A walk in the forest

Monov Kitz

Monov had been walking in the forest for about 10 minutes when he found one of the things he was looking for. "Mugwort, Yes. I knew there would be some here." Monov stood before a 4 Foot bush. He bent over and started to uncover some of the root. Then he took his Knife out and started to cut a piece of the root. "Just a bit." He thought. He placed the root into a small pouch he had attached to his belt. Then he continued to walk around saying "Hmm, Liberty caps... Liberty caps."

Ferra had wandered away from the herd, but she was sure they wouldn't come charging in search of her. She was old enough to do as she pleased so long as she stayed inside the forest and away from the humans. Yet lately, she did find that she was running into more humans than she could handle. Just the other day a crowd of human children who apparently got themselves lost just bumped into her. Rude of them to go wandering about in lands that they had no business in. Lands that were forbidden and belonged to the great centaurs.
With her bow in hand and her pouch of arrows slung around her shoulder, Ferra began practicing her range shooting. She was getting better and better, and her mother assured her that she would soon be the greatest female centaur archer. However, one of her sleek arrows went astray, and so Ferra galloped after it after collecting the others. She did not want to carve more arrows because they took skill and patience, the latter being the one she lacked.
Pulling the long and thin wooden arrow out of a tree trunk, Ferra stuck it back into her pouch and was about to gallop back the way she came when she spotted another human child. This time it appeared to be male.
"You!" she snapped at it, her eyes flicking to what it was carrying. "Plants? Herbs? Theif! This is not your land, nor your place! The blessings of this forest are reaped only by the creatures within it!"

Monov fell to the ground startled as he could be. "A Centaur! A real Centaur." He thought. As he got back up he said "Im sorry great Centaur. I only wished to gather some herbs to better my luck." He said with great respect. Monov had read a book about mystical creatures, Centaur being one of them. Centaur were a very proud race, so Monov showed much respect. Monov Bent over in a bow. "My name is Monov Kitz. I am Human. I go to school here at Hogwarts. Who are you great Centaur?"

Ferra was taken aback by the human child's response. She had not taken mankind as a humble race, nor one that could show respect to any other. It was not what she had been taught to expect of them. Softening up a bit Ferra took a few steps back and relaxed her angry expression.
"No trouble can be caused when one is civil about it. However, you should not enter these woods alone. It is dangerous place for children... especially human children," she said firmly. "And my name... I cannot say. We of the centaurs are not on first name basis with humans. I am sorry."

Monov knew he hit just the right key with the Cetaur, He noticed the expression on her face had totaly changed. She seemed calmer. "It is quite alright" Monov said with a smile... "Im didnt think i would need anyone with me... But seeing how there are mystical creatures out here in the forrest... Maybe you could join me?" Monov reached in his pocket, He pulled out a small box. He held it out to give it to the Centaur. It was a small golden card board box containing a chocolate frog. "Take this as sort of a peace offering, or rather a friendship offering." Monov said with another Bow.

Ferra considered the offer for a moment, crossing her arms thoughtfully. This human did seem very well mannered, and the small golden box did appear to be valuable in its mystery. But at the same time, she would get herself into a lot of trouble just by being in a human's company.
"I... I cannot. You must understand that I am forbiden to accept anything from a human," Ferra replied sadly. "However, I think I can accompany you just for today as it would be cruel for me to leave you alone and defenceless."

Monov smiled "Well it shouldn't take that long... Im looking for some Liberty Caps, Have you seen any?" Monov looked around the area

"Liberty Caps you say?" Ferra repeated, thinking back to where her kind commonly went to collect the mushrooms when they had certain astral needs of them. "Indeed you have asked the right creature." Stepping backward, Ferra nodded her head for the child named Monov to follow her lead. She then trotted along gracefully, and continued speaking.
"The Liberty Caps usually grow in very wet areas, unless it is too cold. There is a special lowland area where the Liberty Caps grow in vast numbers in this forest, that is where we go during the wet season to collect. If there are any at this time of the year, seeing as it is autumn, well you should be lucky to find at least a couple hundred of the golden yellow ones," Ferra paused to giggle and then added, "A lot of the female centaurs carry those around to attract the males. They say the closer to gold in colour, then higher the chances of finding true love. Of course, I don't believe in such nonsense." Raising her head with pride, Ferra continued on walking. She was more of a wild and independent centaur who spent her time studying Mother Nature's blessings instead of obsessing over beauty and love affairs.
"Do you like herbs...? Oh my!" she gasped when realisation struck her. "Don't tell me that is why you are collecting the Liberty Caps! To better your luck with female humans?" Ferra chuckled at the likeliness of her presumption. Humans were very easy creatures to read.

Monov looked at the Centaur and smiled. "I love herbs. As for the huma love thing. Im only 11." He gasped. "I but the luck thing is right. I've read that if you keep some on your body that you are luckier then the average person." Monov gave the Centaur a wink. "You dont think that the rest of the Centaur would mind if i take like maybe 4 or 5 caps?"

Monov loved herbs, His Uncle was a Muggle Alchemist, "My Uncle taught me alot about herbs. Wanna see somthing interesting?" He bagan to reach for a pouch attached to his belt.

"You are awfully young," Ferra agreed. "Take as many as you need. We centaurs only keep peace in the forest, not keep it to ourselves." She could tell they were almost there now; the ground level was beginning to slop downward slightly.
"Something interesting, huh?" she repeated. "Why not."

Monov held the pouch over his other hand to empty its contents onto his hand. "You like herbs right?" asked Monov "This is a really rare herb, well.. More like a fungi. It's called Rott Blossom." What fell out of the pouch was a few pieces of Mugwart and somthing that looked like rotting coloflower with no oder. Monov broke it in half and handed one half to the Centaur. "This is said to keep you from evil spirits and dark magic." Monov looked at the piece that he was handing the Centaur. "I want you to have a piece, In a place like this I belive that you need it more then I do."

Ferra snorted at Monov's last words. "I need it more than you?" she repeated. "You see this bow Monov?" she said as she stopped and turned to face him, taking her bow into hand and showing it to the boy. "This bow was carved by grandfather. He was the ruler of one of the most powerful herds of the centaurs. It was passed down to my father after he died in a fight to keep his title. And then it was passed down to me after my father died in an ambush by another herd. I have had this bow since the second year after I was birthed; six human years. Ever since then, I have been wilting my own arrows and training myself. I am the best female archer, and I even pose a threat to many of the matured male archers. Thank you for your concern, but I believe I am capable of driving away evil spirits and dark magic. We centaurs have our own powers too."
To show that she had not been angered by Monov's gesture, Ferra smiled and put her bow away again. Then after a moment of silence, she reached down and took the herb from Monov's outstretched hand anyway. "Thank you," she said politely.
"Ah, just at the right time. Here you are boy; the Liberty Caps," she said, nodding her head toward the very pit of the slope where a hundred yellow tips cluttered together and around the trees and plants.

Monov smiled "Wow! Thats alot of caps, I've never seen so many in one place." Monov looked back at the Centaur and laughed. "I think I only need a few, about 3 or 4. I'll think I'll take this one. and this one. and this one. Ah here." As Monov picked the Caps and placed them in a small piece of cloth he smiled again and said "Hmm I am going to be satisfied with this for a long while I think. Ok I'm done, Thank you Centaur. I think I should get back to the School. But I might need some help getting back." Monov scratched his head. "Do you think you can lead me to the edge of the forest?"

"Why I most certainly can. Your gratitude is enough to make me feel obliged to seeing you out of here safely," Ferra replied pleasantly. This behavior of her's was one she was not accustomed to, as she had the general attitude of a centaur to reciprocate that of company. But of course, Monov had been just as pleasant towards her, which was most definitely a first for her. She was beginning to reconsider taking him up on his offer of being friends; he brought out the goodness in her.
"So where are you from?" she asked curiously, wondering how large the human world outside the forest really was. "And what is it like... walking on two legs instead of four?" That had been the question that had always nagged at her since she had first learned of human existence.

Monov had started to walk back while talking to the Centaur "Hmm well I am from a place called Three Kings Island in New Zealand. Have you heard of it? It's a beautiful place surounded by water, with a bridge connecting to the mainland with forrests and cities. All kinds of Humans live there. I dont know if you would like it. But I think you will like the land." Monov looked at the Centaur and laughed "Honestly, I think having four legs is better then two, I mean sure we can fit into tighter places but you have sooo much more stamina then me, you can run faser and further, Your stronger. I think your better off the way you are. I kinda wouldn't mind to be a Centaur. Oh you said you know magic? What kind of magic do you know?" Monov listened intentively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back