A Day By the Lake

Blane Bailey

Blane walked out on to the grounds, after breakfast. He had not been very hungry at Breakfast so had, had a half bit of toast, he had his guitar on his back and was walking across the garden to an empty spot underneath a tree. In his hand was a note book with the songs he had written in it. Blane reached the spot and sat down, he put his notebook to the side and took the guitar off his back. He began to tune it while mindless looking around him. Once happy that his guitar was tuned Blane tried to decided what to singing. He picked and song and began to play, as the lyrics came up Blane began to sing. He was singing How To Save a Life by The Fray.

Andromeda was walking around the lake when she heard the sound of a guitar and knew it was Blane. She followed the sound to where he was sitting and walked over sheepishly to him. This was the first time they had met since they broke up.
She listened as he sang, maybe he wouldn't want to talk to her. She bit her lip not sure what to do. She was only a stones throw away from him but he seemed so focused on his song that he hadn't noticed her anyway. She turned around ready to walk away.

Blane finished the song. He looked around and saw what looked like Andromeda. This would be the first time the had talked since they broke up. "Andromeda is that you?" Blane asked "Do you not even want to talk to me anymore?"

Andy stopped and turned around smiling at him.
"You were playing and I didn't want to disturb you", she walked slowly over to where he was sitting, "I didn't know if you'd want to talk to me".
She said it honestly before sitting down infront of him.

"Too much!" she laughed, "went night time flying and got into serious trouble. attending all classes and doing good enough. hoping to try out soon for the quidditch team as Professor Kiara Ana says I can fly with Bruin our prefect. Keep
me out of trouble anyway".
She watched him play a few chords.
"I actually miss the flute and piano now. Funny because I didn't think I would".

Andromeda laughed "I was pretending it was a wand back home when I was flying around our lake. It kind of fell in the water and i never told my parents".

She looked down at the grass remembering how she had been madly waving her wood flute in the air banishing all sorts of nasties when she slipped from her broom and grabbed onto it again with one hand as it floated through the air. She had let the flute fall so that she could swing her other hand up to hold onto the broom which hadn't done her much good as she slid off and into the lake anyway.

Blane smiled. "I tried to learn the flute at my old muggle school but never quite got the hang of it so they let me sing in choir. I wasn't that good at singing back then. I did get to keep the flute though." Blane said smiling. "I'll get you a flute for your birthday. Are you going to the Halloween thing?"

"I suppose, everyone else is going are they?" Andy couldn't believe she hadn't known this was going on, she really had to get out more, "Halloween is actually my moms birthday".
Where was she going to get a costume so close to the festival? She looked at Blane, "What are you dressing up as?"

"I'll have to start working on my costume fast then. They probably won't let us go to Hogsmeade will they? I'll write my mom a letter and see if she can send me anything. I have to make her a card anyway for her birthday", Andy smiled, it might actually be nice to take her mind of studies for a bit.

"Halloween. I know mad huh?" she smiled, "what's scary about an angel? isn't Halloween supposed to be about scary things. It would probably be a bit much dressing up as a witch with the old tall hat and long green nose". she laughed.

"Nope. My mom and myself usually made my costume every other year, so it'll be strange not having her here to help me this year. I helped make this really daft pumpkin costume last year for a party at my old school", she told him, turning herself around on the grass and lying down on her stomach, she leaned on her elbows as she propped her head up with her hands.
"All the other girls came in these beautiful shop bought fairy witch costumes, sparkling wings and everything. Then I waltz in with a big round orange costume and a green tuft on my head."

On closer recall, Andromeda remembered how they had all made fun of her, she had been really upset and couldn't wait to get home and out of the costume. She had had fun with her mother making it, but that memory always got marred by the actions of the other children.

"You had halloween parties at your last school. The muggle school I attended didn't do parties so on Halloween they would read scary stories. I only heard a few because I didn't go to that school for long but they were never scary." Blane said "Then when I lived alone, on halloween, I would sit on the roof and watch people go round the doors. Thats quite fun."

"As much as I wanted to, I couldn't. Mainly because I would have drawn attention to myself and people would ask questions, I could have been taken into care" Blane said with a shudder "I went to the nearby park but at weekends." Blane said "The house I lived in was pretty closed of. You had to go down many lanes and its got lots of trees around it."

"That must have been awful being that alone", she looked at him through hooded eyes, "At least you've made lots of friends here. You're never alone for very long".
She smiled thinking how true that was considering she had yet to spend 10minutes on her own here.

Blane nodded "You can never be alone here for too long." Blane said "I actually wasn't that lonely when I lived alone. Some days I was but I had books, I learned the guitar, I explored every corner of the house, Its not like i had nothing. I miss the alone time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back