After the Yule Ball

Ford Harkonnen

Wand
It's made of wood, I suppose
Hand in hand with Lily, Ford strode towards the lakefront. [color=3B5323]"It seems as though the Hospital Wing has changed since I was last there," he smirked, [color=3B5323]"Perhaps we have made a wrong turn somewhere?"</FONT><FONT font="arial">[/color][/color]

Lily walked besides Ford, not really knowing what to think. Suddenly she looked up and realized they were down by the lake. "Yeah, I guess this looks alot different than last time I was there," she giggled. "Much more open and the lake is so sparkley tonight." Lily liked the way that the moon was glinting off the lake's surface.

Ford looked over the lake, it was a rather nice night, despite the chill breeze blowing across the lake. [color=3B5323]"You'd think they would have the ball outside, I'm sure there is some sort of warming spell."<i></i>[/color]

"That would be rather nice. I think maybe I will have to remember that for the Valentine's Banquet for the Sorority. Maybe we will have it out of the tent instead of inside if we can figure out the warming spell," Lily responded, rubbing her left arm with her free right hand. Her left was still in Ford's.

Ford looked down, [color=3B5323]"Cold?" Ford asked and put his arm around Lily.<i></i>[/color]

Lily's stomach did a little flip again. What am I thinking? But this feels so nice. I am so stupid. Sophia will so kill me for going for a walk with her man. Aw, hell. Screw it. Its probably only tonight anyways. Might as well enjoy it. Lily leaned in closer to Ford as his arm was around her. "Not too cold anymore," she said, looking up at him and smiling. Her cheeks flushed again, and she hoped it was just dark enough for him not to see. "So can I assume your injuries are feeling much better now?"

[color=3B5323]"Much," Ford said and flexed his arms; the pain in his elbows had reduced to a dull ache, [color=3B5323]"This hospital is better than the other one."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> He looked down at Lily, [color=3B5323]"How about you? I hope that I didn't injure you too badly."[/color]

For the first time since he had hit Lily, Ford thought about Sophia, but the only emoiton that came to mind was anger. It came on like a hurricane, but Ford pushed it to the back of his mind as quickly and forcefully as possible, he was actually enjoying himself. [/color]
[/color]

Lily looked up at Ford, her smile growing at his compliment. "I am feeling okay. I think I will be a bit stiff tomorrow, but no worse for wear. I kinda am enjoying being in the hospital at the moment. Much better service than ever before I think."

Lily moved a bit closer to Ford as they walked along, realizing that she liked being around him. She finally decided that she needed to ask him what was on her mind. "So, can I ask you something?" she started tenetively, not wanting to ruin the moment, "What was going on between you and Bruin?"

Ford had not expected that question at all, and his first emotional reaction was to get angry at Lily for bringing it up. But something about the night had given him the control to push that instinct down, he sighed, [color=3B5323]"I'm not certain as to where to start, however, I will give some backstory," he seemed rather in control for what he was discussing, [color=3B5323]"There has always been some...tension between Bruin and I about Sophia,"</FONT><FONT font="arial"> the name rolled off his tongue in a derisive sneer, [color=3B5323]"After we broke up a year or so ago, she got close to Bruin and after we got back together...he always seemed to be there."[/color] Ford paused to collect his thoughts, was control he had was beginning to unravel, [color=3B5323]"Whenever I'd bring it up, it seemed as though Sophia would brush it off and have me dancing like a puppet to her schemes,"[/color] his words were now drenched in anger. He closed his eyes, trying to calm himself, [color=3B5323]"Sorry,"[/color] Ford apologized.

Why am I saying all this? Ford thought, thoroughly confused. Perhaps all the emotion just needed to come out, maybe this is why people went to psychologists.

[color=3B5323]"I guess tonight was just one thing too many,"[/color] he shrugged.[/color]
[/color]

Lily walked in silence as Ford spoke. She had a feeling it had something to do with Sophia, but she had no idea as to how much. She had seen Sophia yelling at them to stop. Now she really was wondering if things were over with her, or if she was going to have to watch her back for taking a walk with Sophia's guy. She realized that he was struggling to keep his emotions in check when he apologized.

At that moment she stopped walking and turned in his arms towards him. She reached up and brushed back a piece of hair from his forehead. "There is nothing to be sorry for. I shouldn't have asked. I'm the one who should be sorry for making you explain all of that." She looked at him, her eyes conveying how bad she felt for dragging it up.

[color=3B5323]"No, it is fine," Ford said, [color=3B5323]"You didn't know, and besides I feel better after that," his expression was noticably lighter and he flashed a mischievious grin.</FONT><FONT font="arial">[/color][/color]

Lily smiled at the grin he just gave her. "You know. I don't think I have ever seen you smile this much before. I like it." She looked at him tenderly, then asked softly, "Can I ask you one more thing?"

Ford grinned at Lily, Damn their feminine wiles! [color=3B5323]"Sure, what is it?"<i></i>[/color]

Lily took a quick breath in, then softly asked, "Are you and Sophia still together?" She was not really sure she wanted to hear the answer, but she needed to know. She did not want to be the 'other woman' in the situation.

Ford grimaced, but quickly turned it to a neutral expression, [color=3B5323]"No," he answered succinctly, but kindly. [color=3B5323]"After tonight, we are done. I am done."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> [/color][/color]

In her head, Lily gave a huge sigh of relief. Even if Sophia had anything to say to her, she was able to respond that they were broken up before she took a walk with Ford. However, for now, she would stay out of Sophia's way. She looked at him with a gentle smile on her face. "I am sorry that you had to go through that, but I am kinda glad to. I am enjoying our time in the hospital alot." She winked at Ford, then hoping that she would be able to get him to smile again.

Ford nodded in agreement, [color=3B5323]"I do believe this to be the best hospital visit I've ever had," he grinned, [color=3B5323]"I should come down here more often."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> [/color][/color]

Lily didn't know where the sudden boldness was coming from, but she spoke what she would not have dared say even a few hours ago. "I think that the company is the best part of this visit." She smiled up at Ford, still standing in front of him from where they had stopped.

Ford felt himself relaxing with each passing minute. His time with Sophia had been great, but this was too. But it was a different type of great. Part of the knowledge that Sophia would be infuriated satisfied and excited him. He felt the familiar adrenaline rush he got when flying or exploring setting in. [color=3b5323]"The company is probably the best part, Ford agreed, [color=3b5323]"Or it may just be that delicious pumpkin pie."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> He concluded in a manner completely unknown to Ford previously: playfully.[/color][/color]

Lily felt the butterflies in her stomach flip a bit as Ford spoke. She was still in a sort of shock that she was here talking with him. They had barely ever spoken before, and now she was getting to know him and was really liking it. She raised her eyebrow at his last comment. "The pie? Really? Well, I didn't actually have any, so I think I will go with the company." Her blue eyes sparkled with happiness. "So, do you want to continue to walk or do we want to stay put for a bit yet?" Lily was not opposed to either, but she was not sure if Ford wanted to stay put much longer.

[color=3b5323]"I think I should wait for a bit," Ford said, [color=3b5323]"I would rather not encounter her on my way to bed for the night."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> He looked along the shore, which was littered with driftwood, which must have been tossed into the lake from a storm, [color=3b5323]"We could possibly start a little fire, it is a good night for one.[/color][/color][/color]

Lily looked where Ford appeared to be looking. "You know, I think that sounds like a good idea. You know much about lighting a bonfire?"

[color=3b5323]"A little," Ford said, [color=3b5323]"Lighting fires in abandoned buildings teaches you quick about what works and what doesn't, like gasoline cans."</FONT><FONT font="arial"> He continued in a dry tone as he searched for a good place to start a fire.[/color][/color]

Lily tilted her head to the left and looked at Ford with a raised eyebrow. "Abandoned buildings? Well, it sounds like you have had a much more interesting life than I have so far. Where did you do that kinda stuff?" she asked curiously. She had no idea of his background, and was interested in getting to know him better.

Ford pulled out his wand and almost incanted accio wood, however quickly determined that to be a bad idea, considering the amount of wood present around them. He covered the maneuver by spinning it around his fingers, moving from the index finger to the pinky and back again. [color=3b5323]"Sydney," he answered, [color=3b5323]"Having an invalid aunt as your caretaker has certain perks, like easily being able to sneak out."</FONT><FONT font="arial">[/color][/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back