Admiring the view...

Scorpius Malfoy

Scorpius leaned back against the cool wall of the corridor and looked out at the sky beyond the huge and ancient stone windows. A lone cloud floated over the hills beyond the Forbidden Forest, and a few Quidditch players could be made out in the distance, tossing around a Quaffle. The view was nicer here than it had been in Scotland - greener and brighter. He closed his eyes against the warm breeze and sighed.

There were, of course, things that he would miss about Europe. The people - his girlfriends especially - and his manor. But, moving here had been his own choice. Fed up with his mother trying to introduce him to 'suitable woman' by sending boring girls date invitations under his name, he had threatened to transfer schools. When his mother had continued, he had carried out his threat. His father had encouraged him - because 'a Malfoy never backs down.' So here he was now, lost in a school where he knew no one. 'except for Chace,' he reminded himself silently. Chace had been an old school friend, and while his being in New Zealand hadn't been the reason for his choosing this school, it had influenced his decision.

Scorpius opened his eyes and brushed his hair from his face. Which direction led to the main corridor?

Hoshi was wondering this hall too. It was near where she and her friends had her famed paint balloon fight. She was wondering what they where getting into. She also hoped that Sam would hurry up and see Toni for the uber-wench that she was. Then again guys marry girls like that without really knowing them. Hoshi shrugged. She was getting involved in something like this. She was dealing with her own problems. Henric was getting more annoying by the minute. She didn't know why he had to corner whenever he got the chance. A small part of her liked it but a bigger part of her was itching to put her chunky boot where the sun didn't shine.

She spotted someone up a head and a small smirk came onto her Japanese face. She slipped off the bag she always carryed with her and looked inside. Maybe abit of mental torture would do. She took out her favoret yo-yo. The screaming Yo-yo that Sam had gotten her. She slipped the string on her finger and let it fly letting the scream consume the entire corridor it seemed. She hid and watched to see if the boy would come after the scream.

Libby, who was wandering through the corridors on her own, suddenly heard a high pitched scream. She traced the noise, and found it led to Hoshi. "Hey Hoshi, what was that?" she asked her, slightly confused by the fact she looked perfectly normal, exept for the fact she was carrying a yoyo.

Relizing she had passed someone on the way, libby turned round to see who it was. She saw a boy she didn't recognise, and wandered slowly over to him. "Hi. Who are you? I've never seen you round here before" she asked him.

Hoshi closed her eyes and slapped her head. "Libby-chan I could kill you. But I have a better idea." She said stuffing the yo-yo into Libby's hands and ran off into an empty classroom to see what would happen. She knew it was wrong to leave a friend like that but she had messes up her prank. Hoshi cracked open the door to the classroom and looked out though only one eye. There was a slight smile on her face. The older students where known to get cranky when jokes where played on them.

To Scorpius' left, painfully suddenly, came a screeching scream. Not a normal, natural scream, but one that was drawn out to the point of being inhuman. And then, just as abruptly, the screaming stopped. Immediately, he turned in the direction of the noise, his ears ringing and a frown on his face. At the same time, somone passed him.

They were both young girls, first or second years perhaps, and neither unattractive. 'but perhaps too young,' he thought to himself as the second turned around to look at him. 'Who am I?' Scorpius smiled. This was nice, not being recognized. In England, no matter where he went, he was seen as 'Malfoy's son,' and was given a bad reputation for it.

"You can call me Scorpius," he said softly, and smiled as the other, an Asian girl, ran off. "I transferred here recently, so you wouldn't know me."

Libby watched as Hoshi ran off, leaving her with the yoyo, which she instantly hid behind her back. "Nice to, meet you scorpius." she said slowly, looking at him. She had a strange suspicion she did know him, even though he said he was a transfer student. "So how come you moved schools?" she asked.

Scorpius' smile widened, and he ran his hands (again) through his hair. "To meet pretty girls like you," he said with a wink. "England was getting boring." She had a pretty face, he thought. She would definitely grow up to be a beautiful young woman. He wondered what house she was in.

"But I'm being rude, I haven't asked for your name yet." He smiled apologetically.

She smiled back, "Oh, i, i'm Libby" she said. "Hufflepuff 1st year, i haven't been here that long ether." She continued to study him. "I swear i've seen you before" she said convinced.

"That's a pretty name," he flattered, although in didn't much appeal to him at all. "You might have seen me this morning," he offered. "That's when I arrived."

Hoshi poked her head out of classroom in time to see Scorpius smile. Suddenly Hoshi felt weak but then shook it off. She was determined to pay special attention to any boy after what happened with Knight. "Well that was dull." She said walking out of the classroom. Her green hair was draped over her shoulders as it always was. She didn't see any reason to pick it up most days. She cought the question too. "I'm a Slytherin but don't act much like one I am told." She said putting her hands over her head.

"Ah, you two must be friends." Scorpius nodded as the Asian returned. "Perhaps two such pretty ladies wouldn't mind showing me the way back to the staircase? I'm afraid that I'm a little lost."

Andromeda had been relaxing in the Gryffindor common room which was something she had a rare opportunity to do. Usually it was so crowded but for some strange reason today it was peaceful, so much so that when the piercing scream reverberated around the seventh floor corridor and into her peaceful reverie she all but fell off the sofa in shock.
"What in the name of all things magical" she fumed gathering herself up and adjusting the prefect badge on her sweater let herself out through the portrait to investigate. Some first years had already been caught playing pranks up on the seventh floor and she was determined that this time she would catch someone. Though secretly it went against her very nature, she wasn't going to let that on to a bunch of first years.

Walking down the corridor she spotted two girls and boy talking. The girls were most definitely first years but she had never seen the boy before. He appeared as old as she was.
"What was all that noise? Don't you know that people are trying to study and rest around here?" her tone was clipped and not exactly friendly but it wasn't sharp either. Andromeda was not one for laying down the law, in fact this was her first proper experience as a prefect.

Hoshi shrugged. Her little joke wasn't getting anywhere anyway. "Sho. Hoshi Koshiba by the way. If you ask most people know my name." She said with a proud smile on her face. Her pranks where already legend she was only a first year. "This way." She said with a bright smile on her face. She turned to stare right into the face of and angry Prefect judging by the 'P' on her chest. "Hide the yo-yo." She whispered into Libby's ear.

Scorpius was just about to follow 'Hoshi', when a prefect - and an attractive one at that - interrupted them. She had the air of somone trying to be strict, but he wondered if it was really heartfelt. There was something about her eyes that made Scorpius think that she herself had a little bit of a rebellious streak. He smiled his gentle smile at her she approached.

"You must mean the scream? I'm afraid that I'm not entirely sure where it came from either, miss...?" he trailed off, hoping that she would offer her name.

Andromeda could safely say she didn't recognise any of them but whether they knew where the awful scream had come from or not they certainly weren't letting on. The boy referred to her as 'miss' and for some inexplicable reason she had to stop herself from laughing.
"Andromeda" she told him, trying once again to put some authority into her voice as she addressed the younger students.
"Now I know that none of you are Gryffindor so what brings you all up here to the seventh floor?" she didn't mention the scream again but noted to herself that she would get to the bottom of it.

Libby thought quickly, shoving the yoyo in her jacket pocket. "Hi Andro, Hoshi and i just came back here to check the place out from last week's detention, and it seems we've just made a new friend. We were helping him." she said. She turned and gave Scorpius a look of "ignore her" and said, "Bye Andro, we must be off" quickly, glancing back to the others and indicating to folow her.

"It's my first day here," Scorpius admitted with a friendly laugh. "I wanted to see the view from a higher floor, but I got a little lost. Thankfully, these young girls found me and offered to show me my way back. I'm really sorry for the disturbance." He feigned regret, smiling shyly. He was fairly sure that it was one of the first years who set off the scream, as he hadn't seen anyone else around at the time, but he wasn't going to say anything unless it proved to his advantage, which at the moment it didn't.

As Libby made to hurry away, he shook his head at her. "You girls can go ahead. I'll ask Andromeda here for directions."

Andromeda looked from the first year girl who had crudely shortened her name to the boy she indicated. Turning to really look at him for the first time, she gave him a rare smile. It wasn't easy being new at any school, she found that out the hard way the year before when she had, had to transfer for a time to Durmstrang. He was cute in an unconventional way and she could well understand why these younger girls were all over him wanting to help him out. Giving them the benefit of the doubt for now she smiled.
"It's Andromeda or Andy to my friends" she told the younger girl before looking from one to the other of the group.
"Alright, I didn't catch any of you actually doing anything out of the way, so go on. It's not illegal to be up here just try not to get yourselves into trouble" she looked again at the boy, "And welcome to Hogwarts, I hope it's not too much of a culture shock".
It was then he announced to the younger girls that he would glean directions from her, she had the grace to blush at this but couldn't fathom for the life of her why he would want her to show him the way.

Libby glared at Andro. "Oh im so sorry" she said sarcasically, but she didn't walk off. She waited to see what would happen.

Scorpius quickly realized the awkwardness of the situation. Libby expected him to go with her, with that childlike stubbornness that he recognized from the first year girls back in Europe. However, talking to somone his own age appealed him to him more.

"Ah, I just remembered that I have something to talk to Andromeda about. It's okay, really, I won't get lost again, so you girls can go. But thank you both very much for you help." He smield appreciatively at them. "I'm sure we'll see each other again."

Libby sighed and glanced at Hoshi before saying "Alright Scorpius, See you round" and taking a last glare at Andro and heading back to the hufflepuff common room, or some other area of interest.

Andromeda was speechless, the boy seemed to have some remarkable powers of persuasion extremely effective on the younger girls. She didn't think for a second he had anything to talk to her about but looked at him quizzically all the same. The girl had called him Scorpius and this made her smile, ever since she had been really small her father had taught her all he knew about the sky, stars and such. She herself had been named after their neighbouring galaxy and now here she was face to face with a boy who was named after a constellation, one of the oldest and greatest too and one of the original six in the zodiac. Of course he probably didn't know any of this or certainly wouldn't be concerned with any of it. It had always been a passion of hers, at least until she had been bitten, transformed and more recently - incarcerated and tortured. The sky and anything else around her held very little appeal anymore. She was lucky she had such great friends, who were doing their damndest to bring her back around to her old self.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" she kept her voice low, perhaps he just wanted to be away from first years for a bit. It did happen after all, sometimes their exuberance was just overwhelming and bordering on annoying.

Scorpius watched as the two first years walked away before apologizing to Andromeda. "I'm sorry for being a nuisance. There wasn't really anything specific that I had to say, but I knew the moment that I saw you that I might enjoy your company." He smiled what he hoped was a convincingly apologetic smile. "Of course, you don't need to feel obligated. If you give me directions, I'm sure that I can find the way. You must be busy, keeping all the children in line. I really admire that." She had the most unusual eyes, of a dark gold. He had never seen anything like it before.

Andromeda looked at him once more and couldn't believe how silver his eyes appeared to be, the fact that her own were such a strange colour as well stood in his favour. She knew how people sometimes thought she looked wierd or just ridiculously strange yet this boy didn't seem to mind her bizarre appearance.

"Well which way are you going? I don't mind showing you" it had been a while since she had offered anything remotely in the way of friendship least of all directions to anyone. She had been made weary of strangers and yet, here she was willing to show this boy where ever he needed to go.

"No feeling of obligation here and don't worry it's only my first year as a prefect, I'm not used to being the authority figure. Sometimes I think my head of house must have had a screw loose the day he decided to make me a prefect".
Now she was being blatantly honest with him and this amazed her even more.
"Scorpius right?"

"I'm trying to find my way back to the stairs. There are just so many corridors, it's all a little confusing." She was nearly as tall as Scorpius, and perhaps a year or two older. Her face was pretty, in a pale and unusual way. There was something about her that attracted Scorpius, but he couldn't pinpoint what exactly.

"Only your first year? I wouldn't have guessed. You have such confidence. And yes, Scorpius."
He chuckled. "It's not often that I can introduce myself without bringing fourth a laugh or too. It's not a common name." He wasn't surprised that she hadn't teased him about it, though. She was probably being polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back