All is Lost

Patrick O'Brien

Patrick had enjoyed his summer immensely, he had returned his niece to her godmother relatively unscathed but thoroughly happy. The trip to Ireland was a good one and it had been nice to meet some of her friends. She had gone to France and Canada as well. Patrick had to smile at how busy her schedule for the summer was. Having his doubts about sending her to France though, Patrick soon had to relent when Essie had conceded that the boy Carlisle was an excellent influence on Andromeda and the proof was in the pudding. She was so much calmer and full of her own jovial spirits again. She had returned to school and already he was beginning to miss her. He had bought enough things for her though to last her the school year at least, with this in mind he made his way down through Bleak Street, he hated having to go down here but one of the better stores for old artefacts could only be found here. As he made his way down through the darkening alley he smiled to himself. Once upon a time he would not have bothered his life coming down these parts of anywhere but now the search for finding something to help Andromeda was more profound.

He wanted her whole again, not one of the damned as she saw herself. Not paying any attention Patrick walked right into someone.
"I am so sorry, please forgive me".

Thorine had left the Leaky Cauldron to meet up with Goia her house elf and her son Christian. It was hard to imagine that he was one year old already. They had a few errands to run and though she could quite easily have let Goia done them but she wanted to bring Christian out for a while and with Goia to help, there didn't seem any pressure at all. Goia walked ahead of her holding her most prize possession in the world, she smiled as the old house elf doted on him. Cooing gently into the swaddled blanket. Thorine paused for a moment after they left one of the stores on Bleak Street to look in the window at a beautiful old rocking horse. Charmed to the teeth of course. She smiled turning around to point it out to Christian and Goia but noticed they had already gone ahead, around the corner.

Walking after them she saw it before she could prevent it. Just as she turned Goia was falling to the ground after a man had obviously walked into him. She saw him twist his aged slight frame to prevent Christian from being hurt. Her long black cape floated after her as she walked purposefully over to them.
Helping Goia to his feet, she took one look at her son to make sure he was alright, she then turned to Goia.

"Take him home, make sure he is alright. Take these as well."
Within seconds the elf had apparated himself the baby and the packages back to the Hall. Thorine turned on the man.

"You should watch where you are walking"

Patrick had apologised but realised too late that he had to look down to whoever he had bumped into, not only was it a house elf but one carrying a child. He reached out a hand to help them but his gaze turned to see the waves of a black cloak descend on the elf and child and assist them. Within moments they had apparated and only the figure in the cape stood before him. She spoke accusing him of not watching where he was going.
"I'm sorry, really. I just didn't see them. They're alright though, no damage done" he smiled and attempted to move past her,
"well goodbye then".

Thorined allowed her hood to fall back as she put her hand out to stop the man. The feeling of intense nausea overcame her and she glared at him. Her sense for knowing when someone was not pureblood or even a halfblood was as strong as ever. He was a filthy mudblood and the man had nearly hurt her son.

"Do you know who you nearly hurt? That was my son. My only son. Do you really think I would be happy if something were to happen to him?" she stared at him with her cool green eyes. She was in no mood to be trivelled with and certainly not by a mudblood.

Asparuh apparated to Bleak Street, the darkest part of it, and removed the hood of his cloak, allowing his bright blond hair to be seen. Using his excellent hearing, he listened to a rather familiar female voice. Ah, miss Dolohov. Smirking slightly, he turned around, and headed toward the female voice. Within moments, he saw the scene unravel. Asparuh had arrived from behind a mudblood, and he could see the beauty of the young Death Eater. Asparuh folded his arms across his chest, his voice cold in the air, "There is no need to be messing with a mother, especially one of pureblood." Asparuh's eyes were black as coal, and they rarely had their color in them anymore.

Patrick didn't know what was going on, the woman had every right to be angry he had bumped into her house elf and child but both were fine and he had apologised so he didn't understand why she still harboured such resentment towards him. She was stunning but there was something off in her beauty, something almost sinister. He wanted to turn to leave not wanting any type of confrontation when a man appeared. His eyes were almost devilish and Patrick could not suppress a shudder. 'Pureblood?' Patrick looked at the woman and then once more to the man.

What was this? He wasn't messing with her? It had been an accident.
"I apologised alright" he held up his hands in frustration, "I was just leaving".

Thorine looked up in admiration of Zhefarovich, he really did know the perfect time for presenting himself. She smiled at him benignly over the shoulder of the mudblood. It was nice to have someone stand up for her for a change. It so did get tedious fighting her own battles constantly. Let the mudblood quake now she mused.

Once again he attempted to leave but Thorine moved so gracefully it was as if she had simply glided the two steps to block his way again.
"Sometimes sorry is just not enough" she scoured his mind, disgusted that her own pure mind had to delve into his pitiful excuse for a brain, "sometimes sorry just does not work Patrick".

She smiled having gleamed his name from his weak mind.

Asparuh smirked, an eerie look settled on his features. He had pleasure of seeing the weak man shudder. The Death Eater pulled out his wand from the inside of his robes, and folded his arms across his chest once more. He simply tapped his wand on his arm with his left hand, his smirk still upon his features. Asparuh's height was impressive, exceeding the average male height. Although he was not nearly as largely built as the Drages, for he was leaner, and got around much easier and quieter. Asparuh's gaze continued to be locked on Patrick, "Something more will be done. The price must be repaid. With interest." He assumed that Dolohov had the cruelty her grandfather had, one he knew personally. Asparuh's stare went to Dolohov, and inquired quietly, "What do you have in mind?" He chose not to use her name. Even if the man might not be living after all this.

Patrick didn't understand what was going on. It had been a simple accident and yet they were acting as if he had commited a major crime. This was all completely ridiculous. He would have said so but preferred to walk away yet as he did so, the woman blocked his way again. He had barely seen her move and then she said his name. How did she know him? Perplexed he turned as the man began to speak noticing the wand tapping on his arm. His wand, where had he put his wand? It was in his back pocket could he actually reach it without inciting their anger further? He highly doubted it but surely they wouldn't touch him, they wouldn't really harm him? Would they? He wasn't really sure as he looked from the tall blonde haired man to the tall blonde haired woman. They looked simply cold and evil, there was no other way of describing them.

"The price repaid? Look sorry is sorry no harm was done. I need to leave now, you can put your wand away I dont' have mine drawn" Patrick was tall and sturdy enough, goodness knew he was in excellent physical condition but his wand. He needed his wand and knew the slightest move in that direction could have devastating consequences.

Thorine had the use of two wands, one was a trophy from a wonderful kill five years ago. The other was her on, both she pulled out ever so slowly as Patrick looked to Asparuh. Thorine could not but help to smile over at him still. She could almost feel the adrenaline course through her now. The rush of the eminent torture and eventual kill. He was a mudblood what could he possibly do to defend himself. They could use the unforgiveable curses against him in seconds. The thought was not a bad one, the imperius curse would be quite useful to get him to move in the direction they wanted, away from this alley and perhaps down further where there were not quite so many people.

She looked into the handsome austere features of one of her mentors and smiled.
"I think the imperius for now, we need to move and we certainly don't want him attempting to leave again. Further down the alley here I think is a good enough place to dispose of him." she knew he would understand her meaning of disposed - no filthy mudblood knocked her house elf and more especially her son to the ground.

Asparuh's expression did not falter when the man spoke to him. He assumed that the man was a mudblood, just by the aura he was giving off. Asparuh loathed mudbloods, as well as halfbloods. They all deserved to die, to him. Even if his children were closer to pure than anything, for his late wife had a muggle granfather, and that was it. That muggle taint was very thin in his children's blood. Although, he did have three pureblood children, proud of all three. Asparuh shrugged lightly, "As if I really care whether your wand is drawn or not, because the chances of your survival are slim as is." Asparuh spoke the truth, being harsh and icy.

The experienced Death Eater listened intensely to her suggestion. Quite wise, and though so young, he knew she came from a powerful family, and she had already proved herself to be quite a fine Death Eater. Something the others lacked nowadays. Asparuh nodded slightly, "Wise words." With one smooth motion, Asparuh had his wand aimed directly at Patrick, and uttered the Unforgivable Curse, "Imperio." Asparuh stated in his mind, knowing that if the spell hit, the mudblood would do exactly as he said. Walk deeper into the alley, making sure you are not seen by the passing of civilians. Asparuh was talented in these sort of spells. Barely saying them above a whisper made them extremely effective.

Patrick whirled about to look at the woman.
"Dispose of? the imperius curse?" Patrick didn't care anymore now he had a fair idea who he was up against. Death Eaters there were no other people he could think of that would appear so rich and yet be so damned evil. He made to get his wand but all of a sudden his mind went blaring numb. Nothing seemed to formulate within the cortex of his brain. It was blank, a complete white sheet. No thought went about inside there at all until suddenly only one voice could be heard inside his head telling him to move along down the alley and not to let people see him. Patrick didn't question any of it, his limbs moved of their own violition as he made his way slowly but deliberately down the alley way. There was a building near the far left and Patrick very aware that he was not to let people see him, walked around this until he was at the very back with no one around and all visibility to the alley was void.

Thorine walked without rush or preamble down the lane after Patrick, taking her time and knowing what would eventually happen. It felt exhilarating as if shackles had been removed from her. The DE were being way too cautious of late and a few deaths of mudbloods here and there shouldn't upset anyone too much. As she reached the back of the alley she smiled as she saw Patrick waiting there for his fate to be fall him.

Thorine held now in her hands her two wands, circling him with such a predatory nature she smiled as she slashed the first one in a slow arc. Saying the spell instead of bothering with her usual non verbal incantations.
"Sectumsempra".
The other wand came slashing down then as Thorine gracefully arched her body as if in a well choreographed dance.
"Crucio" she called out with the second wands movement.

Pulling herself up once more to her full height she surveyed her handiwork before curtseying to Asparuh.
"Your turn" she smiled.

Asparuh made sure to have his wand still pointed at Patrick, as Patrick obeyed him like the insolent mutt he was. Asparuh smirked once more, barely concentrating on the spell he was using. Either way, the mudblood will still be under the spell. He had handled mudbloods like this time to time when he was on other continents. It still baffled the Ministry, as if it wasn't completely obvious on who was killing them. Death Eaters needed to be more active, and he was determined to help the majority rise. This was sad, and pathetic, how a lot were just...so inactive as of late. He hoped that they would rise once more, as they did when the Dark Lord was still around.

Asparuh watched with pride as Dolohov used his two favorite spells, other than the killing curse of course. Asparuh non-verbally released the mutt off of the curse he had cast, so he would feel the pain of the two most horrid curses. Asparuh's smirk was wiped off when Thorine said that it was his turn. He aimed and non-verbally cast Langlock and Incendio to set his body aflame. The Langlock was to make sure no one would hear the screaming. Asparuh was having too much fun with this, and did not want to be caught by any Aurors. Not today. Asparuh turned to Thorine, and inquired, "I believe you will decide on who takes his life. Personally, I don't think he had seen the full consequences of stepping in a Pureblood's path, especially one of your stature." Asparuh turned to the doomed man.

Patrick felt the first slash and screamed out in agony, blood gushed from the wound though it wasn't too deep. About to fall forward in agony, Patrick screamed again as his body reacted now to the crucio curse. He doubled up in perfect agony. It was all too much, the pain... make it stop his mind whispered but an even clearer voice inside his head was telling him to simply remain where he was. His body began to writhe on the ground, the pain excruciating. He felt as if it was nearly ebbing when suddenly his tongue stuck to the bridge of his mouth which prevented him from screaming any further, his body was still shaking from the curse when the incendio spell hit him.

Patrick wanted nothing more than to scream but he couldn't... he was on fire. They were killing him. They were ripping him apart and setting him on fire. The heat from the flames singed skin and hair. From somewhere in his mind he could hear a screaming, a deep piercing scream. A terrifying blood curdling cry one he knew vaguely, had heard it before. His fevered mind was trying to scream for him he thought but he knew this was also not it. His body was blackening, he could smell the charred and burnt skin that was his but he was powerless to prevent himself from putting it out. He was weak too weak. The scream came again and he knew what it was and why he could hear it. He was going to die.... she was here to let him know.

The banshee knew before the events progressed. She made her way across land and sea to where one of the O'Briens was about to meet his doom. She was the harbinger of death for this family, she had to do her duty. The closer she got she began to scream, to cry out to him. Letting him know she was coming. No-one else other than those connected with the family through blood would hear or see her. Her screams got louder and louder the closer she got until she could see him now. It was only a matter of time. He knew he was dying now, not just from the way he had been descecrated but because he remembered hearing her the night his father died. She floated above the scene beginning to brush the long white hair with her fine comb. She would stay with him now until he died, continuing her cries - letting others of his clan know that one of them was no more.

Thorine watched the muggle burn and couldn't help but smile. The smell was becoming detestable, muggles usually did smell disgusting when they were burning. She inclined her head to Asparuh.

"If you don't mind I would like to think I am avenging my son and would like the last blow before he dies by your glorious flames" with both wands raised she was going to give the final blow alright. The killing curse with one wand was effective of course but when the deadly red streak of light shot out of two powerful wands then Patrick really didn't stand a chance. He was limp on the floor instantly. Not a shudder from a final breath, nothing. The detestable creature had walked his last on this world. He no longer would be contaminating the wizarding world with his presence.

Turning to Asparuh, Thorine put her wands away.
"I think a drink to toast the loss of one more muggle is in order. Would you care to join me?" Thorine quite understood if he could not, he was a highly powerful and influential wizard. Her grandfather and parents had held great store by him.He was a busy man, she was grateful for his help as it was.

Asparuh smirked, this type of method using flames was not very common for this man, but still enjoyable nonetheless. Asparuh heard the request and nodded slightly, "As you wish." He put his wand away in his robes as the flames died down. When the final blow was dealt, he couldn't help but smile with pride. So easily maneuvered and with skill as well. Needless to say, Asparuh was pleased with this younger generation. Asparuh wasn't expecting an offer to drink, but answered, "I wouldn't mind. I have some time on my hands as of the moment." Asparuh calculated the time he actually did have. Three hours before he would have to return to Europe for a short period. The Death Eater stared at the body and muttered with disgust, "The corpse will have attention soon. I doubt anyone can ignore the stench of it much longer." Asparuh smirked wickedly, and wondered whether the body was even identifiable to the public, considering what state it was in.

Thorine smiled and holding her hand to her face to stem the disgusting stench nodded.
"We can apparate to the Leaky Cauldron before anyone else comes" the sound of footsteps getting closer were audible. Passersby on the lane outside would have of course heard some of the commotion but had so far decided not to come this way.
She couldn't care less if more came and found them but she hadn't really planned on a blood bath today, so decided leaving now was for the best.

[set a thread up in the Leaky or just assume they went for a drink?]

Patrick could take no more and soon didn't have to. As the screams and wails of the banshee grew to near hysteric proportions, he knew it was over. He felt the curse hit him and was no more....

Esmerelda had told Patrick that she would meet up with him as soon as her own purchases were done. Andromeda had written to tell her that her uniform was becoming a bit on the embarressing side. Essie could well imagine it would be by now, the girl had grown at least another two inches and filled out with curves Essie thought were possibly indecent for a nearly 15yr old to have. As it was Andys birthday in another few days, she had decided to buy the new uniform as part of her gift. Knowing that Patrick had gotten her the scarlet streak and was going to post that on. He was no where near their meeting place and as she waited outside Borgin and Burkes Esmerelda looked at her timepiece. Ok, she had been ten minutes late herself but he knew she would still have come. Using her wand she banished her purchases back to the Gables and then making sure no one was about used her powers as an animagus to morph into the European speckled owl.

She flew high overhead and looked around for him, it was already late evening and she knew Patrick would not keep her waiting for just any old reason. As she flew further down over Bleak street, she saw smoke rising from something charred lying on the ground in a back alley. There seemed to be someone there hovering over whatever was burning. Essie landed and changed all in one fluid motion, wand at the ready.

"What is going on here?" she asked.

The figure of an elderly woman stood up from the body.
"I heard things, terrible things. I smelt the decay and came to see what was happening. I didn't come straight away as I was afraid but when I got here it was too late. It's a man, he's dead" she stepped back to reveal the charred remains of what did appear to be a man.

"Oh heavens help me" Essie put a hand to her mouth instantly, there was only one thing to do and that was bring the body to St. Mungos mortuary and contact the ministry.
"And you didn't see anyone else here?"

"No Miss, I think whoever was here apparated. There are traces of it about. If it's all the one to you ma'am I have to be on my way now" the old woman hobbled past leaving Esmerelda to the charred remains.

Essie sighed and covered her mouth with her hand before very carefully touching the body and apparating them to the mortuary in St. Mungos.

I guess this reply will be taken place before the discovery. And starting a new thread is all up to you.

Asparuh could hear the footsteps. Rather than making him nervous and edgy, it simply gave him some sort of pleasure as well. He liked for the victims to be discovered. It pleased him to read about it in the Daily Prophet. Asparuh did not feel the pleasure of having a mass killing spree. Those are best with a group, rather than just two. Asparuh nodded at Thorine, and with that, he apparated to the Leaky Cauldron. Today had been a pleasant to day to him, and would be even better once he got to Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back