Writing to Kaela

Courtney Potter

Wand
Best wand ever!
Courtney had been ecstatic ever since she had received the letter from Kaela. I can't believe she's coming back, I can't believe she's coming back! Courtney knew Kaela's return wasn't set in stone, but she allowed herself to get her hopes up anyways. It will be like old times, all of us girls, Cherry Cokes, and Twizzlers!

Courtney sat in a corner beside Arabella, and wrote her letter to Kaela.
Kaela!!

I am SOOOO excited that you might be coming back! I really do hope your parents let you come back, it's just not the same without you. And you think we would have gotten rid of your bed? Don't be so silly! In others news, we've asked Lily to bunk with us. So when you get back, we're really going to have a full house in our dorm! It's going to be really fun!

School is alright, like always. We have two new Professors, and they seem to be okay. Estrella and myself got into a bit of trouble a few days ago, but everything seems to be okay now. Bruin and Katalina are well as far as I know, you know, can't dampen the Gryffindor spirit.

Good news for Ravenclaw, though. Lily Potter was made Prefect! I'm super proud of her. What else can I tell you? Quidditch is now house teams again, and I'm in the process of picking the Ravenclaw team. I don't know if you've been reading the prophet, but I'm going to send you a copy anyways.

Miss you!!!
Courtney

PS - How's Finn? Well, I hope

Hogwarts New Zealand
Training Ground for Amateur Aurors?

Being notorious for keeping things secretive from the Ministry, Hogwarts New Zealand has been possessing an undercover auror ever since its first opening.

Nicolas King, 29, Defense of Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts New Zealand school, was revealed as an undercover Ministry member, according to a former ministry official.  King was placed at the school to monitor certain activities.  Just over three years ago Minister of Magic Gellert Coote placed the fresh auror King in the school, being entirely untrusting of its staff and students.  Since that date, the alleged “Professor” has been involved in many ministry operations without notice or credit to his efforts.

One such incident was the capture of ex and now suspected Death Eater Lucius Malfoy.  Malfoy was sprung from Ministry custody the day of his trial for his imprisonment in Azkaban. 

The same source to the Prophet has informed us that King was in fact, the chief reason Malfoy had been captured, a feat attributed to the now deceased auror Deidre Zeller.  Had it not been for the efforts of King, she would have not achieved Lucius’ capture.

Another incident was the much discussed break in of Hogwarts during its second year. Conveniently, King was there to fend off the forces of Death Eaters firsthand, despite his failure to capture or detain any of the individuals. A child was kidnapped from the school that evening and King managed to find said student and return them safely to the school without the prophet's knowledge.

King’s presence at the school is sure to be a concern for parents.  It brings up the question: could having an auror at the school be detrimental to our children’s safety?  Could he not be targeted by the radical remains of Death Eaters outing our futures at risk? 

I implore the good witches and wizards of our society to protest this absurd precaution of the Ministry.  If the ministry feels they can place an auror in our schools then I fell we need a new ministry.

Gellert Coote – Putting the Ministry before the People

Gellert Coote, Minister for Magic of New Zealand since 2016, recently held an early morning meeting for all Ministry employees. This came as a pleasant surprise to most, as it has been generally believed that the Minister is inadequate and has little interest in the productivity of the country. Although unfortunately, all the people who thought that the meeting would be productive were sorely disappointed. 

Having set no exact time for the meeting, many employees turned up late, half way through the Minister's opening speech. Luckily, they didn't miss much. The Minister had simply announced, to little to no surprise, that this was '...our first inter-departmental meeting.' He also added that our Ministry has 'a reputation for leading the Global Wizarding community in the matters that matter.' By this point, there were many concerned faces in the audience, and it's likely that we were all thinking the same thing. Is our Minister delusional?

Coote later admitted that only since his becoming the Minister, has our Ministry 'fallen into a slum.' and at this point, I think we all expected him to resign, but instead, he asked his own employees too, if they didn't believe that he could rebuild the Ministry. He then went on to explain how his first priority was now to up the Ministries security, which also raised a few eyebrows. Shouldn't their first and foremost priority be the protection of the people against the Death Eaters?

It wasn't until the end of his speech that he stated the terrifying obvious, that 'New Zealand has become a hub of Death Eater Activities'. And what is our Minister doing about this? He's strengthening the Ministry security, of course. Naturally, it doesn't matter that he's putting all his effort into this. One or two more murders by the Death Eaters would not be nearly as devastating as loosing the odd prophecy. Is our Leader putting the Ministry before the people? Protecting himself and forgetting about the rest of us?

And if the Minister himself isn't bad enough, it seems that various Ministry departments haven't been accomplishing much, either. Rhonda West, department the Wizarding Examinations, admits that they haven't been working on the examinations at all. Just what they've been up too, exactly, we have no idea. Also, the head of the Department of Mysteries, of a department which is meant to be, as it's name implies, of secrets, announced exactly what he and his men were up to. It was, to our understanding, that DoM employees were not to discuss their work in public. Whether the Unspeakable in question has been sacked or not, we currently do not know.

After a few comments to the Magical Creatures Regulation Office, Coote dismissed the assembly, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who thought it very much to be a waste of time. The only thing that the meeting enlightened us to was to how poorly our Minister is governing our country. It truly is no wonder that the 'Death Eaters have made themselves known in our great nation...'

Courtney finished the letter and bundled it up with the copy of the Dailey Prophet, and handed it to Arabella with some treats. Well, I hope Kaela gets this letter.

Kaela was sitting on the couch, watching some tv as she often did these days. Being home was really rather boring. Her old friends had moved on and weren't really interested in her anymore, so she didn't realyly have anyone to hang out with except Finn and her parents. With her ma sick, her da at her side, and Finn being a moody teenage boy, Kaela took the TV.

Out of nowhere an owl swooped in through the open window and dropped a rather large letter on her lap. "What the heck?" Kaela thought as she picked it up. "Oh, a letter from Courtney!" Kaela immediately perked up and began to read.

So that's why it was heavy, the Daily Prophet. I can't believe that about Professor King! Kaela stood and walked into her da's study where she sat down at the desk and began to write a reply to Courtney.
Courtney,

WHOA!  I can't believe that!  I leave and everything happens.  That's awesome for Lily, tell her congrats from me!  That's awesome that she's rooming with you guys, as long as there's a bed for me when I get back!

Things are pretty boring here.  Finn is being a royal butt lately.  I hope he snaps out of it.  I'll tell him you said hi.

Uh oh, I think I hear him now.  I better get going.

Miss you too!

-Kaela

Courtney was sitting on her bed, attempting to finish up some homework when Arabella knocked on the bedroom window. "Ooh, she's finally back from that trip to Kaela's!" Courtney quickly let the owl in and snatched the letter from it's grip.

Courtney sat back down on her bed to read Kaela's letter, giggling after every sentence read. She enjoyed receiving letters from Kaela, but missed sharing a bedroom and spending a lot of time with her friend. Courtney glanced down at her friendship ring, and decided to write something back to Kaela.
Kaela!

I'm glad to hear back from you so soon! Just laying down, doing homework here, nothing too interesting. And don't worry, everything didn't happen after you left. It just seems that way! Really, when you get back here, it will be like you've never left, I swear!

I think Nanook misses you too, from time to time he ends up sleeping at the bottom of your bed! Hope you don't mind. Tell Finn that if he doesn't stop being a butt, you'll cast a spell on him! I know it isn't allowed, but does he know that? I'm just joking around. He's your brother, so he probably thinks it is his duty to bug you or something.

See you soon!!
Courtney

Courtney,

I miss Nanook too!  I can't wait to come back and cuddle up with him in my bed.

I guess I could threaten him with magic.  Although I have a feeling my rents won't appreciate that much.  Things are pretty tense around here lately, which is why I figure Finn is being such a butt.  I'm sure it'll pass.

How are classes going?  Learned anything interesting yet?

-Kaela

This time it was after midnight when Arabella came sweeping through the open window, dropping a letter on Courtney's bed. What the heck was that? Courtney thought as she yawned and searched around to find out where the noise came from, until Arabella appeared squaking at her feet for a treat. "Quiet Ara! You'll wake up the others!"

Courtney then found the letter at her feet, and decided to wait until morning to write back.
Kaela,

What time did you ship Arabella off with the letter? She ended up delivering it in the middle of the night, little bugger. Lucky she didn't wake up the others, or I would be living with some angry Ravenclaws!

Classes have been okay, a lot more work than usual, but I suppose that comes with being a fourth year students. Oh by the way, we have quite a few new first years! I am very excited to see the Ravenclaw house growing so much!

Things are tense over there? Well, that's no fun. Why don't you and Finn go horseback riding? I know you both enjoy it, and it will give you two time to bond like siblings, or whatever you call it.

Lots of love
Courtney

Courtney,

Well, I sent the letter in the middle of the day.  At least, it was the middle of the day for me...Oops.

Yeah, it seems like every year it's just more and more work!  I hope it gets easier at some point.  I'm not in any type of school over here, so I'm bored as all get out.  I can't wait to get back there and learn some new spells!

I guess I could offer to go horseback riding with Finn.  Actually, that's not a bad idea.  I'm gonna go ask him after I sent this letter.  Thanks!

-Kaela

Kaela!

Hahahaha, it's so weird that we're in different time zones. But, you'll be back in New Zealand soon, so we don't have to worry about letter sending for much longer!

I don't know if it will get any easier though. Soon it will be time for OWLS and NEWTS, and to tell you the truth I'm a wee bit nervous!

Anyways, have a good time horsebackriding! Let me know how the horses are doing! Did Finn fall off his horse? Haha, I'm joking! How was your bonding experience?

I don't think I've ever asked you this, but how old is Finn?

Write back soon!
Courtney

Courtney,

Finn is just turned 16.  He's about a year and a half older than me.  We did go horseback riding, and it seemed to help.  No, he didn't fall off!  That would've been funny, but no.  I think things are gonna be all right.

Talk about irony.  As soon as I wrote that my da came in and said I have to go to the hospital with him.  I'll write you later.

-Kaela

Courtney scratched her head as Arabella appeared with another letter from Kaela. Darn, I've run out of owl treats! "Er, sorry Arabella, you'll have to have some chocolate or something instead."

Courtney eagerly read the letter from Kaela, and quickly began to write a response.
Kaela McIlvoy,

We, unfortunately, have been forced to remove your bed from our dormitory. Apparently it has been shifted to a room with quite a few first year girls. It's a rather clogged space actually. Sorry about that.

Moving on... How has your family been doing? I hope everything is alright. I can't see the hospital being an enjoyable place to be, but I guess it could be worse.

Too bad Finn didn't fall off, would have been amusing for you. But I'm glad he's not being as annoying! See, my idea of bonding was a success.

Write back soon!!
Courtney

PS - By the way, we didn't move your bed. Just wanted to give you a little scare!

Courtney,

NOT FUNNY!!!  When I get back I'm gonna pull some major Weasley pranks on you.  That is assuming George lets me keep my job.  I'm sure he will, but you never know.

I just got back from the hospital.  It's really late here, so I'm going to get to bed.  As soon as I finish your letter that is.

Yeah, bonding with Finn was nice.  It was definitely a good idea, thanks.

OK, well, now I'm gonna go.  Hope to hear back from you soon.  Take care, and tell everyone I said hi!

-Kaela

Courtney,

I haven't heard back from you in a while, so I decided to write you again.  My ma passed away a couple of days ago.  Just thought you should know.  I don't know yet what's going to happen with coming back or anything like that.  I gotta go, I'll write back soon.

-Kaela

When Courtney received Kaela's letter, she felt terrible. Poor Kaela. Courtney had no idea what she could do for her friend during this rough time, and stared at the letter Kaela sent, wondering what to write back. I'll write back to her a little later. Maybe I'll send a few things along with it.
Kaela,

I'm so sorry about your mom, spend as much time with your family as possible, and don't worry about coming back to Hogwarts right now. You're one of my best friends, and I'll always be here for you. So if you ever need someone to hang out with or something, just send me a letter and I'll fly over there if I have to! Anyways, how are you doing? I really hope to see you soon.

- Courtney

PS - Don't eat all of the chocolates at once. Don't let Finn steal them all either!

Courtney attached the chocolates and flowers to the letter, and handed it all to Arabella. "You know where this is going, Ara. I'll give you some treats when you get back!"

Kaela was quite surprised when Arabella dropped in with flowers and chocolates. She smiled and took the flowers, putting them in a vase next to the purple roses Kale had given her. Sitting down at the table she opened the box of chocolates, popping one in her mouth as she read Courtney's letter.
Courtney,

This letter is for your eyes only.  If anyone else is in the room with you, leave now.  I mean it.

Thank you so much for your letter!  I really appreciate it.  And the flowers and chocolates.  Chocolates are always good.

I've been doing all right actually.  My da has finally started to get back into living again and Finn is being pretty nice to me.

Oddly enough Kale has been keeping me sane by writing me.  I...I think I might like him Courtney.  Is that bad?  I don't know if he likes me, but, I think he might.  I don't really know.  Has he said anything about me?

Anyway, what I'm really worried about is Estrella.  How has she been?  I haven't heard from her at all and last Kale said she punched him when he walked in on her talking to her dad.  I don't want to hurt her, but, I really do like him.  I don't know what to do!

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Kaela

Kaela!

OH MY GOSH! You like Kale?! Wow, that was something that I didn't see coming! If you really like him, ask him out. I bet he'll say yes. And it should be fine since he is no longer dating Estrella.

Speaking of Estrella, I haven't been talking to her much lately. I didn't even know that she had punched Kale. She's been really anti-social lately, I don't think she really wants to talk to many people.

I hope you're having a good time at home. Eat as much candy as possible and have a happy HALLOWEEN!

-Courtney

PS - Happy Birthday! You thought I forgot, didn't you?  :p

Courtney,

Of course I didn't think you forgot!  I was a bit worried, but I knew you'd pull through.

Yes, I like Kale, but shhh.  I don't want people to know!  Especially him.  Is it really that hard to believe?  I mean, he's totally been awesome this entire time I've been gone, writing me all the time.

Ask him out, are you nuts?!  The fact that he is Estrella's ex is good reason to be worried about this.  Especially if she's been anti-social and punched Kale!  What if she doesn't want anyone to date him? What if she gets really really upset with me for even liking him?  I don't want Estrella to hate me.

Oh by the way, it's official, I'm coming back!  I talked to Headmistress Barker and I am coming back next term as a third year.  I'll be a year behind, but at least I'll be there!

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Kaela

Courtney began to bounce around her dorm room when she recieved Kaela's letter. Yay! She's coming back! I can't believe it, and she said she was coming back for sure!
Kaela!

You're coming back so soon! I'm so excited! Ahh, it will be like old times again! Who cares if you're behind? That doesn't matter, as long as you're back!

Hehehe, like I'd ever forget it was your birthday! What did you dress up as for Halloween? Did you party or anything? The feast in the Great Hall was delicious, as usual.

Now, I'm not going to tell anybody that you like Kale. But you should tell him! I had no idea he was writing to you all along, haven't actually talked to him in a long while, unfortunately. I don't think Estrella would hate you for liking her old boyfriend, I mean she's your friend. She should be happy for you as long as you're happy.

Just think about asking him out!

Write back soon!
Courtney

Courtney,

I SO cannot ask Kale out, are you crazy?!  What if he doesn't like me?  What if he was just being nice?  That would be so embarrassing.  And then everyone would know I liked him including Estrella, and things would be awkward between me and Kale.  Absolutely not.

For Halloween Finn and I had a horror movie marathon.  It was really fun.  My da even watched a few with us.  Nothing as exciting as a feast, but it was fun.

But yeah, I'm excited to be coming back!  I can't wait to see everyone!

-Kaela

Users who are viewing this thread

Back