OOC First Name
Emzies
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
It's Complicated
Wand
Knotted 13" Sturdy Yew Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Jerara had found the library after asking countless older students most of which seemed unwilling to help him, looking at him with an expression of why are you asking me, or isn't it obvious which for the new Ravenclaw was entirely the answer. He had never been in a school this large, his last school hadn't had a library, it had been too small to fit one, each class had a set of shelves with books but not a library. As he stepped into the library he realised, even he'd had a library at his last school it was nothing compared with this place. This place was huge, there seemed to be hundreds of books, just so many, he had to wonder how many of them were magical and how many were muggle, if there even were any muggle books. The young ravenclaw stopped walking at the entrance and was bumped by someone behind him who hadn't noticed that Jerara had stopped moving. Jerara mumbled small apologies before beginning walking again, he only had seven years in this school and there were so many books for him to try to read, that simply wouldn't be enough time, he was going to have to start reading right from this first day.

Jerara wondered even where to begin, he had a lot of questions and he didn't where to begin. The young ravenclaw knew he had so much to learn and he didn't want to get things wrong, classes would be starting extremely soon and his first year books while useful didn't answer enough questions. He was in an entirely new world, with entirely new people, and it was so beyond anything he had ever encountered, there was talk of dragons, of house-elves that did all the work, of unicorns, of spells that could bring unimaginable pain, of spells that could clean dishes, produce water, dry up spills. From all he'd heard Jerara couldn't understand why the magical world opted to keep itself hidden from the non-magical world, the amount of problems the magical world could help fix was undeniable, and then there was the fact that the muggles could help introduce the magical world to the wondrous thing could the internet. Though Jerara was excited about this world, he couldn't help but miss his video games, playing online with others, or visiting the social network sites. The boy decided to try and find a book about the basics about the magical world, things more general than the books he had currently. The boy found a section about muggle studies, and within that found a book titled, So you're new to the magical world which he had to say was perfect, although as he opened it, Jerara couldn't help but groan loudly, this book was at least forty years old, it kept talking about a thing called vhs, he had no idea what that was. This was useless, how was he supposed to learn about the magical world to fit in if the books were all out of date.

Tristan knew he was in over his head. Everything about this world was weird, and he didn't know how anyone was supposed to adjust to this madness. Portraits moved and talked to you, candles floated in the air with nothing to support them and people could apparently make just about anything happen by waving their wand and saying some words. It was really amazing, but also a little frustrating. He didn't know how many other people from non magical families there were, but he felt like he was the only one struggling to fit in. He remembered at the opening feast how he had gaped at the food that had appeared out of nowhere, and how he had trembled at the sight of real actual ghosts floating around. He still half suspected this all to be a big, strange dream. But it seemed like he wasn't going to wake up in his old bed anytime soon.

So he went to find information. If no one was going to give him any, he would look for it himself. Unfortunately, as many amazing things he had seen around the castle, the wizarding world seemed to have never heard of the internet. Oh he wished he could just look up something easily, but it seemed like it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. So he had to find the library. To his frustration, he found that wizards seemed not to have heard of simple signs either. The internet was one thing, but surely someone could have put up a map of some sort? He hated having to ask others and look like he didn't know anything himself, but after walking around for some time, he had to try. Thankfully he seemed to have found a particularly helpful older girl, because she pointed him in the right direction immediately. He smiled and thanked her politely before walking there, wondering what to expect.

His mental image of a library was quite different from what he found when he entered the right room. In his mind he saw the small local library he would occasionally visit with his family, with shiny modern books and computers to search for things. This was like something out of a movie, a movie set in the middle ages or something. It was really cool, though the books looked too old to be of much use to him. He first picked one at random, hoping it had some practical information, but he could barely understand anything it said. Intimidated, he quickly put it back. He had to find something written for people like him, if there was such a book.

He made his way to the muggle studies section, feeling more at ease there because the titles of the books actually seemed to make sense here. Though it was sort of funny to see them describe muggles like they were a completely different species. He noticed another boy there, looking through a book that looked promising. The title was So you're new to the magical world. Which was pretty much the best he could have hoped for."Is that book any good?" He asked. This boy, whoever he was, was probably like Tristan. He couldn't imagine anyone else looking at a book like this. It would be sort of nice to get to know someone that was just as lost as he was.

Jerara couldn't quite believe how out of date the textbook was, perhaps no one had thought to replace it with a more updated version but surely with so many books it would only make sense to order in the newer versions of the book, there had to be a couple of students like him in every year that meant they needed the book, or perhaps it was just him that needed a little extra help in knowing what this new magical world was about. For one thing he wanted to understand the fact there were ghosts, real life actual ghosts which didn't seem to even mind that they were ghosts. The boy was curious about that, and that was really only scratching the surface of what he was curious about, he hadn't actually managed to speak to a ghost, he hadn't managed to be able to ask anyone any questions and now that he was in the smart house, he felt almost too nervous to ask any of them, what would they think of him if he had no idea what anything in the magical world was. Which was unfortunately the boy's position and really not just that but he was very quickly realising that he hadn't even brought the right clothes with him to New Zealand, having never once really left northern Australia where it didn't really get cold in the same way that he was very quickly realising that it did. All the boy had in terms of trousers were his school ones, he still hadn't yet figured out how to send a letter or message which had been the next thing to do after the library, he had hoped that he'd understand more how the owls worked from a book.

As he looked at the index of the book he was interrupted by a boy and Jerara looked up from the book and to the boy, before looking back down at the book. He had a wash of nervousness take over his body, but he shook his head about the book, "Not really," he replied a sheepish expression sitting on his face as he spoke, Jerara met the other boy's gaze quickly before looking back down at the book, "It's painfully out of date," the words rushed out of him before he could stop it, the boy was thinking that if this boy had an interest in the book then surely he had to be like him and learning about the magical world, "It keeps taking about a thing called," he flicked back in the book to the page he had opened it at, "vhs" he said pronouncing it as if it was a word, rather than the letters before thrusting the book towards the other boy and pointing to it, "I don't know what that is, but it claims that it's muggle technology so it has to be before our time," the words came out quietly, so that the boy in front of him was the only one who could hear what he was saying, mostly since he understood little about the magical world and according to this book he was also clueless about the world he had grown up in. Jerara was sure that it was just the fact that the book was older than they both were by quite a margin and the muggle world had moved much quicker than the magical one in terms of technology.

The other boy seemed shy, and Tristan felt a little bad for interrupting him like this when he was just looking for information. His eyes widened when the other boy started talking about how out of date the book was, mentioning vhs. It took him a second to realize what he meant because he said it as a word instead of as separate letters, but one he did he let out an incredulous laugh. "Whoa, really? That is out of date." Tristan only knew of the existence of vhs tapes because he watched old movies from time to time. "I've seen that on tv or in movies but only in really old things, like... like from before the year 2000." Why wouldn't a school as big and beautiful as Hogwarts buy new books once in a while? But as as he looked around the library, he sort of understood why. All these books were really old, probably a lot older than the one they were discussing. It just seemed like the magical world progressed a lot slower than the normal world did, so the information stayed accurate for a lot longer. "It's weird, isn't it? The way wizards seem stuck a few centuries ago. I feel like I'm in some sort of historical play every time I pass a suit of armor. I wonder why they don't move forward more, like... like us." He paused, wondering if he should make that assumption. "I mean, like muggles. I feel like I traveled in time, or something." He shrugged, already regretting sharing this thought. If the other boy didn't agree, he would have just made the entire conversation really awkward.

When the other boy seemed, like Jerara to realise how out of date the book was, he just nodded in an almost excited manner, he couldn't believe how old it was, how truly out of date, perhaps it was something to take up with the muggle studies professors, but he knew from his timetable and class lists that he wouldn't be doing it at all during his first year. The ravenclaw just nodded, "Right? I thought this is a magical school, yet no modern books," he spoke quietly adhering to the rules of the library but it was barely contained. He couldn't understand why it was so backwards, why they didn't have books for kids like himself and possibly the boy in front of him. Magic in the little he'd seen could do so much, it was capable of so much, he wanted to learn all he could from it, but how was he supposed to when newly coming into this world and one of the few books had nothing in it of use, although if this was the only book of it's kind then it was better than nothing.

"Yeah," he muttered in agreement, he couldn't understand how it seemed that a world so amazing like this could ever be so simultaneously backwards, "It's strangely so advanced and yet not, they think muggles are" he agreed with a nod of his head, "My phone doesn't work here, apparently it interferes with the magic," Jerara continued as if this was proving his point about being backwards, his phone, the electronics that he had didn't work in this place, but given that they didn't and therefore he didn't need them, Jerara had began to think perhaps they would be better served at home, "I'm Jerara," he introduced tucking the book under his arm and holding out his hand to him, "Jerara Tapsell, Ravenclaw,"

It was so nice to find someone that understood how weird this place was, and Tristan found he liked this boy immediately. It was like finding someone that spoke your language in a foreign country. Well, he assumed it was, he had never left New Zealand.

"Maybe we could ask a teacher, or something?" He said slowly. "Why they don't have more books? I mean, there must be a lot of students like us. I mean, you are from a norm-" He stopped himself. "I mean, muggle family. Right? Like you are? I'm mostly assuming because of the book." He nodded at it."Though maybe I shouldn't be too presumptuous."

He beamed as Jerara continued. He got it. "It IS really strange, how can they be so backwards when they have magic? I mean, I suppose they don't really need a lot of technology but it would still make their lives so much better. Imagine if you could combine it with magic, how much better would it be?" The idea excited him and he filed it away for the future. "And my phone doesn't work either, it's so annoying. I don't know if it sounds ungrateful but I really miss watching tv or looking things up online. I mean, I'm still glad I got to come to this magical castle... but it is a lot to get used to."

In his rant, he almost forgot to introduce himself. Smiling sheepishly, he shook the other boy's hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Tristan Collins. Uh, Hufflepuff. The yellow one."

Jerara shrugged, "I don't have a head of house," he replied to him, since he didn't really have anyone to talk to, the boy had found this out upon being sorted and while this wouldn't be a bad thing, as a new student like him who was curious about this new world he had so many questions and he hardly wanted to bother the headmistress with his questions about this new world, and he didn't know any of the professors he had no one to speak to about it. The ravenclaw boy shrugged a little, "I assume there are more like us," the boy replied, since he really did get it. There had to be more people than just the two of them who were magical from muggle family's. Jerara knew there had to be more here, "There has to be," the ravenclaw added thinking to himself about it. There were already two of them within their year and that had to be like most years, so did other new students to the world just learn as they went, or did they have any other options. Did they just know things despite being new.

Jerara nodded along with what he was saying, it was true, imagine if the two worlds could be combined, if they brought the two worlds together, he really couldn't understand why a set of wizards couldn't figure out how to combine magic and the amazing technology that he was sure that both him and this guy had grown up with. Jerara knew he agreed with him, "I miss it to, I mean if we were able to get online I wouldn't have to be searching in a library with outdated books about muggles," he agreed there was a perhaps a slight hint of a whine in his voice, but it was inevitable really. "I do love the magic, it's amazing, but there are so many incredible things but I miss my phone working," Jerara shook the boy's hand and smiled, "It's good to meet you Tristan," he told him, "Are you from New Zealand?" the boy asked with a warm expression. Jerara grinned at him, it was nice to finally meet someone who understood a little more about where Jerara was coming from in this new world.

The fact that Jerara didn't have a head of house surprised Tristan a little, but he hadn't really interacted with his own yet either. "I haven't really talked to mine yet, though she seems nice." He said, shrugging. "But we'll know some teachers soon enough, so we can figure out who is the nicest and ask them." He smiled encouragingly. "I'm sure they get questions all the time, especially if this is all the information that's available." He gave the book a dismissive glance. "It's practically a history book at this point." He smiled, thinking of other students. "I bet once you've been here for a year or longer, people barely even notice you're not from this world anymore. I mean, there's gotta be loads of people like us in the higher years but I doubt we'd ever know unless we asked, it's pretty cool." He wished he knew enough about magic to pass for a wizard from a wizarding background, but he didn't even know one spell.

Besides, being of both worlds could have advantages later on. It could mean he had information others didn't, and that he could use it. Maybe combining magic and technology was something he could work on someday. He was glad Jerara missed the same things he did. "I know!" He said, laughing a bit. "Looking things up in books is so odd, I don't even really know how to do that. I mean, I can read, but how do you know which book and where to look? I'm going to be so lost." He sighed. "But we'll probably learn, and maybe there's a magical way to google things. Like, a spell to make a book open on the page you need or something."

"It's good to meet you too, Jerara." He said as he shook his hand. It really was, he felt a hundred times less alone than he had at the sorting, where everyone had seemed like they knew more than him. "And yes, I am. You?"

Jerara was unsure still of which teachers were with what house, but he was sure that having one was better than none, but it wasn't like he could change or fix this, his questions were just going to have to wait until they could really be answered. The boy just smiled at the point, he was going to just wait, and nodded with what he was saying, it was true the book did serve as a history guide that perhaps serve well for students who were coming from non-muggle backgrounds but it meant that they two from muggle backgrounds were going to struggle to find the right information for a little background into this world. Jerara agreed that probably within a year they were going to end up where they like everyone else seemed to suddenly know everything about the world that they would live in. The young ravenclaw knew that he was right but it didn't really stop that overwhelmed feeling that he had having just arrived in the school.

Jerara nodded a little, "I've not had to look at a book in ages, like a physical book," the boy agreed, although he knew that he would probably pick it up when he could, "I'm sure we can pick it up, or at the very least this library will have to have a book about how to look up in a library, that or I'm just going to be lost for days!" The young boy said, and he knew that Tristan probably didn't feel too dissimilar to him, it was such a confusing world to step into, such an amazing place, there was just an adjustment period and this was such a huge thing. Jerara couldn't help but be glad to have met someone who was like him and was coming from outside of this world, "I thought I'd be the only one, I'm glad to have met you," he admitted with a little breath. Jerara shook his head, "I'm from northern Australia, Darwin specifically," he told him with a proud tone.

I'm sorry this took so long for me to reply

Tristan smiled a little, glad this boy would have the same problems he did when it came time to look things up in books. "Maybe we could try to do some homework together sometime, two minds know more than one and we could maybe crack this book research thing more easily." He wouldn't feel bad if the boy refused, they hardly knew each other after all. But the offer seemed smart to him, making the best of a confusing situation with an ally by his side. He looked around at the library, there were so many books. "Though, I really don't know how to tell what book you'll need. I mean, aside from the title." He shrugged. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, yeah?"

Jerara told him he was from Australia and Tristan nodded. "I see." He said, wondering if he should know something about that place, as the other boy seemed so proud of it. "Well, it's fun to meet people from different places." He decided to say diplomatically.

OOCOut of Character:
It's no problem at all :hug: should we wrap this one up?

Jerara nodded as Tristan spoke, grinning a little at the boy in front of him, definitely agreeing that he could use some help with the homework, and utilising this boy to help him in what he wanted to do was a fair way of going about it. The young ravenclaw grinned happily about it, thinking about how good it was too meet someone like him who was new to the school, who didn't know much about the world, and it just felt good to know that he wasn't alone. It had been a fear to the young ravenclaw that stuck in the smart house he was going to be entirely alone, the only one who was like that. There was nothing that could stop the grin upon Jerara's face, "Maybe we should look over this area together to find a book that would help us both?" the boy phrased this as a question as he placed the book he'd been holding back on the shelf and then took the other boys wrist and dragged him to the other book aisle, leaving no question as to what they were doing with the rest of the time, all hesitation and nervous had disappeared from the amount of time they'd spent together, however brief, just knowing how much this boy was like himself was a simple way for him to be able to get less nervous.

That works for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back