• Poll closed .

Hugo Stark-West

OOC First Name
Mia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Hello and welcome to Hugos Hnz book club May/June aka book club Mia edition.
I know I am a little early. but I am excited for my book choices. and am looking forward to seeing which gets picked. I have been trying to decide which books to put on the poll for a while. and have been caught on these four. so, this time you get one more option. (one is so short is is hardly a book anyway)
you have until the end of April to vote.

We have a choice of books.

49504061.jpg
43352954.jpg
42036538.jpg
34728667.jpg

The once and future witches.
Alix E Harrow
516 pages

This book was my favourite book of 2021 and I would love to reread it and it is a book I want to share with as many people as possible. It is a story about sisterhood and witchcraft and family and revolution switching between three sisters. With representation of main characters who are queer and disabled, it is dark but beautiful. I found this playlist on Spotify on it. and it suits it perfectly

In 1893, there's no such thing as witches. There used to be, in the wild, dark days before the burnings began, but now witching is nothing but tidy charms and nursery rhymes. If the modern woman wants any measure of power, she must find it at the ballot box.
But when the Eastwood sisters--James Juniper, Agnes Amaranth, and Beatrice Belladonna--join the suffragists of New Salem, they begin to pursue the forgotten words and ways that might turn the women's movement into the witch's movement. Stalked by shadows and sickness, hunted by forces who will not suffer a witch to vote-and perhaps not even to live-the sisters will need to delve into the oldest magics, draw new alliances, and heal the bond between them if they want to survive.
There's no such thing as witches. But there will be.

awards
Locus Award Nominee for Best Fantasy Novel (2021), Geffen Award for Best Translated Fantasy Book (2022), British Fantasy Award for Best Fantasy Novel (Robert Holdstock Award) (2021), Goodreads Choice AwardNominee for Fantasy (2020)

This is how you lose the time war
Amal El-Mohtar, and Max Gladstone
198 pages

I had this book highly recommended by a good friend whose book choices I trust. it is short only 200 pages and my friend described it as a lot of chicken and egg and says it packs a punch.

Among the ashes of a dying world, an agent of the Commandant finds a letter. It reads: Burn before reading. Thus begins an unlikely correspondence between two rival agents hellbent on securing the best possible future for their warring factions. Now, what began as a taunt, a battlefield boast, grows into something more. Something epic. Something romantic. Something that could change the past and the future.

Except the discovery of their bond would mean death for each of them. There's still a war going on, after all. And someone has to win that war.

awards
Hugo Award for Best Novella (2020), Nebula Award for Best Novella (2019), Locus Award for Best Novella(2020), British Science Fiction Association Award for Best Shorter Fiction (2019), Shirley Jackson AwardNominee for Novella (2020), Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award Nominee (2020), Los Angeles Times Book Prize Nominee for Science Fiction, Fantasy & Speculative Fiction (Ray Bradbury Prize) (2020), Prix Aurora Award for Best Short Fiction (2020), The Kitschies Nominee for Red Tentacle (Novel) and Inky Tentacle (Cover Art) (2019), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Science Fiction (2019), Brooklyn Public Library Literary PrizeNominee for Fiction and Poetry (2020), Reddit r/fantasy Stabby Award for Best Novella (2019), Ignyte Award for Best Novella (2020)

Gideon the Ninth
Tamsyn muir
448 pages

I have had this recommended by a few people and it sounds good. I think it has been summarised as lesbian necromancers in space. which is apparently all the description you need

The Emperor needs necromancers.
The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.
Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.
Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service.
Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.
Of course, some things are better left dead.

awards:
Hugo Award Nominee for Best Novel (2020) and for Best Series (2023), Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novel(2019), Locus Award for Best First Novel (2020), World Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Novel (2020), Premio Ignotus for Mejor Novela Extranjera (2022), British Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Newcomer (Sydney J. Bounds Award) (2020), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Science Fiction and Debut Novel (2019), Dragon Award Nominee for Best Science Fiction Novel (2020), BookNest Award Nominee for Best Debut Novel (2019)

Children of blood and bone
Tomi Adeyemi
525 pages

I fantasy set around African folklore highly recommended by a friend. I cant remember what she said about it, but she did recommend it highly enough that I went out and bought it.

They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.
Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.
But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.
Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.
Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.

awards
Locus Award Nominee for First Novel (2019), Geffen Award for Best Translated YA Book (2021), William C. Morris YA Debut Award Nominee (2019), Audie Award for Audiobook of the Year (2019), Teen Buckeye Book Award (2019), Rhode Island Teen Book Award Nominee (2020), British Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Newcomer (Sydney J. Bounds Award) (2019), Lincoln Award Nominee (2020), Andre Norton Award (2018), The Kitschies Nominee for Golden Tentacle (Debut) (2018), Kirkus Prize Nominee for Young Readers' Literature(2018), Goodreads Choice Award for Debut Author and Nominee for Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction(2018), Dragon Award for Best Young Adult / Middle Grade Novel (2018), Nommo Award Nominee for Best Novel (The Ilube Award) (2019), Lodestar Award (2019), BookNest Award Nominee for Best Traditionally Published Novel (2018), Children’s Africana Book Award for Best Book for Older Readers (2019)

The rules.
There are your options! This poll will be open until the end of April, so get your votes in quick! Once the lucky winner emerges, we'll have two months to discuss and enjoy in this thread, before the next poll begins.

React/discuss in the thread at your own pace, but since we all read at different speeds and are all different levels of busy, please be respectful and hide all potential spoilers behind spoiler tags.

Site rules apply to all discussion on site, but be warned that some books may potentially contain more mature themes or language.

The current book club leader schedule is as follows;
Jan/Feb - Cyndi
Mar/Apr- Rowan
May/Jun- Mia

Jul/Aug- Sarah
Sep/Oct- Kadi
Nov/Dec- Daphne
Anyone keen to take the lead in future should let Cyndi know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whooo Mia!

You've put up some good choices, I've already read This is how you lose the time war and Gideon the Ninth, but I would really recommend both. If This is how you lose the time war wins, I'll probably do a reread since it's so short and I enjoyed it a lot.

The other two books I already both want to read, but I think I'm going to vote for The once and future witches.

Unapologetically voting for the shortest option because that’s all I can handle right now haha. I also own a copy so that’s nice too. But honestly I think I have all of those books on my “to read” list.

I’m not too intimidated to pick Gideon the Ninth, YOU ARE!

I've also read This is how you lose a time war (i would happily read it again), I voted for Children of Blood and Bone, just as I think that would be interesting, but will likely add all of these to my to read list.

Children of Blood and Bone was a good read. I haven't read the rest of the series but definitely plan to at some point.

at the moment we have a tie between once and future witches and this is how you lose the time war. but it is close and could still go either way.
just a reminder only a few more days left to vote, as voting closes Tuesday.

xD I voted for Gideon but if there isn’t a tie breaker by Monday I’ll change my vote

24 hours left to vote.

It looks like the tie has been broken and we will not be reading “the once and future time war”
sorry, I had to, those titles just go together too perfectly, though “this is how you lose the witches” also works.

Edit: for those who are interested the once and future witches book is currently on sale for those who are interested.

Last edited:
Welp I didn't read the thread before voting so we've got a tie again :r

All of these are on my want to read list, and I actually just started Gideon the Ninth a few days ago :p I could have voted for it to give myself a headstart, but I've been really excited to read This is How you Lose the Time War for ages, so it got my vote ^_^

Voting is now closed. As it is still a draw the winner will be announced later today.

Due to the draw I am removing my vote which means this months book is…..
this is how you lose the time war.
It is a short one which should hopefully give us more time to discuss and enjoy it.

I've got about a 6 week wait but I've placed a hold through my library. :party:

I voted for the other book but I'm actually glad this won, looking forward to a reread.

I am going away in just over a week. so I am going to save the book for then.
As I am waiting and actually have no idea of what to expect for this book.
I have found a book club discussion online for this book. so here are some questions to discuss
Questions below are from here. (I have skimmed through them but not read them in detail as I dont want to give myself spoilers.)

1. Try thinking on a vertical time axis, with memories above and the future below. Does it change how you think about the past or future? Is it fun, icky? Other?
  2. Red and Blue come from very different futures, clues about which we only just start to learn about in these first chapters. Do you see yourself belonging more in The Agency or Garden. Why?
  3. Red and Blue find more and more inventive ways to leave each other messages. If you were in the Time War, and sent to this time, what creative way would you find to leave a message for your frenemy so only they found it?

1. Red hates poets. Or does she? In Chapter 1, she ponders the ramifications of letting the wrong person live: “A fugitive becomes a queen or a scientist, or worse, a poet.” In Chapter 7, in the midst of hating the infinite Atlantises, she ponders the worlds that have no Atlantis; that “know the place only through dreams and mad poets’ madder whispers.” Is Red’s ridicule of poet’s personal or a function of The Agency? Are poets neutral in the Time War or do they belong to (maybe beget) Garden? Bonus consideration: so far in the book, Red only talks of poets. Blue only talks of poetry.
  2. When Red writes to Blue, “I try not to think of you in the same way twice,” this is, on the surface, a safety measure. But it clearly has a secondary effect (intended or un-) of letting Red see Blue everywhere in the worlds around her. Have you ever changed the lens through which you thought about someone or something you care about? What effect did it have? Were you changing the lends to protect yourself or for other reasons?
  3. Chapter 12 ends on a doubling, if not tripling, down on a recommendation for the book, Travel Light, by Naomi Mitchison. Never having heard of it, we looked it up to find this engrossing article written by Amal El-Mohtar, co-author of Time War! We think it’s delightful to hide a glowing recommendation within the pages of fiction. If you could hide a book recommendation someplace, where would it be? What would you recommend?

1. By the end of this section, we've met both Garden and Commandant. Were they what you expected? Did either come off as the dominant leader? Did either seem to have an ethical high ground? Did you learn anything more about the Time War by meeting its principal adversaries?
  2. We've now seen Red on the go, hopping from mission to mission, strand to strand. In these moments, the writers build a whole world in a sentence, such as, "She races gravcycles through a crystal forest coursing with the brilliant pulse of human beings whose physical bodies have been rendered, like bacon fat, until the fragrance of their minds expands to fill all space." Try it yourself! Build a world in one sentence. Feel free to use Red as a pawn in it if needed. She an handle it.
  3. The character who aways follows Red and Blue, invisibly taking souvenirs from their missions, began the book being referred to as "a seeker." In these chapters, the character becomes named, "Seeker." Did you notice the shift? What do you think it means? Is Seeker definitely Red's shadow?

1. In chapter 19, once Red is finished working with the Experts to craft her poison pen letter for Blue, the lab is destroyed. Even though her orders are to save no one, she saved "what deaths history could spare." Is this a change in Red? Why does she care about those lives when all she cares about is Blue? Why, at a time when she's stopped caring about the Time War, does she still only save a few?
  2. We get a lot of detail about the specifics of their time travel in these final chapters. For instance, we find out "Threads burn as you enter them" in Chapter 21. What other details did you notice? How did saving these specifics for the end affect your reading experience?
  3. The discussion of losing or winning the time war mostly inhabit the beginning and end of the book. But there's a potential double meaning hidden in the title, This Is How You Lose the Time War. By attempting to go off the grid entirely, Red and Blue aren't just winning. They're also losing the Time War, as in leaving it behind. What else will they lose in their new life?

1. In chapter 19, once Red is finished working with the Experts to craft her poison pen letter for Blue, the lab is destroyed. Even though her orders are to save no one, she saved "what deaths history could spare." Is this a change in Red? Why does she care about those lives when all she cares about is Blue? Why, at a time when she's stopped caring about the Time War, does she still only save a few?
  2. We get a lot of detail about the specifics of their time travel in these final chapters. For instance, we find out "Threads burn as you enter them" in Chapter 21. What other details did you notice? How did saving these specifics for the end affect your reading experience?
  3. The discussion of losing or winning the time war mostly inhabit the beginning and end of the book. But there's a potential double meaning hidden in the title, This Is How You Lose the Time War. By attempting to go off the grid entirely, Red and Blue aren't just winning. They're also losing the Time War, as in leaving it behind. What else will they lose in their new life?

I voted for the other book but I'm actually glad this won, looking forward to a reread.
I am thinking I might read the other one at some stage soon, so hit me up if you want to discuss it off site let men now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back