After the holidays

Andrew Bruke

Andrew was feeling dreamy this sunday morning. He yawned as he dressed into black jeans and a blue shirt. He was feeling a bit hot in the castle since his arrival yesterday. He took it that the winter and snow in the Smokey mountains would take a time to wear off and in a week or so he will be used to the weather here in New Zealand.

Andrew had really enjoyed his trip with Jacob to America where they lived with Jake's cousins, the Montez family. You are back in school, so don't dream about camps anymore, he told himself as he walked to the Slytherin table for breakfast. Settling down he scanned the table and found out that most of the people he knew were not here, sleeping maybe or jogging early morning. He took a piece of toast and some boiled eggs and served himself.

This was when he remembered, although he could never forget her, that Caina Dante, his best friend at Hogwarts had not talked to him after coming back. Or maybe it was the other way around. But you just got back last night, he reminded himself and ate his breakfast hoping to meet her in the common room after he was done. He had loads to tell her, to ask her, to know if she liked his gift, he couldn't wait.

The school was a nice change from where Caina had been the past break. Sure she loved the Shorts but still she hated the fact that she missed people so much. Mostly just Andrew. Why did Caina miss him so? In her mind she made herself believe that it was just because they were best friends and nothing more. They were just best friends and Caina knew that would never change. The blonde shouldn't want it to change. Be happy with what you have She thought with a smile as she finished getting ready in her dorm room. Pulling her hair up into a messy bun, Caina walked out of the dorms and right to the great hall. Boy was she starving.

Entering the great hall her eyes focused on Andrew right away. The smile on her face increasing. How she missed her best friend. With a small bounce in her step, she walked over towards the Slytherin house table and took a seat next to him. "Hey" She said brightly as she poured herself some orange juice taking a sip before continuing with the conversation that was about to begin.

"I missed you over break. Hope you had a good time" She continued glancing over in his direction for a minute flashing him another smile of course. The smile always seemed to fall on her face when she was around him. It was just natural. That's what happens when you hang out with friends She reminded herself almost in a convincing way stating that it was nothing more than that.

Andrew ate his toast as he wrote a letter to Dervish and Banges to develop the photographs that he had taken over the holidays. The store made a potion that would develop moving pictures. Andrew was glad that Mal had bought him the new version camera which was slim and could also assist in producing such photographs. For those who knew his hobbies, knew he loved and had a passion for photography.

"Hey Caina" he said swallowing his toast as fast as possible. Some of the bits got stuck in his throat and so he choked and drank some water. "Sorry, over excited to see you" he said going a bit red. "I missed you too" he admitted with a smile at his best friend. "Yeah, it was awesome in America, in Smokey mountains with Jake and his family" he said grinning as he tied the letter that he had wrote to his owl and it flew away.

"How was your stay with the Shorts?"he asked her sipping his coffee. "I just sent the Devish and Banges a letter to ask them to develop my photographs that I have taken over the holidays. It was winter there and we went camping and then played snowball fights, skied, although I suck in that" he said remembering the holidays. "And Jake had a cousin, Hannah, she's fourteen, totally awesome. She was a tomboy, as Jake knew her but she changes. She plays excellent soccer, she scored a goal on me twice" he said all in one breath. Andrew was too excited to talk to Caina.

Her eyes stayed on Andrew as he began to speak though as he looked as if he was choking for a moment her eyes flashed with a hint of concern. Only moments later did she let out a small laugh at his reasoning. He's excited to see me She thought happily not quite knowing or maybe just not exactly admitting as to why she was so thrilled with this simple fact. This Slytherin noticed the red on Andrew's cheeks but decided to ignore it. She hated when people commented on her own blushing, though she didn't hate it as much as the fact she blushed around Andrew quite a bit at times, so Caina kept her mouth closed about this taking yet another sip of her orange juice.

"Smokey Mountains nice" Caina agreed nodding her head. Andrew as probably going to have tons of interesting stories to tell her and alas Caina would have few. Not that she minded at all. Really she loved to hear Andrew talk in general. There conversations always seemed to be on her top to do list. In a good way of course.

Upon hearing the question about her own holidays, she shrugged slightly. "It was nice. We went to an indoor waterpark and had a blast. Emma and I stayed in line for an hour waiting for one water slide. But it was completely worth it" Caina explained smiling slightly at the thought. Ana-Cole had not enjoyed herself as much as both Emma and Caina yet really Caina had to admit that wasn't her own problem or concern. Pushing it out of mind she listened to Andrew talk about his photos. "I should have known you have plenty of photos" She said smiling happy to see them.

This Slytherin had taken photographics of her own yet she doubted that they were anything brilliant like Andrew's. Caina reached in front of her grabbing a blueberry bagel as she listened to Andrew continued to talk about snow ball fights and such. A laugh escaped her when he said he was no good at it. Yet when he talked about Jake's fourteen year old cousin, a small bit of jealousy welled up in Caina. let it go Caina thought taking a bit of the bagel. Finishing chewing she took yet another sip before she spoke again. "It sounded like a blast Andrew. I'll have to visit the dorm and see the photos when you get them back" She said thinking about the last time she had wondered up to Andrew's dorm.

"I'll bring my pictures I took as well. But be for warned they are just plain muggle photos not moving or anything." She commented knowing that moving photographs would probably freak her mother and aunts out. Though the thought was indeed fun to think about, Caina however didn't want to move into that territory not when things seemed to be okay in the family environment.

"That's nice" he said with a smile as he heard about Caina's holidays. "I wouldn't like swimming if you ask me" he said once again going a bit red. "I can't swim, nearly drowned once in the lake, lucky Isabella saved me" he said remembering the memory of that little accident. "But if it's shallow with slides and all, it would have been fun" he said with a smile taking a sip of the pumpkin juice.

"Yeah, of course. You are welcome, anytime in my dorm" he said with a grin. "You know what's the best part of this term?"he asked her still grinning. "We get to do our elective together" he said happily chewing his toast. "That's okay, I am used to muggle pictures having grown up in muggle world" he said as she mentioned that her pictures wouldn't be moving.

"So, what are your plans for today?"he asked her. "Don't tell me you are going on a date with someone you got to know in the holidays" he said playfully. "Or, it would break my heart" he said, the last part was to a certain extent true but of course he wasn't going to admit that to himself.

Caina smiled slightly as Andrew began to talk again yet she was however surprised that Andrew couldn't swim. The smile however remained on her face, shaking her head slightly. "I can't believe you can't swim" Caina said. "But yeah the slides were fun. Too bad I didn't get a tan though" She said looking at her pale skinned arms. That was one thing about Caina. She never tanned. If she went out in the sun for too long she could burn then just turn pale once more. Good thing she was never too concerned with getting tan.

Though the open invit to Andrew's dorm may Caina let out a small laugh. "I wouldn't give me that offer. I may never leave" She joked knowing that she would probably be visiting more often as long as that dreadful snake wasn't around. How she hated snakes in general.

"Oh yes Electives should be enjoyable. As long as I pay attention this semester. My grades sort of slipped last one" Caina said not bothering too much with it. As long as this Slytherin passed she would find herself doing alright. Just as long as she passed everything should work out. Yet she really did have a slight urge to do better in classes at least some of her classes that was.

Caina thought about her plans for that day. Sadly she didn't have any, but she wouldn't mind messing with Andrew just for a bit. See his reactions. "Well actually I met this one guy in sixth year" Caina began as she took another sip from her cup. "He seems nice enough. You'd probably like him" Caina continued keeping her voice in check trying not to break out in laugher.

Andrew said with a smile "I topped every subject" and he was very glad about that. Since he had broke up with Zuka his grades had been going high as he could concentrate more on his studies. But the tarot reading kept crossing his mind. Who or what did the Love card mean?, I got it thrice? He didn't want to get into a relationship with anyone, not when it would cost him grades.

Andrew choked on the pumpkin juice as Caina said about a sixth year guy. He knew perfectly well that he was no one to tell Caina on whom to go out with nor was he supposed to be getting jealous but here he was doing that very thing. "Oh!" he said a bit disappointed. "Is he from hogwarts?"he asked Caina as a sadness fell on his face although he didn't show it.

(U can carry on with the act, it would be fun)

Caina rolled her eyes as Andrew said that he topped every subject. "I might have to let you tutor me one of these days then" Caina teased knowing that she really didn't need a tutor or course it could help but she wouldn't accept any help. Caina would just have to pull herself together this semester and top every subject much like Andrew.

Though as Andrew began to chock on the pumpkin juice, Caina looked at him with a bit of worry. "You okay?" She asked tilting her head to the side slightly keeping up her whole 'act' the entire time. It wasn't like Andrew would care that she was interested in another guy. Why would he care at all. Well other than the fact he may be slightly protective having a best friend nature in him, but nothing more. Right?

"Yeah he's from Hogwarts." Caina said "In Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw I forget" Caina said casually shrugging her shoulders. She took a sip for her glass glancing out of the corner of her eye at Andrew. Reactions. She wanted some sort of reaction.

Andrew ignored the tutoring reply he had recieved from Caina. He was much more intrested in the guy she was talking about. How long have they been together? he thought and then tried to act normal as if he didn't care about it. He assured himself that it was just his protective behaviour for his best friend that had caused this sort of feelings in his stomach.

He couldn't help asking. His insides wanted to know very badly what Caina was doing with the guy. "So..are you guys..you know..dating?"he asked her going a bit red. He couldn't let Caina get an air about the debate taking place between his mind and his heart at the moment. "You know..just be careful..the Gossip Mag.." his mind made him say. That would make a listener think as if he were only caring about Caina not getting another blow from the mag but deep down he knew it wasn't that. He wouldn't accept what was going on inside him because he knew it would bring him no good.

Her blue eyes turned to Andrew seeing his face turn red as he asked about his question. He seemed confused about somjething or was he just thinking. "Andrew" She said finally shaking her head slightly. A smile was clear on her face now. "You are so gullible at times and your reactions are always so interesting" She continued almost wishing he had better reactions. Really it was that she wanted him to be mad jealous showing that he liked her more than a friend. Maybe that would have made Caina feel better about the feelings she was realizing she had for Andrew.

"I haven't met any guy. Trust me there aren't many in the school that would even do a double take in my direction" She added with a slight laugh though the truthfullness of the statement hurt her. Though this Slytherin kept that small hinting of reality out of her mind for now. Really she needed to start dating but her choices were slim. Truthfully she had only had feelings for one guy, the one guy that thought nothing of her other than friendship.

Andrew was confused when Caina said his reactions were interesting. He didn't know what that meant but when Caina said she hadn't met any guy, he smiled. "Well, I doubt that. As to what I have heard in the boys lavatory about the fourth year blondie they keep talking about and I can bet it's you" he said with a sigh.

"There aren't any other fourth year girls who are beautiful and blonde" he said with a smile. "But, I have to put you into the 'good joke-maker' category in my personal diary" he said with a grin. Andrew didn't understand the emotions that dwelled in his heart. At times he had feelings for Caina yet he wouldn't accept that fact and simply tried to convince that it was just friendship they could have.

Caina let out a small laugh nudging Andrew slightly. Were guys really talking about her or was he just making it up to make her feel better. Either way it was working to a small extent. "If that's the case you better watch out. Next Yule Ball you may actually have to find a real date" She said teasing of course. Truthfully Caina loved to go the balls with Andrew. Everyone seemed to comment on how cute of a couple they were even if they weren't a couple. At least some others thought there was hope that maybe in the future. Don't think about it that way Caina thought to herself as she took a bite of the food that had been sitting on her plate as the two of them had been talking.

Her face lighting up a small amount of red when Andrew said his next comment. The one word 'beautiful' stuck out in her mind. Yet it was crushed when she reminded herself that he was her best friend. He was biased that was just how things were. "Okay you are seriously going to give me a big head" She said with a soft smile as she looked over at Andrew for a moment.

"You have a diary?" She asked without an ounce of thought put behind it. The thought of Andrew having a diary was way too cute. Many guys she knew how one yet no one was brave or confident enough to admit it. Leave it to Andrew. Caina thought happily

"I don't want a date" he said seriously. "Caina can you help me figure out one thing?"he asked his voice dropping down to a whisper. The cards were bothering him to death and then people mentioning him with a date, that was way too much. Although Caina didn't take Divination, Andrew was sure he could trust her with something like this.

"Um..yeah I keep a diary" he said once again going red. "But, no one read's it. I have protected it well" he said with a grin. "So..?"he said waiting to know if Caina was ready to help him.

Caina was taken back slightly by Andrew's comment. She decided not to push the topic any further. Why would she want to bother Andrew into wanting to date someone other than herself. Because you are going to be a good friend Caina thought as her mind flickered around with the available girls that where around the school in their age bracket that would be worth Andrew's time. None of them seemed good enough but still Caina knew she had to try at one point. Not now though.

"Oh yeah sure of course" Caina said surprised at Andrew's tone and request. Though she couldn't help but wonder what Andrew needed help with. Yet she couldn't help but smile softly when Andrew went red again. He was blushing quite a bit. Actually Caina found it adorable. Not making a comment on the diary, she nodded her head simple.

"So go on with it" This Slytherin said smiling at Andrew still a little mind boggled as to what he was needing help with and why he was asking Cania. She wasn't the best at giving advice thoguh she did try.

"Well, you know in Divination.." he started with a nervous smile. "We were reading tarot cards, Now we started with past, present and future card. Then we did the Celtic Cross, thats something complex but it has a card called 'Near Future' and then we did tarot reading with muggle cards.." he explained her hoping he was making sense as he did so.

"Now, in all these readings you know..they are related to the reader. Like I read for myself. So...I got this 'Love' card in near future all three times" he said once again going red. "And you know, I keep thinking what it means..." he told her hoping she wouldn't laugh at this.

Caina held her cup in her hand as Andrew spoke. Taking a sip every now and then she made sure to listen to every word. Though Caina believed in Divination to a tee she had never had time to actually take the class. Maybe that was one mistake she had made. Maybe if she had, she would be able to help Andrew more as he explained what he had done in the class. Why is he asking for help from me for Divination She wondered a bit confused.

Yet as Andrew mentioned the love card her mouth fell open for but a second or two. Closing her mouth quickly she looked down in the cup in her hand. She didn't look up at Andrew for a short while. Divination wasn't always correct and who was to say Andrew getting the love card would even mean Caina. Maybe it would mean another girl. After all Moments before Caina was hoping to set him up with someone. The confused thoughts of this teenager continued as she finally brought her eyes up to Andrew. "Maybe you do have a relationship in your future afterall" She said flashing him a smile.

"I mean I bet any girl would go out with you. It's not like you would have difficulty. Just go ask one of them" Caina said this time looking down at her plate hating that she truly did say those words. No Caina didn't want Andrew to go out with any other girl but she wanted him to be happy. Who was to say he wouldn't be happy around some other girl? "Can't fight fate afterall" Caina smiled looking back up at him waiting for a reaction any reaction. Hoping he wasn't catching her reactions to the topic.

"That's the whole point. I don't want to get into relationship with anyone. I don't want to be asked out nor to ask anyone out. I even wouldn't like being back with Zuka" he said hoping she would understand how he felt.

"I have realised that life isn't about going out with girls. After I broke up with Zuka my scores reached the sky. I am able to concentrate on Qudditch and studies and I have all my time to myself. I am not dedicated to anyone and want it to be that way." he said with a sigh pushing away his breakfast not feeling hungry anymore.

"The worst part of it is that when you brake up, you lose your friends" he said knowing how close he and Kirsty and he and Zuka had been before they started dating and broke up."Once you brake up. Imagine we could be going out and we brake up...." the thought made him shudder. "I would lose such a close friend and I don't want it to be that way..."

I don't want to get into relationship with anyone Andrew's words sunk into Caina hurting more than she ever imagined. "Anyone?" She whispered letting the questioning word come out without she could stop it. Maybe he didn't hear that Caina thought hopefully doubting that this was true. Instead she decided to just continue.

She listened to Andrew feeling worse with every statement. Carefully she placed the cup down on the talbe looking at Andrew still. Though the last few statements seemed to completely crush Caina's hopes. Imagine we could be going out and we break up. I would lose such a close friend and I don't want it that way She repeated his words in her head. Shaking her head slightly just to get them out of her mind.

"Yeah imagine that. Me and you" she said softly letting out a forced laugh as if that situation would be completely unrealistic and amusing. "Well then you don't need to go out with anyone right now. Maybe the love card was meant for the far away future" Caina said looking down at the plate of uneatten food. Her eyes glanced up at Andrew for a moment before looking down to the almost full plate.

"Yeah" he said with a sigh looking up at Caina. "Maybe it's for the far future .." he said thoughtfully. Why are you bothering her with your problems?? his mind questioned him. "I'm sorry to ruin your morning with all this" he said with an apologic smile. "Whatever is going to come will come and we shall face it when it does" he quoted remembering having read it somewhere. Yes, that felt better.

"How was your Christmas?"he asked her hoping to get on with lighter topics."Did you like my gift?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. "This is bad, taking a gift and giving me no credit" he joked, a grin finally appearing on his face. "You know how hard it was for me to decided what to get you. I was almost killed by girls when I entered a palour to get you some beauty products" he said remembering the memory very clearly.

(BTW I have gifted you the latest camera from Dervish and Banges, not beauty products ;-) )

Caina wasn't sure what she wanted to do right now. Leaving was something that seemed like the perfect solution well at least it seemed perfect. The only problem was that it would show that this conversation was making Caina uncomfortable and uneasy. That wasn't something that this Slytherin was ready to do.

Luckily the subject was changed just in time. Twisting a strand of her blonde hair carefully she smiled at Andrew thinking about Christmas in general. "It was fine" Caina said knowing that her family celebrated Christmas though she was more into the celebration of Yule. Either way it was related to about the same holiday worked out well. "Oh yeah you're gift. Thanks a bunch" Caina said smiling brightly as she thought about Andrew's gift that he had given her a camera all of her own.

"You might have to teach me how to use it though" Caina added laughing a bit at Andrew's next comment. Getting trampled by girls in a beauty palour didn't sound like too much fun. Something Caina knew from experience wasn't the best. Though truthfully she had been on both sides of that simple situation. "I'm so lucky I have you as a friend" Caina said truthfully leaning over and giving Andrew a small hug. For a moment her heart skipped a beat.

"Anytime, I am ready to teach as long as I get to be with you" he said with a smile. "I am glad you liked it" he added as he hugged back. "I am honored to have you as a friend" he said with a grin. A thought came into his mind as the topic of friendship was being discussed. "You know, we are so good friends and all..." he said thoughtfully as he imagined the thing that he said next.

"What if a boy wants to ask you out but isn't because of me?" he said feeling guilty and jealous at the same time. Andrew knew he wouldn't be able to offer Caina anything more then friendship and yet he knew she would be there for him when he needed her. But she has her own life which is being spoilt by you he thought miserably. "I mean... many have thought of us as a couple. What if that might be the reason you haven't been asked out?"he said in almost a whisper as the fact that what he said was very true came into his mind.

A jolt of jealousy rose in him at one side while guilt at the other. One side, the friend one said that if needed he would have to break their friendship if someone who liked Caina would want it that way. The other side said that he were to break his friendship and go into a relationship with her to prove to all those dung heads who wanted Caina to be theirs that Caina belonged to Andrew. What is that you are thinking? She'll never chose you also if you were the last boy on earth. She likes you as a friend, he thought sadly.

Her cheeks couldn't help but turn a gentle pink colour as Andrew stated that he would teach her how to use the camera as long as he got to spend time with her. Friends spend time with each other. Enough said Caina thought almost forcefully. She wasn't going to let this little crush she was developing ruin her and Andrew's friendship. After all Andrew didn't want a girlfriend not anyone, most certainly not Caina. This Slytherin was just going to have to forget about it, if only she could.

The next question however caught Caina off guard. She let out a nervous little laugh as she thought about it, still listening to Andrew continue his thoughts. "Andrew I doubt you will have to worry about that." Caina said almost positive that this was the truth. "No guy is going to ask me out and it's not because of you" She said softly. "And if someone does by some offhand chance I will ask you before I answer. Afterall I would like to get your input." She said seriously knowing that if the case was ever turned around. If Andrew ever got asked out by someone or if Andrew ever asked someone else Caina would like to know about that. Caina would like to have some sort of say even if it wasn't her place to do so.

"Now whats up with all this relationship talk. Gosh I swear Divination must be getting to you" Caina teased lightly wondering if Andrew could tell that all these questions seemed to be in her mind, only in the reverse order.

"We can't be sure of that" he said with a slight smile. "No seriously.." he said with a serious look. "That is something to be considered... and it's not divination" he added laughing as he said the last part.Divination isn't growing on me he thought and then an inner voice said Maybe she is growing on you . He blushed slightly at the thought and ignored it. He was tired of debating with his head.

"Okay, no more relationship talk if that's what your highness wishes" he said with a grin and did a slight bow. "Is there something in particular you wish to do rather than just sit here and talk with me?" he asked with a wink his mood lighting up. "We could try swimming" he suggested looking at the windows. It seemed like a nice day for getting wet. "You could teach me how to not drown every time I get into the lake" he suggested.

(last post for da day.11.24pm. need to sleep :)l )

Caina just shook her head as Andrew continued with the relationship talk for a moment. Why would he even think Caina had a chance with any other guy and if she really did, Caina wasn't thinking about them. She was thinking about Andrew. Though surely she wouldn't be able to say that aloud. That would ruin just about everything. Instead she remained silent hoping that her not replying would keep the conversation going into another direction.

Pushing a strand of hair out of her own face, Caina nodded her head with the suggestion a small laugh escaping her lips as a smile formed beautifully upon it. "Swimming songs lovely. Plus I can't have you drowning every time we enter the lake." Caina added hoping that she wouldn't be a horrible teacher at showing Andrew how to swim. She hadn't ever had lessons exactly. Her mother just short of told her to jump in and don't go under. Simple as that. A few minutes of moving her arms and legs rapidly she learned how to tred water. Hopefully it will be just as easy for Andrew.

"So let's go" She said standing up. "But maybe I should change into something better" She said more to herself as she looked down at her outfit which wasn't approprate for swimming at all.

"I need to change too" he said with a smile delighted with the idea that Caina was going to teach him to swim. After fourteen years, miserable years with water Andrew was finally going to try to learn how to swim. He hoped it would work.

"Let's go and change quickly" he said as he stood up after wiping his hands with tissue. He walked out of the Great Hall and down to the dungeons excited about this plan. He hoped they would see friendly merepeople in the lake.

(Will you start? Or should I?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back