A Gleaming Broomstick

Sam Prince

OOC First Name
Louise
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Sam walked to the outskirts of the Harbour. It was quiet, almost peaceful. He found a spot by the edge of the harbour. He carried his broomstick and his newly equpied broomstick cleaning kit. He took his Nimbus 2001 out of his wardrobe today. It was the first time all summer it was out of his room. How he longed to fly it once more.

He got to business straight away and began to clean it, to look its finest.

Wednesday was walking around looking as if she was lost. Though really she was just wondering aimlessly. There was a complete difference to the two and Wednesday knew that for a fact. As she wondered about she looked a people, students, families observing how they acted. Listening to some foreign languages smiling when she heard a few that she knew how to speak. It didn't take long though for Wednesday to find herself almost out of the crowd on the outskirts of the Harbour. She almost thought of leaving and turning around when she noticed a boy who looked about her age.

That though was not what interesting Wednesday. It was the fact he was carrying around a broom. Could that be for Quidditch She wondered not knowing a thing about the game except the brooms which she still didn't know if she believed. Did they use pixie dust to get it to fly. If so Wednesday couldn't wait.

As she walked over to the boy resisting the urge to skp she smiled. "Hey" She said grinning from ear to ear. "I'm Wednesday" She said looking at the broom in his hand. "That's not a broom like we clean with at home" She said knowing that the comment must sound rather stupid but it was the first thing that popped into Wednesday's mind.

Sam took out the pieces form the small box when he heard a voice from behind him, an unfimilar voice. "Hi, Wednesday. I'm Sam." he said extending a hand. "Cool name he said turning back to his things. "What?! Of coarse its not. This, is a nimbus 2001." Sam said proudly looking back to her seeing if there was any sort of coneection between the two.

Wednesday smiled brightly as Sam told her that she had a cool name. Wednesday knew that it was a different name though never had she heard that it was a cool name. "Nice to meet you Sam" She said "And thanks" She added as she looked over the broom. Though she couldn't help but laugh a bit when Sam seemed to be shocked that Wednesday did not know it wasn't a normal cleaning broom.

"Sorry I didn't know" she said grinning and laughing a bit still. "I guess a nimbus 2001 is a good broom" She added thinking how normally a good broom would be one that got rid of all the dust. In this case it meant that it was fast. Wednesday still couldn't grasp that idea.

"Yeah, its pretty wicked alright." his cockney accent audible. "Although there is faster brooms out there. What broom do you own?" he asked her. He began to shine up the spine of the broom but he was still listening to her.

Wednesday listened to Sam rather amused. He must not be a muggleborn. Pity she thought. Unlike most of the students Wednesday pitied anyone that wasn't muggleborn. They grew up with magic. It wasn't anything too special. Unlike Wednesday who thought it was just about the best thing in the world. After all magic created colour changing soda pop. That still amazed her.

"I don't have a broom" Wednesday said plainly though she didn't care that she didn't. "I just learned about the sport of qudditch the other day well at least I learned that there was a sport named quidditch" Wednesday said remembering the confusing explaination that she had gotten with that one boy whose name escaped her.

"Seriously?" Sam said dropping his broom. He was amazed, he couldn't imagine life without quidditch. It was so natural to him. He grew up with it. Then the thought struck him, muggleborn. But that didn't bother him, unlike some purebloods who would just up and leave right there and then Sam continued to polish his broom. "So..are you going to Hogwarts? Or are you attending it already?" He didn't know either to place her as a second year or a first year.

Wednesday let out a small laugh at Sam's disbelief and shock "Seriously" she said still holding back a few giggles that died out soon enough. She watched him polish the broom. It was interesting for her more than anyone could get. She still did not know the difference between brooms or even the rules of quidditch but she was determined to learn. Wednesday thought it sounded like fun with all the snitches, bludgers, hula hoops, and brooms or at least that was how she took the one boy's explaination of it the other day.

"Yeah I am going to Hogwarts. I'm a first year Hufflepuff" She said happily. "Do you go to the school as well?" She asked.

"Well, we'll be seeing each other a lot more." Sam said looking up once more. "I'm a first year hufflepuff aswell." He then smirked, "By the time I'm through with you, you'll know quidditch like the back of your hand."

Wednesday jumped up and down a few times, five to be exact, when Sam told her he was also in Hufflepuff. "Great" She said smiling brightly "I was afraid I wasn't going to meet anyone in my house. Then I met someone in Ravenclaw. Then two hufflepuffs. Then a gryffindor and now you another hufflepuff" Wednesday said babbling a bit but not too too bad. "now I just need to find a slytherin and make friends and I'll have a friend in all houses" She said knowing that she wanted to break the barriers of houses. To her they were like clicks and she never really cared for those.

"Oh well I might be a harder case than you think. I know basically nothing about the sport." Wednesday said smiling as Sam told her that she was going to know quidditch like the back of her hand. "Question though. Who plays the snitch and why would the snitch tattle on someone during a game?" She asked completely serious wondering why on earth a player like that was needed.

"Well good luck with the Slytherins. They have no respect for us 'Puffs. Unless you make a really good impression on them before telling 'em your in Hufflepuff." He said to her thinking of Beau.

Sam roared laughing, he almost fell over. "Your an idiot." he teased. "C'mere." he patted the grass beside him. He then took out his wallet, and slipped the picture of the Chudley Cannons holding a snitch. "This little ball is a snitch." he said still laughing handing her the picture. "Its extremely fast and that guy--" he said pointing to the seeker, "--he looks around for it. When he catches he earns 150 points for the team. Get it?" he asked her.

Wednesday smiled taking in the information about Slytherins. She would keep that in mind though still she wondered if it would work. Maybe she would find a very nice one. Though something told her inside that it wasn't going to be easy. Thinking about how she had friends only in her wonder why she wanted to be friends with different houses. Maybe learning that she was a witch changed her a bit. Made her more odd if anything.

Though when Sam laughed out loud and almost fell over, Wednesday just stared at him like he was losing his mind. Though she had gotten that look plenty of times it was finally nice to be able to give someone else it. "I'm the idiot?" Wednesday said doubting his sanity for a moment wondering what she had said. It was a simple question, maybe Sam just didn't know the answer.

But as he called her over next to him in the grass she went sitting down and crossing her legs so that she sat Indian style. As she looked voer the picture that Sam handed it she couldn't help but take in every detail. Sam explained to her that the snitch was not a person but a bright gold ball that seemed to have wings. Doubting that he was telling her the truth she glanced at him. Though Wednesday had little choice but to go with what he said so she paid attention to the seeker who was a person.

"What a dumb name for a ball gosh" Wednesday said rolling her eyes feeling slightly awful for not understanding the basic fact of seeker and snitch at first. "But I get it" She said slightly afraid to ask another question though she had plenty.

"Yeah pretty much." he laughed though he was only joking by calling her an idiot. "Well if thats a bad name how unoriginal and boring is a foot-ball." Sam said thinking if that was the correct name. "I mean use a bit of creativity once in a while." he said aloud as if there was a whole football team in front of him. "Well, good. Oh see this guy." he said pointing to the moving chaser. "I plan to be better than him when I'm older." he smiled thinking of it. That was his dream. "Anything else you need to know?" he asked her.

"Whatever" Wednesday said a hint of jest in her voice as she held up her hand in that old fashion talk to the hand sort of action that had seemed to die by this year and time. "Football isn't that unoriginal. I mean people barely touch the ball with there feet. Only for goal kicks. Plus there are much more runnings for touchdowns and such." Wednesday went on realizing that the boy may be talking about Football in England which may be Soccer in Wednesday's mind. Though she wasn't sure. She shrugged it off.

As Sam pointed out another guy Wednesday looked at him. "I see him" Wednesday said "And why do you want to be him?" Wednesday asked. God why couldn't this game be as easy to understand as muggle tennis or horse back riding. "Oh and what on earth is a hoop used for?" Wednesday asked wondering how someone can hula hoop on a broom up in the air. Gosh she was a good hula hooper but not that good.

Sam laughed and quoted what she said before "Whatever." When she say the chaser Sam smiled, "Becuase he islke the best chaser ever. I plan to be better." Sam smirked though he did want to be a famous quidditch player when he was older. "The hoops are like..erm..Goalie posts? Is that what there called. Y'know the things with the nets?" he asked her. "Anyway. The chaser-" he pointed to a chaser "-that dude scores in the hoops. There is three hoops in total." he said to Wednesday.

ChaserWednesday thought trying to engrave the word in her mind hoping to remember it when the time came that she wanted or down right needed to. "Oh you want to be famous" Wednesday said nodding. "That is a common goal among many" She said smiling as she looked down at the picture still. It was to her so new, so different.

"Oh hoops are like goals" Wedesday said now understanding what that one picture of a quidditch field was supposed to mean. The hoops were in the air. "I was thinking hula hoops" Wednesday said not embarassed at all by her unknowing. Gosh Sam probably didn't know much about muggle sports and Wednesday did. Knowledge was spread out among many people so that no one person knew everything. Or at least that was what Wednesday thought.

"I see" Wednesday said trying to show Sam that she was following. "Well I guess I can hopefully understand quidditch soon Maybe even enough to hop on a broom and try when we take a class in flying" Wednesday said as she leaned back a bit in the grass.

"Well not famous, I just want to play Quidditch as a job." he shrugged he wasn't in it for the money either. "No these are metal ones and you don't spin them around your waist." he actually saw a hula hoop in action once, it was quite impressive. "Yeah you seem to be catching on quick. I'll bet we'll be seeing you on the pitch soon." Sam said hopefully to her. "So Wednesday, where are you from?"" he asked her.

"Well that is a bit better. I think I may want to be a writer and work for the wizarding newspaper" Wednesday said not knowing what the wizard newspaper was called but not really caring either. It was just one of those things that clicked with her. She just had to practice her writing skills now along with her quidditch skills. At least she had a bit of writing skills. Wednesday was starting off quidditch without a simple ounce of practice.

"I hope so. Maybe we could even both be on the house team" Wednesday said hoping that what it was called 'house team'. Without doubting herself she went on. "Oh I'm from New Zealand" She said knowing that actually very few people were. "Queenstown actually" She said being more in depth. "And Sam where are you from?" She asked.

"Hmm...that could be interesting. you could write about the new rising star of quidditch." he joked. He never really considered going into writing, or any other career at that. Quidditch was always his dream

"Yeah you bet. I'll be looking forward to playing with you." he smiled to her. "Really, I'm living in Queenstown at the moment, with my uncle. I am from London originally but moved over in the summer." he said.

"Well if you do get big someday I want to be that inside writer" She said grinning. Wednesday hoped that she would be that type of writer always getting the story. That was one of her biggest goals though she wouldn't mind going into the minstry or being a professor if her main dream bit the dust.

"Good Just hope someday I don't kick your butt at Quidditch" She said in jest doubting that she would ever in the whole wide world be better than Sam but it was always possible.

"Are you really!" Wednesday said excitedly. "Isn't it just lovely there. I am going to miss when we are at school" She said thinking of home and her friends that she left there including her best friend. "Oh but London sounds lovely. Do you miss it?" Wednesday asked her over excited voice obviously showing.

He laughed lightly and lay back fully on the ground. "Ha! Well, maybe you will..you seem to catch on well." he smirked. "Yeah it is really lovely." Although living with his uncle was incredibly boring, hence why he was down here in the first place. "Sometimes I miss it. Like the rushing and stuff.." It entertained him slightly to watch people rush about him frantically. Sam though was quite laid back so New Zealand seemed to suit him more. "My dog is back there" he sighed, he seemed to miss Vader more than his parents.

Wednesday smiled. "Just wait until you see me on a broom. You may just be ashamed you know me. " She said grinning thinking about how much it will be falling off a broom a few times as long as she didn't break anything of coarse. Though as Wednesday listened to Sam speak about Queenstown she really did miss home. Maybe she would go back and visit her friend. Though now that she was a witch Wednesday wondered if she was allowed to be friends with muggles, or at least who Wednesday thought was a muggle.

"aww you have a dog" Wednesday said smiling brightly. "I absolutely love dogs" She said grinning. "Though I've never been able to have one myself. My mother won't let me have any pets. My friend had a couple though. I used to go over and play with them all the time" Wednesday said thinking back. "What is your dogs name?" She asked

Sam laughed, "Yeah he is a bit of an idiot." Sam said thinking of Vader. "Thats a pity you couldn't have one. Oh, its Vader out of Star Wars?" he smirked, not many students knew what Star Wars was but he always watched it. "He is a black labrador." he said, "Did you buy any pets for Hogwarts?" he asked her.

Wednesday added a bit of a laugh "That isn't too nice. Something along he isn't the brightest crayon in the box would be nicer to say" Wednesday admitted. She probably overused that saying a lot. Maybe because it was nicer to say that someone was thick.

"Yeah but whatever" Wednesday said still wishing she could have one. "But oh like Dark Vader?" Wednesday asked smiling hoping she was right. Sure she was no Star Wars fan but she knew about it. Of coarse she liked Yoda the best, but who didn't.

"I actually just got a puffskein" Wednesday said smiling brightly. "I hope I am one of the few in the school that have one" She added. "Do you have a pet for hogwarts yet since they don't allow dogs?" Wednesday asked never understanding why they wouldn't allow a dog in the school.

Sam laughed, "Ilike that.." he referred to the brightest crayon in the box. "Yeah, yeah. Thats were I got it from. Best villian of all time if you ask me....well exculding The Joker. He's pretty cool aswell." Sam was slightly nerdy when it came to superhero stuff. "Ah! Well your the first person I've met that has one...so what exactly are they?" he asked her.

"Yeah I got a cat, I'm calling him Yoda!" he laughed again. He really was a nerd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back