A stroll in the Winters air

Keith Mercer

Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Keith walked along the path of Brightstone Village with an almost arrogant air to him. He had alot to think about, but it wasnt his place to deal with any of the problems swirling in his head, so he pushed them aside. He shoved his cold hands into the pocket of his cloak and kept walking through the peircing chilly air. He wasnt entirely watching where he was going and was sure he would bang into someone soon, but that was the other person fault, not Keiths.

Jacqueline walked through Brightstone with a purpose. She had christmas presents to buy for her children. She had a deep green cloak wrapped around her to protect her from the fierce cold. Jac walked with her nose in the air when someone ran into her. Jacqueline's light frame was knocked down by the bigger one. Her temper flared as she looked around to see who it was that hit her.

Keith bumped into to someone like he expected he would, why couldnt people look where they were going? He let out a frustrated noise. "Watch where your going." He looked down with a scowl and noticed a woman, his scowl deflated somewhat, but not by a lot. He raised an accusing eyebrow at the woman.

Jacqueline got up swiftly and glared at the man. "If I were you, it would be a good idea to see who you hit before making accusations." she said icily. "I was watching my way sir. It was you who made the mistake." Jac said evenly.

Keith smirked at the woman. "If you were watching your way, you would not have hit me." He raised an eyebrow with his smirk still in place. His hands were still in his pockets keeping them warm, so he pulled them out and crossed them over his chest.

Jacqueline stood her ground with a firm look even though the wind and snow swirled around her. "As I informed you, it was you who hit me." she said through gritted teeth. She gave him a look that employed the phrase, 'if looks could kill'. Jac eyed the man. "I am Jacqueline Burke." she said with contempt.

Keith kept his smirk in place, but he lowered his eyebrow. "Keith Mercer." He said with a nod. He searched through his brain to recall the name Burke, but could not find any association with the name. "What might a lovely woman such as yourself be doing strolling Brightstone Village alone?" He said with the smirk still in place.

Jacqueline raised an eyebrow at the man's sudden change. She smirked at him. "Not that you have the right to know but I am looking for presents for my three children. They are not fond of any of the items in my shop." she stated matter-of-factly. "What business do you have around here?"

"The same business as you it seems. Daughters are difficult to buy for." Keith said indifferently. He always had difficulty buying presents for his children, especially Jessica, so he tended to go shopping earlier so he could make up his mind. He smirked down at Jacqueline, but it was almost a smile.

Jacqueline nodded. Kiera was her most difficult to buy for as she would tell Jac nothing that she liked. Kat was the easiest and Cameron was just indifferent. No, Kiera was the only one she had all her troubles with. "I have two daughters and a son." she said almost sympathically. She could understand how the man felt about buying presents.

Keith nodded, his smirk gone now, but his features were anything but harsh. He was starting to like the woman who had banged into him before, he would still claim that it was her fault. "I have two daughters." He said, "Do any of your children attend Hogwarts?" Keith enquired, Taylor might know them.

Jacqueline smiled, almost friendly though a true smile was rare. She nodded her head. "My two daughters do. Kiera is a fifth year and prefect, while Katheryn is a third year. Kat missed a year so she had to start again in her third year." she said as an explaination. She smirked as she continued, "Cameron attends Durmstrang. He was their Champion in the Triwizard tournament last year. He was favored to win it all before they cancelled it." Jac was very pround of her oldest and his accomplishment.

Hearing the age of Jacqueline's children, Keith realised Taylor would probably not know them, maybe Kiera if she was a prefect. Keith raised his eyebrows, Camerons achievement was pretty impressive. "My, my that is an achievement." He said honestly. "One of my daughters, Taylor, is in her first year and the other, Jessica, is eight." He said, wondering what kind of destruction Jess would cause when she got to Hogwarts. It was a little unsettling.

Jacqueline smiled proudly at the complement to her son. She nodded her head in agreement. She heard that Keith's childern were much younger than her own. "What house is she in?" she wondered. Jac herself was in Sytherin back at school, it was a disappointment even now that Kiera was in Gryffindor and Kat in Hufflepuff. "Oh you other child is young." she stated.

"Taylor is a Gryffindor." Keith said indifferently, it made no difference to him what house his children were put into, as long as it wasnt Hufflepuff he had no complaints. "Yes," Keith said in regards to her comment about Jess being young, "But she doesnt act like it. Acts older than her sister at the best of times." He said, with a shake of his head.

Jacqueline smirked. "So is my Kiera." she said. Jac sighed internally. Now she had to be nice so her bad behavior didnt get back to Kiera. If it did Kiera would never trust her. She turned her head. "She acts older?" Jac questioned.

"Taylor probably does know Keira is she is a prefect then." Keith said, stating the obvious. Jacqueline questioned about Jessica's acting older and Keith looked up at the frosty sky, before returning his gaze to Jacqueline. "Yes, she thinks rules are made to be broken." Keith said sounding a little worn out, Jessica was a tough kid at the best of times and Keith couldnt understand why she had become such a person. "She is a difficult child shall we say?" He flicked his hand to emphasise his point, before letting it rest by his side again.

Jacqueline nodded her head in agreement that Taylor and Kiera knew each other. It was the proper conclusion to make with the facts as they were. Jac smirked as he talked about his one difficult daughter. She shook her head. "At least you only have one difficult daughter. I have two difficult daughters as well as a difficult son." she said, knowing that they only acted that way to her. It was a complication of the fact she had left them all as children. The older two were especially resentful and difficult to deal with.

Keith laughed lightly and cocked his head with his eyebrow raised. "Well, best be thankful for my one child then." He said with a smirk. A thought struck him and being who he was, he would not be hesitant to ask. "Three children you have, where is your husband?" If Keith were married, he would be shopping with his wife, especially when buying presents for the children, why was this woman alone?

Jacqueline smiled dryly at this man. She was not about to tell her complete personal history, however she would tell him something. "My ex-husband and I split when the children were very very young. About 12 years ago." she informed him. She now detested the thought of her ex-husband and the muggle he was. She wondered why she ever thought herself in love in the first place.

"I see." Keith said, anyone else would have said a sorry in this circumstance. Keith however was never one for apologies. Part of Keith wanted to know why, but he knew when it wasnt his place. Instead he nodded and looked off along the street that was Brightstone village, over the top of the womans head. He looked back down at her. His face unreadable. He tried to think of something to say. He wanted to keep the conversation going with this woman, but he thought of nothing. He waited for Jacqueline to act, it was her call.

Jacqueline continued on with Kieth in silence. She was surprised he didnt ask her anymore about her break up. Most people would have. She respected that about him and she smiled, pleased. She turned her head towards him. "So did your wife leave you to do the shopping?" she mused.

Keith smirked when the woman asked about his wife, so he answered. "I too, split with my wife when my children were younger, about 6 years ago." He wasnt sorry, he still talked to Melissa for the kids sake. They were still close friends and he was thankful for that. He loved his kids more than anything else in the world and simply wanted what was best for them.

Jacqueline listened to Keith explain his relationship. His tone sounded much kinder towards his ex than her own disgusted tone. He must still care for her, Jac thought to herself. She continued to walk on in a steady pace. "So you still talk to her then?" she asked voicing her opinion she was pretty positive of.

"Yes we still talk, but only for the sake of the kids." He said in an indifferent tone. "We tried to make things work again after the marriage ended, but we just couldnt feel the same again." He said, looking down at Jacqueline with a smirk. He was glad him and Mel were still friends, but they could never get back together. Once loves candle has flickered out, you cannot relight it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back