Aching With Travel

Samuel Sykes

Samuel dropped his last suitcase onto the floor of the apartment with a heavy sigh. All he owned in the world was currently packed into two trunks, three suitcases and a carry-on bag, all heavily laden with spells shrinking furniture to fit into the cases. Sam couldn't even contemplate the beginning of his unpacking process, and so settled for slumping back onto the long sofa that was one of the few items that came with the studio. It wasn't the grandest of homes, but it was his. For the first time, he truly owned something that hadn't belonged to someone else beforehand, and it was something that he'd worked very hard to achieve.
Paris was an odd choice for a young Australian man fresh out of a Hogwarts education, but work for potions masters was plentiful in the wizarding sections of the city. He stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the more delicate-physiqued Europeans, but Sam was a sore thumb just about anywhere. At six feet and five inches, a shy man like himself could not hide in a crowd and he was finding Paris terrifyingly beautiful. The women, too, he had to admit, were beautiful in an almost ethereal sense. He hoped this was natural and not a product of glamours or charms from the witches who caught his eye; nothing was more disappointing than sweet ladies who thought that they had to hide their true faces in order to be noticed. It was becoming a common thing, nowadays, to drop a Shimmer potion into one's morning tea before heading out, adding a somewhat unbelievable glow to one's face.
The intercom buzzed before Sam had a chance to get comfortable. He sighed aloud and began the trek downstairs to pick up whatever item he'd ordered but forgotten about. Hopefully it was his potions stand so he could begin setting up the vials and jarred ingredients, but Sam did not make it as far as he'd hoped to.
The building that he now occupied was in the city's outer north, close to Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. He'd noticed a few young women in blue uniforms heading up to their own studios, which brought him to the conclusion that it was a popular area for families to house their girls while they were in school. A few of them had tried to strike up a conversation as he'd hauled his trunks up the long flights of stairs (conveniently forgetting his ability to levitate items like a normal wizard), but Sam had simply blushed and kept walking, to the amusement of the young ladies. There was no such luck in avoiding embarrassing himself this time. Samuel's hall cupboard had arrived, fully assembled and completely blocking the third corridor where the halls grew thinner while the transport wizards argued and prodded the object around.
"Hang on, hang on!" Sam called out as he took off at a jog down the hall to where the blockage was. "What's all this, then?"
"We've gotten it this far, sir," said a worker in the muffled voice from behind the cupboard. "But it looks like the fancy work at the top is sticking into the plasterboard."
"Why don't you shrink it down?" asked Sam, gentle but exasperated. The light pine cupboard squeaked as it was shifted heavily from behind, and there were some quiet mumbles between the workmen.
"Well," admitted one finally, "We can't. Those charms you had placed on it for extra storage will probably collapse it if we try to shrink it down. Not collapse it in the portable sense of the word, but more, er, reduce it to curlings." he explained.
The look on Sam's face would have been spectacular to behold had anyone been able to see him behind the bulk of the cupboard. Immediately, his problem-solver's brain went into action, and the potioneer told the workmen to wait while he fetched an extra curricular Charms manual.
"Okay, so a regular shrinking charm is going to ruin the cupboard ... how about and irregular charm?" he muttered out loud as he made his way back up the stairs to retrieve it. To his horror, an attractive witch was headed into the opposite direction to him and was soon going to encounter his unintentional road block. Sam blushed heavily, screwing up the courage to speak.
"Um ... madame? Sorry to bother you, but ... " said Samuel, growing quieter with chagrin. "Just up ahead. It's, er, stuck. The cupboard, that is. My cupboard." He struggled to explain. "That is to say, mon placard is ... oh sorry, do you speak English? Parlez-vous anglais?" What a nightmare.

Sabrina was glad for the freedom she was now partly experiencing. Her parents were now almost never meddling with her school nor her activities in France, and she was grateful for that. It had took her parents quite a while to get used to the idea that she's not living with them anymore and is already living in another country. It didn't take her long to get used to the surroundings, but she was fairly irritated whenever some of their family guards would show up in the hotel she was staying at since last week. Well, it was all thanks to her remaining allowance that she was able to move in to an apartment near Beauxbatons. It was no problem for her to move in with only her clothes and school stuff to go on with, although, she did have to buy a bed.

It was a sunny day when Sabrina decided to go out and search for a potential job that she would take if she would continue to live alone and buy some needed furniture around the house, for a fact that she can't continue on living with just a bed her whole life. After a few hours, she decided to head home but on the third floor just two doors away from her apartment, there was quite a blockage and she was curious as to what it is and she decided to take a look until a young man had approached her, a bit older than her she estimated, maybe a year or two. Sab suppressed a giggle as the man struggled to explain the situation to her, probably making a decision as to whether she spoke English or not. "Votre placard bloque le couloir?" she inquired as fluently as she possible could, actually thankful for the French lessons she was given years before. "Oui, je parle anglais," she decided to answer with a smile. "Need any help with the cupboard?" she asked as politely as she could.

</FONT></SIZE></I></COLOR>
French​
<i>
</i>
</COLOR>
<SIZE size="150">English
<i>
</i>[/td]
Votre placard bloque le couloir?
Your cupboard is blocking the corridor?
<i>
</i>
<FONT font="Monaco"><COLOR color="#9300C4">Oui, je parle anglais.​
<i>
</i>
<COLOR color="#650335"><I>Yes, I speak English.
<i>
</i>
[th]

Sam almost shed a tear in relief when the lovely witch answered him in a language he understood. He'd prepared well enough for his trip, but not so well as to brush up on his translating charms. It was his biggest magical failing and he was just minutes away from making an arse of himself for trying.
"Oh thank Merlin," he mumbled to himself when she spoke to him in clear English. "Yes, I'm so sorry about taking up the hallway. The cupboard's charmed, you see," explained Sam, looking abashed. "Otherwise we would have shrunk it immediately." He waved the Charms tome as if in explanation, and passed through the gap between the cupboard and the wall to Sabrina, keeping a thumb on the relevant page.

"Terra Magicka," said Sam, pointing out the passage to her. "A group of charms focused on earth-based materials: in this case, wood. Apparently it interacts rather well with other charms, since it's rather light magic, and-". He blushed again. "Well, I'm explaining too much. Anyway, I'm no hand at charms so I can't really do this one. I don't suppose either of you are?" Sam asked the workmen, who'd since set the cupboard down and were waiting on the other side of it with Sabrina. One shrugged and the other lifted his hand in a 'so-so' gesture.
"Right." said Sam. "So ... unless you happen to be able to cast this one, we'll have to call someone in who can." he explained apologetically. The potions master almost turned around and hit his head on the wall when he realised that he'd never even asked the witch's name. By now, he was far too embarrassed to say anything.
"The, er ... the incantation is Legno Encoger." he supplied. "I really hope this works," Sam added to himself.

"I don't mind really," Sabrina admitted with a wide smile as the boy began to explain to her what was wrong. The young lady didn't mind at all the inconvenience brought about by the blocked passageway, after all, her own apartment wasn't really much of a home at all. Although, she couldn't help but think of the other frequently grumpy tenants on the floor they were at. "I wish I could say take your time but the other tenants here are rather impatient," she said with a rather sheepish smile, wondering how the boy in front of her would take the said news.

Sabrina watched and listened to the explanation the boy was saying as she tried to grasp and take in as much information as she could. And she could only giggle softly as the boy admitted that he was explaining things too much which was certainly true. Sab watched as each of the men confess that they were not good in Charms and Sabrina could only bring out her wand in response, "So, I guess setting the magic is up to me then?" she asked with a smile. "I guess I'll have a go at it," the young lady said calmly waiting for the information she needed to perform the spell.

Sabrina repeated in her head the incantation that was given to her and when she decided she was ready to try, "We better pray it works," she told the men around her. The young lady pointed her wand on the cupboard blocking the way and closed her eyes, concentrating hard on the goal. "Legno Encoger," she said with command and concentration showing in her voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back