A bit of interesting news.....

Julie Bennett-Drage

OOC First Name
Julie ^_^
Julie woke up early and headed to the bathroom that adjoined the bedroom she shared with her husband, Tristan. As she entered the room, she looked back with a conspiratorial smile at her sleeping husband. There was something that she needed to confirm, something that had been nagging at her for a few days now. Closing the door, she crossed to the cabinet that held her more feminine supplies -- a place that she knew without a doubt that Tristan would not dare venture into unless begged for hours to do so.

Pulling out a small box, she took opened it quickly, dancing a bit with anticipation. She needed to use the toilet, but needed to make sure that she was ready before she did so. The foil package was quickly disposed of, and she got down to business. Setting the contents of the package on the counter, she jumped into the shower to wash up, figuring that she would look at the results when she was done, or that Tristan would react to the results for her while she showered.

After a rather late night of tossing and turning Tristan finally managed to open his eyes. He stared at the ceiling for a good few minutes, always finding it incredibly difficult to focus when he woke up. Despite the fact that he had lost his eyesight over a year ago, he was still having trouble adjusting to it. One year of having just one eye did not make up for forty-two years of live using two eyes.

Quite glad that neither Erik nor Eliza had barged in to arrest him from sleep, Tristan swung himself into a sitting position, his legs hanging over the bed. He scratched his scalp, groaning as he stood and stretched. He hadn't had very restful sleep of course, not since he had encountered Thorine in the Leaky Cauldron. What was worse was that he had yet another kid to worry about. He was contemplating returning to the pub and trying to sort something out with Thorine, but he wasn't sure about how to go around it without getting his head blown off either.

He slipped into the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom he shared with his wife, smirking as he realized that she was in the shower. Figuring that he would need one himself, he decided to surprise her. His silence was interrupted when he saw a weird contraption on the counter. He held it up, peering at it. "Hey Julie," he started to say, "What is this weird stick thing? It has this pink plus sign on it. The more I think about it, Muggle Studies didn't help me a damn bit."

Julie jumped a bit as she heard Tristan's voice. Whipping open the shower curtain to look out, shampoo still in her hair and toothbrush in her mouth, she had a huge smile on her face. "Are you sure it is a plus sign?" she said, pulling the toothbrush from her mouth.

Tristan nodded at his wife. "See for yourself," he chuckled, "Unless my eyesight has gone really bad, that's a plus sign." He looked back at her quizzically, unsure what in the world this thing was. Asking what the sign was really did nothing to alleviate his confusion.

Julie looked at the little stick as he held it out for her. There it was. A perfectly pink plus sign. Happiness swelled through Julie and she was in a bit of shock. "Wow." She shut the curtain and quickly rinsed her hair, then turned off the water. Opening the curtain, she giggled at the confusion apparent on her husband's face.

Quickly wrapping a towel around her head and her body, she crossed to her husband and threw her arms around him. "Well, that little stick there is a pregnancy test, and that plus sign means we are going to have a baby together." She watched his face, wondering what kind of reaction he was going to have. Tristan had many regrets that he had shared with her, one was not being there from the start for any of his children and he was working on making up for that fact. She was not sure how he would react to having the chance to do things 'right' with their child.

Tristan remained both befuddled and intrigued by the muggle device. He was beginning to think that he would never truly fit in to this world. The man was a wizard through and through, albeit one with strange tastes. Julie's parents always seemed to regard him from a distance. He was fortunate not to have slipped up in front of them. Shaking the plastic thing in frustration, he resolved that he still had much to learn about the muggle world.

The large man moved back as his wife stepped out of the shower. He was even more confused when Julie threw her arms around him, pleased of course, but that was besides the point. How in the world could such a contraption make someone so happy?

His confusion was twisted and contorted, fear overpowering the lesser emotion with no reservations. Tristan's jaw hung open, the inside of his mouth turning into cotton. "What?" he choked loudly, "Come again?" He knew that in all respects he should be at least receptive to the news, but he was too afraid that what had just come out of his wife's mouth was not a joke.

Julie giggled a bit more at the way that Tristan reacted. She knew he was not expecting it, and to be honest, she was not either when she first started to suspect she was with child. They had not planned on having any more children, and Tristan was careful to whisper a contraceptive charm each time they were together. The only thing that she could think was that he messed up with the charm once, or the charm's effectiveness was not as strong on her because of her lack of magic.

"I know. I wasn't expecting this either. We are going to have a baby, Tristan. One of our own. About 9 months from now." She looked up to meet Tristan's eyes, trying to gauge his reaction.

Tristan's face fell as Julie reaffirmed the worst. He made a weak attempt at a smile, but he just couldn't hold it up. Feeling dizzy, he said simply, "I have to sit down." Gently, he removed her arms from his neck, and stumbled into the room adjacent, slow to place his bottom on the side of the bed.

Holding his head in his massive hands, Tristan had to struggle to keep himself from swaying back and forth. He had just found out about Christian, a child he would probably never know. What had he done with his life? He seemed perfectly capable of bringing children into this world, but was perfectly incapable of dealing them properly once they got there.

He wanted to be happy for Julie, yet he couldn't help the churning in his stomach. Fear and despair had festered there where some sort of positivity should have. The large man was silent, all except the occasional light groan as he brooded.

Julie stood and watched stunned as Tristan made his way to sit down on the bed. This was definitely not the reaction that her loving husband should have had, and it puzzled her. She could feel the tears welling in her eyes and anger building within her. She tried to tell herself that he was in shock, but the extra hormones raging through her bloodstream were reacting and her head was loosing the battle.

Walking to the door of the bathroom, she tried to hold back tears as her anger took over. "What the hell is your issue Tristan Drage? We are having a baby. It's not a death sentence, you idiot! You are acting like I told you I wanted a divorce or something!" With that, she slammed the bathroom door and turned around, her back to the wall next to the door. Sliding down to the floor, she let the tears flow, her arms on her knees and her forehead resting on her arms.

Tristan hadn't imagined that he could feel any more horrible at this point in time, but when Julie bellowed at him. As her voice resounded in his ears he knew that he was not even fit to be with the rats in the sewers. Shuddering violently, he squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to get a grip on himself, yet he couldn't help feeling like scum.

Rising tentatively he moved over to the door, his adam's apple sharp as it bobbed up and down. Putting his hand on the door, he said quietly, "Julie? I- I'm sorry." He was sure that they were just empty words, but they were better than nothing. He wasn't sure how he was going to make up for his less than savory reaction.

Julie took a deep breath as she heard Tristan's words. She was pissed, her anger at his reaction heightened by the hormones from the pregnancy. It explained why she was so touchy the last few weeks, and why she was so tired. His pathetic apology just made her more emotional and angry. "I bet your sorry. Leave me alone!" She reached over and punched the door as she spoke, hurting her hand in the process. "OW! Son of a--Gah. DAMNIT!" She quickly pulled her hand back and cradled it, having hurt it in the process of expressing her anger.

After deciding that asking Julie if she was alright would not be the most intelligent course of action, Tristan stood in his place on the other side of the door. Leaning his head against the sleek wood, he waited a few moments before speaking again. He didn't want to dig himself into an even bigger hole with his wife.

"I'm sorry," he repeated again, "I'm being a giant idiot, and I really mean it. I was scared at first- hell, I'm still scared," he frowned at this, clenching his fists together, "But I know we can get through this together." He was not sure what else to say. Women were difficult, that was for sure. They seemed to be in a species all their own. The man was always uncertain of whether he was saying too much or too little.

Julie continued to cry as she sat in a towel on the bathroom floor. She heard Tristan speak, trying to make amends, but she was not ready to accept just yet. This was supposed to be the happiest moment in her life. She was having a baby with her husband, something she had not done before since she was not married to Eliza's father. Tristan's words seemed to just infuriate her more. "GET THROUGH THIS?? ARE YOU JOKING?? THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO GET THROUGH! THIS IS OUR CHILD WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! OUR CHILD!!" She was sobbing at this point. This was not how this was all supposed to happen. Her hand was throbbing from when she punched the door, and she was on the floor in a towel. Not exactly how she pictured this going this morning.

Tristan decided to brave the storm and opened the door ever so slowly. He wasn't sure what he was in for, but he knew that he would have to do something, even if it meant risking a few blows to the head. The large man moved inside the bathroom, feeling that a piece of Drooble's best blowing gum decorating the sole of a young kid's shoe was less scummy than he was right now.

Kneeling down beside his wife, he tried to hold her hands in his. "I'm sorry, honey," he started softly, "That was not very considerate of me."

Julie heard the door open and Tristan make his way in. She was not sure what she wanted from him at this point, but a bit of excitement would be nice. As he took her hands in his, she started to calm a bit. "No it wasn't. It was pretty damn mean." Tears continued to fall down her cheeks as she looked up at her husband, her eyes still showing the pain that she was feeling.

Tristan was really at a loss for words. What else could he do except apologize? Smiling weakly at Julie, he moved closer to her. "I'm sorry, I really am. Having a child with you is going to be wonderful." His expression was sincere, as were his words. He tried at a weak smile, though he was sure that it was coming off weird. Nervousness was plain in every concerned wrinkle, reverberating throughout his very bones.

Julie looked Tristan in the eyes. She could tell he was being sincere, that he was shocked and not reacting well was just part of how he was going to take this news. "I really want to have your baby, Tristan. I don't know what made you react that way, but I am excited. This is just one more wonderful thing we get to share," she said, a few stray tears still rolling down her face. "I know it is a bit nerve wracking. This will be a big change for us, but I want this. I really do. I want you to want this too. Tristan, this child is half of you and I need you here with me to help me. I don't know the first thing about raising a baby with magical blood." She squeezed his hands with hers, then winced from the pain. "Damnit. That hurts." She looked down at her right hand, and realized it was starting to bruise.

Tristan was not excited at all to be having another child. Every kid that he sired lost him in some way. He didn't want to put another in the same predicament. However, he knew that there was no reversing what he had done, and he would have to deal with the consequences.

"I'm not going anywhere," he stated firmly, though he wondered if he said it more to assure himself of this than her. The large man was not sure of what else to say. "No- I'll be here with you. And Eliza and Erik," he repeated. He released his grip from her hands, frowning at the large welt that was forming.

"Here," he said softly, pulling out his wand and waving it over her hand. The bruise disappeared, leaving her skin normal as ever. If he had done it right, the pain would be gone too. He gave her a slight smile, hoping sincerely that she was feeling better. The next good part of a year was going to be a trying road.

Julie felt a small smile creep across her face when Tristan promised to be there for her and their children no matter what. That reassurance that he was not leaving calmed her down. He had been so distant these past few months since coming back from "Down Under" and she could not figure out what was wrong. She had asked him numerous times, and he usually shut her up with a few kisses and, well, the child she was bearing was a result of one of those times he shut her up.

When he healed her hand, she flexed it, amazed that she did not have to go to the doctor after all. "Thanks," she muttered, a bit embarrassed that she had let her emotions get to her like that. She was not sure what to do now, but decided to try again to find out what exactly was bothering her husband. "I still want to know what has been bugging you since we got back. You are so distant, and every time that I try to bring it up, you do something to distract me totally." She pointed at her stomach, hoping he would realize that even conceiving their own child was one of those times. "What is wrong?" Julie was not only concerned for Tristan, but for herself and their marriage. If he had changed his mind about her, or their marriage, she wanted to know. His reaction to the news of them having a baby only increased her fears that he was going to leave her, despite what Tristan had promised just now.

Tristan frowned as he looked back at Julie. He knew that he should probably have told her back when they were at his brother and sister-in-law's, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Now that she seemed at least a little happier again- that was what he figured from her smile- he didn't want to make her upset again. Yet he knew as he looked back at her that there would be no distracting her from the truth this time. He let out a sigh as he picked her up effortlessly, and plopping her down on the bed he sat next to her, looking her straight in the eye.

"Do you remember when we went to the Leaky Cauldron for dinner? That woman that was there?" he glanced back at her, figuring that more than likely she would remember Thorine.

Julie was a bit shocked when Tristan picked her up and moved her to the bed. She squeeled just a tiny bit at being moved. Not quite sure what to expect, she looked into her husbands blue eyes, hoping the truth was not going to hurt. "The tall, blonde woman that was glaring at me? Like she wanted to kill me with her eyes? Yeah, I remember her. What about her?" She moved around just a bit, making herself more comfortable on the bed, a sick feeling building in the pit of her stomach.

Tristan was glad that he did not have to explain who Thorine was. "Well, when I went upstairs to find Erik and Anders- they were in a room with her. And she had a baby boy in her arms." He sighed as he looked back at Julie, hoping that she would figure it out. He didn't want to hurt her any more with his words than he had to.

Julie took in the words that he spoke, and her mouth dropped open. Was it possible that Tristan had another child with another woman? But, when? And what did that mean for her? As she found her voice, she asked the question that she so desperately needed answered, and wished would remain unanswered all the same. "Were you involved with her?" She needed to know.

Tristan's face fell any more as he took in Julie's reaction. He nodded solemnly. "Yes. One night. And it was before I came to the States." Before Morgase died, he wanted to add, but even that hurt him too much. He also didn't want to show what kind of a person he was, or had been, for that matter. Julie was dealing with a lot to process right now.

Fighting off the urge to cry, Julie took the information in. It was before they met, before they fell in love. That was good. And it was obvious that he did not know about the child until they were at the pub. "And you just found out about the child when we were there?" She prayed that it was the truth. She was not sure how she would react otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back