OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Curved 12.5" Swishy Vine Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Renata enjoyed cooking - she had to, her mother was Italian, it was in her blood - but there was only so much she could learn from her nonna. Especially because nonnas seemed ill inclined to give any precise measurements and information to their daughters and granddaughters. As far as they were concerned, cooking was something you felt with your heart and recipes were to be pried from their cold, dead hands. And Renata had only just started getting to know her mother's family, so she didn't really want that to come around anytime soon. She liked helping out in the restaurant, listening to music with her nonno, and being around a family that expected literally nothing of her. Maybe not so much that last part, but it was still more relaxing than the alternative.

But she wanted to do something good for the arts club because everyone there was so welcoming and friendly. She'd decided to bake a cake (and maybe some cupcakes) and with her nonna's help over the break she'd been able to nail a recipe that was perfectly fine, possibly even good. Decorating was...its own challenge, but she would just have to keep trying. But she didn't want to present something that was just 'fine'. She wanted to do something that people would really like, and give people reason to like her for it. Not that she'd admit that last bit out loud - she knew how pathetic that sounded.

She had been told about a former Hufflepuff who was an excellent baker, though, and not having any better ideas decided to send her a letter, taking a trip to the Owlery to send it off the next time she sent a letter off to Lexi.

Dear Miss Lockwood,

I'm sorry if this is a weird letter My name is Renata and I am currently a third year Hufflepuff at Hogwarts New Zealand. I have been told that you are an incredible baker and I was hoping to get some advice from you on how I might be able to improve.

I know that probably doesn't work too well over mail but I have learned some basic techniques from my family and I can make a decent chocolate cake although I don't really know how to ice them very well or to make them really stand out in taste. Is there anything you can suggest for me to practice or tips you can offer to make things taste a little better?

I hope this isn't too strange of a request. I have heard that your bakery stall is really nice and I look forward to getting the chance to try it next holiday. Anyway if you haven't thrown this letter out already Thank you very much in advance for your help and I hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Renata Stepanova

P.S. Oh, and I'm trying to make something look and taste nice for the Arts Club. I'm not sure if you were a part of it when you were here but I hope that gives some context!

She almost didn't look at she sent the message, expecting not to get anything back but at least she tried, she supposed.

Lily had been on cloud nine for days now, humming along happily and deflecting her sister's questions. She had just pulled out a new batch of muffins from the oven when she got a letter. Surprised, she let the owl inside and sat down at the table. Her heart warmed and she got a little teary eyed as she read the letter. She immediately set about responding, putting together the fresh muffins she'd been making that morning into an assorted basket to send back to the girl.

Dear Miss Renata,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me!! Your letter is absolutely the sweetest thing I've received. Please, call me Lily. I loved being in Hufflepuff, I hope you enjoy it just as much! I've included some recipes in this basket I'm sending you. It's a bit vague, but please, write again! I'd love to hear from you. I can answer any questions you may have. I've included tips and tricks for each recipe in the basket. Maybe over the break you and I can bake something together! I would love to get to know you.

Best Wishes, Lily~

Renata had not at all been expecting a response to the letter - why would there be a response? - and was pleasantly surprised to receive one. It really shouldn't have been too surprising, considering the fact that this was a former Hufflepuff she was writing to and they were all (or at least most of them) very friendly and helpful. But not only was there a response, but there was some baked goods with them too. She bit into one greedily - they tasted as good as they looked! Her nonna was an incredible cook, but baking wasn't really a thing she did. And recipes too - Renata rudely barged her way into the kitchen once more (some house elves were starting to get annoyed at her presence, but most seemed to politely tolerate her as long as she stuck to her little corner and didn't bother them when it was busy) and set about trying to cook some. She was quite pleased to see they were a little better than what she'd made before. Not as nice as the ones Lily had made, but a definite improvement. She could probably call these ones 'good' as a baseline.

Dear Lily

Thank you thank you thank you! That was really nice of you to send those recipes and some muffins. I don't know how I can ever repay you. I made some after getting your letter since I didn't have class until Astronomy tonight and they were a lot better than the last ones I made. Not as good as yours but your recipes helped so much! I shared the muffins you sent with my dormmates and they really liked them too. Hufflepuff is really nice, I just transferred to Hogwarts this year and everyone has been so welcoming. I am still no good at decorative icing (or regular icing) but I will keep practicing because I know the cakes will taste amazing!! That would be really nice to bake something too, I will keep at it so I don't let you down.

Thank you so so much again!
- Renata

Lily had been humming happily, cleaning house and dancing along to some music she'd put in, when the owl arrived. Lily smiled. This was nice, she was glad that Renata had written her back. Lily turned the music down and moved to curl up on the couch, smiling as she read the girls letter. Lily was quick to write back.
Dear Renata,

That's so good to hear, sweetheart! I've included a few of my first cookbooks I had- they have my notes scribbled in the margins, slight recipe alterations and tips I learned over the years. I made sure to pick a few with decorating tips in particular. That can be incredibly tricky, trying to figure out how to do it properly. You'll find your own style, but hopefully this helps. We should meet up over break! We could go over a few tricks that are easier to learn hands on, you know?

Happy baking, Lily~

Renata was still somehow surprised to receive a letter back. She probably shouldn't have been, but she still was anyway. She was still getting used to the idea of people actually being vaguely interested in what she had to say. Though it really did seem like the Hufflepuffs she'd spoken to, even including a former Hufflepuff, were just generally nice and helpful people. It certainly made it easier to be nice in return.

Dear Lily

Thank you so much again! I think the house elves are starting to get...well maybe not used to me but are putting up with me enough. My main problem with decorating is that I do not have an artistic bone in my body. I think I am getting better at putting icing on and making it look presentable though I don't think I'll ever be able to do anything amazing with it. That's okay though as long as I can make it taste good, I think. I would love to meet up over break! I will be able to thank you properly and I can bring you some Italian desserts from home. My nonna makes a great cannoli that she won't give me the recipe to. I hope everything is going very well for you and that people are liking your baking just as much as I am.

- Renata

Lily had been in a great mood lately. Everything just seemed to be going well for her. She was reading in the window when the owl arrived. Smiling, Lily set aside her book and let the poor thing in, giving it a treat and letting it take refuge from the rain outside. She read over the letter with a smile. While her reply was written quickly, she waited for the storm to end before sending the owl back to the castle.

Dear Renata,

Oh, I'm sure they don't mind. They like the company, they can just be a bit grouchy sometimes. If you share your treats with them and treat them with respect, they'll warm up to you more quickly. I'm looking forward to meeting you! I'll make sure to block out a good bit of time for us. Until then, though, why don't you tell me a bit about yourself? I'll start.

My name is Lillian Lockwood, though everyone just calls me Lily. I'm twenty years old, and as you can imagine I graduated a few years ago. For a little while, I lived with my best friend, Elliot Briar, and his girlfriend Alice Holland. After my little sister graduated, though, she and I moved into an apartment together. Rosalind, or Rose, is a sweet girl, though she has a bit of a temper. She's mellowed quite a bit since she started dating Iris Van Houten, however. She's the younger sister of my other best friend, Lars Van Houten. Lars is such a wonderful artist. I also have a younger brother, Ren. He's a bit lazy, but he's keeping himself somewhat busy working at our aunts bookshop.

What about you? Do you have any family? Who are your friends?

Love, Lily~

Renata always felt a little shy going into detail about herself, and she sat outside the Owlery wasting parchment as she scribbled things, sighed, ripped them up and restarted. Compared to everyone around her, she was painfully average. But she wanted to present herself honestly but in a way that people wouldn't hate her, or think her too pathetic to be around. Sighing, she looked over her fourth attempt, decided it was good enough despite the vague approximation of a smiley face next to her name and sent it off.

Dear Lily

That sounds like a really fun and interesting group to be around! I'm glad that you have all stayed friends after school. Is it fun having siblings? I guess it could be annoying sometimes but it sounds like you and Rose must get along great.

I don't have any siblings. My mother is a lounge and bar singer and she used to sing at clubs all around Europe. My father fell for her right away and did odd jobs like stage setting and playing music to accompany her but she was always the star. We moved to New Zealand to do something new so now my mother is a singing teacher. We live with my nonno and nonna and they set up an Italian restaurant. My father helps out too even though nonna says he doesn't understand the passion in his cold Russian heart. I think she forgets that we both understand Italian.

My best friend is my dormmate, Sky. I think her name is actually Niamh but she picked Sky for herself and it suits her. She is a great artist and musician. My other dormmate is Molly and she's really bubbly and friendly and gets good grades and I like hanging out with her too. I hang out with some of the fourth year boys like Eugene who I met before I officially transferred and he was busking and he was really good at it. We danced together at the Yule Ball although he runs the yearbook so he was mostly busy. And Charlie is a fourth year too, he's a really talented violinist even though he only just picked it up. And there's Jordie in fifth year who is everyone's friend and works so hard. I am on the Quidditch team too and the players are great and work hard even though I think the snitch may be cursed this year because it keeps appearing in under 10 minutes.

Sorry that was kind of a long letter. I told my parents I'm going to hang out with people on the break and they're okay with it so I'm looking forward to meeting up!

- Renata

Lily hadn't been expecting to find a penpal in the school, but she was glad she had. She was enjoying the letters she got from Renata. Lily had been busy watering her plants when the mail came in. Smiling, Lily settled the owl with snacks and a drink before opening the letter. She smiled as she read through it, quick to reply.

Dear Renata,

It's absolutely lovely to be hearing from you again. Having siblings can have its ups and downs- Rose punched one of my friends in school, and I've always worried about Ren- he lacks motivation I think, though he does get by.

Your family sounds wonderful! I just love stories of when people meet and fall in love. My mother lost everything, her parents died and her brother abandoned her, so she sold her childhood home and moved across the country to begin her studies as a doctor. She met my father there, he was working at the library where she was studying. It was months before they really started talking, but I always thought it was cute.

It sounds like you have a great social life. When you say Jordie, you don't mean Jordie Harris? I know his family, I actually just catered for his older brothers wedding. He's that cutest curly haired boy, no? I'm glad he's got a good friend like you.

I'm looking forward to seeing you! I've got so much planned. I hope you have a good time. I'll see you soon!

Love, Lily~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back