When growls appear, there's no excuse

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex tossed and turned in his bed. He had missed dinner and was still starving after eating what his friend had saved him. Slipping trainers on, he didn't bother putting anything over his PJs. It was unlikely anyone would be roaming round the school at this time, except maybe the Profs but they weren't exactly going to care much. He yawned, before picking his wand up and tip toeing out the dorms and through the common room.
Alex stopped tip toeing as soon as he closed the portrait behind him. He shivered as he walked to the kitchens. He would grab a bite there surely. He knew the secret. Tickle the sleeping pear in the bowl. And once he reached there without any disruptions, he would be safe.
Alex didn't bother lighting his path, he knew the school far too well now, and besides, the Professors would catch him if he did. He reached the portrait as planed and slipped into the kitchens. Yawning again, an untimed response answered it. Alex's cheeks blushed though there wasn't anyone about. He hated it when his stomach decided to be a person. He spotted some rolls on the counter and grabbed one. He tore a bit off a started to eat it, letting his wand rest in his pyjama bottoms.

Kiera had been avoiding her mother ever since they had returned from Christmas break. As a result of that, she had hidden out in her dorm through dinner. She was starving so she waited until it was safe to sneak down to the kitchens. Around midnight, she left her house. She was wearing her muggle workout clothes that consisted of a tank top, nike training shorts, and tennis shoes. Her hair was pulled back and loosely tied. A few curls fell around her face.

Kiera made it safely down to the fruit portrait. She had met no one on her way down. She tickled the pear so that the painting would swing open. Kiera walked into the room. She jumped as she saw someone sitting at the counter. It took her a minute to work out that it was Alex. She smiled with relief. "Hello stranger." she said happy that it was Alex in the room.

(sorry , comp froze. =-/ )

Alex had slid onto the counter, glad he was getting food. At least his stomach had shut up. He didn't even notice anyone walk in so when someone spoke up, he wasn't expecting it. He jumped and his wand found it's place in his left hand. It was only when his heart had started again that he realized who it was. 'Geez, Kiera. Just spend your time trying to give people heart attacks'he complained, though he really didn't mean anything of it. He replaced his wand in his tracky bottoms before smiling. 'Sorry, really tired,'he apologized before leaning back against the counter. He didn't feel like sitting on it just yet.

Kiera frowned at Alex. He was in bad mood it appeared. "I wasnt trying to give you a heart attack. I was simply hungry. I skipped dinner." she informed him. She walked over to the refridgerator and pulled out a butterbeer as well as a salad and dressing. She got a fork out of the drawer and took her food to the counter. She pulled up a bar stool. Kiera took a better look at Alex. "Are you alright?" she asked him concerned.

Alex watched Kiera get her food as if she had been here many times before. He wondered why she had skipped dinner. It wasn't usual for her to do that, was it?
'Me?'he asked a little surprised on why she was asking him that. 'I'm fine. Couldn't be better' he replied, frowning a bit. He continued eating his roll. It seemed that's all he ended up eating these days. Rolls and water, rolls and water. 'Why did you skip dinner? Were you ill?'he asked, more concerned about her than himself.

Kiera poured a small amount of salad dressing on her salad. She picked up her fork and took a bite. She had been coming her since the night her mother had arrived. Alex seemed surprised she asked him how he was. "Yes you. Normally, you dont snap at people." she said simply. She wasnt upset with him, she just wanted to make sure he was alright.

Kiera looked up at Alex as he asked her why she skipped dinner and if she was ill. It pleased her that he seemed concerned about her. She took another bite of her salad. "I'm not ill." she said looking up at him. She sighed. "I skipped dinner because I didn't want to see my mother. She is now a Professor here." Kiera said. She was sure he would remember what she said about her mother. Kiera was still upset by her mother's latest news.

Alex thought over this new news. 'Your mother? But..but I thought she was a death eater. She changed then?'he asked her, slightly confused. Surely the mark couldn't be erased. Not that he knew loads about death eaters. He knew more about Voldermort than his followers to be honest.
'You still don't beleive that though do you?'he asked her again, not sure if he totally understood yet.

Kiera sighed again and decided she needed to start from the beginning. "I went to her house over break because she demanded that I do so. My death eater mother has a boyfriend. Not just any boyfriend but one who is a seer and an auror. Ironic isnt it?" she asked with a roll of her eyes. "Anyways the boyfriend claims my mother is changing her ways and tells him information about the Death Eaters." she said skeptically. "Then a few days later my mother sends me an owl to tell me she is the new Transfiguration Professor. Perfect isnt it?" she said, not looking very happy.

"I think that she is still a death eater no matter what the auror thinks. This job is just a cover up. She has plenty of money. After all she owns Borgins and Burke. My mother is Jacqueline Burke." Kiera said so that he would understand why her mother would own that store. In a quieter, softer tone Kiera said, "I skipped dinner to avoid her."

Alex listened understanding finally where Kiera was coming from. He thought about what he said before actually speaking out loud. 'Maybe, maybe she is but maybe she isn't. But while she's here, I doubt she's going to do anything outrageous even if she hasn't changed.'he told Kiera. 'The main thing is, death eater or not, I'm sure she doesn't want you to miss your dinner every night.'he added wondering if it was even healthy coming down here to eat you're missed dinner every night. Alex guessed not though, seeing as he was so tired already.

Kiera shook her head at Alex. "I just cant stand her." she said feeling very small. She knew she needed to eat and skipping meals wasnt healthy. She decided to tell him something no one else knew. "Alex, she is a legimens. Once she used me to find out information about Professor Taggert, the old Care of Magical Creatures professor. It was awful. Of course that was right after 4th year. I came back to the school and asked Professor King to teach me occlumency. He was but then he left. I dont know enough to protect my mind. I do not want her to try and get in my head again." she said slightly ashamed at amitting a weakness to him. Kiera liked Alex and didnt want him to think of her badly.

Alex frowned. What her mother had done to Kiera was horrible. Alex hated his mind messing with itself but someone else, especially someone you know messing with it would just be unbearable. 'She wouldn't do that here again though. Not when there's so many other Professors here. That would just blow her cover that you think she has,' he said, thinking it aloud logically so Kiera would just go eat like a normal person again. He didn't fully believe Kiera because there were so many sides to this kind of debate but he understood her view.

Kiera sighed. "I suppose your right." she said knowing Alex was thinking logically. Kiera hated her mother even more for coming here. Why couldnt she just leave Kiera alone? "I wish she hadn't come here." Kiera said softly, a single tear on her cheek. She quickly turned her face from Alex and wiped the tear away.

Kiera tried to smile. It was a weak attempt. "You didnt come here to listen to my problems." she said not wanting to say anymore about Jacqueline. "How was your break? Did you visit your family?" Kiera asked interested in what he had to say.

Alex smiled as Kiera saw it through herself now. 'Maybe things will turn out better' he said before noticing Kiera was close to tears. Alex smiled kindly as she tried to smile back. 'I don't mind' he replied before eating the last bit of his roll. 'My break was ok. Yeah-actually, no. I didn't visit them. I visited my old care home. It was...interesting to say the least' he said, before stifling a yawn. His cheeks pickened a bit at this before he took his wand. 'Accio butterbeer'he summoned, catching it in his hand. He replaced the wand, smiling at Kiera. 'So, umm, how are you, besides the whole other stuff?'he asked them.

Kiera smiled at Alex this time. A real smile as he began to talk about his break. Kiera had a confused look on her face. "What's a care home?" she wondered. "Why was it interesting?" she wanted to know. It was easier to talk about him than herself. Kiera picked up her own butterbeer and drank two big gulps. She couldnt remember if this contained alcohol or not. She figured it did since it was called beer.

"Besides the obvious I guess I am good. I dont know how I feel about the this last term. Next year we will be in the 7th years positions deciding what to do with our lives. Personally, I have no idea what to do." Kiera replied as honestly as she could.

Alex couldn't believe she didn't know what a care home was. Everyone in Britain practically knew what they were, not that they wanted to half the time. 'Well, it's when you're parents can't look after you, for whatever reasons so you go into a home with other kids. I used to live there till I was 7. Hated the place but I went back this summer. You only stay there till 16, which I am so it was nice to see all my old friends. Except the fact that nothing much has actually changed there. that's all' he said, smiling at Kiera at times. He took a gulp of butterbeer, letting it hide his thrist. 'I haven't even given a thought to what I want to do. Not that I'll ever be accepted in any job probably' he added bitting his lower lip

Kiera nodded her head in understanding. "I guess we dont really have those in the States. I have always just lived with my dad. It wasnt perfect but it was a loving home." she said with a shrug. She felt bad that his parents couldnt care for him. She would not dare let that show. "Where are you going to stay this summer if you have to leave at 16?" she wondered. Kiera, of course, would offer for him to stay with her. That would be fun, if he wanted the offer. Kiera frowned when he said he didnt think he would get a job. "Of course you will. You're smart, and funny, and handsome." she said, not understanding.

Alex smiled. 'Where I've been staying since I was 7; with my friends' he replied smiling. Alex laughed as Kiera didn't understand. 'They don't want funny at jobs. They want hard-working and no nonsense. I'll be out in a matter of days' he replied, stating the truth. 'Where you probably will. You can shut your mouth up when it needs to be unlike me' he added, just stating the truth. He took another drink of his butterbeer. 'Anyway, we've got another whole year till we need to worry about that. Might as well enjoy the time without worrying about adult things. It always wastes time' he added, smiling. He almost felt like laughing again but on the other hand, he felt like just going back to bed to sleep.

Kiera grinned. "Well if you get a chance you should come stay with me over the next break. It will be warm and it will be my birthday then!" she said, her mood brightening considerably. She thought about what he said about jobs. Kiera shook her head. "You will get a job. Being handsome will get you far." she teased. "But your right no point in worrying." she said as she raised her glass and drank the rest of her drink. She picked up her wand and summonded the butterbeer silently. She had been working on that spell for quite some time. Kiera opened it and took another sip. Kiera was wide awake. She had no chances of sleep right now.

Alex smiled. He just hmm, as though he was really paying attention. He didn't fail to notice she was growing happier though and he was glad. He laughed as Kiera teased him. 'Here, here. Kiera finally sees sense' he joked , raising his still almsot full buterbeer up for more effect. He smiled. 'Boy, will I be glad when it starts getting cooler' he randomly commented. He was looking forward to autumn, specially for the leave fights.

Kiera laughed. "I have been know to make sense occasionally." she said her mood back to its normal level of cheerfulness. Kiera then heard Alex's comment about the cooler weather. She shook her head in disagreement. "I like the warm weather. We have a pool at my house and whenever I am not at the gym, I am at that pool. It so nice and refreshing." she said longing break to come. Her pool time was limited by how much time she spent training at the gym. A huge competition was coming up at the end of July and Kiera wanted to at least place top 5.

Alex shook his head back in disagreement. 'But, when it's cold, you can go ice-skating and you don't have to worry about getting burnt. Ice-skating beats swimming any day' he debated light-heartedly. He added in a quieter tone 'Plus when the leaves fall, there's bound to be some fights about' He couldn't believe they were having a conversation on weather. That's what people in Britain always did, not on the opposite side of the world.

Kiera smiled. "I dont really know how to ice skate. I have never lived anywhere where it actually snows or where there is ice skating. Caysi tried to teach me to skate once. I was horrible at it." she said laughing at the memory. "I almost broke my leg." she said. "Now swimming, swimming I am good at, and diving too." she told him with a smile. This was an odd conversation. Kiera laughed. "Are we really talking about the change of seasons?"

Alex laughed as she commented on the memory of ice skating. 'You can't of been that terrible then' he commented back, smiling. 'You never did break it' He nodded his head. 'Yeah, we really are' Alex laughed, with her. 'But it's very interesting and absolutely useless for anything' he complimented, not that the conversation would actually ever thank him.

Kiera shook her head and laughed with him. "No I really am. I have only ice skated once. I ended up with the whole right side of my body as a huge bruise." she said shaking her head again. "Maybe Cays just isnt the best teacher." she said more to herself than Alex. She wondered if Alex knew Caysi. They were in the same house and year but Caysi was awol most of the time. Kiera laughed with him. "I suppose it is interesting." she said with a playful smile. Her night was quickly turning into a better time.

Alex would wonder if Kiera would ever go on the ice again after having bruises on the first time she was on. 'Everyone gets bruises all the time on the ice'he told her, wondering who Caysi was. Someone he had never met anyway. 'Suppose?'Alex asked playfully back, her smile in his mind. Such a nice smile, he thought to himself, before snapping out of it. Why was he think about smiles all of a sudden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back