A Talk

Blake Zepline

Wand
Bloodwood Wand 15 1/4" Essence of Phoenix Ash
Blake had just finished his last lesson for Transfig and was exiting the classroom. As he strolled along the corridor, he watched as the rest of his class filed out close behind him. Lagging around the staircases, Blake waited till Kat walked past. He figured it was about time he figure out what it was that seemed to bother her about him.
"Hey Kat," Blake said when he saw her nearby. He put on a polite smile and prepared himself for some sort of confrontation.

Kat had just packed up all of her things and was getting ready to head to the library to do some revising. She had just walked up to the staircase when she heard someone say her name. The voice was familiar and she was stuck with the decision to walk off and pretend that she didn't hear Blake or to stop and finally talk to him. She chose the latter of the two and thought that this would make Lily happy. Kat turned to him and said, "Hullo Blake."

"Yeah, sorry to bug you. I was just wondering if we were... okay?" Blake asked cautiously. He wasn't sure how to approach the subject.

Kat just gave Blake a blank stare and then thought about his question. It was very bold of him to approach her like this so apparently he had Lily's best interest at heart. "I'm honestly not sure where we are right now. I guess I keep hoping that things between us would get better and that maybe we could be friends." She stopped for a moment and thought on it for another second or so, "What should we do? I know that it would make Lily more than happy if we could be at the very lest acquaintances."

"You're right," Blake replied with an awkward smile. Pausing a moment before he spoke again, he looked down at his feet before turning back to face Kat once more. "I honestly have no problem being your friend, or even just an acquaintance to you. I think it's more your say, as I've never had any problems about you. I don't even really know you either.
"But, I do understand how you feel about me. How I left without a word to Lily. And how I just came back when she seemed to finally be over me. I never meant for things to happen the way they did, but that's just it; they did. You're a good friend to her, and I guess... I owe you thanks. For that and much more. You helped me. Even if it was only for Lily," Blake added with a chuckle. "I do hope we can be friends. For Lily, just as much as for us."

"It's not you I had the problem with Blake. It's what you did and no, I don't think you understand." Kat said in all seriousness, trying not to be rude or mean about it. "In all honesty, I was dealing with my own personal 'abandonment issues' at the time and seeing you come back brought it all flooding over me again. I'm sorry that I've been a bit of a git towards you lately. It's nothing personal, I just didn't know what to say to you." she continued as she looked at her feet, feeling very embarrassed.

"There is no thanks necessary for doing nothing more than just being the best friend that I could be to Lily. I love her to death and she's one of the best friends I've ever had. I'd do anything for her, even helping you out." Kat said with a small smile forming on her face as she looked back to Blake. "I think that we could be friends. And I do hope that you forgive me for being less than civil to you." she added as she extended her hand to Blake. "Friends?"

Blake was taken aback by Kat's words, he had never imagined, never knew, that she had gone through the same situation as Lily had. He felt terrible now for her, wondering who had left her behind, and why. For some insane reason, he felt oddly accountable.
He had remained silent as Kat spoke, and it took him a while to process that she was willing to be his friend. But when he finally did notice her extended hand, he returned her smile, shaking her hand happily. "Of course. And... we'll I'm sorry. I never knew."

Kat shook Blake's hand, feeling oddly relieved that things were finally okay with the two of them. She knew that Lily would be ecstatic about it. "Don't be sorry!" she said sincerely, "He's back as well, though things aren't quite as well with us as they are for you and Lily." The last was a true statement, but Kat didn't want to think on it right now as it made her heart hurt. "So...urm, are you ready for your exams?" she asked, trying to make a quick change of subject.

Blake wanted to ask her who, but he held his tongue when he heard the pain in her voice as she said that things weren't well with them. Following her lead in the change of subject he replied, "A little. Been studying some, but I didn't really do much homework during the semester. Been busy with other things. What about yourself? I'm sure you've literally buried yourself in your books."

Kat could see the curiosity that was all over Blake's face so she obliged, since she could tell he wasn't going to ask her, "Makato." She said it quickly and then went back to the subject of school. "You're right. I don't think I've seen the outside of the Prefects common room or the library for the last two weeks." Kat laughed as she remembered all the time she had spent looking over notes and reading through books. "Hoping to pull off top marks this term and make my parents proud I guess!"

Blake fell agape, his mouth depicting a perfect 'O' as his eyebrows raised to unbelievable height on his forehead. He was speechless. Makato, his friend, was dating Katalina? It seemed almost untrue, he had never noticed them before, and even in recent times. Shaking his head to fix his features into a more tactful expression he said solemnly, "Wow. That's... a surprise."
He had missed Kat's reply to his question, but not wanting to ask her to repeat herself he added, "Oh, that's great!" He gave his best attempt at a smile, but then broke his gaze when he realised he wasn't making a very good impression. "How are things with you, though?" he asked after a moment of recollection.

Shock. That was what was written all over Blake's face. Kat cringed slightly, but then couldn't help but chuckle just a little bit. Blake seemed to have been oblivious to what she had just said to him and for some reason she found the funny. She thought about his question for a minute, trying to decide if he wanted to know how she was feeling about Makato or how she was feeling about life in general so she gave him a very generic answer. "Things are fine, I guess. Just really busy. I haven't seen Lily in a few days. How are you guys doing?"

"Well, if you'd like me to ugh... beat some sense into Makato, then please, don't hesitate to ask," Blake said with a smile. "I'm glad you're fine then. And as for Lily and I, well, I haven't seen her much either. But I believe it's 'cause she's locked herself in her dorm or something. You know how Ravenclaws are." He laughed a little at the thought, and how it was most likely true. "But we are doing good."

Kat laughed at Blake's comment and said with a grin, "I don't think a beating will be necessary, but thanks for the offer." She listened as he talked about himself and Lily and then added, "Yeah...those Ravenclaws are a little over-obsessed with good marks I'd say, nothing at all like us Gryffindors and Slytherins." Kat thought for a moment about where Blake would be staying over the holidays, especially since he had run away from his mother earlier this year. "So, urm...are you going to be staying at school over Christmas or are you going to Lily's?" she asked, hoping that she wasn't prying, but she was just a naturally curious person.

"Well Josh, my erm... biological father, has sort of invited me and Lily to spend Christmas at his. What about you? Any special plans?"

Kat gave Blake an odd look when he stammered over the mentioning of his biological father. She didn't know anything about Blake or his family, only that his mother was a complete whack job who kidnapped him first year. And Lily never talked about Blake's family before so this was all coming as new business to Kat. "Well I'm sure that will be nice. Sounds like fun!" she said as enthusiastically as she could muster, not knowing exactly if that was the proper emotion to display for the situation. "I'm staying here for the majority of the break sadly. I'm going home for about 3 days over Christmas, but that's it. It'll be the first time I've seen my sister in a year though, so I'm ready for it."

Blake pretended not to notice the look Kat gave him. He wasn't sure he wanted to explain his whole family tragedy to her just yet. He didn't want to end up bringing up his dead dad, or stepfather, whatever. It wasn't that he didn't trust her to tell her this, he wasn't ready for the pity and the sympathy. He didn't need it, and he didn't need people telling him how sorry they were. Apologies just made him feel stupid, as though everyone felt accountable for his loss when they weren't. Just for lack of something to say, he always reasoned.
"So where do you live?" he asked after a moment, realising he'd sidetracked. He hated it when he thought too deeply, people never missed his blank expressions, and usually branded him as deranged.

There was an awkward silence between the two of them, but when Blake finally spoke up Kat answered him, "Well...originally I'm from Surrey, but we moved to New Zealand before the start of my first year here. Both my parents took jobs with the Ministry of Magic here. How about you? Where do you live?"

"Where's Surrey?" Blake asked, curious. "Well, I'm originally from New Zealand, but I don't really have a home as of now so... can't really say where I live anymore." He gave a soft ironic laugh at that, as though it were indeed quite funny.

"England." Kat replied to his question. She wasn't really sure what was funny about Blake not really having a place to live and shrugged it off as one of those 'had to be there' moments. "Well where does your, urm, dad live then?" she asked hoping that she wasn't prying too much as it seemed to be a bit of a touchy subject with Blake.

Nina was walking by and saw a girl she recognize with a boy she didn't but assumed nothing was between them from the way they looked together. Nina walked to them and asked, "Hey Kat right?" Then she looked at the boy and said, "I'm Nina Patrokov," Nina smiled and put her hand out for a shake.

Kat had been waiting for Blake's response when the Hogwarts Scotland champion, Nina, walked up and introduced herself to Blake. I guess we'll have to finish this discussion later then she thought to herself, slightly frustrated. "Hi Nina. Yeah, it's Kat!" she replied politely.

Blake had taken a while longer than necessary to answer Kat's question; he wasn't sure if he was allowed to even tell a friend where his biological father lived, considering he was a wanted Death Eater. But just as he was coming to the conclusion that it was perhaps best if he did not tell, the Hogwarts Champion stepped out from the unknown, greeted Kat and introduced herself to Blake. He did not complain however, because her timing could not have been better relieving him from having to lie about his biological father. "Well nice to meet you Nina, I'm Blake," he said a little too eagerly. He hoped that he sounded zealous to be meeting one of the three Champions, and not so much thrilled by disruption.

Nina put her arm down when the boy did not take it and she said, "Nice to meet you Blake." Nina smiled awkwardly, he obviously recognized her as most students did, this was one of the things she didn't like about being champion but she understood, she would be pouring herself over the champions if she wasn't chosen, except if James had been chosen it was more then obvious she did not like him one bit. Especially that he left Bella all alone. "So what are you two doing? Creating a little havack?" Nina asked sarcastically.

((OOC: Umm, I think that someone got their characters mixed up. If you wanna edit your post so that Aiden happens upon us then that's cool with me if it's cool with Blake!!))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back