A quiet dinner

Jonathan Spenser

OOC First Name
Pat
Sexual Orientation
Hetrosexual
Wand
Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Jonathan entered the Great Hall and made his way up to the Staff table. He was a lot more calmer this dinnertime than he was a matter of hours ago at Breakfast time. At least now he was a bit more comfortable in his surroundings and he knew a few of his fellow Professors.

Taking a seat near the end of the table he filled his plate with a few bits of everything from the trays in front of him. As he ate he surveyed the Great Hall and the students which occupied it, wondering how he was going to remember everyones name, there was just so many of them.

Diana didn't go to breakfast at Hogwarts anymore. There were several reasons to this, she had heard that there was an arrogent man on staff and didn't wish to be in contact with him and she disliked crowds, with a passion. Now being dinner however, she was able to eat in more silence then mornings would ever allow her to.

As the Professor didn't have any classes to teach today she opted for muggle wear that she thought still looked professional. She arrived in the Great Hall, and walked towards the Staff Table and took a seat near the end of the table just as she usually did.

Diana took a seat, and saw a dark haired man sitting beside her. She gave him a soft smile as she introduced herself to him, "Diana Bedlam. Potions Mistress, years five to seven." She followed his gaze over to the students and saw her older daughter. A soft frown curled onto her lips as she saw that her daughter was sitting by herself, looking rather merose. "I take it you're one of the three new Professors," she asked.

Jonthan was amazed by the friendliness of everyone at this school as he heard a woman's voice introduce herself to him. Setting down his knife and fork he turned to her. "Jonathan Spenser. History of Magic years one to four." he replied with a smile. "Pleasure to meet you Diana." he said streching out his hand. "And yes, first day. Been here long yourself?" he asked as he began to eat again.

Diana looked over to Jonathan and smiled at him. She outstretched her hand as well. "Nice to meet you as well Jonathan," she said as she politely shook his hand. As their hands slipped away from each others she poured herself a glass of ice water and asked curiously, "First day hmm? How has it been so far?" With other people it was likely that she wouldn't have cared, but she actually wanted to know. "First quarter of last semester actually," she said, with Italian accent barely coming off on her words.

While waiting for a response, Diana took a sip of her water then placed it back down. She took out her thick wand and waved it, letting her plate fill with pasta salad.

Jonathan nodded lightly with a smile, "It's been good so far." he said truthfully. "I had the first years and they're very nice." he explained, he wondered what they other years would be like. "Oh!" Jonathan exclaimed at the woman's responce. "Not too long then. Have you enjoyed it?" he asked in return to her own question.

Diana nodded at Jonathan's question. "Yes. Teaching has always been a passion of mine. Have you taught anywhere else?" Diana asked curiously, wondering if he had ever taught at Hogwarts England because if he had it would be quite humorous to her. However, she doubted it because she knew most of the faculty there when she had been a Professor there.

Jonathan shook his head and set down his knife and fork again, turning his full attention to Diana, if Jonathan wanted to get to know more people he would have to make his best attempt at talking to people who actually came to talk to him. "No, I haven't. Although it was always a great passion of mine too. Since I left Hogwarts, some time ago," he said with a laugh, trying to hide what he said, "I have been traveling the world. Yourself?" he returned the question.

Diana nodded lightly as Jonathan said that he travelled the world instead of worked. "I taught for a few years at Hogwarts England after I closed down my Potion shop in Italy and had my girls," she said with a slight shrug of her shoulders, slipping her wand into her pocket and picking up her utensils daintily.

"Where did you travel?" Diana asked, just as curiously as her last question, but appearing more alouf then anything. She didn't wish to seem to forward or eager to meet this man.

OOC: For teh lolz:
Maybe I should change Diana from R. Witherspoon to E. Pompoe
Sans_titre-2.jpg

Jonathan widened his eyes in surprise at what Diana had to say in responce to his question. "You had your own shop, impressive." he said with a smile. "So, what age are your girls?" he asked out of interest. They couldn't be too old he thought to himself as he looked at the woman.

Letting out a sigh he smiled, "Where didn't I go? I hit all the big places: Mongolia, Greece, Rome, Egypt, China." he listed off a few places that came to his head. "I was part of an Archaeological team." he explained.

((Nice pic :rofl: And it's up to yourself, but I'm up for the idea))

Diana smiled as she thought of Blair and Sophia. Blair's birthday was coming up soon, and she would have to plan something big for the girl, you only turned five once after all. "My youngest is four, and Sophia is twelve," she said with a grin, remembering back to when she was twenty years old and had Sophia with Charles. It had been well.. an interesting experience, two foolish kids not having a clue about what they were doing, and some how Sophia ended up alright, as a beautiful young lady, and knew that Blair would be the same, even without a father. "She's a first year Slytherin," Diana added gently.

"That sounds lovely," Diana said, of course it was a bit of a lie. She honestly could say that she was not the kind of person for History of Magic, and never would be, but that would be fun for him at least. "China is beautiful," she said happily. She had lived there for a few months, because she had been exactly in her third trimester when she was meant to take a plane back to Italy with Charles, but of course hadn't been able to travel so she birthed Sophia in Canton, China.

12! She couldn't have been that old Jonathan thought to himself, Diana definatley didn't look like she had a 12 year old daughter, she was much to young looking. "Sophia. I believe I had her in class this morning." Jonathan commented with a small laugh, it was a strange coincidence. Jonathan wondered what it would be like to have his parent be one of his teachers or visa versa.

Jonathan nodded animately in agreement, "China was amazing. It was my last dig before I came to New Zealand. Then I pretty much fell in love with the place and well here I am." he stated with an awkward laugh. "What brought you to New Zealand?" he asked.

Diana nodded her head lightly and said with jokingly, "She probably inherited my uncanny gift for History of Magic." She chuckled lightly at her own words, and shook her head softly, her red hair moving smoothly. "Sophia was accepted to Hogwarts New Zealand, I wasn't working and we had a home here. So it really was an easy choice," she said with a grin. "Besides, I love change," she added.

"What about you? Children? Wife? Girlfriend?" Diana asked, with slight curiousity, as she fiddled with her wedding ring that hung on a silver chain around her neck. She did love Charles, but she had been a widow for so long, and really didn't want to wear it on her hand if she was thinking of dating someone else, she didn't feel like she was worthy of such a precious item.

Jonathan chuckled lightly at Diana's words, "She'll do just fine. I'm not that bad of a teacher. At least I hope not." he said with a laugh. He nodded in a agreement, "Sounds like it was a very easy choice." he commented, if only his choice was so easy, he loved the traveling and everything that came with it, but change was inevitable.

Jonathan picked up his pumpkin juice and took a sip as Diana talked, shaking his head he answered, "No, no and no. Flying solo." he said with a small smile. He didn't mind. Of course he would have loved a girlfriend, he was 35 now, he wanted to settle now. Even his younger brother had a wife and child. "What about youre husband. He doesn't mind the moving?" he asked as he observed Diana fiddling with what looked like a wedding ring.

Diana smiled at Jonathan and complemented, "I'm sure you'll be a fine Professor, Jon." She nodded slightly at his words, a small smile forming on her lips at learning such a thing, although she was unsure why it pleased her so. "My husband has passed. Just a few months after Blair was born he died," she answered pressing a soft smile on her lips, that really didn't mean much.

Feeling a little uncomfortable for sharing such things about her life, Diana bit down on her bottom lip and fiddled with her red hair that was pulled back into a pony tail, while glancing away from Jonathan. "It sure is quiet tonight," she observed, looking back to Jonathan, trying to change the topic, before he apologized like everyone else did, because she was tired of it. It was Charles' fault that he was gone, he had decided to be a Death Eater and died on the 'job'.

Jonathan replied a small smile of thanks at Diana's compliment. He hadn't been called Jon in years, actually not since his years at Hogwarts, those many years ago. He listened to Diana's words and he felt as though someone had punched him in the stomach. Way to put your foot in it. he scowled at himself. He was never a fan of these awkward situations.

He tried to muster up some words, but wasn't sure what to say. He was grateful when Diana tried to change the subject, he gave her a smile of gratatude and nodded in agreement at her words. "Yes I'd say they all have so much homework on the first day they are skipping dinner already." he responded with a laugh.

Diana glanced back over at Jonathan and laughed with him as she said, "Already? You must run a tight ship." She grinned at him, her blue eyes twinkling playfully. She was one of the stricter teachers with homework, of course her friendly face weakened it, but if a student were to cross her, she was sure that she would not accept it and give them a Troll grading. She wasn't exactly mercilious because in her experience when you gave a child and inch they would take a mile.

Jonathan gave Diana an innocent an innocent smile. "Oh! So you don't give them a two parcehement essay for homework on the first day?" he said with a light chuckle. "No, the joys of being the new teacher it's just all getting to know you, next lesson will be more interesting." he explained. "What about you. Brewing anything interesting these day?"

Diana chuckled slightly and said, "The beauty of potions is there is no homework. Only carefully executed class work." She grinned at Jonathan and said, "My first class is tomorrow. The sixth years wont be given an easy time though. I'll probably just introduce myself then get them working on their potion." As he asked her if she was brewing anything interesting she shrugged her shoulders softly. "I've been perfecting my Wolfsbane potion, while working on my own potion at the same time." Of course Diana was good at brewing the Wolfsbane potion, but it was abnormal to brew such a potion to actually have it used. She really did feel badly for Miss Fiorelli for having a curse but this did not stop her from telling Sophia not to converse with her.

Jonathan gave a sort laugh, "No wonder I always liked Potions." he joked. Of course he liked Potions but it wasn't to do with the lack of homework, as a Ravenclaw he always liked homework and pretty much every class for that matter. "Ah sixth year. Just over the hurdle of OWLs yet they have the joys of NEWTs ahead." he commented with a laugh.

He nodded in acknowledgement of Diana's words. Wolfsbane? he wondered, A very random potion he thought to himself, but thought it best not to question what a Potions Mistress does in her own time. "So your own Potion? Anything interesting?" he asked.

Diana laughed with Jonathan happily. In her first year she appreciated that but she found herself not caring about homework because well she always had a passion for potions and Herbology. "Not really all that interesting. I'm still in the trial and error phase. For detentions I make the students try it," she joked, laughing softly at the thought of such a punishment.

Jonathan listened to Diana talk about her potion as he took another sip of pumpkin juice. At her last words Jonathan laughed casuing him to spit out some of his juice. He quickly got a napkin to clean up anywhere he may have gotten juice, oh very cool Jonathan he scowled himself as he cleaned. "Sorry about that." he said with a lame smile.

"Well I haven't heard of any students becoming mysteriously ill so I'd say you're not doing a half bad job." he said with a light chuckle. "So what is there to do for fun around here?" he asked, in a lame attempt to move the conversation along, it was getting late but he was enjoying himself.

Jonathan spitting up his Pumpkin Juice, made Diana laugh quietly, but not mockingly, just at the fact that he thought her words had been so amusing. She picked up a napkin, and went to help him, but immediately remembering how it could be taken as, she outstretched her hand, offering him it, giving him an equally as lame smile. "No worry, Jonathan," she murmured, her blue eyes beaming at the dark haired man.

"That's because I hide the bodies," Diana joked in return, smiling happily at the History of Magic Professor. She was enjoying his company emensly. and her lack of knowledge of the fact that the students were slowly filing out was proof to that. "I have yet to figure this out, but when I do I'll be sure to fill you in," she said, playing her watered down Italian accent on her words.

Jonathan felt slightly awkward as Diana helped him with the spilled juice, but didn't mind. Once was everything was clear up he attempted another sip of his drink but saw his glass was rather empty. So he decided to pour another glass but be more careful with it this time. He was about to take another sip when she laughed again, thankfully the juice stayed in the goblet this time, "I was told the student body number was decreasing, I must tell the heads this." he said with a chuckle. It had been too long since he enjoyed himself this much with someone outside of his family.

Jonathan took a sip of his drink and gave Diana a light nod, "Thank. Also likewise. Maybe we could discover the place together?" he suggested, realising too late how that may have sounded, he waited to see how Diana took it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back