OOC First Name
Emzies
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Ebony Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Griffin Feather
Daintree Vaskevold had been floating through life. He didn't have much going on but that wasn't a bad thing. Being able to sit back on his parent's wealth without doing any work himself was the life he wanted. Work was overrated, there were events to go to, places to see. But he was still living with Emily, in his large house and had offered to help her with an event at her bookstore. For free which was likely why she'd asked him, but he just decided to do it. He had nothing else on that day, so there was nothing stopping him. Emily was a good friend and she didn't get on his case much about the fact he didn't stick around in any job and was generally spending most of his time drinking and partying.

But the day had come and he was helping set up chairs for the reading. Making sure that they were laid out as Emily wanted. He didn't know the author and the hardback books on offer in the store didn't have a picture, but he figured it was some old lady who had been writing all of her life and spoke with a posh accent. Daintree glanced at the time and sighed slightly, getting back to unfolding and laying out the chairs. He'd make Emily buy him a round or two of drinks to make up for all this free labour later.

When Dot had made the decision to be a childrens book author, she hadn't considered that she would have to do a book reading. She supposed it wasn't... completely terrible, there was mostly children involved. But there was going to be their parents and bookstore staff. She took a deep breath, walking into the bookstore with her book clutched tightly to her chest. She wandered about for a bit, before eventually approaching a man who was setting up chairs.

"Excuse me?" She asked softly, biting her lip and knowing that her cheeks would match her pastel pink hair, braided over her shoulder. She'd thought over it a lot, and had eventually settled on a cute pink and white outfit, thinking it would look both cute and appropriate for a book reading. "I'm looking for a... Miss Hastings?" She offered shyly, proud that she didn't stammer as she said it.

Daintree heard someone come in but that wasn't his responsibility, the chairs and set up were. But the person who'd walked in had approached him. He glanced up at her and gave as charming a smile as he could. The woman in front of him was about his age, she had slightly pecuilar hair, but she was beautiful. Exceedingly beautiful.

"Oh Emily," he said after a moment of confusion as to who Miss Hastings was. "She's just in the back waiting for the author to arrive," he'd been about to suggest she take a seat, but if she was asking for Emily then she was the author or the author's daughter. "Are you Ms Nash?" he asked keeping his charming smile. He wanted to introduce himself, wanted to ask her out on a date but held back for now. He didn't want to scare off Emily's author by flirting immediately.

Dot nodded at his question, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Y-yes," she murmured, clutching her book tightly. "Dorothy Nash. Dot." She told him, resisting the urge to bite her lip. "I'm here for the reading?" She offered, doing her best to keep her stance straight and her heart from pounding too much. This was all so nerve racking, and she hadn't considered that a handsome man might be involved. The owner was a woman, and she had been prepared to try and not focus on the parents. "I-I am a bit... early," She offered gently.

Daintree glanced at the woman as she introduced herself, indeed being the author that Emily was hosting. He smiled at her, "Dot, that's a nice name," he complimented lightly, before nodding. "Oh that's no problem. I'm sure Emily will be happy that you're early rather than late," he assured her with a warm tone. "I'm Daintree, Dain, do you want a tea or coffee?" he offered, since he'd definitely help her out if she wanted something. Keep her busy until Emily was ready. "I'm here for whatever you need," his tone was a little flirty as he said it, unable to stop himself from flirting with her.

Dot thought she was doing rather well, she was talking to a cute man without stammering and making a fool of herself. Or at least, until he complimented her name. She blushed deeply, swallowing hard. "T-thanks," She stammered, brushing at her bangs and lowering her eyes. She took a breath, composing herself, and raised her eyes back to his. "Oh, absolutely," She agreed, smiling shyly. "I prefer to arrive early, it gives me time to coordinate and adjust to the vibe of wherever I am," She rambled a little, twisting her hair around her finger.

She resisted the urge to bite her lip, not wanting to mess up her lip gloss, when he asked about a drink. "Oh, just water, please," She asked, preferring the simple drink when she was out and about. She blushed a bit again as he spoke, though she wasn't sure why. "O-oh, erm, thank you," She smiled shyly. "So, erm... where is the reading?" She asked a little lamely.

Daintree gave her a flirty smile at her thanks, holding her gaze as she looked at him. Her smile was quite cute, though he had to admit her overall vibe was just very cute. The man gave a little at her, smiling at her rambling. "See I'm usually late, but have no one to blame but myself, and then I ruin whatever vibe a place has," he replied, keeping his tone light and jokey. "The vibe you've gone for today will match perfectly, you look very lovely," he added, "I like the pink hair," he told her motioning to it.

Daintree nodded, "Sure, if you just follow me," he guided her to a water stand they had and poured her a glass of it, using a bit of conjuring magic to get her a straw for it too. "It'll be there, in the centre of the store, we've created the space for it," Daintree told her with a warm smile, "I'll admit I haven't actually read your book, I'm not much of a reader anymore," he said with an apologetic shrug, still smiling throughout.

Dot twirled a bit of hair around her finger, lowering her gaze. "Oh, I'm sure that you couldn't bring down the vibe," She offered gently, hiding a bit behind her bangs. She blushed at his compliments, unable to help a shy giggle. "Oh, t-thank you," She murmured. "I- I really like pink, it's- soft, and comforting, and- well, I don't have anyone in my life, r-really, so- so I try to take comfort where I can," She winced, knowing how ridiculous she must sound.

She took a deep breath, trying to center herself. She trailed after him, taking the drink with a shy smile. "Thanks," She murmured. So, he was magic, too. Dot was used to that by now, ignoring the little feeling that there was something wrong with her. She sipped on her water, peeking to where he indicated. "You don't?" She asked, peeking up at him. "That's certainly a clash of interests, since your- girlfriend? owns a book store," She offered, looking back down to her water. It might have been a bit presumptuous, but Dot couldn't help it- Emily was a beautiful, intelligent woman, certainly worthy of such a handsome, charismatic man.

Daintree gave her a smile at her…was it a compliment. "That's very sweet of you, Dot," he told her, making sure that his tone was warm and was friendly enough. She seemed to take the compliment well, aside from the mentioning of no one. He decided to not say anything, he'd just met her, it would be rude for him to make her talk about it. Especially before she was now to speak.

Daintree glanced at Dot with a frown…his girlfriend…"Oh god no," he then laughed lightly. "Emily is a dear and close friend, but no she's not my girlfriend, never has been, never will be," the man said, laughing lightly. God, he liked Emily, but just…not his type. "She's amazing, but no. I am single, for now," he told her with a little raise of his eyebrow. "What about you?" Though she had said that she had no one in her life, it didn't mean that she wasn't being courted by someone else. Perhaps it was a forward question, but he was interested in taking her out on a date.

Dot felt an odd little rush of relief when he insisted that he was single. She tucked her hair back, pointedly not looking at him. "She's lucky to have such a good friend in you," She offered shyly. It must be nice to have a friend like that. She finally peeked up at him when he asked the question, and shook her head. "Oh, no, I'm not- I don't really know anyone, I'm on my own," She offered, looking back around again to try and look casual. "When does the reading start?"

Daintree gave a little shrug at the statement. He thought he was a good friend too, but he wasn't going to say it, or agree too much with it. Not when it might backfire on him. He was a little surprised that Dot wasn't seeing anyone. She did seem shy, but she was beautiful. He couldn't have been the first to think to ask her out, or flirt with her. ”Oh, I'm a bit surprised, I would've expected people were always asking you out,” he told her with a little smile. ”Soon, I'm sure,” he said, he could spot some people beginning to line up at the door. ”After the reading, can I take you out? On a coffee or dinner date?” he asked. He figured he might as well just ask and see what happened. Daintree thought she was pretty and thought he was being charming, no harm in just asking.

Dot was taken aback by his words, quickly shaking her head. "Oh, no, no one ever really pays me much mind," She was quick to say, starting to move closer to where her chair had been sat down. She froze, though, when he spoke again, looking back to him with wide eyes. "O-oh," She stammered, blushing and looking down immediately. "I-I'm sure you have better things to do," She managed, moving to her chair and sitting down quickly.

Daintree was a little surprised that people didn't take an interest in her, she was beautiful. Maybe a bit shy, but there had to guys like him who were forward who should've asked her out already. He gave a little chuckle at her statement. ”I really don't,” he told her with an amused tone. ”You can probably get Emily's agreement on that too,” he said jokingly. ”Doesn't need to be anything fancy, I could take you for coffee, or a picnic, or just a walk,” he just wanted the chance to have a date with her. If she seemed adament to say no, he'd let it go, but she hadn't actually said no, just claimed he could have better things to do.

Dot was almost speechless, looking up to him with wide eyes and a deep blush. "I- um," She stammered, swallowing hard. "I... I suppose that um- well-" She took a deep breath, hugging her book tighter to her chest. "Well- I guess... if- if you really want," She offered slowly. "I... you could walk me home?" She managed, peeking up through her hair. "Just- just to talk?"

Daintree was really hoping for that first date, but she seemed a little nervous about it. Eventually offering to let him take her home. It wasn't what he wanted, but it was something he could do. "Of course, I'd love to walk you home, Dot," he gave a charming smile to her. He spotted Emily just glaring at him a little. "That's Emily there, I'll be here when you are all good to walk you home," he wouldn't get in the way while she gave her talk. And would wait until she was ready for him to take her home.

Dot couldn't help but feel nervous as the man agreed to it. She felt unbelievably flustered, but she tried to push it aside. She hadn't thought he would agree to it. But she had come here for a reason, so she hurried away from Daintree and over to Emily. She didn't notice the daggers Emily kept shooting at the man when Dot was going over the plan for the reading and not looking at the woman.

She moved over to the chair she'd been designated, taking a long drink of her water as the parents started to file in with their children. She was only reading a few chapters of the book- a mystery in the fairy realm full of magic and adventure- but she fell into it easily. Before she knew it the reading had finished, she'd finished signing books and talking to the kids. She was really in her element with that, just spending time with all the children.

Eventually, the bookstore had emptied out a bit again. She spoke with Emily a bit, thanking her for the time and the opportunity. She had already handled payment so after she said her goodbyes to Emily, Dot took a deep, stabilizing breath and turned to see if Daintree was still hanging about, part of her hoping that he had left already.

Dot's book was certainly not for him, a young adult man, but despite that, he found it fascinating. It was such a good book, such an interesting story. He had helped Emily tidy up, using his magic to put away chairs as the room cleared up. He was working hard, doing it as quickly as he could, knowing that if he did it too slowly, Emily would not let him leave. But things had been cleared away, and Daintree spotted Dot by the door, waiting or perhaps looking for him. He moved towards her, summoning his jacket and slipping it on. ”Ready to go?” he said, keeping a distance from her to not overwhelm her.

Dot straightened when Daintree appeared, a blush covering her cheeks. She hesitated, before nodding gently. "I- yes," She folded her hands in front of her, letting out a little breath. She stepped aside, motioning for him to go out the door. "I don't live all that far, really, it's... well, about a thirty minute walk." She admitted gently, worried that he wouldn't want to go with her, and surprised with herself for worrying that he'd change his mind.

Daintree smiled at her, he opened the door for her and motioned for her to go first. ”That's okay. I don't mind the walk,” he said, ”Wizards get lazy with apparition,” he added, making some fun of himself and wizards. Knowing that it was right, that he didn't walk nearly as much as his non-apparating counterparts. ”Your book was fascinating,” he said. ”I know I'm not your target demographic, but I really liked it,”

Dot bit her tongue, not wanting to comment on the fact that she was a squib so soon. She didn't know why he was bothering to talk to her as it was, and she knew once he knew that he knew what she was, whatever fleeting interest this was would evaporate. She giggled shyly as he complimented her book. "I'm glad you liked it," She offered gently. "It's the third book in the series. I'm thinking of ending the story there, but the publisher has been asking me for another." She tucked her hair behind her ear. "It was really only a trilogy, but I might be able to expand on the universe," She told him honestly, finding it easier to talk about her books than anything else.

Daintree nodded, he had thought it was in a series, as the characters from the reading had seemed established in a sense that had to imply these characters were known to people. ”If you think the story ends with this one, then it should,” he told her. He was sure he could get the publisher information from Emily, maybe throw his weight around if she ran into trouble, but he didn't offer it. ”Tell a complete story, and then move on,” he said. ”Though I will say, the world seemed pretty amazing, I'm sure there are more stories to tell within it,” Daintree said. ”When did you know you wanted to be a writer?” he asked.

Dot wrapped her arms around herself, considering his words. "I might be able to put together a different set of characters... same universe, different stories." She mused, chewing on the inside of her lip. When he asked about why, she sighed. "My parents were never the most... actively involved in my life. And I've never been the best at making friends. I was always frail, small... sick. Eventually I had to make my own," She watched where she was walking, watched her shoes against the road.

Daintree listened to her, thinking that she had to be just so very creative if she did. Far more than he was or could ever hope to be. The man was surprised at what she said, having not expected that to be her story or for her to tell it. "Well, those friends in that book seem really nice," he said, not lingering on her parents but putting the information to the back of his mind. "My father's a pretty busy man, so, I was largely raised by my brother," he offered, with the barest of details. "I used to make friends easily but, only because I tended to buy their friendship," he admitted to her. It wasn't something he'd done once he'd gotten to Hogwarts, partly because the money wasn't the same. "But, I just became jaded, not creative, creating a pretty amazing set of stories,"

Dot smiled shyly. "Thanks," She murmured. She considered his words. "Did you have to buy Emilys friendship?" She asked, brow furrowing. She hadn't spoken to Emily long, but she didn't seem like the type to be that impressed by money. She hesitated a moment, slowing on the sidewalk, and very shyly brushed her fingers over the back of his hand. "I... maybe... we could be friends?" She offered gently, peeking up at him through her lashes. "I don't really care about money..." She added, wanting to make sure he knew that it didn't really matter to her.

Daintree laughed lightly at the idea. ”I think Emily would sooner throw the money into an open fire,” he said. He had always appreciated Emily's friendship because of her ability to not care. To do things by her own means when, if she wanted to, he could solve most of her issues. He glanced at Dot as she brushed her fingers on the back of his hand, and he smiled. So maybe he wasn't barking up the wrong tree with her. ”I'd like to be friends, but I'm also interested in dating you, Dot,” he told her, being up front about it. ”You're beautiful Dot, and you seem lovely, I'm not going to hide my intentions,” he half explained. Hoping she got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back