be totally odd. "Well, thankfully, here we have the advantage of no light pollution and can see endless constellations or use magic to fabricate a sky - for the purpose of education, of course," she added.

She nodded as Winnie informed her that she was an only child and then gave a small shrug. It was easy to assume with the amount of wizarding families that those with common last names were related to each other eventually. "My mistake. But thank you for coming by, Winnie. I'll see you in class soon," she finished, leading the first year out of her office before shutting the door behind her.

Winnie knew of the spell that could fabricate a sky, she'd seen it in action in the Great Hall. "I'm looking forward to it," Winnie said with a smile. She nodded, as the professor seemed to take what Winnie said about the professor Calida before then smiling. "Thank you," she repeated as she was led out of the room. "I look forward to your first class!" she said with a bright tone as she headed away and off to find the next professor she needed to speak with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back